Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats so appealing about Medicine ???

• 23-01-2011 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

Can someone give me valid reasons why there is such high demand for this career in the country??? Apart from the financial aspect ( which I personally dont even think is that rewarding for its work load and educational requirements) Theres loads of other careers which out pass doctors in earnings

I mean you spend half your life studying for the blooming thing and I dont see the role of a doctor as such an attractive profession. You deal with sick,vile, gruesome and diseased people every day for the majority of the day and for the rest of your life.

Id say 70 percent or more of students attending my school will have it as their first choice on their CAO. Whats with the big consensus on it like ? Pick something different for Jesus sake! Particularly the international students.

I mean is there even future employment prospects for the industry with the major HSE cuts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Hmmmm......

I wonder why you are asking OP.....

There are so many obvious answers to your question...

• Helping others.
      • Making a difference.
      • Research and Development
      • Social Standing.
      • Good Money.
      • Recession Proof.
      • ETC......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Hmmmm......

I wonder why you are asking OP.....

There are so many obvious answers to your question...

• Helping others.
        • Making a difference.
        • Research and Development
        • Social Standing.
        • Good Money.
        • Recession Proof.
        • ETC......

You seem to be another one of those platoons of goons, that dominate the industry. ''make a difference'' do you hear yourself? You say that as if they are some kind of god! Can someone else give me a real reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm going for it because I love science, problem solving, working hard and meeting new people. I like the idea of being able to meet someone who is sick and being able to fix them/make them feel better. Sure there are crazy hours/not so great pay but same with every job. I would never be happy in a desk job or something where you do the exact same thing with the same people year in year out.

In terms of international students, I do see where you are coming from. In my school at least its a combination of cultural expectations (my friend is Chinese, she has never expressed any interest to a large degree in science or medicine, but she's still going for it) and parents being doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

As well from the many valid reasons listed about there is still a prestige attached to being a doctor in this country. That may also attract people to the profession.

That and the shedloads of money to be made across the course of a career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

!MAVERICK! wrote: »

Id say 70 percent or more of students attending my school will have it as their first choice on their CAO.

What School are you attending??? 70% of students?!?!? Something like 3,000 people sit the hpat every year, there will be 1 out of 90 in my year putting medicine down on their CAO in my year.

• Advertisement
      • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think every year there are people who put down medicine just because they will get the points. They could do any course they want, but head for medicine. Maybe it's the money, maybe it's the prestige, but there are many other careers they could do. Sometimes I wonder what they could have achieved in other fields, had they been given the chance, or had someone suggested it was an option.

I know it wouldn't attract me in the slightest, however much it paid. I don't think I'd cope well dealing with the daily poverty and illness and realistically being unable to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Some people do go for it for the "right" reasons, or at least what I would call the right reasons anyway. But since I came to college I have heard a number of reasons that, at the beginning, I was quite surprised at. I've kind of gotten used to it now, but I do have less respect for people in my class who have given reasons such as "Meh, I knew I'd get the points so I thought I may as well do it"..."Dad's a GP, sure I'll have a handy job there when I graduate"..."Theres nothing else with the same prestige and social status"...

An awful lot of people are in it because of parents, and mainly the international students. They're obviously all naturally intelligent, can take to any subject really, so its quite annoying that they have no real interest or fascination with science yet they can fly through the course and the exams. A lot of them have just been told by their parents that medicine is what they'll do and they haven't argued.

I've seen teachers put pressure on people to do medicine when they know they're capable of the points. When I was in Leaving Cert I got a lot of "well I assume you're applying for medicine then?" and they seemed shocked when other high achieving students picked a different course.

Basically, theres a whole lot of people in the course right now who have little interest in the actual helping others aspect of it, but see the chance of a high salary and prestige, and are capable of the work, so instead of making up their own minds about a course they'll go for the one that people seem to admire most.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You seem to be another one of those platoons of goons, ''make a difference'' do you hear yourself? You say that as if they are some kind of god! Can someone else give me a real reply
        Firstly, try being courteous, and don't refer to another user as a goon, please.

Secondly, yes, make a difference ... doctors make a huge difference in the lives of their patients, sometimes even down to saving that life. Doesn't mean they are gods, it means they are doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can someone give me valid reasons why there is such high demand for this career in the country??? Apart from the financial aspect ( which I personally dont even think is that rewarding for its work load and educational requirements) Theres loads of other careers which out pass doctors in earnings....

Not everyone works solely for money. Which seems to be your primary focus. I'm not making a judgement on either approach. Each to their own.

I would say the focus on high points, and people going into medicine just for the money, or nurses focuses on degrees etc, seems to brought many people, especially doctors with no empathy into the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I've often wondered this myself. Where I come from, if you can achieve 550 comfortably, it's almost a given that you will study medicine/pharmacy/dentistry.

Obviously these people want a job that can satisfy their intellect but when you have the luxury of being able to do ANYTHING you want, why do they always do medicine? I always thought of it as a lack of creativity but now I believe it's a lack of guidance. It seems to me that guidance counselors have nothing to offer the highly intelligent besides ''You're smart. Do medicine/pharmacy. It pays well!''

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a decent guidance counselor in their school? From what I can see most don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

BostonB wrote: »
        Does anyone have a decent guidance counselor in their school? From what I can see most don't.

But it looks good for the school/teachers if a percent of their kids go on to study Medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Money talks that is what is so appealing about Medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Fascinating thread from where I'm sitting.

I got the points from medicine, was always obvious to my teachers I would. I didn't really know what I'd get but wanted to be a teacher. But my career guidance teacher kept saying to put it down. I didn't. Why would I? I didn't want it. Everyone was aghast to hear I wanted to become a teacher! Why? Do we not need intelligent teachers?!

My soon-to-be hubby was always adamant he'd be a doctor. It sucks. He said it's nothing like what he had imagined but only since moving up the line he can stick it. Be prepared to miss out on A LOT. And I mean it. Money isn't great. He makes more than me now but when I did grinds I was making far more than him and only working a few hours the odd evening. If you want to change the world and cure everyone forget it but if you are very socialable and well balanced it might work. Too many so-called geeks did it with him and had to retreat to the lab, it's quite demanding on your social skills. If all that sounds ok, do it. But if it's for money or power, do something else.

What School are you attending??? 70% of students?!?!? Something like 3,000 people sit the hpat every year, there will be 1 out of 90 in my year putting medicine down on their CAO in my year.

The Institute on Leeson street, which is overpopulated trust me, while my statement might be a bit exaggerated, I used it as an illustration, there are hundreds in my school with high aspirations for medicine. Maybe because their parents are pushing it on them... I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

OP Doctors do make a difference, a huge difference. They can change the lives of many people, not just those they help but their families as well.

There is a lot of money, it's a worldwide qualification, it's constantly challenging and changing which some people strive on. If all you've got your mind set on for the future is money OP, you're more than likely going to be pretty disappointed.

As well from the many valid reasons listed about there is still a prestige attached to being a doctor in this country. That may also attract people to the profession.

That and the shedloads of money to be made across the course of a career.

I dont find it in any way prestigious.

Also on the money aspect, they are far overpaid, specifically the mafia dentists in this country who rip us off every time. Has anyone compared Northern Irish prices to ROI dental charges? Big difference!

Hopefully the next cabinet that step up to run this banjaxed country will do something constructive with the health industry.

RMD wrote: »
        OP Doctors do make a difference, a huge difference. They can change the lives of many people, not just those they help but their families as well.

There is a lot of money, it's a worldwide qualification, it's constantly challenging and changing which some people strive on. If all you've got your mind set on for the future is money OP, you're more than likely going to be pretty disappointed.

Im not insulting them, I just dont know why there is such hype attached to them.

And concerning financial incentives, I actually find it a great thing to possess, take a look at Michael O' Leary, Bill Gates or Alan Sugar, they all had huge incentives to make money, its all they focused on. They would run through concrete walls to have it. Now look at them... Millions of times times richer than any normal person who receives a wage will ever be. Especially feckin doctors!

If only things were that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Im not insulting them, I just dont know why there is such hype attached to them.

And concerning financial incentives, I actually find it a great thing to possess, take a look at Michael O' Leary, Bill Gates or Alan Sugar, they all had huge incentives to make money, its all they focused on. They would run through concrete walls to have it. Now look at them... Millions of times times richer than any normal person who receives a wage will ever be. Especially feckin doctors!

But look at what they sacrificed to become that rich. What will you spend your money on when all you do is work and work? Nothing else? What's the point of having money if you don't have the time to enjoy it. And as BostonB said, if only things were that simple. The ratio of dreamers / the success you've mentioned would be 10s of millions. A succesful Doctor earns quite a lot more than most people and are definitely at the higher level of the wage payments short of owning your own successful company.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Its not easy to make money or be successful, whether you become a doctor or a business person. No matter what you choose if you want to do it well you will work your arse off and sacrifice a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

You seem to be another one of those platoons of goons, that dominate the industry. ''make a difference'' do you hear yourself? You say that as if they are some kind of god! Can someone else give me a real reply

LOL...

Well that's what I get for answering a question at face value....without checking the OP.....and I guess by "real reply" you mean a reply that reinforces your strongly held opinion of the profession.

