Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bremore Passage Graves

• 22-01-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

A few photos of Bremore Passage Graves/Tombs from 24 Dec 2010, known locally as The Moat.

These date from Newgrange times, with five in total, four small remains and one larger.

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/536967

I walk by this regularly and they have a special place in my heart.

45a081116274450.jpg 5bf824116274456.jpg 3036e9116274467.jpg 6dd13f116274480.jpg bbcd9c116274496.jpg ae0057116274519.jpg c7a4cc116274542.jpg 5731bb116274559.jpg 626f2e116274579.jpg 8383b4116274594.jpg becd3d116274616.jpg efe8d7116274635.jpg 221dfd116274645.jpg 7489b3116274662.jpg cf0c91116274680.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Whats the current update with the big massive evil port they were going to build on top of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The Moat? somebody pulling your leg our? Nice pictures though....

As for the port, its a goner........ meath cc are skint and Drogheda port not much better...... Thank god (on an athiest way ) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

somebody pulling your leg our? )
    No, our lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nice to see the port isn't happening anymore. They're in a fairly poor state by the looks of things though which is sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Where are these in relation to the carpark overlooking the sea with the harbour to the right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Bluetonic wrote: »
    No, our lad.

Regular walker around that area for years too, but never heard that name for it. Although in fairness, most brig heads probably don't even know of their existance :pac:

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Regular walker around that area for years too, but never heard that name for it. Although in fairness, most brig heads probably don't even know of their existance :pac:
    It's a ten generation Balbriggan thing, not known to blow ins.

Must be known as that by very few locals so!

Where are these in relation to the carpark overlooking the sea with the harbour to the right?

Bump for the blow in;) Above i'm where the martello tower is!

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil!!! Gonna go down nwxt chance i get- its half way between the delvin bridge and the martello tower but looks as if you cant get to it walking from the martello tower side with farmed land being in the way?

You can walk/climb around the rocks on the coast at low tide but I wouldnt recommend that way! There's a small walkway leading from just after the Sailor's Grave up to the fields above. You can walk along the outside of the field on the grassy verge.

You can walk/climb around the rocks on the coast at low tide but I wouldnt recommend that way! There's a small walkway leading from just after the Sailor's Grave up to the fields above. You can walk along the outside of the field on the grassy verge.
    At low tide it's just like walking on any other beach at low tide, very safe and easy. Even at high tide it's still possible to get around the rocks.

As sirpsycho says at high tide though use the old slip which was used to transport herrings from the old harbour here to Balscadden. The old harbour was Newhaven Harbour and was built around 1562. Not much remains of it now it's believed this was a thriving fishing port. The slip itself can get quite muddy so best avoided unless you've good footware.

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/538383

The man made pile of rocks in the middle of the photo above was covered in timber to make the harbour pier.

One of the problems with the harbour is that most likely the easy accessible rocks from the passage graves were use in it's construction back in the 16th century. However a few remain, most noticeably in the middle of the field.

Is there any further info on the web about this old harbour?

Further up the coast heading north, you can also see the remains of the Lowther Lodge harbour.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,719258,765930,6,9

Nothing to do with the passage graves but I took this pic out at the rocks on the headland. There was an old wreck wedged between the rocks and people had nailed lots of shoes to it over a period of time.

Pic was taken in August 2004 but in early 2007 it vanished after a big storm. I found some of it in august 2007 near Lowther Lodge beach/harbour with 3 shoes still attached.

Anyone know the story of this shoe wreck? Wreck of Lost Souls?

Advertisement