Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams? Are things that bad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Great result.
    Am delighted for Louth and for Gerry.

Can't wait to see how the stickies in the Labour Party handle a bit of intelligent debating. Not very well is my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

hamlet1 wrote: »
    i am so upset that people in louth voted in that despicable adams.to think that we will have to look at him in any tv dail coverage and listen to him talking about this country,in that ghastly accent.he doesnt give a damn about us in this country,he should have stayed in his own one.i am so disillusioned.

You can accuse Gerry Adams of many things, but not caring about Ireland, north or south, is not one of them. Their policies may be populist but Sinn Féin reps put their money where their mouth is, and will take home no more than the average industrial wage.

Unlikely the careerist politicians like Kirk, O'Dowd, Nash will do the same. They will continue to live on salaries light years apart from the majority of people they claim to represent..

Can't see Fitzpatrick lasting a full term in the Dáil. If he gets anywhere near a mic, he will be slaughtered by the radio/tv satirists and mimics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeap. 21% of the county have chosen the man to represent us all for the next few years. The joys of democracy :D

Don't get me wrong. I want to be proven wrong here. I want him to do a fantastic job and make sure there's loads of improvements to Louth. Sadly, I don't have much faith in him (and neither does the other 79% of the people who voted), and it strikes me that the way people are acting in here over his victory is a reason some get annoyed with the SF voting base, but there you go. We're stuck with him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

its a free country at least most of it is and the people of louth have spoken and there message couldnt be any clearer

Have to agree on this one, the 26 counties have been too long in the hands of corrupt politicians.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how far it'd get ya.;)
    Anyway, you obviously missed the quite obvious sarcasm in my post, so I'd better be a bit more blunt:
    Moaning about anyone because of their accent is a bit silly.
    Got it that time?

Got it the firs time, just couldnt resist :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Sadly, I don't have much faith in him (and neither does the other 79% of the people who voted)
    Oh, so that's how proportional representation works.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

i am even more disillusioned that somebody would describe the north of ireland as a different country ( surely even the name is a give away )

Excuse my ignorance but isn't the fact that Northern Ireland IS a different country the whole point of IRA and Sinn Feinn's existence???

But anyway... the people of Louth (albeit 1 in 5 of us) have chosen to elect him. Lets now see what wonderful things he's going to do for the county. I suspect the answer is very little. Wonder has anyone told him what the VAT rate is yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

i am so upset that people in louth voted in that despicable adams.to think that we will have to look at him in any tv dail coverage and listen to him talking about this country,in that ghastly accent.he doesnt give a damn about us in this country,he should have stayed in his own one.i am so disillusioned.

His own Country? Funny just because its run by British i am pretty sure he is Irish and that is our country.
    Seems the majority dont agree with you thank god.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Oh, so that's how proportional representation works.:rolleyes:

Notice the roll-eyes smilie in the first sentence of my post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

Have to agree on this one, the 26 counties have been too long in the hands of corrupt politicians.

oh and f.g arent getting there money from big buisness and they wont be stuffing their party faithful into any jobs they will create ( well they will have to give them something for standing aside for their celebrity candidates

• Advertisement

LOL. And Gerry Adams is not a celebrity candidate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

No, because he is well known because of his politics.

certainly not he has dedicated his life to politics

oh and f.g arent getting there money from big buisness and they wont be stuffing their party faithful into any jobs they will create ( well they will have to give them something for standing aside for their celebrity candidates

I dont know, please enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

@10 green bottles I agree, all sorts of promises were made. But the policies that were pandered at the time made more sense then the mess GA made of SF policies. I'm sure after that appearance that SF policy makers were bulling. The Greens and FF made promises sure, but they could at least explain the policies in a coherent and comprehensible manner, bull****e though they were. Whether you agreed with these polices was up to you.

If I explain my lie, does it make it any less a lie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

caseyann wrote: »
    His own Country? Funny just because its run by British i am pretty sure he is Irish and that is our country.
    Seems the majority dont agree with you thank god.
    he is not irish,he is northern irish and they are completely different.

His politics may not please everyone, but Gerry is Irish, and lives in Co. Louth.

But anyway... the people of Louth (albeit 1 in 5 of us) have chosen to elect him. Lets now see what wonderful things he's going to do for the county. I suspect the answer is very little. Wonder has anyone told him what the VAT rate is yet?[/QUOTE]

still going on about the vat rate didnt anybody tell you he got elected

Wow lmao this gets thinner and thinner as an argument.Can you hear yourself?
    Gerry is Irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And anyone who lives north of the country and call themselves Irish are Irish.

It would be like saying someone who emigrated and got passport of another country and say they arent Irish anymore lol

I dont know, please enlighten me.

sorry i dont have that sort of time to waste

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

His politics may not please everyone, but Gerry is Irish, and lives in Co. Louth.
    he was born in the north therefore is northern irish and he has only lodged with some dodgy character in louth for about 5 minutes.i dont call that living here.

he was born in the north therefore is northern irish and he has only lodged with some dodgy character in louth for about 5 minutes.i dont call that living here.

when did you dream up the term northern irish. it is honestly the stupidest thing i have ever seen on boards

Call it what you like, its the truth however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

where does he live?

You see this is where your problem lies.You see a border where he doesnt and we dont.Only by British paper is that border there but guess what not for very much longer :) They are Irish natives just because been under rule of British and had basically no choice in it does not make them any less Irish.
    You do realize they are Irish,the term northern Irish is like made up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Gerry Adams

Irish Citizen/Passport Holder
    Irish resident
    Irish public representative
    Gaelgoir:pac:

macadam wrote: »
    where does he live?

ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Ive never understood the anger and jokes made towards SF.Irish people have always been afraid of change,afraid to rock the boat,probably the reason we are one of the most underdeveloped countries in Europe.Ireland is in a deep pit,brought about by greed and extremely bad Fianna Fail management.Cowan walks around freely, were he in any other country he would have been shot or arrested bt now,ohh but not in Bog Ireland.FF people said were the party of business the party of big decisions but they sank Ireland back to the 1970's.So why badmouth SF or even Labour??????It couldnt possibly be worse.WAKE UP IRELAND,we are moving on,Fianna Fail are gone,Greens are gone(they had good policies but stayed in bed way too long with FF) LONG LIVE THE KING.

macadam wrote: »
    where does he live?

with some dodgy character in louth

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    No, because he is well known because of his politics.

So you're telling me that if we went out onto the streets and asked 100 people "What is Gerry Adams most well known for?", the reply would be his politics? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm off to bed now. I'll end by saying this. SF chose an area where they knew Adams would get in. His and his party's policies appeal to the lower classes who have been victimised, and SF can make these wonderful promises knowing full well they will never actually have to enforce or carry through on them. Most of these promises revolve around saying how they are against the unpopular (yet, sadly, often nessecary) policies of the more popular parties, rather than what they actually are for.

In the meanwhile, people are so desperate for a change, so desperate for an alternative, that they vote for SF. Let's not kid ourselves; people do not trust FF or FG, nor is there much love for Labour or the Greens. People feel disenchanted and angry with how the country has been run for the last few years and are choosing the only real alternative, no matter how flimsey the policies of the alternatives actually are off of paper.

I'd love to see the breakdown of the ages who voted for SF; I have a feeling you'll find the majority of people who voted are from a younger generation who want to have a different style of government; a youthful generation to now relate politics and democracy to a bunch of bad apples and fail to seperate the system from the corrupt people running it. SF happen to be in the right place at the right time and capitalised on tactical voting, sending their most "popular" candidate into an area where the promises would appeal the most. As far as a "The people have spoken" attitude, you're right, but only to an extent; it's not that a majority have voted GA in but rather a large minority. In fact, looking at the results, on a party basis, the largest minorty voted for FG, but split their votes over two candidates whereas SF had the common sense to only put up the one.

That is, and please note the sarcasm, the "joys" of our democratic election system.
    sorry i dont have that sort of time to waste

You asked me earlier if I thought someone attacking spelling, punctuation, etc was a sign someone was losing an arguement, and I said no. To me, a sign that someone is losing and knows it is when they make a grand statement, are asked to back it up and reply that the can't be bothered, as if their nonchalance is enough to excuse them from logical and rational debate; a trick which a few of the pro-SF voters in this topic have fallen back on a few times now.

Anyway, yeah. I'm going to rest my weary head now. Night y'all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement