Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

odd modded wii question

• 23-01-2011 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

ive never come across anything like this before, so i reckoned this was the right place to ask. ive got an irish wii which i brought back to canada with me this month. now everything works fine, she boots and plays my sonic 4 wad for example, but curiousity is that it wont display video for my other wads (namely virtual console)

i mention that the wii is modded in case this is a common thing (though i found nothing online) or there's a wad i can get to fix the problem

i have sound, albeit slower than normal sound, which has made methink that it could possibly be the power? its a 220v wii, running on the 110v outlets here... is it possible that there's simply not enough power to run certain wads depending on how they're using the insides of the console?

i was planning on buying a converter initially, but the fact that sonic and disc based games worked fine made me think that everything was gravy, alas tisnt

ideas/suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd imagine its a output display setting. Can you change the Wii's output to NTSC format?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

it shouldnt matter, im using component not rf. ntsc/pal doesnt come into it for signals above SD i believe

wouldnt that mean too that the entire wii wouldnt display? i can see the menus, i can play games from disc and i can play sonic 4 which is a downloaded game. i just cant play virtual console games

also, how would that affect the sound and make it play back slower?

Helix wrote: »
    it shouldnt matter, im using component not rf. ntsc/pal doesnt come into it for signals above SD i believe

I'm not certain, I've only used it on EU tv's. It just sounded like a refresh rate issue initially.
    Helix wrote:
    wouldnt that mean too that the entire wii wouldnt display?

Not necessarily.
    Helix wrote:
    i can see the menus, i can play games from disc and i can play sonic 4 which is a downloaded game. i just cant play virtual console games

also, how would that affect the sound and make it play back slower?

Perhaps the virtual console stuff isn't compatible with certain hardware/software combinations, I've no idea tbh. First time I've heard of this problem. Can you try the standard rgb lead?

unfortunately no, i didnt bring it with me, which was particularly stupid of me

would changing the wii's region from european to american help does you think?

• Advertisement

would changing the wii's region from european to american help does you think?

If it were a disc based problem, you can force the console into certain regions etc. But seeing as this is a wad file issue, I'm not sure if there's a way of running those in a forced region mode. You'd prob need to change the region of the whole console which I know absoloutely zilch about, it could mess up your Wii shop etc. I really can't advise you any further on this one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Install priiloader and force ntsc out
    It's a tv issue I reckon

iPwnage wrote: »

ill give that a shot and report back

are we definitely ruling out a voltage issue then?

iPwnage wrote: »
    It's a tv issue I reckon
    ill give that a shot and report back

are we definitely ruling out a voltage issue then?

I have to say, my gut instinct is telling me tv/refresh rate/region problem rather than anything voltage related.

aye thats what my gut is saying too, but the slower audio playback is throwing me - that's not something that should happen with a refresh rate or region problem surely?

gonna give priiloader a shot in about an hour anyway, if that sorts it out then happy days. dont really want to be spending unnecessary money on a new power brick if i dont need to

• Advertisement

priiloader installed, no dice

wasnt actually an option for forcing ntsc there at all

or am i missing something? im on 4.1e

update on this... out of curiousity i plugged the green component cable into the yellow composite input and switched to the comp channel on my tv which is giving me a black & white picture of virtual console games running perfectly fine. so it's a case that the wii is spitting out my vc games in 576i, which i need to change

i cant figure out a way to force 480i though

suggestions welcome as always

doesnt look like it s asystem thing, ALL pal VC games run at only 576i

gonna get an ntsc game and see if that makes any difference, i believe they natively run at 480p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Wii Settings -> Video -> TV Type -> select the lowest resolution 50hz one.

Try that, then try the 2nd one (480i 60hz?), then try the 480p one. See if any of them work for ya.

Also, did they work for you back in Ireland?

yeh they worked in ireland. it's a fairly common problem for older VC games apparently. they only push out at 576i, and cant be made run in 480, so they dont like being run over component. they work in composite

Advertisement