Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The name of your pet and why.

• 23-01-2011 1:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Question is the thread title. Name and why.

My Labrador is named Nico, shamelessly named after Nico Roche and Nico Rosberg my favourite cyclist and favourite F1 driver respectively. I knew I didn't want a name ending in the y or ee sound, e.g Heidi or Molly or something silly like Patch.

Anyway a couple of people have told me its a great name upon hearing it, including my vet who said it was so original yet it seems recognizable.

Actually now that I think about one of our childhood dogs was called Simba. He was a big golden Great Dane. The fúcker was probably the size of a Lion too! The name was rather apt now that I look back!

Anyway I want to hear all of the great names and stories out there..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Obama..chocolate lab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Patrick is named after the starfish in Spongebob Squarepants.

Winston's
    name came from Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels - "Chill Winston".

Both are female cats :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Phantom - she is white except for a mask over one eye and ear, also 'The Phantom of the Opera' came to Dublin the year we found her

Ellie - Cos hubby thought it'd be hilarious for us to be yelling for an Ellie-Phant

Oscar - After Oscar Wilde cos he's a bit of a flamer, lies down and crosses his front paws!

Wiley - after Wile E Coyote, as a pup she would throw back her head and howl like a coyote, she has mesmerising yellow eyes in a dark face. As she grew and matured the name became more and more appropriate cos she's dumb as a bucket of hair, just like wile e coyote!

Little Dude - he was my only failed foster pup out of about 30, I named all my foster pups little dudes so I didn't get attached, by the time they left they always responded. I'd call din-dins little dudes when I was bringing out food and they'd all come flying, little mob of pups! Anyway, I had Little Dude since he was 3 days old and by the time he was ready for adopting we were too attached, he responded to the name and it really suited him

The Púca - Cos she's deaf it sometimes feels like she's a ghost living in the house, she doesn't respond to life going on around her when she's sleeping, disappears and you can't find her cos she's tucked up in a hidey hole, and appears out of nowhere. It's all to do with her being deaf and tiny but it put us in mind of a good natured ghost, hence Púca. Having a title 'The Púca' is to do with where we live and the way people speak here, she aquired the title because of locals describing the way she runs 'The goes of the Púca' and it stuck!

We have 2 rabbits called Mr and Mrs Bunsy, previous rabbit called Dangerous Beans, and 2 sheep called Massey and Ferguson ...... cos they're there to cut the grass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

sheeba because she is lyk a queen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Miller, bcause I collected him from rescue in a miller box.
    Willow bcause when I picked her up from the rescue she was tiny and grey like the buds on a pussy willow tree, and it suits her, she's very "willowy"

Harley because of this picture

picture.php?albumid=1146&pictureid=5906

he got the hat as a gift when he arrived here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

My missus named our springer Harley. She's always wanted a Harley Davidson (she's not getting one, maybe a 3 wheeler) so now she has a Harley. The name really suits his personality. Lots of vroom vroom vroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My missus named our springer Harley. She's always wanted a Harley Davidson (she's not getting one, maybe a 3 wheeler) so now she has a Harley. The name really suits his personality. Lots of vroom vroom vroom.

GIVE MY DOG HIS NAME BACK! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Whispered wrote: »
    GIVE MY DOG HIS NAME BACK! :p

Puts me in mind of being at an agility show once and calling my dog..... and getting about 6 different Oscar's coming running!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Fishy,because he's a fish!

Our old cat was called Shadow because he was jet black and followed us everywhere(shops,bus stop,mates houses!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

My dogs called Tipsy cause she walks like she's drunk!! was funny when i was 11:o... I sware:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Buddy & Timmy the Fred - Twin black kittens i got when i was 5, i was allowed name at the time obviously! Timmy didn't make it unfortunately but i had Buddy for 12 years.

Packie - another kitten i got during the summer of '90, hence the name! (Packie Bonner) My folks and neighbours learned to live with me shouting 'packie' out the back door every time i had to feed him!

At the moment we have cats called Louis, Pól, Derina and Maisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I had a Harley too - but he was a cat.

Noir & Minuit - two cats - they were both jet black - so Black (Noir) as Midnight (Minuit)

I have a rescue kitten who had her own brood of 4 kittens at 7 months old :eek:

Nash - no reason - just an oddball :-)
    Dash - he had a slash of black fur across his otherwise snow white forehead
    Double Dot (DD) - he just had 2 big spots on his back.
    SOS - she had 3 big black spots on her back - looked like morse code - ie SOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The four stray cats that have taken up residence with me are called...
    The Slut she is the eldest and spends her time either on the sofa beside me or makes her way down to my room to bed. She just arrived at the house one stormy night and would go to anyone who came to visit
    Munchkin, she looks like a kitten of The Slut but ugly as sin. Was just a name that I seem to have stuck on her
    Cat Cat is the biggest tom cat belonging to Munchkin, was nervous as hell and would run when he seen me but now trips me up to get into the house. Ended up called that because when i was out the yard would call it by saying here cat.
    Kitten Was the runt of Munchkins litter and was so tame but seems to have reversed rolls with Cat and has gone very cautious. Named that as that as she was the first of the kittens that would come out of hiding to follow her mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Shannan - small black terrier - not sure why, it just suited her.

Sirius brother of Shannan - Called after the Dogstar

Nico - black cat, called after the cat in the programe that used to follow the mouse on ones computer around? (years ago)

Gobo - Ginger and white tabby cat - because he is a little red fraggle. Biggest personality you could imagine and definitely the boss of the house.

Tortie Princess - Tortoishell, very spooiled little angel - Well, she's a tortie and she's a princess :o She came to us with that name and we never managed to change it to anything else, nothing else would stick.

Sugar - long haired tabby and white ex feral - Came to us with that name, but suits her terribly well as she is sweet as Sugar.

Gerrowdat - calico - Was one of a pair of foster cats called gerrowdat and gerrofdat that came from a friend, gerrofdat never got healthy enough to leave initial fosterer, gerrowdat is very nice, but for some reason she needs to be told "gerrowdat" quite frequently!

Fleur - long haired calico ex feral foster cat that couldn't be moved due to being terrified of all humans other than us, literally, if we go away and leave a house sitter she won't eat if they are in the house, they have to go and stand in the front garden for her to eat! She was named by the person that took her from the vets after her spay and minded her until we picked her up, suited her due to her being pretty and fluffy.

Pepper (aka Little Carwash) - Tabby and white kitten of ex feral colony cat - Originally called Little Carwash due to having a similar look to my first beloved cat Carwash (called after the cat from Willo-the-Wisp cartoon). We decided that Little Carwash was a bit of a mouthful and Pepper quite suited him, plus we seem to be developing a tendency towards cats named after condiments.

Spice (aka Spicey) - long haired grey and white, brother of Pepper - Absolutely stunning boy. Called Spice as he went really well with Sugar with both of them being stunning.

Gobo

016-4.jpg?t=1295745951

Sugar and Spice

002-11.jpg?t=1295745951

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Rory just a name I always loved, rory gallagher is my fav singer/guitarist, short and recognisable for dog and the bf wanted to call him borat!:rolleyes:

Nelly
    the rescue had already named her nelly when I met her and I didn't want to change it and confuse the girl! I love "old" names like that anyway,
    usually just call her nell although she sometimes answers to Rory too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Bear
    He's a beautiful 1 year old black cat with spots of white. He's a real "man cat" and so sleek and athletic looking. When we got him, he used to stand up on his back legs, and he was a little adventurer- so Bear just suited him.

Squid
    She is a beautiful, high maintenance tortoiseshell kitty. She cries all the time and is SO excitable. We used to always call Bear by other cutesy little nicknames and my boyfriend called him "Squid" one day. Our Squid had been born so we were just waiting a few weeks to collect her. We originally thought she was a boy so Squid suited "him". We couldn't bring ourselves to name her something different as we had been visiting her from birth, calling her Squid.

We'll probably keep to the trend of calling our future animals other animal's names when we add to our family!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

magentas wrote: »
    Rory just a name I always loved, rory gallagher is my fav singer/guitarist, short and recognisable for dog and the bf wanted to call him borat!:rolleyes:

Nelly

My girlfriend has a cat called Rory after Mr. Gallagher too, he lives in her parents though.

We got ourselves a cat who we named GUINNESS, he is all balck except for a white tuft just under his head!

I like to call him guinness lynott as it has a ring to it, I also like to dress him up sharply as I can arranhe his white tuft to look like a dickie bow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I like to call him guinness lynott as it has a ring to it

I love when people give their cats surnames! A childhood friend of mine had a cat called Elliot Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

My cats name is Bob Buttons.

Am a big friends fan and in one episode, Mr. Heckles pretended that the cat Rachel had found was his and called him Bob Buttons. Just sounded cute :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Scooby Boxer/Rottweiller cross that the nieces and nephew thought looked like Scooby Doo so that name stuck.

Mathyus Scorpion named after the character in The Scorpion King film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Roux
    (Golden Cocker Spaniel)

Pronounce Roo.

Reasons:

- because I'm French and it means "red hair"
    - it's also the coulour of the kangouroo in "Winnie the pooh"
    - and finally because I like the singer "La Roux"

Maxc
    (Black Cocker Spaniel)
    I usually call her Mini Maxi because I got her one month after Roux but she was tiny, they are now the same size but I still call her Mini Maxi (I didnt choose the name maxi it was already given to her when I picked her up)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bolger.
    OH wanted to call our deaf White cat 'Whitey'. I was like how original ! So named him after Whitey Bolger the Irish Mafia boss from Boston. Bolger suits him because he's very hard to find and listens to no one.
    His Chinese name is Yung Wan. As OH always asks "where's the Yung Wan" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My cats (all sadly passed on...)

Snoopy - Nosy git who loved to get in the shower with you. Drank water from the taps and pinched the dog's food.

Cleo - Just liked the name!:D

Benson - Had the cat two weeks and couldn't think of a name for him. Saw a packet of B & H on the floor, and the rest is history. He was also named after Benson the butler in 'Soap'. (If you can remember that far back!)

Paddy the dog - DH named him after his father!:eek: I wanted to call him Henry or Trevor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Jess the cat

Now sing with me :)
    Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat
    It's very unoriginal, lots do the same

The Golden Retriever is Duke.
    He was bought from a breeder, damn dog has a more detailed family tree then most families in Ireland :rolleyes:
    He's never been to a show or anything but the breeder gave him an offical name Duke of Glenbrook. So called Duke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

We name most of ours after game characters :)

Ripley: our GSD, the alpha, her name ended up suiting her so much better than we could have known. Shes a strong girl, and a survivor, and the boss :) Named after Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) from the Alien movies.

Malak: We used to have a dog called Revan, who passed away. Revan and Malak are two characters from the game Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic. He reminds me of Revan, so the name made sense.

Neeshka: she's a sneaky funny girl, named after a sneaky rogue from Neverwinter Nights 2.

Riddick: it took us forever to realise what his name should be. He's named after Riddick from Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick, he has intense blue eyes :)

Deekin: he's a dopey funny dog who likes to sing. Named after the funny bard kobold Deekin Scalesinger from Neverwinter Nights. Really suits him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Bertie cause hes a Basset Hound! But also known as Mr B, Bold Boy Basset, The Bass, Houndini (amazing ability to escape!)
    Had Timmy the dog!(to the tune of the famous five)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Newt (aka Newt Suit) is named after the character in Aliens. She's a frail little rat, literally half the size of her sister... It made sense at the time and suits her so well!

I wish we'd called her sister Ripley, but didn't even think of it at the time! Ended up settling on "Rukia" (character from an anime series)

/edit
    Just read 2 posts up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Dog: Cleo (after Cleopatra because she's got a really beautiful face)

Cat: Dodgem (because his tail is always straight up in the air, like the aerial of a dodgem car).

Pets that have sadly passed:
    Tosca (cat) - after the opera since she yowled cried all day long (was a rescue) and never got out of the habit

Roly (dog): he had a big fat roly-poly belly as a puppy

Curio (cat): on a daily basis he tested the saying about curiosity killing the cat

Nimrod (russian dwarf hamster): we had always wanted to call a pet by a stupid name but could never bring ourselves to do it for a dog or cat that you would have to call for in public

Dizzy (another dwarf hamster): she used to grab hold of her wheel and spin around like a lunatic until she fell off and then would just wobble in spot for a while. Very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

LEE CHATEAU: She is our original cat who came to us one stormy night, Lee is made from mine, my bf and our sons initials and Chateau because the night she came we found a little key in the middle of our kitchen floor with chateau written on it and the next morning i found one on the roof of my car.

MILDEW: Mildew is her baby from her fist litter, she is a tortoiseshell and when she was born was so tiny she looked like a little patch of mildew.

Advertisement