Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams? Are things that bad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Scotty # wrote: »
    I was going to ask you for examples but Srameen has given a good one I think.

If Sinn Fein supporters are happy to live in a society were THEY KNOW our top servants are in their jobs not because they were the best but because they were willing to work for (comparatively) low wages then good luck to them but where are you going to find a high court judge willing to work for €100K when they could be a barrister earning €250K+ in the private sector, a financial regulator who could be on €400K+ in the private sector, a manager for our airports, our emergency services, and so on and so on.....

It's not necessarily the idea of capping that's the problem. It's the €100K that's so ludicrous. I have a few friends that would earn €100K+ a year. I certainly would not be recommending any of them as Minster for Justice, Health, or Finance!!

so our highly paid public sector employees in the dept of finance for instance have justified their salarys in the last few years have they ? or in the hse ? , if it was private sector they would all have been fired by now

as for scrameen point on ceo in france that may very well be true , one is ceo of an electricity company for france with pop of what 70 million,the other is ceo of an eletricty company on wet bankrupt island with a population of 4 million its hardly a valid comparison . funny if our guys are so good and only earning 700k per year they have not been headhunted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

hawk222 wrote: »
    my god our you for real :confused:

Thats what he said and I'd have loved to continue the discussion to get clarification but it never came :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

danbohan wrote: »
    so our highly paid public sector employees in the dept of finance for instance have justified their salarys in the last few years have they ? or in the hse ? , if it was private sector they would all have been fired by now
    It's a separate issue. Lazy incompetent staff should not be tolerated and should be sacked without pensions or big payouts just as happens in the private sector.

It does not change the fact of my argument though... €100K cap for top level public servants is a nonsense suggestion from someone who either,
    • (A) Hasn't a clue.
    • (B) Is simply playing to the audience.
    But then again, he has also stated that he would tell the IMF to shove it and to reverse the Public Service and Social Welfare cuts that were implemented in the last budget. Maybe the answer is (A).

But to bring the thread closer to the topic... why would anyone vote for a candidate that does, as far as I am aware, not live in the constituency and never has? What do you expect GA do do for the Co. Louth if elected? Why chose him over the other candidates that have lived here all there lives and are heavily involved in local issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

danbohan wrote: »
    its hardly a valid comparison . funny if our guys are so good and only earning 700k per year they have not been headhunted

You're dragging this nicely away from the topic of the inept Ga but that can't go unanswered.

1) You raised France not me.

2) You really need to look at the employment history of our state CEOs and see the role the went on to in the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

i dont see why people are gettting so worked up about gerry adams hes as good as elected so they would be better off doing something useful.imagine how stupid you all will feel when he tops the poll

• Advertisement

i dont see why people are gettting so worked up about gerry adams hes as good as elected so they would be better off doing something useful.imagine how stupid you all will feel when he tops the poll

There's nothing wrong with people having an educated debate on issues around the election. In fact it's what people should be doing. Nobody is getting worked up; just a mature discussion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Let the mods worry about libelous posts please. Feel free to report anything that causes concern though.

wee truck big driver; careful now, posters are voicing opinions and views; trolling will not be tolerated on the forum.

There's nothing wrong with people having an educated debate on issues around the election. In fact it's what people should be doing. Nobody is getting worked up; just a mature discussion.

surely just repeating the same old lines isnt an educated debate. i am just saying you could find more productive things to be doing like arguing over who should get the fifth seat a blueshirt footballer, or a slappie red, or even an undercover f.f hopeful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

We are worse on here to be discussing ADAMS, anyone that doesnt know about economics or even the current vat rate does not deserve even recognition in this election, what its all about is getting the country back in business creating jobs etc.
    You either know what your on about or feck off cause you will just be another expense on us already burdened tax payers.

surely just repeating the same old lines isnt an educated debate. i am just saying you could find more productive things to be doing like arguing over who should get the fifth seat a blueshirt footballer, or a slappie red, or even an undercover f.f hopeful

People are repeating things because they are no finding the answers adequete, especially since alot of the answers are not being provided.

