Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornbeam hedge

Options
  • 23-01-2011 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I'm planting around 50 metres of hornbeam hedge in a few days time. I've got 150 1 to 2 ft bare root plants with a view to planting 3 per metre. I've never planted a hedge before, anyone got any tips? The soil on my site is not great in that the drainage is quite poor but I think/hope it's not too bad around the perimeter where the hedge is going. What size hole should I dig? Should I be putting compost/fertilizer in with the plants and if so what type? Should I stagger the plants or just put them in a straight line? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I'm planting around 50 metres of hornbeam hedge in a few days time. I've got 150 1 to 2 ft bare root plants with a view to planting 3 per metre. I've never planted a hedge before, anyone got any tips? The soil on my site is not great in that the drainage is quite poor but I think/hope it's not too bad around the perimeter where the hedge is going. What size hole should I dig? Should I be putting compost/fertilizer in with the plants and if so what type? Should I stagger the plants or just put them in a straight line? Thanks for any help.

Prepare ground by removing any weed, grass etc. Dig a trench approx 200-300mm deep and 100 mm wide. Backfill with a 50/50mix of compost and soil, add some well rotted manure if available otherwise organic fertiliser (eg Fish Bone & Blood). I'd plant slips in single line, equi spaced @ 3/m and be sure to 'heel' plants well so they are firm in ground. Slips are prone to becoming loose in rough soil and wind will casue root rock and die. After planting, check regularly to ensure plants are secure and area remains free of weed and grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Well I got the hedge in, it took a little longer than I thought, 3 days altogether. The ground was awful for digging with a spade, full of big rocks that really slowed down progress. There wasn't much topsoil there either, only 4 or 5 inches in places. I only managed to dig down around 6 inches in spots but i backfilled with a good topsoil/manure mix and mounded up another few inches so hopefully it will be ok. Looking forward to the spring now and fingers crossed most of them have taken after all that hard work lol. Thanks to Sonnenblum for the help.

Advertisement