Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you incapable of putting on weight?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I've something like that. However so did my brother and dad and they both claim a beer belly came out of nowhere around 24/25. So I've only a few more months till I'm a fat piece of ****. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Never have been able to put on weight, but since going on the dole two months ago, i've put on 1.5 stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Ive slowly gained weight since i was 12 stone at 16 to 15 stone at 21, let me tell ya gaining weight is hard, people have no idea how much you have to eat... and skinny people dont eat like a horse, other wise ya wouldnt be skinny! if you eat over maintenance you will gain weight, it would be impossible not too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

I eat crazy amounts of food and usually stay around 10-11 stone.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I've been eight stone pretty much since I was sixteen. I wouldn't say it's impossible for me to gain weight (I gained about six pounds last time I was over in the States, and by my standards I ate absolute rings around myself, I blame Denny's breakfasts :D) but I would say it would be difficult enough. My father had an extremely fast metabolism (hyperthyroidism diagnosed about five years ago) so maybe I've inherited that to an extent. Or maybe I don't eat as much as everyone else, or avoid the worst foods.

I know plenty of skinny people and they frequently struggle to put on weight, but I've also noticed that the majority of them don't eat their three proper squares a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

I can put on weight pretty quickly and lose the same amount of weight pretty quickly, but have never been thin or anywhere near skinny. I'm guessing for a lot of people it is their lifestyle that keeps them at a similar weight (whether fat or skinny), if they try to gain or lose weight, they will revert to their normal weight when they go back to their old life..
    i.e. tie one of these 'I can eat what I like and never gain weight' people to a couch for a month, let them eat what they want and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I can't look at a raisin but it goes straight to my thighs:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I've always been skinny no matter how much I eat/drink or how little exercise I do. The only time in my life where I gained weight was in college when I started skateboarding and cycling over an hour each day. In that case I think it was muscle rather than fat.

It's definately a result of high metabolism and genetics. My mother drinks, smokes and isn't exceptionally active but has never been more than 8 stone, and she's pushing sixty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I eat like a pig and I'm still only 17 stone, It's annoying,my goal is to reach 35 stone and live off the state. Pretty nurse's would come to my house everyday to feed me and wash my smelly pitts and stuff. Being skinny is such a drag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I'm well capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I hope my metabolism changes when I'm 25 so. I need to gain a stone to be in the normal range. Although my mam was the same until she was pregnant, so there's always that to look forward to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

RichieC wrote: »
    Yep, no matter what I eat I never put on an ounce, been 10 and a half stone for 10 years now.

I'm a racehorse! :cool:
    I eat crazy amounts of food and usually stay around 10-11 stone.:D

I would fit into above two and always have . Some days I'll have a biggger appetite and eat more but never, ever, being more than 10 and a half /11 stone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I'm a guy 5'8, and I weigh just over 10 stone. In September 2009, I weighed 7.5 stone, and found it impossible to put on weight.

Then, I started using weight gainers, and along with the nutrients and calories that they give you, it also slowly increases your appetite for your normal food. At one stage, i was taking in 4000-5000 calories a day. It was ridiculous.

I'm using Serious Mass Strawberry flavour now and eating 2500-3000 calories a day, and my weight is slowly increasing now. I feel a lot healthier, and would recommend weight gainer seriously for anyone who wants to gain weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Unfortunately I am very capable of putting on weight:(

Because I'm so small anyway (5'3) my body burns less then average people

At the moment I'm eating 1200 calories a day to lose a bit of xmas pudge (sigh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

I'm totally incapable of weight gain, can eat decent food all day long and not put a pick on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i eat on average 4000 calories a day, don't do a wile lot of exercise and according to my doc and wii fit dangerously underweight.

I have a fry every morning at work, few bags of crisps, few bars of chocolate sandwich and then when i get home i usually have a toastie, more junk and then dinner either a massive pasta meal or spuds. sometimes ice cream and popcorn too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Maybe yous have worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Nope but that doesn't stop family members making stupid comments like oh she can eat what she likes etc when in fact I just don't eat like a horse and usually eat pretty healthy. Last year aside, I've eaten pretty appallingly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

just because you eat junk food doesnt mean you put on weight. it will do other things however like give you diabetes or even depression.

you have to eat good foods. just eat more good foods. more more more more more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i never put on weight
    dunno how, you wont believe the amount of junk food , pizzas,currys, chips, mackers, burger king i eat every week all with a big fry to start off the day
    and i end up losing weight
    so i have to eat loads to stay at my weight 90kg which is actually healthy weight for my height
    i lose about 5-10kg everynow and again then get it back up,
    so i dont do jogging when im going the gym
    just a light job for 5 min to warm up other wise id lose weight and put on no muscle ha
    strange how the body works

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

I seem to gain a few pounds every few years. Was 12st for a while, then 12 1/2, then 13, and now 14st. Dont think I'll get much heavier now. I think if I stopped training I'll just go a bit soft and even lose a bit of weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

