Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking care of the Boots?

• 22-01-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to look after the football boots?

Spent 50e on the 2nd pair of boots for the 8yr old today (Xmas voucher:D) - he's grown out of the first pair, but we really didn't look after them anyway.

Yer man in the shop sold me a bottle of 'Oxy-Sport' and he swore if I clean the boots with it after every match, I'll get ten years out of them (does he not know that kids feet grow:confused:).

Anyway, just wondering if any of ye have a 'way' to look after the boots - just so I can teach him while he's young. Do we just clean the muck off them - or do they just end up in tatters, no matter what I do? Clueless, once again...advice much appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Most realistic way yer gonna look after the boots is by keeping them indoors. No matter what you say and promise now, you won't be cleaning them after every training session/match. I've had a pair of boots (that I use on average twice a week) for 2 years now (world cups ftw:)) and all I've done is not left them outdoors. The only extra care I give them is putting newspaper in them if they get soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Great, I'd heard about the newspaper...so just keep them in the house too..great, thanks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Fittle wrote: »
    Great, I'd heard about the newspaper...so just keep them in the house too..great, thanks:D

But one wet training session and they are gonna stink out the place. If ya have a shed to store them in, it'll be better for you, your house and the boots too!

I find if mine get smelly, I put some scented talcum powder and throw some of that into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Clean them after each match, especially if its decent leather.
    Bit of vasoline always helps to keep it soft too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Baby wipes after every match, all my young lads boots are in immaculte condiont. Odd how they clean the things they want :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Brush them once a month if you find the time, use a toothbrush to clean the ridges. Should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I have a pair of shoe horn type things that I throw into the shoes to keep the shape and stuff paper underneath them to soak up the water then just wipe them with a j-cloth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Try and clean them after each use and use an old tooth brush if needed, I put mine underneath the rad when not in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

On the topic of keeping your boots in good condition, a friend told me it's not wise to use football boots on astro as it can cause the boots to start ripping from the sole. Anyone known anything about that?

joe123 wrote: »
    On the topic of keeping your boots in good condition, a friend told me it's not wise to use football boots on astro as it can cause the boots to start ripping from the sole. Anyone known anything about that?

Most astros have signs about not wearing boots :D

i usually get the astro equivalent of my boot in runner form.

Assume its the solidity if the surface wrecks the boot, they are made for soft ground.

Seriously tho baby wipes they actually work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Polish them with shoe polish, if they're good old black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I've had both boots and astros go this way recently, I don't think the surface has too much to do with it (as I use my boots on grass only) more the lighter materials going into the shoe.

JPA wrote: »
    Polish them with shoe polish, if they're good old black.

When's the last time you've seen a pair of black kids football boots....they're PINK...pink I tell you!! What's the world coming to at all:eek::eek: Boys in pink boots...he's doomed;)

Thanks for all the tips guys...old toothbrush and babywipes it is in the morning so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

When's the last time you've seen a pair of black kids football boots....they're PINK...pink I tell you!! What's the world coming to at all:eek::eek: Boys in pink boots...he's doomed;)

Thanks for all the tips guys...old toothbrush and babywipes it is in the morning so!

You've got more problems then I have the answers for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Baby wipes for the outside .
    Stuff with newspaper for the inside .
    If good leather then a quick rub of Vaseline .

Sorted !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Is that you, Mrs Bendtner?

Nah, as long as they are firm ground studs you're fine on most astro pitches. I always wear my mouldies on astro, it's no big deal. Unless it's heavily raining, the you'll be slipping all over the place.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Nah, as long as they are firm ground studs you're fine on most astro pitches. I always wear my mouldies on astro, it's no big deal. Unless it's heavily raining, the you'll be slipping all over the place.

I'm sorry but moulds , blades or studs should not be allowed on astro .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I've never heard of the vaseline thing before ... handy.

I always found with new boots the leather in the heel would often give me blisters in the beginning and a bit of baby oil would soften up the leather quite nicely.

mixednuts wrote: »

Never did me or some of my mates any harm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Get him into the habit of giving them a good brush and clean after every match/training session.

As well as keeping the leather soft and supple, its a good discipline tool, if he takes pride in the tools he uses to play the game - he'll take pride in how he plays the game. ;)

Never did me or some of my mates any harm...

There are 2 aspects why you shouldn't .

1.)They wreck the playing surface.

2.)Depending on the local rules , if you are required to stay on your feet due to the tightness of space etc . then grass boots can be pretty dangerous.

Gone off thread .. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Mouldies or Blades without metal are fine on 3rd generation astro (i.e. proper artificial grass the studs can dig into).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mouldies or Blades without metal are fine on 3rd generation astro (i.e. proper artificial grass the studs can dig into).

Yep and if you're playing on an astro pitch before 3rd gen, ouch is all i'll say!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yep and if you're playing on an astro pitch before 3rd gen, ouch is all i'll say!

I have played on many 3rd hen astro pitches that are like patch work quilts with repairs due to grass boots been played on them .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I have played on many 3rd hen astro pitches that are like patch work quilts with repairs due to grass boots been played on them .

tbh you could wear silk slippers and there will always be wear and tear, but the 3gen pitches are designed to take boots, if they tear up it'll be because maintenance isn't been kept up, or punks are breaking in and lighting fires on it for no reason (true and annoying story)

lordgoat wrote: »
    punks are breaking in and lighting fires on it for no reason (true and annoying story)

Jaysus that sort of stuff never goes on down here in Cork. :D Seriously though, mouldies are grand here, bar the one or two high boots, but they happen in regular games anyway, no big deal. Although if it's very wet/ icey I'd be sliding all over the gaff, so it's a good idea to have a pair of regular astro shoes as a back up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Football has changed. It used to be a clean with a brush and put a bit of polish on. Now people are on about vaseline and babywipes:eek:

Football has changed. It used to be a clean with a brush and put a bit of polish on. Now people are on about vaseline and babywipes:eek:

Unfortunately, you can't buy pink polish nowadays...grown men are wearing pink boots and so 8yr old boys want the same ones......it's more than football has changed:eek:

• Advertisement

Boots arent leather anymore some sort of synthetic vinyl would be the closest i can think off.

What the **** are these abominations...

nike-safari-mercurial-vapor-superfly-II-2.jpg

Holy moly, are these vapor things any good like? They look so light that they'd tear in a moderately physical match. 300 quid too. jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It used to be the case that when you saw a player in the amateur leagues coming out with a colourful pair of boots the first thought was "who the f**k does this twinkle toes think he is" and proceed to show him close ups of the grass every time he touches the ball. Now every player has them.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Holy moly, are these vapor things any good like? They look so light that they'd tear in a moderately physical match. 300 quid too. jesus.

Vapors are suprisingly strong but they offer little protection.

Santa brought the Astro version of these to Fittle Jr...they were nowhere near 300 (50e)...I think they look like girls runners, but there's a load of them in school wearing them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

It used to be the case that when you saw a player in the amateur leagues coming out with a colourful pair of boots the first thought was "who the f**k does this twinkle toes think he is" and proceed to show him close ups of the grass every time he touches the ball. Now every player has them.:eek:

More targets :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement