Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

james connollys wife

Options
  • 22-01-2011 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

can anyone help
    where in wicklow did james connolly s wife lily come from
    she was lilie reynolds [church of ireland]
    i had heard she came from carnew but i cannot find any info or census info
    however there was reynolds in dunlavin
    but i am not sure if they are related in any way
    many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

The book James Connolly 'A Full Life' might be able to help you, I think they met down in Cork when James was stationed down there when he was in the British Army.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Rosita

According to the biography mentioned by another poster she was one of twins (her sister was Margaret) from Carnew. She had brothers Johnnie and George and her mother was a lady called Margaret Newman. Lillie's father died young and the family moved to Rathmines where she worked in domestic service with the Wilson family (stockbrokers) in Merrion Square. She was from a Church of Ireland family but subsequently turned Catholic in August 1916. Connolly met her while he was stationed at Beggar's Bush barracks in Dublin. Apparently they both missed the same tram at Merrion Square and met by chance in 1886 or 1887. They were married in 1890 in Perth, Scotland.

Advertisement