Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicidal Tendencies appreciation thread

Options
  • 22-01-2011 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

______________________Suicidal+Tendencies.jpg ______________________
    Suicidal Tendencies are a hardcore/crossover thrash band that were founded in Venice, Los Angeles, California, in 1981 by the leader and only permanent member, singer Mike Muir. The band is credited as one of "the fathers of crossover thrash".[1] To date, Suicidal Tendencies have released eleven studio albums (one of which is a "double-EP", and two of which mainly contain re-recordings of their own songs), one EP, four split albums, three compilation albums, and two long-form videos.

Their debut was the 1983 self-titled debut album, which spawned the single "Institutionalized". That single was one of the first hardcore punk videos to receive substantial airplay on MTV. Suicidal Tendencies did not release a follow-up record until 1987, with Join the Army. The album attracted the attention of Epic Records, who signed the band in 1988 and issued their third album, How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today, later that year. This was followed by their next two albums, Controlled by Hatred/Feel Like ****...Déjà Vu and Lights...Camera...Revolution!, which were also successful and both certified Gold by the RIAA. After releasing two more studio albums (The Art of Rebellion and Suicidal for Life), Suicidal Tendencies broke up in 1995. However, they reunited in 1997 and have continued to perform and record since then.

Suicidal Tendencies emerged in 1981 from the Venice surf/skate scene.. in 1982 they were voted Worst Band/Biggest Assholes by Flipside magazine.. were linked with street gangs Venice White Boyz and V13 and adopted a blue crip style bandana and peaked 'suicidal' caps as their insignia, motifs featuring the artwork of Ric Clayton - many early shows degenerated into fighting with rival factions but was not long before their stock had risen and they had forged a street credibility resulting in their own Suicyco crew

Suicidal Tendencies (1982)

SuicidalTendenciesAlbum.jpg

the name of the group was a tongue in cheek slant on teenage angst and frustration. the debut album spelled this out - nothing sonically astounding here, formulaic original hardcore punk with a lot of solo's. crossover/skate-punk.. above average production

Join The Army (1987)

Join_the_army_ST.jpg

4 years since their debut.. the next 8 years would see a release almost every year for a group that leaned more and more toward metal, through which they forged their own distinct style. this was more metal/more crossover, some tremendous bass playing in particular, indeed the recording is bass heavy so no surprise that Les Claypool produced - great job at that. but if they were unsure where to take it in those four years after their debut, they had found their niche.

How Will I laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today (1988)

00000000000000059039_300x300.gif

likely their musical peak - i'd actually consider Suicidal for Life as the alternative but this is full-on metal, caught up in a dominant thrash scene but still their own distinct style. Rocky George had fully developed his guitar style at this point; well learned techniques of the trade but with a bluesy noux.. is it cos he is black :/ but the record is tinged with a sort of surf-metal, so-cal sound. distinctly late 80's with its reverberating snare shots

Controlled by Hatred / Feel Like ****... Dé Ja Vú (1989)

1227622714_st_fls_cbh.jpg

their most hardcore record from a thrash perspective. and was/would be my favourite but for the production sounded tinny/muddy, but for the ill-fitting Queensryche inspired ballad How Will I laugh tomorrow. is it even from the same sessions? shouldn't this have featured on the previous record. Mike was full-on cyco here; really pissed off. surprisingly this deliberately underground sounding effort was their first to go gold. seems success breeds..

Lights.. Camera... Revolution! (1990)

27566.jpg

utter failure. if this was the big time, then i don't wanna know :/ seemed to be a big marketing push for this one i recall some gaudy big money video promo's like 'Send Me Your Money' which seemed slightly ironic, but it did produce their trademark promo which portrayed them at their musical peak and defined the suicyco culture.. an album which i was lent but never owned. redeemable factors: You Can't Bring Me Down, Lovely, Get Whacked :/ all in all a poor effort. but for the irrepressible opening track

The Art of Rebellion (1992)

27567.jpg

continuing in pretty much the same vein as Lights, Camera.. if the previous album indicated the group had already achieved their peak n were on the decline.. this once cemented it.

Still Cyco After All These Years (1993)

27568.jpg

what better way of reconfirming "we're fresh out of ideas" then re-recording your debut. on its '10th anniversary'

Suicidal For Life (1994)

63588;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

remarkable recording tbh. maybe the material was not to everyone's taste.. how do others feel about it? how did they feel about it. did they foresee this as being a final album? the last from their classic line-up; no Rocky George = no Suicidal imo. also Trujillo was also an integral part by then, although having only been around for the 'gold' years. gold-digger?! certainly a solid character with bonding abilities.. which of course metallica were short of - but what seemed like the metal apocalypse was imminent. metal was at its lowest point, britpop was dangerously contagious and its impact seemed to throw a lot of metal acts off their stride. i recall a brace of dire albums from trusted names all coinciding around that time, and metal got desperate and tried to forge a trendy nu- style. from the ashes of which it continues to find its feet again

tbh if the group had continued in that vein i'd have been more than happy but they practically disbanded after it. 'Suicidal Tendencies' continues to tour and record.. they enjoy it and kids still brandish the insignia, so more power to em.

would like to dedicate this thread to Mick Byrne - 1972-2009.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I haven't listened to them in a while, im gonna break some out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Nice thread but have to disagree with you, bands evolve, lights camera was and is a great album.
    Dunno why people expect a band to stay the same forever, produce the same album over and over.

Guess we will agree to disagree!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Agree with slavetothegrind, Lights Camera is a great album and among all my buddies most would pick this as their favourite ST album.

Self Titled is fantastic too as said above full of teenage angst and brings back memories accordingly. I saw them play Sonisphere Spain last July and I finally got to hear I Saw Your Mommy live which was deadly.

My favourite without a shadow of a doubt is Art of Rebellion, it was a bit of change in direction for them . Bloody love this album, anything after didn't do much for me ,a few good tunes on Suicidal For Life but a bit samey after awhile.

This is my fav Suicidal track, Colossal Tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

too much filler on Art Of Rebellion n Lights Camera i thought, and some ill-fitting elements in the mix on AOR i thought but i liked the first three tracks.. could have been great EP's, the sound they settled on was fine only sui albums that sounded alike to me but the material was more miss than hit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It's Suicidal.

• Advertisement

also i'd appreciate if anyone who wishes to comment on which works they appreciate in particular would state why so maybe we can relate, or re-visit and maybe discover those elements for ourselves? even if a tune just happens to float ur boat - appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ST were a band I loved as a kid, and one that get regular plays from me to this day.

Gonna have to disagree with the OP about Art of Rebellion though. It was a very good album when it came out and it was a band stretching themselves musically imho. It is also an album that has aged very well.

Growing up I loved Join The Army and How Will I laugh Tomorrow... and viewed their later changes in musical style with a degree of suspicion, even flat out disliking Lights.. Camera... Revolution when it was first released. But time has been far kinder to their later stuff than their earlier stuff.

I still give How Will I laugh Tomorrow.. and the other early albums a blast every now and then, but whilst I still get a kick out of those albums, they do sound each and every one of their years at this point.

Throw on Art of Rebellion, something I did when I saw this thread this morning :D, and it still sounds fresh enough in terms of production and musicial style to have come out in the 2000's.

But whether a person listens to their earlier stuff or their later stuff, there is plenty of music to keep us all happy, and some great music waiting for people who may not have been around when the albums first came out or who didn't listen to them back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Class band. Picked up 'Join The Army', 'How..', 'Feel like..' on LP for dirt cheap a few months ago. Possessed to Skate is possibly the most hilarious metal video of all time, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Love Art Of Rebellion - feel they peaked with this one. Great band

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Metallica asked them to open for them in the early 90's and then took their bass player when they saw he wasn't reaching his full potential...for that, they are a band worth listening too, as back in the early 90s Metallica (or their manager) had a good foresight at picking opening bands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I wouldn't be a fan or anything but I liked a few of their famous songs in the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Huge fan back in the day! played Lights, camera, revolution so much my sister was a bit worried about me.

I got all my mates to follow them also we were like football fans! Used to stay up and watch headbangers ball on MTV and if ST were on it would be like Christmas.

Send me your money was my fav tune off the album... its timeless! it makes me want to bounce off walls!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For anyone who hasn't listened to ST in years then get your ears around their remakes of their debut & JTA
    http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/album/Still+Cyco+After+All+These+Years/259136
    http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/album/No+Mercy+Fool+The+Suicidal+Family/5215325

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Art of Rebellion is a great album IMO. Production on Lights.... is a bit rubbish, too trebly, tinny sounding..

How can one dislike Asleep at the Wheel with the fretless bass.

I need to check out Suicidal for Life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

i go through phases of listening to suicidal tendencies still a great band and im 31 now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Love Suicidal,criminally underrated by the metal fraternity imo. Art of Rebellion is my favourite,still gets a regular run on the ipod. Sadly still haven't seen them live yet,would love to before Mike Muir get's any fatter and can't make it on stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

AGGGH ROCKY GEORGE!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

To me "How Will I Laugh ....." is my favourite Suicidal album ... it's a masterpiece.

Metallica asked them to open for them in the early 90's and then took their bass player when they saw he wasn't reaching his full potential...for that, they are a band worth listening too, as back in the early 90s Metallica (or their manager) had a good foresight at picking opening bands

few acts turned down opening for metallica. they could rake in more than on their own tour, more exposure too - ST would play tight clubs atypically.. btw far as full potential goes, fairly certain there's not much of Trujillo's trademark funk slap style in there. n good thing he didn't play on AJFA, eh. indeed his trademark now seems to be if he can touch the floor with his scrote from a standing position - but ST would even branch out with a funk-metal side project just so as he could breathe more.. don't try tell me he's this shít-hot for metallica :o

- was harsh on the sony years into the '90s so apologies n i'll get around to patching it up when i revisit those albums. so not really scathing alright, just dismissive :/ didn't wanna cut/paste someone elses stuff.. turned out as personal opinion, inappropriate fuel for conceiving an 'appreciation' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Why? No real reason apart from nostalgia. The slow grinding distorted guitars on the riff had a very young me instantly hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Rocky George has been playing with Fishbone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Good thread. One of the bands that were always there or there abouts but never really made the breakthrough or perhaps the album that they could have. I remember seeing them on a kids TV programme called JO-Maxi circa 88 where they played Trip at the Brain on RTE!
    Saw them live once in Prague and they fairly shredded (1995). I actually agree that Feel like **** is probably their most balanced and rounded release along with Lights..., Join the Army was great too but I find their earlier albums a bit tedious now.
    One problem they had was there was always a bit of filler in their releases. Especially their last few albums that had some great stuff but alot of crap too. A few of my fave songs would be:
    Nobody Hears, No ****ing problem, Pledge Your allegiance, You Can't Bring me down, Lost Again, Master of no mercy.
    Great band.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have "how will I laugh tomorrow"great album,what else is worth getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I would recommend "Feel like ****...Deja Vu" and "Lights, Camera...Revolution"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yeah, why not

"embedding disabled by request" thank fúck :o if you have the nerve to watch this please tell mike that is.. not a good look. what really p!ssed me off about their output in the '90s was they had two vehicles yet no gas in either, the IG debut was some of the finest funk ever laid down, but damn if anyone's ever seen encino man that has to be the worst :/ glad i can refer to their metal days here, when thrash was the all conquering pop culture n anything it touched seemed to turn to gold

seachto7 wrote: »
    How can one dislike Asleep at the Wheel with the fretless bass.

I need to check out Suicidal for Life...

was one track where i felt the experimentation worked, was a nice promo they cut for it too.. i thought it were a critique on their own lagging productivity in the spotlight :pac:
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Sadly still haven't seen them live yet,would love to before Mike Muir get's any fatter and can't make it on stage!

the stage is mike's treadmill!
    buck65 wrote: »
    I remember seeing them on a kids TV programme called JO-Maxi circa 88 where they played Trip at the Brain on RTE!
    Saw them live once in Prague and they fairly shredded (1995).

Suicidal Tendencies perform on an RTé childrens show suggesting they take a "Trip At The Brain"? crazy days. musta bn when they were in town for the McGonagles show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

Metallergy wrote: »
    Suicidal Tendencies perform on an RTé childrens show suggesting they take a "Trip At The Brain"? crazy days. musta bn when they were in town for the McGonagles show

Did they play McGonagles and were booked again to play but it was moved to the Top Hat with M.O.D supporting? I can't quite remember but I do have a ticket from the ST/M.O.D gig in the Top Hat signed by a few from both bands (who were really sound). That was some day...mad crowd made of mostly of thrash heads, some punks and a few skinhead lunatics.

This brings back a few memories:

Actually I loved Feel Like sh1t/Deja Vu.

• Advertisement

dasdog wrote: »
    Did they play McGonagles and were booked again to play but it was moved to the Top Hat with M.O.D supporting? I can't quite remember but I do have a ticket from the ST/M.O.D gig in the Top Hat signed by a few from both bands (who were really sound). That was some day...mad crowd made of mostly of thrash heads, some punks and a few skinhead lunatics.

yeah it may well have been the Top Hat show in Dun Laoghaire.. that was in '89. McGonagles was '88. Jo Maxi knows..
    dasdog wrote: »
    brings back a few memories:

@ 2:35 :confused: these four bands don't make videos.. so ray grabs some of the 'wimp-rock' tommy just referred to from the charts :pac:

metallica didn't "start" thrash ffs. may have triggered a windfall for Tommy at the till but a lot of groups had begun recording if they managed to get theirs out before em then congratulations, but the scene was already in effect. metallimania knows no bounds :rolleyes: early motorhead is more thrash than metallica's debut

Advertisement