Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant

Options
  • 22-01-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Does anyone know when the grant will be transferred to our accounts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hungrystudent

bken1991 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the grant will be transferred to our accounts?
    Was about this time last year, 18th jan I think, so shouldn't be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

It all depends on your County Council, there can be a month of a difference between some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You can check here whether it has been lodged or not

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/836019769.xls

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

This has really been sickening my testicles this year. Last 2 years, Lim Co Co haven't been later than 7th and now it's still not there..... Would love to know why....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

**** sake my grant cheque has been in the college for 9 days now and still hasn't been lodged. What's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

checked my student account says my cheque has been issued bt no cheque yet in my bank account??

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭clancy wiggum

anyone have any idea when the cork city vec grant should go through? still no sign of it for myself ............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

My grant has been with saa for 13 days and now it says it won't be lodged until the 5th which is Saturday?

What the F is going on there? I'm bloody cold and starving and can't heat my home until I get paid. There's a good chance that I'll have to miss days in college this week due to not having any money for petrol :(

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

What is the final part in the getting the grant? What do the SAA have to do with it before you can claim it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

mud wrote: »
    My grant has been with saa for 13 days and now it says it won't be lodged until the 5th which is Saturday?

What the F is going on there? I'm bloody cold and starving and can't heat my home until I get paid. There's a good chance that I'll have to miss days in college this week due to not having any money for petrol :(

Same with me now, was lodged yesterday though. Send an email to complain it's the only there'll be any sort of reform in the system.
    mulner92 wrote: »
    What is the final part in the getting the grant? What do the SAA have to do with it before you can claim it?

You don't claim it, they lodge it to your bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

If it's any help to people it usually takes banks 3 working days to clear a cheque (shower of gypsies that they are).

IMO grant system is a mess...should be one central authority for dealing with them rather than each individual local authority. This leads to hideous inconsistency and lack of efficiency. Peteee and Sceptre know how much I dislike inefficiency :)

rmacm wrote: »
    If it's any help to people it usually takes banks 3 working days to clear a cheque (shower of gypsies that they are).

IMO grant system is a mess...should be one central authority for dealing with them rather than each individual local authority. This leads to hideous inconsistency and lack of efficiency. Peteee and Sceptre know how much I dislike inefficiency :)

Lucky for me that my bank clear the cheque immediately. They know I need it and also they've known me since I was a little girl so I must give them kudos for that much.

I just can't believe that SAA are allowed to carry on the way they do. I'd prefer to go in and take the cheque to the bank myself. You can be damn sure I wouldn't sit on it for almost three working weeks before I deigned to lodge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I asked about this today - strangely Limerick Co Co, who in previous years sent out the cheques very early didn't send them out until about 20th or thereabouts.

Also, apparently they usually come in in batches but this time it's all one batch.

Lastly, they say in SAA that because of the timing of them coming in they can't be processed due to registration or something? So, to some extent you can thank the 1600 or so dopes who didn't register on time and for whom the registration deadline was extended.

So far as I know very few (if any) other colleges have the grant sent to them. I'd still love to know why it is it can't be directly sent to the applicant.

I asked about this today - strangely Limerick Co Co, who in previous years sent out the cheques very early didn't send them out until about 20th or thereabouts.

Also, apparently they usually come in in batches but this time it's all one batch.

Lastly, they say in SAA that because of the timing of them coming in they can't be processed due to registration or something? So, to some extent you can thank the 1600 or so dopes who didn't register on time and for whom the registration deadline was extended.

So far as I know very few (if any) other colleges have the grant sent to them. I'd still love to know why it is it can't be directly sent to the applicant.

I know that's very annoying, does it take much effort, a couple of clicks is all that's needed and strange North Tipp issued letters about grants early compared to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marshmallowie

ninty9er wrote: »
    You can check here whether it has been lodged or not

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/836019769.xls
    This may sound very blond, but in the link you put up what does "EFT" stand for, I'm getting my grant through Cork Vec and its paying it through that! I'm confused!!

EFT = Electronic funds transfer. Ie not a cheque.

And that registration excuse was bull, Tipp got theirs before registration week.

My cheque was with SAA for over 3 working weeks. Administration and beaurocracy = curse.

Must really try and get the paperwork finished next week, have to go to the bank etc, especially before more councils finally sort out the grant. Be nice to have a bit of money for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

All institutions have cheques sent to them. Some councils bay by EFT which goes direct to the student.

In UCC, UCD...hell most places. There is a take a ticke system where students queue on a nominated day for their cheque. Don't get it by closing time, you wait 'til next week/fortnight.

The UL system is actually much better than most. You are not required to queue and publicly identify yourself as a grant recipient for a start, you are not left in a raging long queue with a few hundred other people for another.

I'm not one to undeservedly defend the University, but at all levels they are aware this is an issue, but staff don't grow on trees and when you have a €3 million deficit, you can't go hiring extra people without considering the implications on other resources.

I've requested the University to push the HEA and Dept. of Education on the single grant authority being in place for next year (not holding my breath to be honest) but University management doesn't like the idea of you waiting 15 days for your grant as much as you don't.

Does anybody know where there is a photocopier in ul? Just has to do with the grant, thanks.

There are several in the library. In 3-hr loan on the ground floor and two photo-copying rooms on floor 1 and floor 2 respectively. Buy a card from the machine and off you pop.

• Advertisement

Thanks and i know the SU sell stamps. DO O'Mahonys seell envelopes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

mulner92 wrote: »
    Thanks and i know the SU sell stamps. DO O'Mahonys seell envelopes?

yes :D

My grant says I'm entitled to full adjacent of 1250. I'm in the midst of filling out the form for U.L, just unsure what grant type i fall under, is it maintenance grant + full fees, just full fees or part fees only? Trust North Tipp VEC to make it unlcear.

Apply for everything! Go for the most and see what comes back to you.

By the sounds of it you're on full fees + grant but nothing will be certain until you get the confirmation in writing from your council office.

Best of luck!

Thanks mud. You're probably right too, people i've talked to would agree with you, fingers crossed i guess, haha.

Anybody know how long it takes the grant to lodge into your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

The excel spreadsheet that Ninty9er posted say that Limerick Co Co will be lodged on 17th, (used to say 16th) and that it has taken 7 days from they received it on the 4th Feb. Now being generous and not counting the 4th it will be 9 working days not 7. also I know that they received the payment from the Co Co on at the very latest 28th Jan as they refunded me my €28 and I still have the cheque from UL dated for that day. so that will be nearly 3 weeks.
    Now I'm lucky that my hubby's is on the dole and we can afford to wait 6 months for my grant to be processed and paid. :mad:

Advertisement