Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams? Are things that bad?

Options
  • 23-01-2011 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

During the last elections in 2007, Gerry Adams went on Prime Time and was embarrassed as regards economic policy. It cost Sinn Fein at least 2 seats in the elections, not least Mary Lou. Correct me if I am wrong but the policies for economic recovery that SF have championed just don't seem realistic to me. I am not FF\FG. I am just worried that people are going to vote for him for the wrong reasons. Ireland needs people who know what they are talking about and I think Shanks Godfrey has a firmer grasp of economics (slippery though that might be) than Adams. Why would anyone vote for him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

True but will people just be electing candidates on their fiscal knowledge ??

During the last elections in 2007, Gerry Adams went on Prime Time and was embarrassed as regards economic policy. It cost Sinn Fein at least 2 seats in the elections?
    During the last elections all kind off promises were made,none more so from the two partys that were elected.FF and The Green party!! The same policies were reflected in FG manifesto.The difference in policy between the was minimal.Where and what is the diffrence between the two now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

IF Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams were so solid then wouldn't it make sense to have him go for election in a constituency without such a safe seat as Louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

@10 green bottles I agree, all sorts of promises were made. But the policies that were pandered at the time made more sense then the mess GA made of SF policies. I'm sure after that appearance that SF policy makers were bulling. The Greens and FF made promises sure, but they could at least explain the policies in a coherent and comprehensible manner, bull****e though they were. Whether you agreed with these polices was up to you.

IF Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams were so solid then wouldn't it make sense to have him go for election in a constituency without such a safe seat as Louth?

Oh for sure, I agree. From a party politics angle it makes complete sense. For SF it makes complete sense. But that isn't the point. GA career so far hasn't shown an understanding of economics, which is what this country needs right now. Unless GA has taken stock and grasped the fundamentals of economics then I just don't think SF are doing themselves any favours putting him forward. Sure, he'll get elected. But you have to ask yourself what Ireland needs at the moment and I just don't think that GA is the answer. I think the seat could be filled by someone who has an educated grasp of the situation. For all GA talents, I just don't see economics as one of them. And that is what we need right now.

• Advertisement

Nobody in SF believes that this seat is a shoo in and we will be working hard to make sure that we dont get complacent.
    Will Peter Fitzpatrick stand in a constituency outside of Louth/East Meath ???

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Please tell me Fitzpatrick is not standing. The Louth GAA or any other manager should stay the fcuk out of politics

Have heard him interviewed and he's not the most coherent fella either

Oh for sure, I agree. From a party politics angle it makes complete sense. For SF it makes complete sense. But that isn't the point. GA career so far hasn't shown an understanding of economics, which is what this country needs right now. Unless GA has taken stock and grasped the fundamentals of economics then I just don't think SF are doing themselves any favours putting him forward. Sure, he'll get elected. But you have to ask yourself what Ireland needs at the moment and I just don't think that GA is the answer. I think the seat could be filled by someone who has an educated grasp of the situation. For all GA talents, I just don't see economics as one of them. And that is what we need right now.
    You see,i see all this and its nothing but a WIND UP,i dont see who you are pushing forward because all your post does is slate GA and i can do that for any named politician .
    Who are you proposing??

I think the idea of Fitzer standing is a disgrace. I think what the man has done for Louth is amazing. But for heavens sake, we need people who are educated in the areas that are important for the future of the country. Nice guy as he is, the guys I'll be voting for are the ones that have competence and expertise in legislation and economics. That narrows the field I know, but what have you!?

@10green bottles I see your point. There is a dearth of candidates who you could rely on to legislate responsibly. I would put forward Gerald Nash. He knows what he is talking about and has the qualifications to back it up. He is one. But more are needed. Look at Thomas Byrne sweeping the last election in Meath...

• Advertisement

freddiek wrote: »
    Please tell me Fitzpatrick is not standing. The Louth GAA or any other manager should stay the fcuk out of politics

Have heard him interviewed and he's not the most coherent fella either
    Peter is on/off off/on,defo not going for it/maybe i will/wont,its pretty indicative of the man if you ask me :mad:

Breathnach (FF) was on the canvass in Dundalk today. Is he favoured to take a seat for FF over the Carroll fella from south Louth ??

@10green bottles I see your point. There is a dearth of candidates who you could rely on to legislate responsibly. I would put forward Gerald Nash. He knows what he is talking about and has the qualifications to back it up. He is one. But more are needed. Look at Thomas Byrne sweeping the last election in Meath...
    Mr Nash may Focus his eyes on North Louth fair quick because i will tell you he is not known and nor is his name known in the area.

Breathnach (FF) was on the canvass in Dundalk today. Is he favoured to take a seat for FF over the Carroll fella from south Louth ??
    LOL :D
    good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

I think people need to start looking at the bigger picture when it comes to this issue.

Yes it is widely accepted that Gerry Adams damaged SF election last time out with his performance on the leaders questions, but without giving someone a stick to beat my argument with, he doesn't live in the state or deal on a day to day basis with the intricacies of the Irish economy. He would no doubt have a better comprehension on the economy in the north. Would Jackie Healy Ray have managed better, the argument here is that even a lot politicians from the state have little knowledge of the various aspects of the Irish economy.

Secondly, remember it is a party that is being voted for, GA doesn't decide SF policy on his own, i'm sure that after a number of years in the financial sector Caoimhin O Caolain has a better grasp of what is needed than GA so someone like him, together with people employed by the party to help develop strategy along the lines of the party's ideals, would develop economic policy.

And lastly remember GA is known around the world, his name no longer has the same connotations attached to it as it once did, he is regarded as a statesman and a peacemaker.

It is up to the people of Louth to decide whether they would like GA to represent them in the Dail, but from experience SF as a party are one of the hardest working parties for their constituents, even in areas where they are not officially represented.

FF stand to be wiped out in County Louth. On 6 opinion polls that i have seen they stand (in the county) @ 5/6 % .

Mr Nash may Focus his eyes on North Louth fair quick because i will tell you he is not known and nor is his name known in the area.

Mr. Nash has focused 'his eyes' on North Louth in recent years. There was a traditional Labour vote in Dundalk prior to Mickey Bell taking the piss. I think Mr. Nash can and will recapture a substantial number of disillusioned voters in Dundalk. What do you think?

FF stand to be wiped out in County Louth. On 6 opinion polls that i have seen they stand (in the county) @ 5/6 % .

surely if that's the case, Adams will walk it then and probably top the poll

Mr. Nash has focused 'his eyes' on North Louth in recent years. There was a traditional Labour vote in Dundalk prior to Mickey Bell taking the piss. I think Mr. Nash can and will recapture a substantial number of disillusioned voters in Dundalk. What do you think?
    The vote for Labour is there certainly,two months(or maybe less) to tap it.
    I can see the goverment coming down this week and the election happening in Feb.

I think people need to start looking at the bigger picture when it comes to this issue.

Yes it is widely accepted that Gerry Adams damaged SF election last time out with his performance on the leaders questions, but without giving someone a stick to beat my argument with, he doesn't live in the state or deal on a day to day basis with the intricacies of the Irish economy. He would no doubt have a better comprehension on the economy in the north. Would Jackie Healy Ray have managed better, the argument here is that even a lot politicians from the state have little knowledge of the various aspects of the Irish economy.

Secondly, remember it is a party that is being voted for, GA doesn't decide SF policy on his own, i'm sure that after a number of years in the financial sector Caoimhin O Caolain has a better grasp of what is needed than GA so someone like him, together with people employed by the party to help develop strategy along the lines of the party's ideals, would develop economic policy.

And lastly remember GA is known around the world, his name no longer has the same connotations attached to it as it once did, he is regarded as a statesman and a peacemaker.

It is up to the people of Louth to decide whether they would like GA to represent them in the Dail, but from experience SF as a party are one of the hardest working parties for their constituents, even in areas where they are not officially represented.

I think your first point is moot. If GA wasn't up to scratch on domestic policy why put him up for debate? He should have been polished on the intricacies of Irish economics before he represented SF, and if he wasn't, someone else should have been.

Secondly, if GA is representing SF then he should be coherent in his statements and beliefs. If not send someone else who is forward.

SF are one of the most active parties for sending out fliers and interacting with the public. Unless they present workable policies it means nothing. Which so far they have not. My worry would be that if they do get elected, in this economic environment then they won't be able to produce.

• Advertisement

FF votes will more than likely go to FG/LABOUR.
    SF dont expect GA to top the poll,over the line on count 5 will do GMA.:)

I think your first point is moot. If GA wasn't up to scratch on domestic policy why put him up for debate? He should have been polished on the intricacies of Irish economics before he represented SF, and if he wasn't, someone else should have been.

Secondly, if GA is representing SF then he should be coherent in his statements and beliefs. If not send someone else who is forward.

SF are one of the most active parties for sending out fliers and interacting with the public. Unless they present workable policies it means nothing. Which so far they have not. My worry would be that if they do get elected, in this economic environment then they won't be able to produce.
    Another wum on SF and GA. Attacking from a blind position is easy FFS.Push your partys policies and argue from that angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nobody in SF believes that this seat is a shoo in and we will be working hard to make sure that we dont get complacent.
    Will Peter Fitzpatrick stand in a constituency outside of Louth/East Meath ???
    Well then you're wasting time that could be spent elsewhere, Adams will walk in. I'm going to say he'll get in on the first count and the rest of the vote will be be very fractured depending on how many candidates FG and Lab put up.
    He definitely will. It's not complacent to state this, it's common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Gerry should walk in. I think he will be an excellent TD with the national agenda on his mind. A true Irishman. Cant wait to see him in the Dáil, with SF as the main opposition.

Ged Nash is probably too busy off canvasing for the British labour party in England to pop up to Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Ignorance is bliss.

Adams will get in, history has shown that idiots are often led by a desired or unattainable goal.

What every other person has to hope, is that they ALL come out and vote for Adams in force. Had SF done this right they could have ran two candidates and got both of them in. Now it's just eggs in one basket on Adams. Meaning their votes are only going to one blip of badness in the dail as opposed to two.

What separates FG and FF are the people who vote FG, the socioeconomic group, the art lovers, the red wine drinkers. It's those people that push behind a party that gives a certain party such a good reputation, and in turn other's such a bad one. I don't seem to hear Tomás Sharkey crying out of him anymore about how the government lost half of the national reserve in diamond minds, why is this ?

It's also why most people in Louth would give their right arm to prevent Adams getting into the dáil.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    It's also why most people in Louth would give their right arm to prevent Adams getting into the dáil.

Judging from conversations had and heard there'll be quite a few first-time voters going for Adams, and I don't mean people entitled to vote for the first time. He's in without a doubt.

BTW Wolfe Tone (Mussolini?) that wasn't a compliment towards those people. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I know, I thanked it because it is true. Many people who have never voted plan to do so, and for Adams.

If it was Britain they wouldn't be allowed to vote yet. :pac:

• Advertisement

Another wum on SF and GA. Attacking from a blind position is easy FFS.Push your partys policies and argue from that angle.

Good lad, if you can't debate then just insult.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement