Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams? Are things that bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's a separate issue. Lazy incompetent staff should not be tolerated and should be sacked without pensions or big payouts just as happens in the private sector.

It does not change the fact of my argument though... €100K cap for top level public servants is a nonsense suggestion from someone who either,
    • (A) Hasn't a clue.
    • (B) Is simply playing to the audience.
    But then again, he has also stated that he would tell the IMF to shove it and to reverse the Public Service and Social Welfare cuts that were implemented in the last budget. Maybe the answer is (A).

But to bring the thread closer to the topic... why would anyone vote for a candidate that does, as far as I am aware, not live in the constituency and never has? What do you expect GA do do for the Co. Louth if elected? Why chose him over the other candidates that have lived here all there lives and are heavily involved in local issues?

We've had certain government elected officials who lived here all their lives (and who have received serious pensions) and didn't say a word about our poor hospital going down the swanny as far as I can see...

All this banter about the parties' Economic policies is a load of búll****, at the end of the day, they all hire the same economists, lawyers, accountants etc to do the work so they can promise all they want....

Sure.. FF's sums were correct when they were running the country for years and didn't they have two former "clued in, professional" Finance ministers who became Taoiseach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cerebis wrote: »
    Aye i suppose you are right.. yer man in ESB has a huge population to look after compared to yer man in France :rolleyes:

Actually annual capital investment in Networks, and general infrastructure, is as high by ESB in Ireland (not including ESB investments in NI, Britain, Spain etc) as EDF.

Immaterial anyway as any suggestion to limit the pay of any CEO of a state body to €100k is sheer folly and shows a total ignorance of what salaries are out there and required to attract the right people.

"Immaterial anyway as any suggestion to limit the pay of any CEO of a state body to €100k is sheer folly and shows a total ignorance of what salaries are out there and required to attract the right people."

Does anyone actually think the above could be enforceable ? tbh... it's not all black and white.. did Gerry really say ALL public servants would be capped at 100K? , if so it was a foolish remark ... I'm sure other parties have their crazy moments also...

TBH we should be looking at getting the best of the best private sector non-elected representatives in to do some jobs and not just promoting the next person on the list (if this kind of thing happens) in the public sector..

What we really need is an end to the jobs for the boys and nepotism that is rife at the moment in our government...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

All this banter about the parties' Economic policies is a load of búll****... so they can promise all they want....
    Exactly! so why vote for someone who talks "a load of bull****"?
    Does anyone actually think the above could be enforceable ?
    Only Sinn Fein...
    did Gerry really say ALL public servants would be capped at 100K? , if so it was a foolish remark ...
    Yes, except for consultants who would be capped at €150K. It wasn't a 'remark', it's in their manifesto. Anyone considering giving them their vote should read it.

To be honest, there are one or two things I would like to see the other parties take on... abolish the Seanad and take back the rights to our natural resources (watch the vid in my sig! - €536 Billion worth just given away for nothing!)
    What we really need is an end to the jobs for the boys and nepotism that is rife at the moment in our government...
    Hear! Hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

Can we get back to why people should or should not vote for GA?

I've always lived in Louth and while I don't like SF i accept their right to run candidates. However with a party organisation as strong as it is in Louth I would have thought there would have been strong local contenders who at least have a track record of community activism rather than Gerry who just breezes in and out on his way between Dublin and Belfast.

Now as Gerry is so big into capping salaries I'm interested in understanding his finances and pension situation given that he will be in the unique situation of having the benefit of being elected to 3 parliments - Westminister, Stormont and soon to be the Dáil?

Can any of his supporters clarify this for me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

Deepwell wrote: »
    Can we get back to why people should or should not vote for GA?

I've always lived in Louth and while I don't like SF i accept their right to run candidates. However with a party organisation as strong as it is in Louth I would have thought there would have been strong local contenders who at least have a track record of community activism rather than Gerry who just breezes in and out on his way between Dublin and Belfast.

Now as Gerry is so big into capping salaries I'm interested in understanding his finances and pension situation given that he will be in the unique situation of having the benefit of being elected to 3 parliments - Westminister, Stormont and soon to be the Dáil?

Can any of his supporters clarify this for me?

sure its a well known fact that gerry has a big mansion up on the hills looking down over belfast with a heated outdoor pool. he also has holiday homes in florida and spain. he has massive incomes and lives the high life out wineing and dining every night. he never does a bat, lies around the pool all day thats when hes not in the jacuuzi

Doubt Gerry will be happy with you propagating rumours like that - it might tarnish his halo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

sure its a well known fact that gerry has a big mansion up on the hills looking down over belfast with a heated outdoor pool. he also has holiday homes in florida and spain. he has massive incomes and lives the high life out wineing and dining every night. he never does a bat, lies around the pool all day thats when hes not in the jacuuzi
    sarcasm.jpg

sarcasm.jpg

maybe it does maybe it doesnt

Typical SF supporter - happy to exploit the democratic process until it does not go their way. Then the Armalite gets put back on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

maybe it does maybe it doesnt

Very typical of how you always avoid the issues raised and try to deflect from the discussion when the going gets tough.

Care to seriously defend some of the policies coming from SF? Or GA's suitability for Louth over the active SF members already here and well able to fight, and perhaps take, a seat?
    We'll keep away from GA's dubious history or that of the party and just take it from today. How can SF help restore this country with their stated policies? Can they be anything more than a loud opposition saying "down with this sort of thing" " this is wrong: that is wring" but not have any sound alternatives on offer?

everybody knows they are going to be in opposositon they have already stated they would not go into coalition with f.g or f.f so that rules them out on this occasion. sin fein have always been good stratagists whether thats fighting one of the richest armies in the world , spliting the unionist votes and becoming the biggest party in the six counties. any party with an ounce of sense would stay well away from the next goverment it will finish them. if f.f had have had the brains and not been so hungry for power at the last election they would now be sitting in goverment with the biggest overall majority ever seen in this country

also should you vote for a party that you dont agre with just because they or going to be in power

Scotty # wrote: »
    Exactly! so why vote for someone who talks "a load of bull****"?

Only Sinn Fein...

Yes, except for consultants who would be capped at €150K. It wasn't a 'remark', it's in their manifesto. Anyone considering giving them their vote should read it.

To be honest, there are one or two things I would like to see the other parties take on... abolish the Seanad and take back the rights to our natural resources (watch the vid in my sig! - €536 Billion worth just given away for nothing!)

Hear! Hear!

lol.... why vote for someone who talks alot of bull****? they ALL talk bull**** tbh....

i read the manifesto... there's nothing in it about capping consultants @ 150K...

It does say the below.... which i'd be in favour of..

5) Capping ministerial salaries at €100,000;
    TDs’ salaries at €75,000.

it does not say anything about putting a cap on public wages?

i like this one as well:

7) Changing the law to allow for the
    impeachment or removal from the Dáil
    any TD involved in corruption, deliberate
    misuse of public money or fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

fraud you say, thats it we may close this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

i read the manifesto... there's nothing in it about capping consultants @ 150K...

it does not say anything about putting a cap on public wages?

Sorry Cerebis... it's in their Health Manifesto (which I can't find?). But I found out about it here.

As for the €100K cap of public servants... that's been stated by GA is several interviews in the last week and also the live debate I think. You can read all about it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Stopthemuppets

Important that FF suffer resounding defeat as this will send a message to ALL parties that they cannot run the palce carte blanche and for the benefit of themselves/developers, developers wives, developers wives friends, developers wives friends dogs, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Important that FF suffer resounding defeat as this will send a message to ALL parties that they cannot run the palce carte blanche and for the benefit of themselves/developers, developers wives, developers wives friends, developers wives friends dogs, etc etc

and don't forget developers bit on the side.

Sorry G but I have first hand experience of JN and was not impressed. Not impressed at all. Depressing that we have to choose from a bunch of career politicos, shysters, no hopers, non-entities and the odd loon thrown in for good measure. We will see the end of this way of runnin' our affairs, perhaps not in my lifetime, but it will come. My only advice is to ignore the candidates and vote tactically so that 1) FF no chance, and 2) FG no overall power as they will get carried away 1930s berlin style. After that, its hope for the best................regards!

and don't forget developers bit on the side.

Yeah

My sincere apologies for leavin that one out. I was horrified when I realised...regards

• Advertisement

Depressing that we have to choose from a bunch of career politicos, shysters, no hopers, non-entities and the odd loon thrown in for good measure. We will see the end of this way of runnin' our affairs, perhaps not in my lifetime, but it will come. My only advice is to ignore the candidates and vote tactically so that 1) FF no chance, and 2) FG no overall power as they will get carried away 1930s berlin style. After that, its hope for the best................regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Shanks Godfrey is your only man. Vote No.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 opticalens

Sorry, can't give a vote to that man, I prob would have given a vote to Morgan, or Sharkey (if he was drafted in), but can't do it for Adams. Have had a few conversations about this over the last few weeks and am getting a similar answers from a few mates. There.Are.Reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

I'd say our best bet of keeping keeping Gerry Adams out is keeping the other lefts in the race as long as possible. That means voting Labour & Greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

it is easier to start at number 16 on the card for who you dont want and work backwards , there should be a cap on the number of candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GalwayAndrew

I was with some family in Louth last week and they seemed to be thinking the same way. Adams big threat is Labour and Green staying in the race as long as possible, as he'll need their transfers. As Greens are down in the polls, that means a No. 1 for Dearey is the most effective way of stopping him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

whelan1 wrote: »
    it is easier to start at number 16 on the card for who you dont want and work backwards , there should be a cap on the number of candidates
    Hah, true it's sometimes a case of choosing the least worst. But I think sometimes it's better to just but 4 or 5 preferences max.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

Adams will clear up all of the transfers once the Green and left candidates are gone. Best way to keep him out is to keep Green Mark Dreary (No.1) and then Labour candidate (No.2) and independents (No.3 etc.) in as long as possible. It'll be VERY interesting to watch tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Or....ya know....we can just vote for who we think will do the best job in our opinions? <_< Tactical voting is useless unless it's on a large scale, which it won't be today.

• Advertisement

wouldnt worry about transfers sure he will get in on the first count

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement