Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The name of your pet and why.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

"Xena" because she came that way. An abused rescue spaniel - the only word she knew was her name. So I left it. She's battled back from three near death events, so her Warrior Princess name fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

Bram (big ginger tomcat) after Bram Stoker.

Ninja (black and white tomcat) because he was run over by a tractor when he was a tiny kitten. Said tractor mashed his front left leg, owner took him to the vet to have him put down. Vet said no, put the kitten back together again, and we got him when he needed a new home.

Sammo (boxer dog) after Sammo Hung, Bruce Lee's fight choreographer/co-ordinator in movies. Geddit? Boxer? Fighter?

Mr. Spock (black tomcat) because he has big ears :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Trigger :- Springer spaniel

Bullet :- english setter

Both hunting dogs hence names! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

snickers...chocolate with nuts
    roxy...she jus looks like a roxy!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 silverhare

Fishy,because he's a fish!

Our old cat was called Shadow because he was jet black and followed us everywhere(shops,bus stop,mates houses!)

That sounds remarkably like my cat Shadow, often affectionately referred to as assface faceass. Like many mogs, she likes to stick her rear in your face when she jumps onto your lap.

She originally came as half of a pair that had been rescued by a greyhound sanctuary. Moon her sister, decided to move in with the neighbours after four years... Looking at Shadow, it's hard to believe that she's 11. She still looks like a little kitten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Cody. We had a list of names with that on it and when we saw him, he was a Cody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dogs: Rani and Tegan - Doctor Who characters
    Fish: Mr Flay - Named after a character in the Gormenghast books
    Paul - So called because there were originally 4 of them so they were known as 'The Beatles. Now there's just Paul McCartney left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

My new Bengal is called Romeo..
    Now we can stand at the door going, 'Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo'..
    :D
    True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Our first two piggies are Xander and Hilda. At first we thought Xander was a girl and we named him Zelda, after the game character. And then we thought it would be cute to call "her" friend Hilda, after the two aunties in Sabrina the Teenage Witch. But when we figured out that Zelda was a boy, we wanted to change the name for something that didn't sound too different.

We've also got pigs called Gibbs and Ducky, after the NCIS characters. We've also had hamsters called Ziva, Abby, Dinozzo, Caitlin and McGee, also from NCIS, but McGee is the only one still alive (they got old).

We have a guinea pig called Elena, after a character in Kelley Armstrong novels.

We have another one called Acheron, after a character in Sherrilyn Kenyon novels, and his sister is called Styx, as both of those are rivers of the Underworld in Greek mythology.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Kya - Female Newfie - No idea where the name came from, GF just made it up.

McClane - Male Collie X - After John McClane. Bad ass puppy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Spitfire_24

Bran

She's a collie my boyfriend's parents found abandoned as a 2month old pup...they thought she was a boy so called her Bran after one of Fionn Mac Cumhaill's hunting dogs. when we arrived to collect "him" a few days later, to bring him to his new home, puppy went for nap on my lap, rolled over to stretch and lo and behold I discovered she was a girl...by that stage Bran had stuck and she wouldn't answer to anything else! its a pity people keep thinking we called her after bran flakes though... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Princessdizzy

My cat is called Poppy. When I was looking for a cat I was told over the phone of one available called 'Poppet' but I misheard it as Poppy. 'Poppet' went to someone else but when I finally got a cat I still liked the name Poppy. It often gets changed to Poppadoms - for no reason other than baby-pet talk 'how's my squidgy little Poppadoms today' - just to get that scowling sucking-on-a-satsuma look that only cats can do!

Oh and we had several fish outside in a pond called Del-boy, Rodney, Trigger etc but they all died except one who is now known as Billy-no-mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Loopsie

Kai - my beautiful BIG pure black tomcat :)
    He has a presence to him and teh most piercing green eyes, i heard the name a few years back and always loved it and when he came along it seemed perfect and it suits him to the ground!
    Ps he is six years old so i was wayyyyyyy ahead of coleen and wayne rooney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Oscar - Oscar the grouch (green thing that lives in a bin) from Sesame street. Cause when we first got the dog, he smelt like a bin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Previous Pets:

Dogs(mostly in early years)
    Rustie-was a rusty colour! Irish Terrier. My best friend. Had to be given away due to dispute with neighbours. Mum told me she had run away so I spent years thinking I was bad owner and that I didn't show her enough love. When I found out the truth few years ago I let rip at me Mother!! Seems she went to a good home but still aint forgiven Mum!
    Ginger-ye can guess what colour he was :p Was Rusties son. Irish Terrier
    Ben-Think Mum named him. Collie. Had to be given away due to neighbours again and he got stolen from his new home so no idea whatever happen to him.
    There were few other ones like Jack Russells or Collies put I was very very little when they were around.

Cats(in the last 6 years)
    Lucky-First stray cat at work I took home disappeared few days later which promoted me to rescue some more
    Sniffles-Was determined to have a cat named Sniffles!
    Skippy-Grey and white and bounced/hopped everywhere
    Sooty-ex named him he was all black
    Freckles-Odd looking stray cat I took home from work that had full rule of the house and land!

Lucky(the 2nd)-Mum wanted a cat named after the first one we took in.
    Garfield-Had the EXACT same colouring and like design on his fur as Lucky only all his colours of ginger,black and white were a lighter shade. You would have swore they were twins or at least from same litter!Born around same time but different Mothers.

Patch-Silly name to some :rolleyes::p Had patches of black over his mostly white body. Was always a sickly little dude hand fed him from the start. He only survived until he was about a year or so.

Tabby-Last stray cat I took home from work.Mum was starting to refuse me bringing home anymore cats and I said look he's only got 3 working legs! It's safer for him here in the countryside than in town. I SWEAR I won't keep him.... I lied:D

Podge-Had noticed him lying in the grass by the road few days before he appeared at my doorstep. He never left since then!Doesn't take no for an answer and is a right wee feicer at times :)

Tabby and Podge the only ones left now.

Here's a photo of Patch,Garfield and Lucky when they were kittens. The black one we gave away to a lovely home. The one with white and black but white forehead died a few days after this. Was up night and day feeding but was no good, not strong enough.

Still like looking at the photo as can't believe they were ever that tiny! Looking after kittens is definitely one of the greatest things EVER on this planet :) They are sooooo soft and adorable!

aebb77.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

My dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback called "Makena" which means happy one in African.

My cat is Sasha short for Alexander, Alexander the Great being my favourite historical figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We have our dog Scrappy, a little jack russel X named after my granny's dog scooby and also for the fact when we brought her for walks she would bring home every scrap of rubbish she could find... Had a cat called Frodo (called Tom by my dad) as I was going through I lord of the rings obsession, another cat called bounce (frodo's sister from a different litter) named so because of that sideways bounce cats do when attacking...current 2 cats are called Peaches (aka Ma'am to my dad) and Cream (aka brat to both my parents)... I also have a hamster called carmello because he is a caramel colour (aka mello after the death note character), 2 fish called jelly and tot (aka jaws and moby dick to my dad) and finally 2 rabbits, one called peter rabbit, and the other who was formerly daisy but got changed to dinny when we discovered she was a he!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Muffin: Because who doesn't love muffins?:pac:

Millie: Now deceased:( That was her name already (although spelled Milly). It's bad luck to change a horse's name they say. Unfortunately she wasn't the luckiest of horses in the end.

Heather: Just got her yesterday:)Once again, bad luck to change a horse's name! (and I'm not even very superstitious)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Pace -

He's a rescue greyhound and his racing name/slave name is Pace setter. We got him aged nearly 5 so he was already used to it. I figured he had enough to deal with without being renamed megatron :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Smirnoff - My Mam is a bar person so we decided to go with the alcohol reference.

Breezer (RIP) - keeping with the alcohol reference, she was originally Bacardi Breezer but got shortened down to Breezer.

Both are cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

boe (pronounced bow) he has one of those silly kennel names...beneficent something or other which the people we rescued him from shortened, we was 6 when I got him so thought probably a bit late to change it.
    Jazz was named by my daughter, just cuz she liked the name :)
    Kerrie was named after my dads best friend who rescued her from a puppy farm, she was a breeding bitch.
    Minnie got her name as she was tiny when my dad got her, she used to sleep in his slipper :D she's now the biggest of the terriers lol
    And finally Chico the parrot, named after that silly Chico time song by an ex of my Dad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Minnie got her name as she was tiny when my dad got her, she used to sleep in his slipper :D

That would be the CUTEST thing to see :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

3 cats:

Tux
    The most perfectly formed tuxedo cat, with white cuffs, collar and cummerbund!

Neko Japanese for cat.... the missus speaks a little and thought the word sounded cool, which it does!

Eva Longpurria
    Again named by my wife in homage to the desperate housewives actress.

1 x Rabbit

Remmi
    So named after french rugby player, Remmi Martin. Plus "Remmi Rabbit" sounds pretty cool also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 anneo

Freddie - came up with it cause he was a real header - "Freddy Krueger"
    Hes a a beautiful Jack Russell - Complete head case but love him ta bits and wouldn't like him any other way. :p

Advertisement