Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pcos?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MzMollz

Hi everyone,
    I too am a pcos sufferer. Like many I had kind of worked it out for myself before going to my doc. I found that my doctor kind of brushed it off, but took some bloods and said she would send me for scan, it took her 3wks to actually refer me and after being in agony for another 4 and a half wks I went and had a private scan done. They were brill, and after a abdominal scan and an internal scan I finally had proof. Everything was sent to my GP but to be honest I have no faith in her so I went to another doctor. She was lovely she really went through everything with me but nothing about my diet. I was put on the pill and was delighted to notice the difference in the hair growth (I had thick, dark growth on my face, chest and back), my cycle began to settle and I was pretty much pain free. Now I have a new problem. I have been feeling faint (fainting on occasion), nauseous and have been extremely tired (especially this time round) in the days leading to my period. This has only began in the last 2mths. I was going back to my doctor thurs as I have also been having pressure in my lower abdomen so am going to ask about this too. From what I have read it seems that it may be down to my blood sugars, has anybody any experience in this? Am I right in thinking that this is related to my pcos?

Btw its only been about 7mths since I was diagnosed. It has been confusing enough so it would be nice to have somewhere to turn to with people that are in or have been in similar situations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Liveen

What can you still eat? What kind of meals would you have? I'd be interested in this diet too but was put off by how much has to be cut out. Particularly cos I also suffer from IBS and already have to cut out fresh fruit and veg and wheat.

I found this website, especially its searchable food database, extremely useful when I first started on this new regime: http://www.glycemicindex.com/. You need some guidance like this as normal labelling ('hi-fibre', 'low in fat', 'sugar free', 'wholemeal', etc.) is no indication whatsoever as to the GI content of foodstuffs. Unless a food is clearly marked 'low GI' of course, and sadly very few manufacturers bother to do this. In a nutshell, all foods have a GI of between 0-100. PCOS sufferers like you and I are advised to stick to foods 0-55. Anything higher than 55 will send our blood sugars rocketing and aggravate our already hampered hormone production. A few examples: basmati rice is fine, but jasmine rice is out of the question. Hummous is quite fattening, but has an extremely low GI count. Same with meats, fish and eggs. However, rice cakes, a foodstuff which I always connected with healthy eating, have a sky-high GI. Several well-known breakfast cereals which are sugarless and full of grains also have sky-high GI!!! It's such a frustrating regime at first because it's so impossible to guess at what you can eat, but you get the hang of it after a while. Kinda ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pmacn

Hi, i've just been diagnosed with PCOS four months ago. I had tests for it about 10 years ago, but i was told that they were all negative and was put onto dianette to regulate my cycle and ease my pains. The last year i have had a 2 week cycle, so i was not ovulating, and therefore had become infertile. i am since back on the pill for the last 4 months, cycles have regulated, but the pain has intensified. I am about 1 and a half stone over weight, but can never maintain any sort of weight loss. My moods are crazy, i'm up and down, if this pill does not work, i have been told i will be put onto medication called Glucofage?? I have also been informed that conceiving will become difficult within the next 2 years, as i am turning 30. Can anyone relate to what i am going through, and shed some light on how pcos can affect fertility, and what i can do about it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

pmacn wrote: »
    Hi, i've just been diagnosed with PCOS four months ago. I had tests for it about 10 years ago, but i was told that they were all negative and was put onto dianette to regulate my cycle and ease my pains. The last year i have had a 2 week cycle, so i was not ovulating, and therefore had become infertile. i am since back on the pill for the last 4 months, cycles have regulated, but the pain has intensified. I am about 1 and a half stone over weight, but can never maintain any sort of weight loss. My moods are crazy, i'm up and down, if this pill does not work, i have been told i will be put onto medication called Glucofage?? I have also been informed that conceiving will become difficult within the next 2 years, as i am turning 30. Can anyone relate to what i am going through, and shed some light on how pcos can affect fertility, and what i can do about it? :confused:

basically its a try and see if it works for you with over the counter remidys, but if it helps its worth a go.

id speak to a gp to see what you can do to help it medically, diet is a big part of it and exercise also.. In regards to weight it can help improve fertility, and also help if your diabetic. So maybe make up a routine of healthy exercise and gradually edge into it, no point going full steam ahead, you'll wear yourself out quickly, and a bballanced diet, I think if you cut out all bad foods your more likely to quit, but if you regulate it, then you can have the best of both.

I havnt personally heard anything about it getting harder after the 30 mark, but again I only heard of this in the last 2 months, so maybe better to ask someone whos been there.

are you at a point now where you want a baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leelaloui

i am 26 years old and three years ago i had a diarmoid cyst which ruptured and i lost my ovary and fall open tube and was then diagnosed with pcos i was put on dianette and while this pill was excellent to my skin no spots my mood swings were unbearable when i went to my doc he said mood swings are very common with this pill i have since been put on qlaria and it is brilliant for me no mood swings very light period

• Advertisement
Advertisement