Meanwhile, one could argue the very fact it is looking likely he will be elected is a strong reason to discuss him and him alone; by all indications, Gerry Adams will soon be representing us as a people and that means we as a people should have every right to be discussing hs policies, beliefs and the actions he will take when he gets in. As you said, he's pretty much a dead cert at this stage so of course people will be wanting to discuss how he's going to represent us and what changes, if any, he plans on making...

• Advertisement

surely just repeating the same old lines isnt an educated debate.
    There has been little repetition here except to ask that you answer some questions put to you which need answers if the point you were trying to make is to have any weight.

by all indications, Gerry Adams will soon be representing us as a people and that means we as a people should have every right to be discussing hs policies, beliefs and the actions he will take when he gets in. As you said, he's pretty much a dead cert at this stage so of course people will be wanting to discuss how he's going to represent us and what changes, if any, he plans on making...

He will be representing us in opposition - not as part of Government. This is an important distinction IMO when considering your vote. Do you want to elect someone who is likely to be part of the newly formed Government and actually has some clout? or do you want to elect someone who hasn't a hope in hell of being in Government and will have very little power to do anything?

There are SO many reasons GA should not get your vote. Sinn Feins recovery strategy is insane, reverse the cuts, don't take the bailout, use the pension fund instead (which would last less than a year, what then Gerry?). The fact that he does not understand our economy (doesn't know VAT rates... does he know income tax rates, interest rates, minimum wage, welfare?). The fact that he does not now, and has never lived within the constituency among the people he is asking to elect him. He is not aware of LOCAL issues. He didn't choose Louth as his constituency because of his love for the area, no, he picked it because he knew he'd walk it! Can anyone point me to his agenda for local issues if and when he's elected? What!?! He doesn't have one??? From what I've seen and heard from him in the last week I'd say he'd have trouble finding Louth on a map tbh.

The very notion of electing him to represent us is madness! 90% if Irish people will not vote for SF (according to last Sundays SI poll). But yet in Louth he doesn't even feel the need to canvas or state what he will do for Louth if elected!?!

Has anyone got any good reasons why we should vote for him? I can't think of a single one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The opposition play a very significant role. By your logic we all should have votedFF the last time as it was obvious they would win

What you say is rubbish I have seen Gerry in Drogheda many a time over the years, he knows the area well.

Its strange, on one point people bash Healy Rae for only caring about local issue and demand politicians to focus on national issues, here you are saying that Adams will do just that(I believe he will do both) and you use that to bash him. What do you want?

i will be voting for f.g number 2 + 3 i would love for them to have an overall majority. so that when the following election comes round not only will f.f be a thing of the past but f.g will be annihalated and who will be there to pick up the peices thats right s.f

That's an optamistic view, hoping our next government will fail as well, pulling our country down further.

That's an optamistic view, hoping our next government will fail as well, pulling our country down further.

if you think thats optimistic i would hate to see what you call pessimistic although you could be right we could be that far gone it wont be worth having an election

Evidently, sarcasm goes over your head <_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Is there a podcast or link to his interview from The Old Gaol in Dundalk today?

Evidently, sarcasm goes over your head <_<

and you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i will be voting for f.g number 2 + 3 i would love for them to have an overall majority. so that when the following election comes round not only will f.f be a thing of the past but f.g will be annihalated and who will be there to pick up the peices thats right s.f

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

OK so lets say in a moment of madness we end of with SF in government and GA starts to fulfil his promises...
    • Rejects the IMF bailout.
    • Reverses the budget social welfare cuts and even increases (:eek:) them.
    • Burns the bondholders.
    • Cuts the USC
    Were do we get the €20 BILLION we need that we are short to run the country over the next few years??? How are we going to pay our nurses, teachers, doctors, guards, firemen, bus drivers, soldiers, postmen, ESB workers???

Northern Bank won't have it!

The country would be broke within a week, really broke, no money at ATM's, no emergency services, no electricity!! SF supporters need to open their eyes. We NEED a bailout! We NEED the cuts! Do the math ffs!

Unless, of course, SF have a better idea of how to come up with €20 Billion?? Oh yea, their going to hire a load of cheapo CSO's for €100K to run everything. :rolleyes:

I honestly pity anyone who believes that voting for Gerry Adams is in his/her best interest. I really do.

This figure keeps getting bigger and bigger, its 20 billion now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Do you concede on the rest of the post?

You should know by now that I concede nothing!

Can you guarantee that we wont default in a few years anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

You should know by now that I concede nothing!

Can you guarantee that we wont default in a few years anyways?

A few years would be better than a few days under you know who, its also strange that he thinks everyone is against him, suing The Herald and Probably Paul williams as well.
    People of Louth wake up the fook.

Ah he is suing the herald?

Were do we get the €20 BILLION we need that we are short to run the country over the next few years??? How are we going to pay our nurses, teachers, doctors, guards, firemen, bus drivers, soldiers, postmen, ESB workers???

Just on a point of Order Mr. Chairman. For clarity. ESB workers are not paid from the public purse and no government monies fund that company. Indeed they pay a dividend to the state each year and are self financing.

I think €19.5 Billion is the official figure but sure what's €500,000,000 between friends?
    Just on a point of Order Mr. Chairman. For clarity. ESB workers are not paid from the public purse and no government monies fund that company.
    You are correct BUT as a state owned body I think it would collapse if the state where to collapse? Especially when it's top guys are told by Gerry they will be working for €100K/year from now on. Sure I think some of their ground level guys are on that with a bit of overtime??

You are correct BUT as a state owned body I think it would collapse if the state where to collapse? Especially when it's top guys are told by Gerry they will be working for €100K/year from now on. Sure I think some of their ground level guys are on that with a bit of overtime??
    Not true. They have their own credit rating and borrow for their own funding. Their survival is in no way linked to that of the state; other than as an Irish business their rating may be lowered.

As for the €100k limit. Yes, it's total bull. That said their CEO is supposed to be about to announce a 50% cut in his remuneration package as a result of cost cutting in the company.

Anyway back to GA. The man is a child when it comes to ecomonics. Just what we need right now. :rolleyes:
    He may have been seen visiting Drogheda a few times over the years - hardly makes him a local or leaves him informed on local issues.
    They will be a noisy opposition for sure but nothing more. No power to influence policy (thank God) and privately hoping, I'm sure, never to actaully have to run the country. But who wants to vote for an opposition rather than a government. We need to vote with a mind to creating an effective government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

Again, the statement by Mr Adams was not related to the Health Service.

How familiar are you with the French System? I lived there for 12 months from 2007 to 2008
    The French social security system (l'assurance maladie, or the Sécu)
    only reimburses a percentage of charges. Your contributions towards it from your wages are huge. I paid more for myself there than I do for top Private Health Insurance for my family of 4 here.
    Since then Social security health contributions have been increased, as have fees for medical consultations, whilst reimbursement levels have been reduced.

The State controlled health insurance social security system operates in conjunction with a separate voluntary health insurance system called assurance complémentaire, provided through mutual organisations and private insurers.
    Yes, the treatment is very good but don't use France as an example of a cost efficient system.

Just Emailed my friend who has lived in Germany for 24 years and he confirms "In 2010, the government subsidized the German statutory health insurance with 15.7 billion euro thereby lowering the contribution rate for the insured by 1.6 percentage points to 14.9 percent regardless of their household income. "
    Care to pay 15% of your income to pay for the health system in addition to the exchequer making payments?

Get the facts.

Anyway sorry for drifting off topic as all that has nothing to do with the €100k cap.

The CEO of ESB earns €750k pa no stock options. His counterpart is France (per forbes) got:

Compensation for 2009
    Salary €892,077.00
    Bonus €519,188.00
    Restricted stock awards €0.00
    All other compensation €98,212.00
    Option awards $ €0.00
    Non-equity incentive plan compensation €0.00
    Change in pension value and nonqualified deferred compensation earnings €0.00
    Total Compensation €1,509,477.00

Again, get the facts.

Aye i suppose you are right.. yer man in ESB has a huge population to look after compared to yer man in France :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement