Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe area Rahoon Galway

Options
  • 22-01-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Thinking of renting in Rahoon area of Galway. Is Glen Dara / Gleann Dara safe or is there Anti Social stuff going on. What is Cnoc an Oir like. Would people think these are safe areas for a girl to walk to from Uni?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'm living in Dun aras at the moment and it isn't too bad. Of course, that is student residence but the surrounding area doesn't seem bad. If you try to keep near the main road and are sensible. I do get the impression that some of the estates are bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

There are loads of students in Gleann Dara at the moment, who haven't any difficulty getting in and out or living there, its a friendly place, although there has been trouble with the houses backing onto Drom Chaoin, due to the troublesome types that live there. Just make sure you get the rent down to €750-€850, there are plenty of people renting there at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd say Glen Dara is grand, Rosan Glas, Rockfield, Ros Geal, Gort Greinne too.
    The estates and parks up Circular road tend to have more teenagers knocking about at night, and seem mixed enough with older residents. Currach Buí, built on one of the old flats' sites, would generally be
    considered a bit rougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Thanks for replies. New to Boards and still finding my way around. To get 3 super replies so soon after posting my query is really appreciated. :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ive lived in Rosan Glas before for a few years. Lovely place, and never had any problems, nor did I ever feel there were any problems near my doorstep. I walked home a few nights after a few brews and not a peep, but I aint a woman so its a bit of a different story.
    Ive a few reservations about other places, such as Glenn dara but as ive never lived there I cant say. I just wouldnt look/live there if I was renting etc.

As for walking to/from uni, what times are you talking about? Living near the main road is always a plus, the less obscure areas the better, especially at night. During the day/evening, there's a constant carpark of traffic out to west side to keep an eye on ya :D.

Nowhere is ever 100% safe tbh, and a few places near college have had attacks on women. Dun na Coiribe comes to mind recently, and Dun would of been regarded as a "safe" place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Isn't Westside/Rahoon supposed to be one of the dodgier areas of Galway??
    Cnoc an Oir is pretty far away to be walking to the college!

If you're looking to rent a house close to college I'd recommend anywhere near Eyre Square or Newcastle/Hazel Park/Moyola Park.. They're all within 10 minutes walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Poisonated, do you walk to from Uni and if so have you seen any trouble at Gleann dara entrance as you were passing by.

Black Knight, Rosan Glas looks nice, but too far out for poor student with no car !! Why can I ask would you not consider Gleann Dara if you were looking ?
    I was considering Gleann Dara as the houses are newer and presumably easier to heat than many older places nearer NUIG in newcastle / Shantalla. Its also only about 20min walk to Uni.

I wouldnt look at Gleann Dara because ive driven through that estate and it looked awful dodge. Maybe im just not the burnt cars and kids running around everywhere kinda guy.

You should check out cill ard (area) too. Right in town and only about 10 mins walk to college. If you havnt a car there's a wealth of places available to rent, all depends on your budget I guess, but theres lots.

As for heating houses, just ask when you go looking at houses what the usual ESB is (or oil/gas if they're not electric heating)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 galwaygirl1991

I lived in Cnoc an Oir last year, and I wouldn't advise it. It is awfully far from college and walking up the hill (Circular and Letteragh Roads) isn't very nice. You have to pass a halting site on your way and it gets pretty deserted near the top of the hill. I never felt very safe walking home, always tried to walk home with someone else. It gets pretty scary with the load of teenagers too!
    As for Glen Dara, was there a lot last year as my friends lived there, and that wasn't exactly nice is all i shall say. Always groups of people standing near the entrance and as you go into the estate it gets worse. Rahoon area in general would have a lot of burnt out cars etc.
    Personally I think you should look for a house on the other side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Would love to know where all these burnt out cars in Westside/Rahoon are that some people are on about because i for one haven't seen any in a long long while. More or less every estate in Galway have teenagers that hang around some corner or outside a shop etc. Can it be intimidating? Yes, but that doesn't make them 'rough' areas, if Rahoon/Westside was so bad they wouldn't get anyone renting at all.
    OP Corrib Park, Gaelcarraig Park and Laural Park are also good estates to look at and they are closer to the college than Glenn Darra

• Advertisement

I've lived in and near enough to Rahoon for the last few years, and years ago I lived/hung out there for 5+ years, and in that whole time I have NEVER walked by a burnt out car! Each of the parks and estates have their own vibe once you walk in. Glen Dara is fairly big, there has nearly always been a shop or takeaway there, so of course people will gather, and teenagers are knownhang out at corners all over. ;)

There is more 'hanging out' going on near the estates up Letteragh/Circular road, than say the estates that you would enter via the upper Rahoon Rd. Therefore from a safety perspective the latter is better and more brightly lit I suppose.
    Overall I have found Rahoon to be a great place to live, with a good sense of community if you are there a while. Obviously a bit different for students who may move a lot. I also think Westside gets a bad rap. It is a bit rougher around the edges but I have never had any major problems.

About it being far? Lads! Seriously? It's down the road to NUIG! GTI you'd need a bike but it'd be grand I'd say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Bun Caise is grand too, lived there last year with four other girls from uni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Rahoon area in general would have a lot of burnt out cars etc.

Do tell me where they are as I am from and live in Westside, yet have not seen one in a VERY long time. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

I wouldnt look at Gleann Dara because ive driven through that estate and it looked awful dodge. Maybe im just not the burnt cars and kids running around everywhere kinda guy.
    I could be wrong, but I think You're thinking of Droim Chaoin (up behind the Glenoaks, Hanley Oaks, Oaks hotel), Gleann Dara is at the traffic lights.
    I doubt there are very many houses to rent in Droim Chaoin and it definitely is a kip.
    Gleann Dara is grand afaik, a friend of mine has lived there for years and she hasn't a bad word to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Burnt ou cars ???????????
    My job takes me into every estate mentioned on this thread atleast once a week and in 5 years have never seen one.
    I would agree walking up hill to Circular road, Ros an Glas or Cnoic on Oir would mean you would have to be energetic. and Letteragh and Rahoon roads would be quieter traffic wise than Circular road at night.
    Though thereare always loads of people out jogging/walking dogs up to 9pmish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I have lived in Rosan Glas (Rahoon) for 8 years and I have never had a single bit of trouble, nor have I ever seen a burnt out car in any part of Rahoon; well at least the areas I would be passing. I'm from the east side but I have to admit that I prefer it over here. It's a 30 minute walk from my door step to Cross Street via Cooke's Corner and it's a 25 min walk to NUIG. I timed it before when I was renting rooms to students as it was often a question that cropped up. Salthill is just up the road also. I love it here. Gleann Dara could do with a bit of a tidy up but I think it's like that because of small minority.

Posters shouldn't say things about loads of burnt out cars in the Rahoon area because it simply isn't true and it's spreading dis-information.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

SparKing wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think You're thinking of Droim Chaoin (up behind the Glenoaks, Hanley Oaks, Oaks hotel), Gleann Dara is at the traffic lights.
    I doubt there are very many houses to rent in Droim Chaoin and it definitely is a kip.
    Gleann Dara is grand afaik, a friend of mine has lived there for years and she hasn't a bad word to say about it.

I used to work in the Droim Chaoin estate and it is not a kip.

OP I feel Galway is a relatively safe town. Off course caution should be exercised but there has been very few places I've lived in galway where I've felt "unsafe". Rahoon is a great area to live in terms of access to uni, shops, etc and you'll be walking home along a busy main road when coming home so it should suit you grand. Good luck with the house hunt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Poisonated, do you walk to from Uni and if so have you seen any trouble at Gleann dara entrance as you were passing by.

Black Knight, Rosan Glas looks nice, but too far out for poor student with no car !! Why can I ask would you not consider Gleann Dara if you were looking ?
    I was considering Gleann Dara as the houses are newer and presumably easier to heat than many older places nearer NUIG in newcastle / Shantalla. Its also only about 20min walk to Uni.

No. There are times that I have felt slightly intimidated in this area but overall, I thought it was a safe area. That being said, I am starting to get scared reading this thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I've visitedf most of these places, scaremongering not the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

I live in Glen Dara, its my first time in Galway and dont have a complaint about it. So handy with the chinese at the bottom, Westside shopping centre over the road and playing fields and running track there aswel.
    Children do run around durin the day but sure ud get that everywhere, where else are they meant to play and their parents wouldnt let them out if it wasnt safe.
    I can only talk about Glen Dara, but id have no problem living here again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The majority of scumbags from Westside did what is normal for scumbags: they either went to jail or to the cemetary. It's hard to believe people would think Westside is "tough" or "dodgy" nowadays... ye should've seen it in the 1980s!

SparKing wrote: »
    Nope, that's the one. At the lights. Wouldn't go there

User Named wrote: »
    I live in Glen Dara, its my first time in Galway and dont have a complaint about it. So handy with the chinese at the bottom, Westside shopping centre over the road and playing fields and running track there aswel.
    Children do run around durin the day but sure ud get that everywhere, where else are they meant to play and their parents wouldnt let them out if it wasnt safe.
    I can only talk about Glen Dara, but id have no problem living here again next year.

How the bitter hand of fath has come and beat me over the head. Just the otherday i was praising Glen Dara, well it seems someone must have heard me coz they've come in the night with their grubby little hands and stole all my oil...we just put in 300e worth 2weeks ago....Oh why Glen Dara oh why.......this happen to anyone else around the area recently. Is there even any point in reporting it? I rang the garda station in Mill street just to tell them that it happened and need to keep an eye on it and they gave all this crap about they will not listen to me unless i go in see them, which is fair enough but i was just lettin them know. Ah well learnt the hard way i suppose.

How the bitter hand of fath has come and beat me over the head. Just the otherday i was praising Glen Dara, well it seems someone must have heard me coz they've come in the night with their grubby little hands and stole all my oil...we just put in 300e worth 2weeks ago....Oh why Glen Dara oh why.......this happen to anyone else around the area recently. Is there even any point in reporting it? I rang the garda station in Mill street just to tell them that it happened and need to keep an eye on it and they gave all this crap about they will not listen to me unless i go in see them, which is fair enough but i was just lettin them know. Ah well learnt the hard way i suppose.

Oh its going around all right. linky

Theres more to add to that thread too. My post in it (regarding lads I know having their oil stolen) has happened again. Over christmas, oil gone.

As a matter of interest User Named, is your oil tank reasonably "open" to theft? You know, no side gate etc? I've just got mine filled and I'll take up 24 hour watch with the katana if I think anyone's going to go near it.
    Hard luck BTW. These thefts often seem to be purely a matter of chance as to who gets hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    As a matter of interest User Named, is your oil tank reasonably "open" to theft? You know, no side gate etc? I've just got mine filled and I'll take up 24 hour watch with the katana if I think anyone's going to go near it.
    Hard luck BTW. These thefts often seem to be purely a matter of chance as to who gets hit.

thats awful and i'm sure you are raging, but its not exclusive to Glen Dara or Rahoon - its all over the town and suburbs.

I think you've quoted the wrong guy there?

Dan_Solo wrote: »

We live in the second house in from the main road in one of the rows. We locked the sidegate through the passage at the side of our house. We padlocked the cap on top of the tank aswel.. but by the looks of it, house closest to the road has a big back gate to it that leads out to the road, ours and that houses tank sits side by side at the fence that divides us and them. The neighbours arnt in coz went to see if theres was stolen aswel as their cap is loose...its one of them things that u think wud never happen to u, il know the next time..good luck with urs.

Thanks Black Knight, il take a look at it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I rang the garda station in Mill street just to tell them that it happened and need to keep an eye on it and they gave all this crap about they will not listen to me unless i go in see them, which is fair enough but i was just lettin them know.
    Ask for Ronan McNulty by name, he's the community Garda for the area.

• Advertisement

I wonder are they maybe following the oil trucks? They could be watching a depot for trucks leaving. Wonder if there's a correlation between one particular company and if there being targeted themselves to be followed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement