Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the river

• 23-01-2011 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

hey kids

im doing a project for college based around the river. i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get info on it like tidal levels, river depts and such. i know that there is info in the library but it wasnt very helpful(not alot of updated stuff)

if you guys know of any web sites or anything where i can get this stuff digitally it would be great.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Icky Thump wrote: »
    hey kids

im doing a project for college based around the river. i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get info on it like tidal levels, river depts and such. i know that there is info in the library but it wasnt very helpful(not alot of updated stuff)

if you guys know of any web sites or anything where i can get this stuff digitally it would be great.

thanks

How useful will your project be? The RNLI might be able to help, but as they are a voluntary organisation I'd try make a case as to why your project might be useful to them, so as not to use up their valuable time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your doing a project and your not even bothered to do your own research....?
    Have you used google.com yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Cabaal wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Didn't he say he went to the library.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dayshah wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Didn't he say he went to the library.

We call Google the Library now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Icky Thump wrote: »
    hey kids

thanks
    We call Google the Library now?

I think that part points out to the fact he went to the library. Open to correction though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 rayzfone

If you go to your local fishing tackle shop you should be able to get a tide table book, it will give all tide times and height.

on the link below is some info on tides
    http://www.exploreseakayaking.com/tide.htm

hope this is of help to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

what would you expect him to do? head down to the river 365 days a year to measure its depth and put an orange on a string and float it down the river to check tides?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

thanks everyone

yea i checked the city library. the problem is alot of the info is from surveys done back in the early 90's. while that information is some help it doesnt make my project look sincere enough. i need to get recent info.

the project itself may never come to anything so i definitly wouldnt want to waste anyones time. i might head out to the rnli station in tramore and have a chat with someone if they are around. i was in a fish and tackle shop up by the square(the big grassy square up near the forum. i dont know the name of areas:D) but i was only looking for maps. i think ill go back and have a chat with them also.

@rayzfone that web page looks great thanks. really helps as i have absolutly no idea when it comes to tidal flows and such.

@Caball i have actually tried google aswell as it is a useful tool for finding information. local libraries can be helpful but when you have alot of information in one place it is hard to narrow down a small piece of information. sometimes "googling" can help you narrow down certain reading material(books) that will be ore helpful. plus the information i am looking for is closer to the "tidal map version of met eireann".

my mate here has a gps for fishing which give depts but getting a boat is another story:rolleyes:

thanks though everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

if ya know anyone in the naval service reserve waterford unit they could be of use to ya!! they would have a good knowledge of the river and could help ya with measuring depths with the use of a "lead line" this is a large lump of lead on a line of rope with markins up the line that represents a depth marking and when the lead hits the river bed it usually has a bit of pig fat or vaseline at the end to determine what is on the river bed as it sticks to the lead, i.e. sand or mud and the where the marking is wet to determines the depth of the river, ya could go in and have word with jamie in j.c. originals he,s a member of the waterford unit he could possibly point ya in the right direction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Had a depth sonar before on a boat and i noticed that depths varied at times in same locations and at same tide hights, so there is probably some movement in the river bed. I might possibly know who to put you in touch with. Whats the project related to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

Had a depth sonar before on a boat and i noticed that depths varied at times in same locations and at same tide hights, so there is probably some movement in the river bed

A build up of trolly's and shopping cones?
    OP MagicSeaweed.com had tidal info, it is for Tramore though so the info might be slightly different. One way of finding out could be to go the the river near Dignity at around full tide give or take 20 mins?
    theres a meter stick on one of the walls of the river and see what the highest reading is?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

No nothing like that at all, would be a fairly large shift of the riverbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Had a depth sonar before on a boat and i noticed that depths varied at times in same locations and at same tide hights, so there is probably some movement in the river bed. I might possibly know who to put you in touch with. Whats the project related to?

cheers dude. i think ill be ok now i have some info that should get me by on it. i have someone checking the dept for me as we speak.

Advertisement