Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The name of your pet and why.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Charlie for a fat "Jack Russell" with Queen Ann legs, because he is a right Charlie.

Always wanted to call one of our cats "furkin" but my wifes always stopped me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Socks - A Staffordshire Bull Terrier. He got named that because he is Red with four White Socks :)
    Pebbles - A Staffordshire Bull Terrier. She got named that well because he was the only thing i could think if coming home after getting her i was so excited :D
    Bear - A Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Daughter of Socks & Pebbles. When she was born she looked like a little cuddly bear and she still does ;)
    Boots - A Pitbull Terrier. He already was named when we got him. But i could clearly see why, he has huge paws :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

pandora;- parson russel terrier, named after anne rices book pandora, also named after a punk cartoon character in kerrang magazine.

Riggs, fell terrier; named after cop played by mel gibson in "lethal weapon"

Jess, fell terrier; she came with the name!!!

Cookie, choc labrador puppy.... cos when we brought her she reminded me of a choc chip cookie.

Sky, black and white border collie with half blue eye, pretty much self explanative.

had various unusual animal names in the past; gretal, magua (last of the mohicans), martok (clingon general, star trek), ceska (treacherous cardassian spy, star trek), magick, smeagol, harley, strider, gremlin, boots, gogo, jet, boomer. and thats just the ones i remember off the top of my head! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 e.d

has any one got a name suggestion for a blue female staffordshire bull terrier,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

pandora;- parson russel terrier, named after anne rices book pandora, also named after a punk cartoon character in kerrang magazine.

Riggs, fell terrier; named after cop played by mel gibson in "lethal weapon"

Jess, fell terrier; she came with the name!!!

Cookie, choc labrador puppy.... cos when we brought her she reminded me of a choc chip cookie.

Sky, black and white border collie with half blue eye, pretty much self explanative.

had various unusual animal names in the past; gretal, magua (last of the mohicans), martok (clingon general, star trek), ceska (treacherous cardassian spy, star trek), magick, smeagol, harley, strider, gremlin, boots, gogo, jet, boomer. and thats just the ones i remember off the top of my head! lol
    what about lucy?:)

beautiful names, leather weapon was just on TV tonight and I laughed so much when I saw Riggs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 e.d

e.d wrote: »
    thinking, pixie,, cleo. lulu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

magentas wrote: »
    what about lucy?:)

beautiful names, leather weapon was just on TV tonight and I laughed so much when I saw Riggs!

she was named after a mongrel terrier i had as a kid, ive always lived in a large multi animal household... heres the full list from since i was about 5 up to recent times

ria border collie RIP
    jamie dutch rabbit RIP
    ben border collie RIP
    lucy mongrel RIP
    gypsy lurcher 16yrs
    emily lurcher 16yrs
    heidi miniature snauzer RIP
    sophie yorkshire terrier RIP
    amy miniature longhaired dachshund RIP
    penny miniature longhaired dachshund RIP
    balla miniature longhaired dachshund 15yrs (daughter of penny)
    bonnie miniature longhaired dachshund 12yrs (daughter of penny)
    willow miniature longhaired dachshund 11yrs
    hannah miniature longhaired dachshund 8yrs
    cody minature longhaired dachshund ex-stud dog 9yrs
    heidi miniature longhaired dachshund (sister to hannah) 8yrs
    magick miniature longhaired dachshund daughter of willow and cody
    fudge miniature longhaired dachshund grand-daughter of bonnie
    holly miniature longhaired dachshund daughter of bonnie;- rehomed due to fighting with willow
    suki collie mix (rescue dog)
    patch german shorthaired pointer x collie (rescue dog)
    dexter (merle collie, bought as a pup to make a stud dog but didnt make the grade with me)
    alfie jrt x hound x spanial
    harley boxer x labrador (had to be rehomed due to problems with neighbour)
    sheba german shephard (as with harley :mad:)
    gremlin (rat, RIP)
    boots ex racing greyhound.... cat killer so didnt keep her for long
    bonnie border collie... sold as a worker
    ratty (hooded rat RIP)
    hammy (hamster RIP)
    napoleon (1 eyed guinea pig RIP)
    jet parakeet RIP
    bundy parakeet RIP
    holly my favourite collie of all time RIP
    judy collie, rehomed as failed as a worker
    flint collie, sold as a worker
    ceska, lurcher, worker but also killed hubbys cat so had to be rehomed
    lady greyhound, didnt make the grade so was rehomed
    jess fell terrier
    lucy lakeland x fell terrier STOLEN
    riggs fell terrier
    sky collie (daughter of holly and flint)
    casey black cat RIP
    elphie brown feral cat RIP
    twyla feral cat RIP
    stinky ferret RIP
    magua shamo cock
    martok ferret
    pandora parson russel terrier 9yrs
    gretal blind pony mare, (had to send her to rescue when i could no longer afford grazing)
    strider (gretals foal, handreared by me after she rejected him, sold to be brought on a a riding pony)
    freya black show pony mare sold
    prince appaloosa pony stallion sold

this is a list of the majority of them, most belonging to my parents, not including my mums many cats, donkeys and goats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

^^^ wow !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I always name the animals after actors or fave tv characters/comedians.

So last dog (now sadly RIP) was called George Bailey cos my fave film is It's A Wonderful Life

Dog we have now is called Archie after my fave actor Cary Grant (real name Archibald Leach)

Cat is called Babs, had her sister called Sid, after Sid James & Babs Windsor (love Carry On films), but also Miss Babs from Acorn Antiques.

The last stray we picked up I called Eric (after Eric Morcambe, my dads fave comedian)

The next dog we get will prob be female so will call her Hattie (after Hattie Jacques)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Current fur-family:

Frankencence, large tabby born on 25th December.

Eric, tabby and white cat originally called Martin, which was the worst name we could think of for him, so we called him the second-worst name we could think of for him instead, and he grew into it and is absolutely an Eric.

Hahn, brown spotted tabby named after a beer.

Turbo Diesel, female brown spotted tabby thus named because she goes from kitten to bitch in 8 seconds.

Sasquatch, blue burmese cross named for his huge feet when he was little.

Cleo, short for Cleopatra, she's a siamese X.

Gus, my bull arab x hound, and Gus in his case is short for Fungus, because he had chronic ringworm when I got him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My pets now live in my mums because I moved into an apartment!

Dogs;
    Kerri - Because we used to go there on holidays, my mother now lives there so it is very fitting!

Tiny - because he is such a big Yorkie!

Benson - my mother named him after her favourite cigarettes! :rolleyes:

Cats;
    Sambuca "Sam" - Because she has a beautiful liquorice colour to her coat!

Rogue - Because she's always doing something mischievous!!!

Smokey - She is white with these unique smokey colours in her coat! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

Our Staffie is called Carter after lil Wayne, we also have a Pug called Oisin dont know why but it does suit him lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Sindy, cause she's a pretty, little, blonde bitch :-)
    Fargo cause he came with the name and answers to it so I don't think it would be fair to confuse him :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Ghost: Our White GSD-After the direwolf in the 'A Song Of Ice And Fire' books. The tv series of Part 1 'A Game Of Thrones' is due out on HBO in April:D

Hopkins: Our 3 legged kitty- Came with the name from Limerick Animal Welfare and it suits him so much(not owing to the obvious;))

Mommy feral: Self explanatory

Baby feral: Again self explanatory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

Saphire,Velvet or Midnight....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

What about Blue? I knew a staff named blue but she was so black she nearly has a tinge of blue off her coat!

Deelo - Whe n i got him he was called Diablo and used to his name but I didnt like the idea of a devil dog so changed it to something similar for him to recgonise but nothing to do with devils etc. . the world doesnt need another Doberman called Diablo!

Oki Sky - Cause Sky was her foster name and Oki comes from the place where I grew up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

A cat called J. R. Hartley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

A cat called J. R. Hartley

Possibly the best name for a cat. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Two cats with names that don't suit their personalities, though one was (almost) deliberate.

A lazy lump of a tabby called Pepper. Named for her colour, not her temperament. Though if she wants someone to get up and feed her she will look round for the most irritating thing to do, like sit in front of the bookcase carefully pulling books off with a claw, one at a time.

Snowball - an all black, small, nervous cat, great hunter but acts as though the world is out to get her. Except that she will come and sit on my lap and purr and mash and fidgit, she just can't sit still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Darcey, because for some reason my wife thought it was nice to name a dog after a famous ballerina (who I'd never heard of).

The irony is that a 3-legged staffie is about as graceful as a newborn calf on stilts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Two cats

Makka Pakka a ginger cat, called after the fat orange thing in In The Night Garden of the same name

and

Kelly- cos it rhymes with belly cos we thought she was pregrant when she arrived at the door. Now known as Kelly the Elephant

When i was a child we got a kitten from the factory my dad worked in, mam wanted to call the cat after the factory but we all went against it. We shoulf have though cos the cat was like the exorcist cat and True Temper would have suited massively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Barney- Choco lab. Named by younger brother, and seconded by my mother. She thought it suited his floppyness (?)

Tufty- Orange and white cat. Named due to his mass of fur.

Cloud- Grey and white cat. < self explainatory

The Brady Bunch- A group of neon fish

The Clever Crew- another group of fish

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

BEN
    Because he looked like a little polar bear cub as a pup

CLEO
    Because it is part of her kennel name

BROOK
    She's v.tomboyish for a girl but at the same time so pretty:) so I thought Brook was a happy medium.

CAT
    Because she's a cat :D

NIBBER (Tortoise)
    Because he bit me the first day we brought him home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

RALPH after Ralph wiggim in the simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

Peanut (maltese): because when we washed her for the first time, as a puppy, her once fluffy white coat disappeared and what was left was a dog that looked no more than the size of a peanut. So the name stuck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Rodney - a tri-colour border collie. Named that in the pound and it suited him so well I never changed it. And yes, he is a plonker....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

envelope - our black cat, we got the name from one of my daughters books, it's ridiculous and we love it :D

puddin' - our terrier mix pup, because, well, he's our likkle puddin'! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dmg11234

Our 2 lab cross rescue dogs are called Dave and Lilly (those were their names when we rescued them)

Our 2 rabbits are called Sancho and Torres, just because my husband liked the names :) (we later found out they were girls, after being told they were boys!)

Our cat is called Frank :) Again we didnt name him, the people who owned our house before us owned him and left him behind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Jellybean because her head was shaped like a jellybean when we she was a pup:) (not a freak shes a bull terrier:P)
    Zeus because he was twice the size of the other pups in his litter and he most definitly was their god:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Cat; Holly. Black and white with chunks taken from her ears through getting into tiffs with all the local cats. Rescued as a kitten just before Halloween many moons ago.

Dwarf rabbit; Gir. Named after a cartoon character from Invader Zim. The most ANTISOCIAL rabbit Iv ever come across. Pounces, bites and growls when you go near her. Such a pretty little thing nonetheless! :)

The two newest recruits;
    Chinchilla's;
    Gizmo. Aka The Gremlins (Chinnie's cant get wet-dust baths to clean their dense fur) Poor Gizzy had been abandoned by her mother as the runt of the litter, had a cleft lip and had to be hand reared!
    Dib, another Invader Zim character, also know as Dibby or Dibdab!
    The two were living together in the pet shop, after buying Gizmo I decided that she'd be much happier with her big sister and went back two months later when I had the money and reunited the two! :)

Advertisement