I have no connection to the doctors dentists or even vets of this country, except as an occasional customer...I though my user-name would have been a bit of a give-away on that point :)

Only someone that has never had their own life or the life of loves on such as a child or partner in the hands of a doctor could be so disparaging about the whole profession, but I am sure that is something that a little life experience will teach you. I am also certain that there are good and bad eggs in all professions, but it does take a certain type of person to be a good doctor or nurse and our colleges seem to do a reasonably good job at producing well trained medics.

You seem to be very passionate about a career that you do not want to follow, I would be interested to hear what career makes you even more passionate, passionate enough to follow? And what differentiates that career from others that makes it a life choice worth following for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

If you're not willing to accept other peoples opinions why are you posting?!
        Seems that you'll just keep going on calling anyone who wants to do medicine a "goon".
        So please, Listen to other peoples opinions and don't dismiss them just because it isn't the reply you were looking for. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Well, in Germany, all the best minds become engineers and scientists. It's in the countries interest that the best minds be involved in the creation of wealth, which is something doctors do not do. However in ireland they become doctors because, for the most part, they've no ambition/imagination. For some its just their 'calling' I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's in the countries interest that the best minds be involved in the creation of wealth ...
        It's also in the country's interest, therefore, that some of those "best minds" are involved in keeping all those other "best minds" in good physical and mental health, surely? :)

LOL...

Well that's what I get for answering a question at face value....without checking the OP.....and I guess by "real reply" you mean a reply that reinforces your strongly held opinion of the profession.

I have no connection to the doctors dentists or even vets of this country, except as an occasional customer...I though my user-name would have been a bit of a give-away on that point :)

Only someone that has never had their own life or the life of loves on such as a child or partner in the hands of a doctor could be so disparaging about the whole profession, but I am sure that is something that a little life experience will teach you. I am also certain that there are good and bad eggs in all professions, but it does take a certain type of person to be a good doctor or nurse and our colleges seem to do a reasonably good job at producing well trained medics.

You seem to be very passionate about a career that you do not want to follow, I would be interested to hear what career makes you even more passionate, passionate enough to follow? And what differentiates that career from others that makes it a life choice worth following for you?

I am passionate about a career in aviation, and as soon as I finish this damned Leaving cert,I will do my best to find employment in aviation, just like my family. And how in the blue would you know that I dont want to follow it or not? Whether it be aeronautical engineering, flying for airlines or cargo corporations, air traffic controlling, airline management,or civil defense, I dont mind.

What differentiates a job in aviation from everyday job like a doctor is .... you'll enjoy a flexible schedule, thats not just the boring 9-5 every single day for your whole life!

A whole lot more responsibility in your hands at a younger age. All the responsibility a doctor has is to look after senile and sick people. And after you finish studying medicine your hairs will of gone gray, and everyone will of had at least a job before you.

Its more sociable and less stressful than health careers.

There is much higher pay to earn as being a pilot or air traffic controller, Average captain salary in Aer Lingus is currently just over €206,000 to be almost exact. When you add the extras such as performance pay, flying pay, pension contributions etc it comes to €290,000. Cant see the average doctors earning that ? And middle eastern airlines pay more believe it or not! Air traffic controllers are the highest earners and it has been said they earned up to 900,000 last year in Spain.

There are incredible travel perks. You'll also have the opportunity to work with people from all over the continent and globally in some airlines, hold a valued position, get to see the world, Learn a new language, and enjoy free travel and accommodation concessions. And be a part of one of the world's largest and most technically advanced industries.

Its probably harder to get into flying than medicine. But good luck with that. Dunno why you've got such an axe to grind against medicine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I will do my best to find employment in aviation, just like my family.

What differentiates a job in aviation from everyday job like a doctor is .... you'll enjoy a flexible schedule, thats not just the boring 9-5 every single day for your whole life!

There is much higher pay to earn

There are incredible travel perks.

You've pinpointed some of the exact same reasons why some people want to do medicine...so what have you got against people who use these reasons for medicine over aviation?

What about flying doctors. Do you dislike them too?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Medicine is a wonderfully broad degree, there's so much you can do with it and not just be your classic GP. Sure, yes, it's hard going and you need to work very hard if you want to be successful, but that's the same for almost EVERY job. My brother is an accountant and he commonly works until 9PM, and he is reaping the rewards. So all this "but it's SOOOO hard" stuff is silly, every job where you want to be successful will require a huge amount of work. Unless you're lucky enough to have loaded parents or win the lotto or something it's always gonna be hard.

If you love science and want to apply that knowledge to help people, then medicine is a good choice, with some of the broadest ranges of specialities to choose from, or research if that floats your boat. Yes, you must work hard, as you would in any profession to be successful. If you come out the end of med school, you're gauranteed a good choice of career paths.

And of course there's loads of people who go for it for the wrong reasons. That's their problem unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement