Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't pay rent and want to move out

Options
  • 23-01-2011 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hello, we rent a house and couldnt pay the rent this month january.
    want to move out now at the end of this month because can live at a friends for a short time for free to stand up again.
    we paid deposit at the begin.
    Do i have to pay the rent for january but i cant, so the landlord just keep the deposit? thats it? or what could happen?
    thanks for you advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Have you discussed this with your landlord? You will probably need to give him notice? How long have you lived there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

A lot of people do indeed use up their deposit as their final months rent, but if you have signed a lease it is not legal nor does it release you from the length of your lease. I would imagine most landlords would be unlikely to persue you for the terms of the lease.

As above though, the absolute best method is talk to your landlord and advise of your plans. And, of course, ensure that the property is in the best shape before you leave so that you would indeed have recieved your deposit back, but also to minimise the risk of the landlord persuing you to fulfil th eterms of the lease.

If you had no lease, you are pretty much in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Did you sign a lease? If so, read it in detail- if you signed, say, a one year lease which does not expire until June, you are liable for the rent until then, UNLESS you can find another tenant to take over from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

You do need to give him notice, if you signed a lease the notice period is in it, if you didn't sign a lease if you pay your rent by the month you have to give him a months notice.

You need to talk to your landlord, I'm sure he/she won't be unreasonable. Don't forget you may go to live with friends, but that doesn't mean you won't need a landlords reference for any future rentals. If you have signed a lease he is entitled to pursue the rent to the expiration of the lease, it's unlikely he will but it's his right to do so.

So basically the best and most honourable thing you can do is to speak to the landlord, you don't want to p1ss him off to the extent that he gets legal on ya!

Advertisement