Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you adopted or fostered?

• 22-01-2011 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Share your story. Have you fostered or adopted animals? Pics appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

I fostered 5, 5 week old tabby orphaned kittens from the WSPCA during the summer. It was brilliant :D I only had them for 2 weeks but it was so hard giving them back :( They were my first foster kittens and couldn't have been better. Their names were Tigger, Tim, George, Twinkles and Juliet :) I will definitely be a foster parent next summer and 2 of my friends thought it was a great idea and have now fostered animals/will foster animals :D

I have over 500 photos of them :eek: so had to pick just a few :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Taz is our adopted staff X. Surrendered to the pound at 6 weeks after having her ear mutilated. She was a year in foster before we adopted her.

Trixie we also fostered her as a pup her owner was old and had no time for pups or spaying his dog she was supposed to be a terrier mix (we never saw the mother) lol but turned into a beautiful springer collie mix. She stayed with us for 6 months

Skylar the brindle boxer X was abandoned and we fostered her to save her from being pts. We had him 6 months and he is now with a rescue waiting for his forever home.

And soon we hope to adopt Garfield the ginger tabby. She was born as a garden cat. Her parents were fixed and all kittens homed.

and I am sure these wont be the last.... We love them all!

sotisme wrote: »
    I fostered 5, 5 week old tabby orphaned kittens from the WSPCA during the summer. It was brilliant :D I only had them for 2 weeks but it was so hard giving them back :( They were my first foster kittens and couldn't have been better. Their names were Tigger, Tim, George, Twinkles and Juliet :) I will definitely be a foster parent next summer and 2 of my friends thought it was a great idea and have now fostered animals/will foster animals :D

I have over 500 photos of them :eek: so had to pick just a few :)

Omg they are so cute, fostering gives a great feeling, helping an animal and all the love they give back. Its hard letting go. Well done to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Omg they are so cute, fostering gives a great feeling, helping an animal and all the love they give back. Its hard letting go. Well done to you!

Thanks :)Yeah, fostering's brilliant! When we got them they were timid but by the time we gave them back they were soo friendly! They would play and be petted all day:D
    It was so obvious they had been fostered as they were x10 times friendlier than the other kittens in the shelter that hadn't been fostered.
    When I went to the shelter a few days later to see them, 4 had already been rehomed and the one left was the friendliest kitten there (they were all in a big run and all the other kittens stayed away but our kitten bounded over and begged for attention!). I'm sure she was reserved and if she wasn't she was definitely going to find a home :D

I really recommend fostering as the animals you foster have such a better chance of getting a home if they have been in a foster home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

yes and yes.

definately will foster again when the time is right (my girl is due puppies soon)
    it's a great experience, assess the dogs for the shelter and future home, dog has a nice home and we have the privelage of (temporarily:() sharing our lives and homes with some amazing animals:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

We tried fostering once, in November '09, and the little bugger is still with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Have fostered and adopted - both are great experiences but fostering is not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

We adopted one of our dogs from the RSPCA (she's back in Canada with my mother) when she was a tiny pup (they were found in a bag at the side of the road :(), and my grandmother adopted quite a few older dogs over the years, so we've always had a mix of rescues about the place!

This one's mine :D (Ruby, aka Rubes, Beanie, Beaner, Beans), she's some kind of Shep mix of sorts but who knows what's in there:

First few weeks..
    n503798634_292839_759.jpg
    n503798634_292846_3581.jpg
    n503798634_321725_8093.jpg

4-6 months (I last saw her at 7 months :()
    n503798634_652288_9152.jpg
    n503798634_677631_310.jpg
    n503798634_451689_633.jpg
    n503798634_451713_9317.jpg
    n503798634_451692_1557.jpg

Sorry for the amount of pictures, I miss her loads and this gave me an excuse to go through all her pictures again. :o Really amazing little dog, very kind of stoic, mature nature (though with a healthy helping of goofball when the situation calls!)-- eyes that see right through you! Never had to formally train her, either; she was clever enough to pick it all up from just us talking to our other dog (unless someone was doing training on the sly, which I sincerely doubt). Even knows recall even though we never taught it to her and sure she'd never leave your side anyway.

One of those 'once in a lifetime' dogs that you just get and have a natural bond with, even though I only was with her a short time she was definitely 'my' dog. I'm lucky, I've had two of those now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I foster greyhounds. I started last February and have had six dogs in foster with me since then. I love it. It always amazes me how quickly they settle in. Especially when you consider these dogs have only ever known kennels before hand. As much as I love the individual dogs I love it when they head off to new homes and we get updates. Plus once one goes then I get to meet a lovely new houndie :D

(sorry cant do photos as no broadband here :( but you can see my lastest foster Rosie here http://www.kerrygreyhounds.co.uk/ under the I need a home section)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fostered 2 cats (a friendly mum and her painfully shy daughter)
    It was so rewarding gradually getting the daughter to come out of her shell, until it finally got to the stage where she'd jump onto our bed during the night and snuggle up with us :)
    Letting go was painful, but knowing that you've helped a lovely cat come out of her shell made it all worthwhile!
    Definitely going to do it again as soon as we live somewhere more suitable:)

• Advertisement

Wedgie wrote: »
    We tried fostering once, in November '09, and the little bugger is still with us.

hahaha yes thats the way it goes. What do you have?

liah wrote: »
    We adopted one of our dogs from the RSPCA (she's back in Canada with my mother) when she was a tiny pup (they were found in a bag at the side of the road :(), and my grandmother adopted quite a few older dogs over the years, so we've always had a mix of rescues about the place!

This one's mine :D (Ruby, aka Rubes, Beanie, Beaner, Beans), she's some kind of Shep mix of sorts but who knows what's in there:

First few weeks..
    n503798634_292839_759.jpg
    n503798634_292846_3581.jpg
    n503798634_321725_8093.jpg

4-6 months (I last saw her at 7 months :()
    n503798634_652288_9152.jpg
    n503798634_677631_310.jpg
    n503798634_451689_633.jpg
    n503798634_451713_9317.jpg
    n503798634_451692_1557.jpg

Sorry for the amount of pictures, I miss her loads and this gave me an excuse to go through all her pictures again. :o Really amazing little dog, very kind of stoic, mature nature (though with a healthy helping of goofball when the situation calls!)-- eyes that see right through you! Never had to formally train her, either; she was clever enough to pick it all up from just us talking to our other dog (unless someone was doing training on the sly, which I sincerely doubt). Even knows recall even though we never taught it to her and sure she'd never leave your side anyway.

One of those 'once in a lifetime' dogs that you just get and have a natural bond with, even though I only was with her a short time she was definitely 'my' dog. I'm lucky, I've had two of those now. :)

Oh he is so beautiful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

hahaha yes thats the way it goes. What do you have?

We have a Whipprador (TM, patent pending).

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

This is Boru. I do rescue runs for A Dog's Life (formerly K999) and he was one of our passengers about three years ago. The second I saw him I knew he'd be coming home with us, even though we already had two dogs. My husband saw the face on me and just said "Don't even think about it". We got down to Puppy Rescue in Inistioge and he wouldn't get out of the car. Brenda was all like "Ah look, he wants to stay with you." She saw the look that passed between OH and I, shut the boot and said "See you now, safe home." The rest, as they say, is history.

The night we brought him home:
    n552147677_892874_2648.jpg
    n552147677_892875_2915.jpg

Now

n552147677_892876_3191.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hoping to become a cat fosterer for CatsAid soon. Emailed them during the week actually so just have to wait and see :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

We adopted 2, year old cats from a shelter several months ago. They're sisters.
    They've gone from being relatively skinny to being on the plump side with shiny fur.
    One was seriously shy - wouldn't come near humans. The first day we got her, she ran out of the travel box, jumped on a shelf in the kitchen and wouldn't come out.Now she's sitting beside me on the bed, purring! She loves nothing better than rolling on her back for you to scratch her tummy (which is odd with a cat that's quite timid in nature). She runs ahead of you around the house, flinging herself on her back so you'll stop and rub her tummy. I've had a few near misses trying not to stand on her!
    Her sister, on the other hand, wants you to permanently scratch her head. She balances up on her back legs to catch your fingers with her paws (no claws!) and pull them against her ears, if your hand is dangling down.She comes when you call her and wants nothing more than to be on your lap at all opportunities! We eat our meals with both of them behind us on our chairs, with their heads under our elbows, watching the plates. They come and meet me every evening with delight, and follow us around the house all the time.
    Needless to say they're quite spoiled and I wouldn't part with them for the world!How anybody can be cruel to animals is beyond me, but I'm glad to think that my 2 have a happy home for the rest of their days now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My 2 cats were adopted from Jan in cats aid. My first rescues. Since I have fostered countless kittens. Usually only for a few days though. More like a holding area between vet and rescue. :)

I fostered dogs for a while too, Harley my dog came as a foster with his brother and sister, he got sick so couldn't be homed at the same time, we fell in love and couldn't let him go.

I stopped fostering dogs for about 2 years, but recently started again and I'm loving every minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I don't think I could foster as I would find it too hard to give back. However last week we adopted Fargo from Dogs in Distress, so far so good. They are actually starting to play. Sindy is a bit put out but they will get there :-) and she'll see we did this for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

We adopted Archie (or Comet as he was called) from the GSPCA about 3.5 years ago, my previous dog had died a couple of months before and I was so heartbroken I honestly didn't think i could have a dog ever again, eventually I decided I'd try volunteering so off I went, he was the first dog I walked and I just knew I would bring him home, took me a week to really think about if I was ready but deep down I knew he was the dog for me/us (we weren't married or living together at the time so he was 'my' dog primarily), he'd been found on the side of the road with a broken leg, probably hit by a car, thankfully a good person brought him to the vet, sadly the vet didn't set the leg properly so he has a permanent limp but it doesn't bother him, he's just adapted to it. Cut to 3.5 years later and me & my now hubby are besotted with the big fat lazy lump.

Our cat was brought into the vets with her brother and sister to be pts because the 'owner' just didn't want them, they were only a few months old. I took the two girls, sadly Sid got killed on our 'quiet' country lane a couple of years ago but Babs is safe and well and living the high life with Archie, whom she adores.

We hope to start fostering in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I adopted one cat about 5 years ago fromthe ISPCA, and I love her to bits. She's a fantastic cat, lively and affectionate, though it did take her a little while to open up when I first brought her home. She was quite wary and a little distant, and showed some obsessive-compulsive behaviour.
    Then one day as I was watching telly, she came up, jumped onto my lap and demanded cuddles. This has been an evening ritual ever since :D

Our other cat was a stray who showed up at our house last summer. He decided he liked us and the place, and has moved in and settled down since. He is as cuddly as a stuffed toy, no aggression at all in him, and by far the most relaxed cat I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Not to mention cute as a button :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

I have adopted a little Westie X from my local shelter, she has been with me three months now and I love her to bits, her name is Charlie.

I have fostered three dogs to date and while it is hard work sometimes and hard to give them back it is really rewarding, especially when you see them get a really good home afterwards.

Here's a picture of Charlie and my rescue cat Ollie, who is obsessed with watching my printer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

lost count of how many dogs and cats my family fostered over the years, id guess anywhere between 70-100
    adopted a few as well;
    dogs;
    ria
    ben
    lucy
    heidi
    sophie
    amy
    gypsy
    emily
    patch
    cats;
    cat
    luca
    timid
    and 4 cats whose names im not too sure of?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I've been fostering cats/kittens for 2 1/2 years. It can be hard work and has its sad moments but it's very rewarding and I would advise anyone interested to go for it.

Hazel was the very first one I looked after, she was just adorable, slept on my shoulder, loved cuddles and playing. I cried my eyes out when she was rehomed.
    5390748572_f0993e9327_m.jpg

Missy is the one that has never left, not sure what it was about her but when she was due to be rehomed I just couldn't part with her. She has a real odd streak but she's a great cat and I adore her. She's very tolerant of the kitty's that come and go here, despite the fact they often eat her food or sleep in her bed despite my efforts to keep things just for her.
    5390143635_17a2ea8eb3_m.jpg
    5390748726_d447260417_m.jpg

Twinkle came to the shelter after being attacked and abandoned at the vets. There was something about her and even though I was due to go away I brought her home for a few days as she was heavily pregnant. She had 4 healthy kittens in my kitchen and another fosterer took them while I was away. The minute I got home I went straight to get them and they stayed with me for another 8 weeks till the kittens were ready to go. I was away for a weekend and my mum minded them all and suddenly Twinkle was getting mentioned an awful lot in conversation. Fast forward 18months and Twinkle is the apple of my mothers eye and absolutely spoilt rotten.
    5390754704_c5ec67e4ed_m.jpg

Iolar was the most recent guest here, she was hanging around at work but evaded capture for a few weeks. I think had she known what indoor life was like she'd have jumped in the box like a shot. Her favourite spot was the hotpress or lying on the carpet over the heating pipes. She loved toys and would play for hours before falling down asleep (in a proper bed if she could get it). She's gone to a fantastic home but I did shed a tear as she was extra special to me as I rescued her.
    5390143251_974990b40f_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

I havent adopted or fostered per say, but i have rescued:)
    2 horses, 1 thoroughbred and a 2 yr old Sport Horse filly who i jst found out is pregnant:/ but thus is life! At least their both cozy in stables with full bellies:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Adopted:Yes
    Rescued:Yes
    Fostered: Not yet!
    Photos: waaaaay too many to include in this post :p

It all started with a cat I rescued from my workplace.....!

Eventually adopted 3 kittens: Sniffles,Skippy and Sooty :pac:

Then took in another random cat that appeared at work called Freckles
    Yet another cat hanging around work that was missing a paw, took him home and called him Tabby.

Then took in a stray cat found wandering in my local area that is near blind and has cat flu on constant medication and suppose to have died long ago but he won't and the vet is amazed at him! Called him Podge :D

Fed plenty of the starving neighbours cats too as they were in bad shape.

There were kittens at one stage as two of the cats got pregnant before I could take them to vets to be fixed. 4 of them survived in total. Gave one kitten away as my poor Mother was like "NO MORE CATS!SERIOUSLY!" :D:D The other 3 Garfield,Lucky and Patch stayed here.

Unfortunately over the years and despite regular vet checks/vaccinations some developed or already had leukimia(spelling I know) and some already had cat flu or bad immune systems and was only matter of time. :(

My dog Ginger found it odd at first but he soon loved them all and would only bark when there was a new stray cat around stealing his other wee friends food :D They miss him now he is gone too. Spent good few weeks looking for him bless them :(

Down to 3 now. Sniffles, Podge and Tabby. They the hardcore ones!

As for the fostering I'm moving at end of summer(finallllly!) and am only going to move to a house/flat that allows pets-so that I will be able to foster. Can't WAIT!:) Just a pity soo many renting places in Ireland do not feicin allow pets :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Myself and my partner have adopted 3 cats from Limerick Animal Welfare over the past number of years. Most recently however we adopted Marlowe from them as company for our female German Shepherd. Marlowe was in a pretty bad way when the guys in animal welfare got to him, but thanks to them he has come along in leaps and bounds and he is an absolute gentleman of a dog.
    Marlowes story can be read on the limerick animal welfare website....on the left click on "rehoming", "special cases" and then scroll down to Marlowe

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Myself and my partner have adopted 3 cats from Limerick Animal Welfare over the past number of years. Most recently however we adopted Marlowe from them as company for our female German Shepherd. Marlowe was in a pretty bad way when the guys in animal welfare got to him, but thanks to them he has come along in leaps and bounds and he is an absolute gentleman of a dog.
    Marlowes story can be read on the limerick animal welfare website....on the left click on "rehoming", "special cases" and then scroll down to Marlowe

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.ie/

I just read Marlowes story, jesus he looked terrible in those initial pictures but what a happy ending, he looks absolutely gorgeous now (as does your other dog) - happy days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Wow, well done marlowe! Your girl is gorgeous too! How are they both doing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Whispered wrote: »
    Wow, well done marlowe! Your girl is gorgeous too! How are they both doing now?
    Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I just read Marlowes story, jesus he looked terrible in those initial pictures but what a happy ending, he looks absolutely gorgeous now (as does your other dog) - happy days!!

Happy Days is right Tranceypoo...I dont know how someone could have treated him the way he did, he is such an amazing dog...so placid and friendly

Thanks Whispered, they are both great...they get on so so well and are totally inseparable. They have brought out the best in each other.

I love the mad heads on the two of em in the 3rd pic and I think he looks so happy in the last pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I have adopted and fostered often find the two go hand in hand!! He was a little pom corgi X and he stayed with me for 3 months! He came in such a state and it took everything not to cry when I first got him! He was so frightened and so covered in his own doodoos from his coat being so matted! I remember the first night he came I had him in the bathroom for about 2 hours trimming and cleaning the poor baby up. He had matts the size of my fists behind each ear and they were pushing his poor ears forward! When he was all cleaned and trimmed he spent the whole evening moving his ears backwards and forwards. . just because he could!!

I must say that little man really crawled under my skin and after 3 months it was very hard to let him go but I know he is with a fantastic family (because I get little updates every now and then!) and to hear how he is beginning to leave his baggage behind him is amazing!

Its tough but very good for the soul! It gives these guys a chance that they may not otherwise have had! My foster baby was due to be put to sleep the day after I got him in!

He was tiny but thought he was larger than life! he bullied my big lad around for the whole 3 months he was with us! But he had a face like butter wouldnt melt! Here is a pic of the 2 boys!! He is the one on the left!

Advertisement