Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The name of your pet and why.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

My first dog was called George. Named after a dog in my neigbourhood who I supposably adored between the age of 2-4 until he was killed. So I named my first dog in respect to him.

Second dog was called Tyson (How original for a boxer pup lol).

Next boxer I called Ozzy after Ozzy Osbourne one of my favourite singer/artist. Plus it wasnt a popular name and I thought it suited him pretty well. Crazy pup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Oscar. When he arrieved first he was very scared of people (mainly men) so when my father came over he dubed him 'the wild one' as apposed to my other cat at the time which got dubbed 'the three legged one'. I had a big book of Oscar Wildes complete works on the table so I called him Oscar. Whenever my father called him the wild one I would say 'yes Oscar Wild' The name suits him too.

Then there's Oscars cat, can't call her mine, I got her to keep Oscar company when the other cat died. He got really lonely. I've had her since last summer and she still doesn't have a name, none have stuck with her but since she has feline herpes she was nearly always snotty, so she ended up getting called snotface:o. Mainly due to her sitting on my lap and sneezing in my face with me worried about snot flying everywhere, I would just shout something and nearly always call her snotface in the process.

Little gizmo a 6 month old kitten got called after my brothers cat by his girlfriend. Basicly he looks alot like my brothers cat but little. Before that he was called number 4 because he was the 4th kitten out and nearly died (twice) I didn't want to give him a proper name incase he died. He also sometimes gets called 'little retard' or 'my little retard':o he suffered with lack of oxygen at birth I'm convinced his braindamaged from it.

Mammy cat (which I'm not keeping) gets called either mammy cat or Loney which my granny named because she was all alone in life(probably after being dumped when the owners figured out she was having kittens)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Casper - the friendly Bichon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Momo - Cos he was hit by a car and lost his tail before we got him

Pepper - Cos he is a little bit spicy (he is a tabby kitten :rolleyes:)

Buddy and buster - Cos they use to hang around the apartment we lived in and would come inside the whole time so we just use to call them buddy and buster. Little did we know they would adopt us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I knew a cat called mogeely and a dog called roman

weve had

As a kid:
    Simba RIp cocker
    Sheba RIP collie/German shepherd
    Samson RIP German shepherd
    Lady RIP jack russell
    Sauba mongrel
    Garfield (garfy) RIP cat
    hammy the hamster RIP
    michael jean claude van damme schumacher the gold fish RIP

As an adult
    Cleo cocker
    kitty or kittykins ( the cat)
    bella then found out it was a boy cat then it ran away
    Spud cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Lola A rescue tabby from the DSPCA. When I brought her home from the shelter in a crate she was making some very unladylike noises, so she's called after the Kinks song.

Friend RIP My first ever cat. Purchased for my third birthday, my parents tasked me with naming her. Apparently Friend was a more suitable name than 'Mammy' 'Daddy' or 'Ball', which, as the story goes, were my other suggestions. Cute in a sense, until you're 14 bringing human friends home and cringing with embarrassment as your parents walk around the house saying "Kablamo! Have your friends met FRIEND?! Haw haw haw".

Pebbles MIA Perhaps our most controversially named pet, in that my father named her after his ex girlfriends cat. I let that fact slip to my mother and it was a common occurrence to see her giving the cat, and my father the evil eye.

Lucky RIP And the winner for the most ironic name must go to Lucky, a rabbit, which died at the jaws of a fox when I was 10. My parents successfully covered up this fact, and told me I must have left the side gate open so the rabbit had escaped. I was duly grounded and spent days in my room crying. I was in the pub with my neighbours two months ago, and one of them let slip about the dire end which he met. When I came home and questioned my mother about it, and in particular the punishment for my imaginary crime, she said "Sure, didn't we have to make the story look convincing?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Three cats:

1. Rocky - perfectfor him because he's a big bruiser of a cat (even though he fitted into the palm of my hand when we got him). I suppose he was named after the rugby player Rocky Elsom. His name is quite funny because he's always very cuddly with us and cries for attention. However, the other two cats probably hate him because he certainly lives up to his name with them.

2. Annabel - his sister. My wife reckoned we needed a nice "girlie" name for hr to offset her brother's name.

3. Susie - the stray who adopted us last September. We initially thought "she" was a "he" so we called it Shmuel. However, we then changd this to Susie because she was getting used to the "s" sound in the name and we didn't want to confuse her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Alfie- I named him after the character in the movie Alfie because he was a little rascal just like the character always getting up to no good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Jake: 12 year old Golden Cocker Spaniel. We adopted him when he was 11 months old, he had been neglected as a puppy. When we decided we were going to be adopting him and didnt yet know his name, we had chosen Jacob, and as fate would have it, his original name wasnt too far off!

Benson: 2 year old Rottweiler. My late uncle had a black Lab years ago by the name of Benson and he was such a beautiful dog, so we named our Benson after him.

Our departed pets:
    Ben & Thatcher: Labradors. I've no idea why Ben was chosen, but Thatcher was after me because my sister for some reason always called me Maggie as a child, and still does on occasion!

Oscar & Raptor: Terrapins. Oscar coz it was a cute name, and Raptor was called after some basketball team my sister liked.

Fernando: my last goldfish, after the Abba song! There were also goldfish Sharkey & George.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Dogs first:

Lucy - short for lucifer, an absolute demon when we found her! Wouldn't let us pick her up or touch her stomach for weeks. she's calmed down now but still very moody and cranky in the mornings!

Lucky - adopted him from the DSPCA and he'd had a pretty rough time before we got him - dumped in a car park when he was a tiny pup, but survived, found his way to a house which happened to be a DSPCA volunteer! Just suited him.

We only realised afterwards that they're basically the same name with one extra letter :pac:

With our other pets (Snowy and Joey the birds, Pinky and Perky the fish, Dougie the hamster in particular) they just sort of looked like their names! He looked so much like a Dougie it was bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

All yorkshire terriers.

Buster...he was a maniac puppy, the most psycho and energetic one ive ever seen, he's 4 now and an angel, well trained but treated like a prince!

Shadow...he used to follow everyone around when he was a tiny puppy. he is now 3 and constantly wants attention and loves his belly rubbed.

Jinx...Jinx was a bit clumsy as a puppy (shadows brother) but was and still is the sweetest, always wants to be on your lap and cuddled.

Bubbles...she was sooo small as a pup, the size of an egg (miniture yorkie) so she was as light as a bubble. RIP Bubbles.

Dunston...(Bubbles dad) after Dunston checks in, the movie. It was out that year when we got Dunny (short version of Dunston).RIP Dunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Leela: My King Charles/JRT cross. I love Futurama and wanted a feminine name for my baby but one that had a fierce personality. Worked perfectly for me. :)

Charlie: My GSD. He was a rescue and since he had been through so much I didn't want to stress him out with another new name; The shelter called him Charlie. I was delighted though - my boyfriend wanted to call him Zoidberg. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Oh and I had an albino corn snake I called Fluffy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I named my little tomcat DC...short for Ducky Cat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lainy2

As a child we had Jet-a springer spaniel

My parents now have a red setter called Ruby, HE was a rescue dog and his name was Rudy when we got him but we didnt like it so changed it only slighty so as not to confuse him!

I have a Yorkshire Terrier called Suzie, cant explain why we called her that. My boyfriend wanted a name he wouldnt b 2 embarrassed callin her by in a public place! We just started naming out random names and we settled on Suzie!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

mum named Juno our female jack russell (her father was probably a toilet brush!)
    i named Daisy - a jack russell / pommeranian cross - as a daisy is sorta my logo

i named my female cat Picasso - as i was doing art at college at the time and shes white and mottled colours - cant recall what you call that at the mo!

and jessie is our female cat who is about 14. i was a kid and had just finished watching free willy when i got her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Oso - Our friends 5-year-old suggested this name before we got them. Apparently, it's spanish for panda bear (Bloody Dora!), anyway does actually suit him.

Sox - We only had planned to get one dog, so only had one name picked. As an 8-week-old pup he had four little white paws, but now they're barely white tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dmg11234

NoDice wrote: »
    Oh and I had an albino corn snake I called Fluffy. :)

Strange I know someone who has an albino cornsnake called Fluffy.... your name's not Laura is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Just got a pup a few weeks ago :D Gorgeous little girl - she's from a rescue so have no idea what breed(s) she is - has rottweiller colouring - but curly spaniel ears! So she's gonna be a suprise when she grows up to see exactly what she turns out like! :D

But anyways -it took me 2 full weeks to come up with a name for her - which on the drive home from the Foster Family's house to pick her up I finally had a brain wave and she finally had a name!!

Her name is Kali - which is the Hindu goddess of eternal energy (which is perfect for her as she's just a bundle of energy!) and it also has a connection with black/darkness and as she's mostly black it also works on that level! She loves her name and so does anyone who meets her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Bogey - Humphrey Bogart
    Bordeaux - KC Name which I liked and kept
    Bella - same as Bordeaux
    Phoebe - arrived with that name, I just shorten it to Phoebs
    Rosebud - same as Phoebe but she resists every effort to shorten it to Rosie
    Troy - he just looked like a Troy when he arrived from the Pound
    Toughy - because he is from a tough backround ;)
    Brego - because he runs like a horse and I love LotR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I got my dog's name from Frasier's dog!! :o

I think it does suit him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Current dog Irish setter is Coco, but full name Coco Peggy which she gets called if she's bold.
    For the first 2 days we called her Copper but my sister thought Coco suited her better as she was the same colour as a bottle of Chanel No5. Also my sister in law had a cocker spaniel called Cooper at the time which was a bit confusing.

Boris - Golden Retriever, looked like Boris Becker when he was a pup.

Lady, wire haired fox terrier. She also answered to Granny as she got older.

Mutt or sometimes "The Mutt" - black lab/mix - beautiful dog my dad found abandoned on the beach as a tiny pup. Jet Black with a tuft of white chest hair.

Poochie2. Terrier mix who we took in when her owner/neighbour went into a home. Kept taking my sisters shoes into her bed.

Poochie1. Old English Sheepdog - my mothers pride and joy, she always wanted one so my dad bought her one. She died when I was 4 and was buried under the apple tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Cats:
    Jake-my daughter named him after the tweenies character (he was orange too)
    Toby- name he had when we adopted him, it suited him somehow and we couldn't think of calling him anything else.

Dogs:

Oliver-we were watching topgear:p he barked at the car everytime it beeped.
    Tiffi (Tiffany)- daughter named her after her favourite character from the Terry Pratchett books, the breeder loved it and put it in as part of her name on her papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Dog: Tintin. My favourite comic book character.

Cat: Smoky. Grey old man hair coming out of his ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

3 cats
    1 Pancake - daughter's boyfriend gave her to us and they always used go out and eat pancakes

2 Monday - recently passed on. Neighbour turned up one Monday morning with a stray kitten that had been hanging around her garden and asked us to take him in. He had a Monday morning temper too...

3 Mogson - long gone now unfortunately and the most intelligent cat I ever had. I picked him up at a house and saw his mother but not, unsurprisingly, the father, so he was the son of an unknown mog

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Our JRT is called Arthur because when we found him he was very small & sick and my OH said "That's not a dog, it's only half a dog!". Couldn't go with any other name after that.

Lab is called Bob - named by daughter (after Spongebob!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

One cat is called Jimmy.... He strayed into us, and we didn't really plan on keeping him so didn't give him a name.

One day I noticed he had massive kahunas so I started calling him Jimmy Two Balls instead of just referring to him as The Cat..... Then we had him neutered, so now he's just called Jimmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Where to start . . .

Dogs:

Donna - we got her in a place called Doneraile in Co. Cork
    Bella - my little brother named her after Bilbo Baggins's mother, Miss

Belladonna Took is on her papers.

Cosworth - normally called Cossie, my other little brother named her after the Ford Cosworth :rolleyes: she's a really pretty Cavalier, and Cosworth does not suit her! :)

Sophie - I thought it was cute and I was going with kinda frenchy sounding names for pets.

Cats:

Sugar - we had Sugar, Spice and Nice, now just have Sugar. One day my dad went outside and said "hello Sugar" and the neighbour said hi back! :D

Hobo - we found him in a carpark and he was really scruffy and looked like a hobo.

Reg - my dad named him . . .

Madeline - after the french cartoon, I used to watch it when I was a kid.

Ottilie - after the character in House of Flowers by Truman Capote.

Ollie - just a cute name.

Rabbits:

Evie - Kinda after the Pokémon Eevee, haha.

Leon - He's a lionhead rabbit, also after the character from Tucker :D

Lila - she's black and Lila means dark, or something.

Lily - she's white

Ellie - thought it was cute

Guinea pigs:

Sukie - after the song 'Sukie in the Graveyard' by Belle & Sebastien

Lola - after the song Lola by the Kinks

Cenci - after Mia Farrow's character in Secret Ceremony (pronounced cheen-chi)

Libby - after the bitchy girl from Sabrina!

Edie - after Edie Sedgwick

Lou - after Lou Reed

Nico - after Nico from the Velvet Underground

And that's all . . . finally. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

There is 'DC', a 10 month old tomcat. It's short for 'Ducky Cat'...well...he is a cat and 'ducky' is supposed to be something/someone who is cute, so I heard ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

"Lucky". 17 years ago i went out to my car (Wexford) and heard a cat meowing, i looked under car to check but saw nothing, i drove home to Waterford, and getting out of car i again heard a cat meowing, my sister said to check the engine, i opened the bonnet and there was a kitten cuddled up. So I called her Lucky (lucky she was not killed).

Advertisement