One of my brothers is as thin as a rake no matter how much he eats. Seems to be more down to genetics because men in our extended family are quite thin. It could also be that he doesn't tend to eat a lot of rubbish. I suppose it's harder for him because being a man, as it is not so attractive to be quite as thin as he is, where as with a woman would be the envy of other women. For people saying 'just eat more' try telling that to my brother, he can only eat so much!:p

• Site Banned Posts: 41 rain10

Yep, Im 9 stone and eat three times more than all my friends who put on weight as normal, Unfortunatly I binge every day and i have the worst diet possible , I eat chippers, mc donalds and a lot of chocolate every week, so yes i'm lucky for having a very active metabolism but my insides are in ruins! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

didn't gain any weight for years, realised when I went to the gym and got a program that my diet was probably the main problem. Skipped breakfast a lot and would have 2 meals a day most days. now trying to have 3 or 4 healthy filling meals a day with snacks between too. completely avoid junk food now. think I've went from ten and a half stone to eleven and a half in the past 3/4 months which I think is pretty good considering my height!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I know a lad that eats nothing but ****e all day long. Has breakfast rolls, sweets, chicken rolls, chocolate, coke, a big dinner, and pretty much eats something every hour and he NEVER puts on weight. He is skinny as hell. He doesnt exercise ever either.

Then there is me. Im relatively skinny right now, but I have to starve myself to maintain my weight. Tiny breakfast, a small sandwich for lunch, small dinner, then a cup of tea in the evening. There is about 5-6 hours between each of my meals. I eat 1 chocolate bar and I ****ing begin to pile on the weight. I hate it.
    Not being able to put on weight must be a great thing.

Im 10 stone right now, and have gigantic thighs, and a big belly. My waiste is skinny enough. 2 months ago I was 9and a half stone. 1 Year ago I was about 11 stone. 3 years ago I was 16 stone. Im all over the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I know a lad that eats nothing but ****e all day long. Has breakfast rolls, sweets, chicken rolls, chocolate, coke, a big dinner, and pretty much eats something every hour and he NEVER puts on weight. He is skinny as hell. He doesnt exercise ever either.
    That was me too before I turned 25, over one summer I gained 2 stone and have had those since then.
    I'm not fat, I'm stocky.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I am almost incapable of putting on weight but several years ago feeds of guinness and Brie nearly killed me because it was doing damage on the inside that was hardly noticable on the outside .I stopped both .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Dont feel too bad, it will all catch up with him. As soon as he hits 30, he's gonna be a mess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Dont feel too bad, it will all catch up with him. As soon as he hits 30, he's gonna be a mess!

To be honest id rather be in his position than mine. At least then I could enjoy food more while still taking it in moderation, and without having to starve myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I used to believe I was "naturally skinny" until I put on a stone in college. Fecking liars!!!
    Having a "fast" or "slow" metabolism counts for very little; it's only going to vary by 200-500 calories a day between two people of identical build unless you have a condition. A similar difference to what you'd find between men and women or short and tall people.
    I agree with an earlier poster about being fidgety. My husband is slim but eats the same amount as me. He's just slower-moving. It seems to be a massive factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Blast from the past.
    Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I've something like that. However so did my brother and dad and they both claim a beer belly came out of nowhere around 24/25. So I've only a few more months till I'm a fat piece of ****. :mad:

Still no beer belly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-A0iHSdcA

OP your not accurately describing the programme! Some people did gain the weight, mainly the women, it was only 2 of the volunteers one chinese who really didn`t. It was very interesting thou. They stopped once participants gained 15% I think because it was considered to dangerous to go further. One of them got sick if he over ate aswell so couldn`t meet target calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Then there is me. Im relatively skinny right now, but I have to starve myself to maintain my weight. Tiny breakfast, a small sandwich for lunch, small dinner, then a cup of tea in the evening. There is about 5-6 hours between each of my meals. I eat 1 chocolate bar and I ****ing begin to pile on the weight. I hate it.
    Not being able to put on weight must be a great thing.

Im 10 stone right now, and have gigantic thighs, and a big belly. My waiste is skinny enough. 2 months ago I was 9and a half stone. 1 Year ago I was about 11 stone. 3 years ago I was 16 stone. Im all over the shop.

Could be putting the fat on in places you can't see, i.e. around organs without affecting his general appearance much.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

The camera wasn't in the toilet with them when they stuck their fingers down their throat to puke it back up. Skinny feckers are mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If I spend a couple of hours in the gym 3/4 days a week and cycle the other days I can get my weight up to ~80kg otherwise, completely regardless of what I eat, I'm a little under 70kg.

I've lived in Korea where my calorie intake would have been very very low and I've lived with the family in Ireland where I'd be having breakfast and two big dinners a day and it hasn't made more than ~2kg difference.

Advertisement