Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which hospital for A&E?

Options
  • 22-01-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

We've been now over 5 years in Greystones, but just realized that in the case of a medical emergency, we wouldn't know which hospital to go to.

Which is the closest/fastest to get to? (St Columcille's?)

Would you go to it for all problems, or for some problems, like a suspected heart attack, would you go to a different one?

Thanks all,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Closest is Loughlinstown, and if you ever get taken to A&E by ambulance that's where you'll probably go, but it hasn't got the greatest reputation and if you were able to make it under your own steam and in time I'd go to St. James's Vincent's myself.

EDIT Meant Vincents, much closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

loughlinstown is the closest but if it was something that wouldnt require an ambulance, i would head for st vincents or st micheals in dun laoire

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

st micheals in dun laoire

is there A&E there?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

unless it was an absolute life or death emergency I'd bypass Loughlinstown and go to Vincents a+e, or tallaght for the kids. Wouldn't go to James' a+e. The staff are great but the clientele are not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dr ro wrote: »
    tallaght for the kids

there's no point going to Loughlinstown with kids afaik - they'll just send you to Tallaght or Crumlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Good thread darter...worth knowing.

I would have immediately thought of Loughlinstown, but then what does Newcastle hospital offer? I know it's there but in an emergency, and jumping into the car to go to an A+E, I'd be questioning whether there was a nearer one than Loughlinstown.

As for the point about a Children's A+E, defo go for Tallaght before Crumlin. Very, very good staff in Tallaght...Crumlin is big and very busy plus would take longer to get to.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Would anyone be able to give EXACT directions to these mentioned a+e's? (Maybe as a sticky?) Then we could all write out our own copies and keep them in the car for an emergency. (I think most people wouldn't have time to do a dummy run and also most people wouldn't know the exact locations or trust a sat-nav in an emergency).

Crumlin takes ages to get to on a normal day, so I wouldn't advise that for children in an emergency.Never been to Tallaght, but would appreciate the directions. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

loyatemu wrote: »
    is there A&E there?
    Yeah, 8am to 8pm everyday.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Good thread darter...worth knowing.

I would have immediately thought of Loughlinstown, but then what does Newcastle hospital offer? I know it's there but in an emergency, and jumping into the car to go to an A+E, I'd be questioning whether there was a nearer one than Loughlinstown.

As for the point about a Children's A+E, defo go for Tallaght before Crumlin. Very, very good staff in Tallaght...Crumlin is big and very busy plus would take longer to get to.

Newcastle is just a psychatric hospital, no a+e or general wards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Might be quicker and cheaper to go to Wales..?

Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor.
    2 hours on the boat, 20 min train ride and 5 min in a cab..

Depending on whats wrong with you of course..

Mary Harney has a lot to answer for... (Off topic and very sorry)

• Advertisement

For vincents hospital stay on the n11 all the way to the rte mast then turn right down nutley lane. The hospital is at the end on the right. Should take about 40 ish minutes in light traffic. For tallaght hospital which is adult and childrens a + e, take n11 then m50 to the tallaght exit(n81). Continue through the lights till you see a sign with a blue H directing you right. It's well signposted after that. Would probably take about 40 minutes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Don't forget the Beacon Hospital at Sandyford Industrial estate has a full A&E and the Swiftcare next to Balally Luas stop can deal with stuff like fractures too with much less waiting time than Vincent's or James'.

Swift care is ok if you've a minor injury. It's more expensive than vincents and quite often they transfer patients to vincents if they need extra care that they can't provide, resulting in two hospital bills. I'd go straight to vins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Not true. If Swiftcare send you to Vincent's, you don't get charged again for a&e as you've been referred and from personal experience, I was brought straight into a cubicle for treatment, although that may not be the case for all.

It's great for sports injuries too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

If you are having a mental episode head for Newcastle (aah the old jokes are coming back) otherwise the Beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Beacon Hospital.
    The emergency department will open from 8am to 6pm, from Monday to Saturday, excluding public holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

The IC Unit in Loughlinstown will save your life if you need it, bring the kids to Tallaght, the Beacon for other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Out of interest, if you call for an ambulance in Greystones does one have to drive all the way down from Loughlinstown or is there a closer service that can react to the call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

You mean that 10 minute drive in decent traffic with the lights and siren on?

We are very well placed for hospitals Greystones, think of those is Gorey for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

The ambulance will only take you to Loughlinstown hospital. Believe me you do not want to go there.
    If you can get there in a car or taxi then go to Vincents.
    Private A & E's are useless unless you can time your medical emergency to fit in with their limited hours.
    Also you will find you have to pay there and then. ie if you have a scan and blood tests you will have to pay immediately and later try and claim it back from your insurance company.
    I know as I had to do this (had to put 1250 on my credit card) and it took me over a year and a lot of hassle to get it back from my insurer as they tried to say I was only covered for A and E charge which is 150
    (oh and not really as I hadn't reached the excess)
    They tried to say I was not covered for any work or tests done at A and E.
    You should ring your insurer and check exactly what they cover at the private A and E places as the initial fee just gets you through the door. Everything else is heavily charged for. Question them very carefully, they don't like it but you need to know now...before an emergency.

• Advertisement

geem wrote: »
    The ambulance will only take you to Loughlinstown hospital. Believe me you do not want to go there.

Dangerous rubbish.

geem wrote: »

as old and run down as loughlinstown is, if it wasnt for them my grandad wouldnt have survived a major heart attack, he was told straight out by the icu staff he would not have made it to vincents. so id rather be brought there in an emergancy then have to be rushed to vincents or one of the other city hospitals

nobody said it's not a functioning hospital. The point is if you can make it to Vincents or elsewhere, do.

Huntthe wrote: »
    Dangerous rubbish.

I understood this was a serious discussion.

There are some who have had good experiences and some who have had bad experiences. I have endured several bad experiences with close family members.
    A hospital is not a restaurant. A hospital can not have good nights and bad nights.

I stand over what I say.

And would you recommend someone having a heart attack bypass Loughlinstown and try and make it to St Vincents ?

I have had my own experiences in Loughlinstown, personally and with family members. The ICU will save a life if required.

Huntthe wrote: »
    And would you recommend someone having a heart attack bypass Loughlinstown and try and make it to St Vincents ?

I have had my own experiences in Loughlinstown, personally and with family members. The ICU will save a life if required.

Of course the ICU will save a life - if they can. Not if required.
    If the patient gets into ICU and is not left in a corridor surrounded by drunks. If there are enough staff to look after them. If the equipment and environment is clean and sanitary etc etc.

I think if you read my post carefully you will see I am not making recommendations for people having heart attacks or otherwise.

I have some experience of this hospital and am merely adding this to the information here as asked for by the original poster.

I am saying if I had a choice I would go to Vincents. Heart attack victims usualy are carried by ambulance.

In an ambulance situation there is no choice anyway - as I said earlier the ambulance will take you to Loughlinstown.

There really is no point getting angry with me for sharing my experiences.

I can only suggest you visit A and E yourself some weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

If you're having a heart attack, you don't have a choice in the hospital the ambulance will take you to.

I have mentioned this a long time ago and I'd just like to let you all know that there are First Responders in Greystones. If someone is having a stroke, heart attack, cardiac arrest or choking; you call 999 or 112. The First responders in the area get the call and we go there to help before the ambulance arrives.

It also depends on where the ambulance is dispatched from. As we are between Wicklow town and Loughlinstown (two ambulance bases), the ambulances can be anywhere and there is no guarantee on how long they could get to Greystones for a heart attack, that's why we are around.

I my have digressed from the subject and I'm not promoting or anything, just raising an awareness that we are around.

The ambulance guys do a fantastic job, but they can only take to a hospital that is on call (be that Loughlinstown, Vincents, The Mater etc.) Patients may have a preference to go to Vincents than Loughlinstown. Be that as it may, but in an emergency you wanna get to the nearest hospital STAT! :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Plenty wrote: »
    I have mentioned this a long time ago and I'd just like to let you all know that there are First Responders in Greystones. If someone is having a stroke, heart attack, cardiac arrest or choking; you call 999 or 112. The First responders in the area get the call and we go there to help before the ambulance arrives.

Thank you Plenty for that information and reminder... I should get to know you guys personally... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Thanks darter. I mean this in the best possible way, but I hope we don't see you on the receiving end of one of our call outs. :)

If it's a case you want a better understanding of what we do, then please let me know.

• Advertisement

Plenty wrote: »
    If you're having a heart attack, you don't have a choice in the hospital the ambulance will take you to.

It also depends on where the ambulance is dispatched from. As we are between Wicklow town and Loughlinstown (two ambulance bases), the ambulances can be anywhere and there is no guarantee on how long they could get to Greystones for a heart attack, that's why we are around.

I my have digressed from the subject and I'm not promoting or anything, just raising an awareness that we are around.

The ambulance guys do a fantastic job, but they can only take to a hospital that is on call (be that Loughlinstown, Vincents, The Mater etc.) Patients may have a preference to go to Vincents than Loughlinstown. Be that as it may, but in an emergency you wanna get to the nearest hospital STAT! :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one)

Indeed and I have witnessed you (or one of your colleagues) at work when he responded to an emergency call and assisted a relative of mine.
    I am glad to have the opportunity to thank you for your great work.

Advertisement