Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot "sexist" water .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sky sports openly advertise their women as being hot, so why is anyone surprised their sexist, they had georgie thompson in a leather catsuit thing for **** sake in one of their ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

efb wrote: »
    Why do some people think it's ok to use the word 'rape' in such a casual context, it's a disgusting word describing a filthy act, and those that use it (usually for shock value) are pretty scummy in my book and need to buy a thesaurus

Dont ever play online video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

niallo27 wrote: »
    Sky sports openly advertise their women as being hot, so why is anyone surprised their sexist, they had georgie thompson in a leather catsuit thing for **** sake in one of their ads

There's a difference between recognising someone is physically attractive and sexual harrassment.

You sound like one of these guys who would hear about a rape and say "ah sure she was asking for it dressing like that!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hope whoever leaked them is caught and sacked. Thats a far more serious issue than the rubbish this thread is about.

All this just sickens me. I'm not a sexist and never have been but its the double standards that sicken me. Women can get away with vile comments but when its done to them its sexist and a big deal.

Just thinking about the female linesperson for one moment. Rio Ferdinand ran the length of the pitch last year to confront a linesman and roar in his face about a decision. If he had done that to a woman linesperson then he would have been accused of being a sexist and probably have lost the England captaincy which he had at the time.

I just think people should be let live their lives as long as they are not harming others. And I don't see their comments as harming anyone. The video with Andy Gray making a gesture is harmless too.

From my understanding none of this stuff was done while they were officially on air. Whoever leaked this stuff has to be caught and fired.

They are harming people with their moronic and sexist comments and gestures.

It has knuckle staggers thinking treating women like sexual objects there only for their gratification.

I am genuinely shocked some people think these are something to be laughed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just thinking about the female linesperson for one moment. Rio Ferdinand ran the length of the pitch last year to confront a linesman and roar in his face about a decision. If he had done that to a woman linesperson then he would have been accused of being a sexist and probably have lost the England captaincy which he had at the time.

Well if it meant Ferdinand not doing it, I'm all for it.

That's sexist nonsense, women aren't able for a mans game type stuff. Bit more nuanced and articulate than Grey but sexist all the same. People looking for any reason not to have woman in the game.

The Gray interview with the sky journalist shows he either believes it or spins this stuff out for bravado, controversial for the sake of it. He's like Sky's version of a troll, WUM.

The sexism against men point is irrelevant. Sexism against both sexes will always exist. That isn't a reason to say well fine then, let's accept this particular type of discrimination because there is some in another area.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    According to Sky News she was very unhappy with his comments/gesture. You think it should be okay for men in any workplace to behave like that towards any woman they please?

Your contrarian act is getting really tiresome.
    Explain to me what harm he has done by making that gesture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Why would want major sports TV company want to appoint a guy who has just recently lost his job at possibly the bgigest sports TV company in the UK, if not in the world? He was caught out using sexist comments and sexist attitudes. Thats all there is to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

It's kinda funny listening to Keyes using the term "smash it" as a reference for sex.

I'd say Keyes could no more smash his way through a blow up doll, never mind a real life woman.

A little worm of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Fizman wrote: »
    From thesaurus.com:

Lots of interpretations of the word there for you.

Yes so use one. The other use of rape is so henous the word shouldn't be used as a cheap attempt at a double entendre

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    There's a difference between recognising someone is physically attractive and sexual harrassment.

You sound like one of these guys who would hear about a rape and say "ah sure she was asking for it dressing like that!"

So your comparing what keys said with rape, ****en hell ok.
    You think this ad is advertising the girls football expertise

He belittled her in the work place when she is obviously an equal. He possibly caused mental anguish too. If he did it that one time, what's to say he wasn't harrassing her all of the time, he's certainly shown he's that type of character.

A person shouldn't have to go to work and put up with crap like that just because they happen to be a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

:pac: If something was white EagleEye would claim it was black. Actually he'd claim it was n*gger and that saying that isn't offensive and people should live be let live their lifes once they don't harm others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He is clearly indicating will you touch my cock to Jackson? It's blatantly obvious. He's hardly just asking her to tuck in his shirt is he? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

How about making Charlotte Jackson extremely uncomfortable in her job when a 55 year old colleague starts making gestures to her. Should she have to deal with that simply because she's a woman?

No.

So your comparing what keys said with rape, ****en hell ok.
    You think this ad is advertising the girls football expertise

No, but it's also not advertising Jim White;s ability as a secret agent of a skydiver :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

SantryRed wrote: »
    This is definitely a hatchet job from someone inside Sky. All of the clips up on youtube have been saved from the original. The original person puts it up for roughly 20 mins and then takes it down. By then, many people have saved it and uploaded it themselves. The exact same thing happened with the Charlotte Jackson video.

Do tell?

Ah that video, ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Andy Gray: I've been stitched up

Andy Gray last night called in his lawyers and told pals he is considering suing Sky after being ousted from the job he loves.

The presenter paid the price for sexist remarks aimed at assistant referee Sian Massey as well as comments he made about co-star Charlotte Jackson.

But the furious 55-year-old claimed he had been stitched up by bosses who used the furore surrounding his remarks to oust him and pave the way for the *promotion of younger presenters.

And it was said he had been prevented from apologising to Massey, even though co-host Richard Keys had been allowed to say sorry for similar remarks he made during the same show.

Some sources also fear his axing after 18 years as the face of Sky football could be linked to his legal dispute with the News of the World over the alleged phone tapping scandal, as both Sky and the paper are owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Gray was last night talking to lawyers and is thinking about legal action after being booted off his £1.7million-a-year post.

One source said: “He feels like he has been stitched up and people working against him at Sky have set all this up to get him the boot. He loved doing that job and didn’t get much of a chance to get his point of view across.

“But it feels like a changing of the guard at Sky and this will give bosses a chance to promote Ben Shephard and Jamie Redknapp quicker.”

Gray had been given a final warning after being recorded off-air saying Massey would “not know the offside rule” when he heard she would be officiating at the Wolves versus Liverpool Premier League clash at the weekend.

But he was fired when new footage was revealed of him telling 33-year-old Jackson in December to “tuck him in” as he gestured towards his crotch with a microphone. He laughed at his sexist remark as she ignored him.

Gray’s fiancée Rachel Lewis claimed last night he had wanted to say sorry himself but had been advised not to.

Speaking at their home, she said: “He’s wanted to apologise for the last few days, desperately. He was told not to by Sky.”

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis said: “Gray’s contract has been terminated for unacceptable *behaviour.

“After issuing a warning, we have no hesitation in taking this action after becoming aware of new information.”

But experts say Gray could have a case for unfair dismissal as his comments were made off-air.

Employment lawyer Andrew Haywood from legal firm Dawsons LLP said: “Should he pursue a claim, the burden will be on Sky to show it dismissed him fairly.”

The star’s lawyers Schillings said: “We have been instructed by Andy Gray in relation to the termination of his contract by BSkyB. It would be inappropriate for our client to comment at this time.”

Gray and Keys were dropped from Monday night’s coverage of Bolton versus Chelsea after their remarks.

Sky Sports reporter Andy Burton, who was chatting to Gray when the comments were made, was also disciplined.

He has been taken off tonight’s Carling Cup semi-final clash between Birmingham and West Ham. It was not know when, or if, he and Keys will be back on screen.

Gray’s sacking shocked football.

His friend and Plymouth Argyle manager Peter Reid claimed the sacking was “unfair”.

BBC Radio 5 Live’s Victoria Derbyshire added: “Worked with Andy during 2002 World Cup, he was charming, respectful, hard working and a good laugh.”

But some Sky insiders claim Gray has made enemies inside the station. One said he and Keys “walked around like they owned Sky Sports”.

Former presenter Sam Matterface said: “When I first started Andy Gray had a bit of an aura of being untouchable.

“But I’m not really surprised another incident has come to light, if I am honest. I had heard stories, rumours and anecdotes about him and his behaviour. I had the feeling he wasn’t popular.”

Apprentice star Lord Sugar added: “Sky have shut the door to sexism, shame they didn’t throw away the Keys.”

Stressed Massey pulled out of last night’s match between Crewe and Bradford.

Dad Stephen said: “I’ve been fielding calls all day. People are asking if she is OK.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Richard-Keys-Andy-Gray-sexism-row-Furious-Andy-Gray-goes-to-lawyers-over-dismissal-and-claims-he-has-been-stitched-up-article682139.html

Looks like this story will run and run for a while yet.

He belittled her in the work place when she is obviously an equal. He possibly caused mental anguish too. If he did it that one time, what's to say he wasn't harrassing her all of the time, he's certainly shown he's that type of character.

A person shouldn't have to go to work and put up with crap like that just because they happen to be a woman.

I haven't read through the thread, so maybe this has been answered. Perhaps it was just banter that went on between the two on a regular basis and the camera just makes it more sinister than it actually was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

There's been another Richard Keyes video.

Degag wrote: »
    I haven't read through the thread, so maybe this has been answered. Perhaps it was just banter that went on between the two on a regular basis and the camera just makes it more sinister than it actually was?

Banter would imply that she was involved in it too, she clearly ignores him which suggests that its not 'banter' at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jesus.

Who'd have thought Richard Keys watched Jersey Shore?

Look how uncomfortable the others are when he says "smash it". It's like watching a movie with your parents and then a softcore sex scene comes on.

Aaaawk-ward.

No, but it's also not advertising Jim White;s ability as a secret agent of a skydiver :rolleyes:

Right so you dont think sky sexed up this ad, by putting their presenters which are all ****en gorgeous may i say in leather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

But it feels like a changing of the guard at Sky and this will give bosses a chance to promote Ben Shephard and Jamie Redknapp quicker.

Oh. God. No. :eek:

There is something fishy about this for sure. I mean, that video with Gray and the reporter didn't go out live did it? So how did it get released to the media? You'd imagine that if Sky wanted to protect Gray, they wouldn't have done so

• Advertisement

Right so you dont think sky sexed up this ad, by putting their presenters which are all ****en gorgeous may i say in leather

The fact that the male presenters were "sexed-up" too in tuxedos and skydiving and free running......... it's obviously a play on secret agent movies, where women look sexy and the guys look sexy too and do cool stuff like sky diving.

It's a very simple concept you know.

Is there any legs to the possibility that Sky were trying to make the girls look like Charlie's Angels (ie "kick-ass" girls) and the lads as suave agents (ie "kick-ass" guys). None of the girls are in bikinis or posing suggestively. Leather outfits yeah, but its not as if they're in bikinis etc.

Banter would imply that she was involved in it too, she clearly ignores him which suggests that its not 'banter' at all.
    Ah i know, it looks like she's not impressed - and she probably isn't- but i'm just saying that it's easy to come to the worst conclusion from just one video.

Is there any legs to the possibility that Sky were trying to make the girls look like Charlie's Angels (ie "kick-ass" girls) and the lads as suave agents (ie "kick-ass" guys). None of the girls are in bikinis or posing suggestively. Leather outfits yeah, but its not as if they're in bikinis etc.

This is, of course, what the case is.

But some people think because Georgie Thompson was dressed as a Charlies Angel, that Andy Gray is allowed to ask Charlotte Jackson to touch his genetalia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

+1.

And also, so fcuking what if it was to be considered a sexed up ad. Still doesn't give Andy Gray the right to make gestures about his dick to Jackson.

• Advertisement

Ah i know, it looks like she's not impressed - and she probably isn't- but i'm just saying that it's easy to come to the worst conclusion from just one video.

True and in fairness I've bantered a bit with my lady friends (not as bad as that now) and once or twice they probably look away in disgust from me, and in isolation it can look bad, but you just get the feeling that with all the clips piling up he's just stuck with the wrong attitude.

SantryRed wrote: »
    +1.

And also, so fcuking what if it was to be considered a sexed up ad. Still doesn't give Andy Gray the right to make gestures about his dick to Jackson.

Im not saying its right, but im just saying sky sports are going down the line that sex sells when it comes to football, and they are probably right it does work.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Jesus.

Who'd have thought Richard Keys watched Jersey Shore?

Look how uncomfortable the others are when he says "smash it". It's like watching a movie with your parents and then a softcore sex scene comes on.

Aaaawk-ward.

Looks like they're just having the craic myself. Gullit doesn't even look up from his phone.

Im not saying its right, but im just saying sky sports are going down the line that sex sells when it comes to football, and they are probably right it does work.

Sex sells everyting.

But there's a difference between selling sex and sexual harrassment in the workplace! The guys were dressed up in suits and doing cool stunts in this ad too.

True and in fairness I've bantered a bit with my lady friends (not as bad as that now) and once or twice they probably look away in disgust from me, and in isolation it can look bad, but you just get the feeling that with all the clips piling up he's just stuck with the wrong attitude.

Well if someone had a camera on all our breaks at my work, you could probably find a load of clips to make us look like the biggest pervs ever, we all have said **** like this in banter with lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Looks like they're just having the craic myself. Gullit doesn't even look up from his phone.

I think he's embarrassed. I would be too if Richard Keyes started using the term "smash it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LOL at Grey using the Countryfile defense.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Sex sells everyting.

But there's a difference between selling sex and sexual harrassment in the workplace! The guys were dressed up in suits and doing cool stunts in this ad too.

Do you think if they had a load of big birds working at sky they would have done this ad

Well if someone had a camera on all our breaks at my work, you could probably find a load of clips to make us look like the biggest pervs ever, we all have said **** like this in banter with lads

Yeah but neither me or you would be stupid enough to say something like that if a camera was pointed at our face 5 yards away. None of these videos are covert videos, they're all shot from Sky cameras.

If I was in work and had something to say akin to something as offensive as they said, I'd make sure that I said it where I could never be quoted.

I don't sit around in the work canteen saying things like that because other people can hear me, he's hardly been discreet about it now has he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Dont know how Andy Gray can claim he was stitched up. No-one made him say or act in the manner that he did. The same goes for Keys.

• Advertisement

Do you think if they had a load of big birds working at sky they would have done this ad

Who cares? You're talking rubbish!

No Sky Sports ads make it ok for Andy Gray to ask Charlotte Jackson to touch his dick, don't you get it? Is this not clear to you?

Yeah but neither me or you would be stupid enough to say something like that if a camera was pointed at our face 5 yards away. None of these videos are covert videos, they're all shot from Sky cameras.

If I was in work and had something to say akin to something as offensive as they said, I'd make sure that I said it where I could never be quoted.

Yes your probably right there alright, they probably just so used to being behind the camera and forgot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

God that latest Keyes vid is funny. He really comes across as a kind of Alan Partridge/David Brent fool. Trying to hang out with the boys.

Souness seems to be showing some distain towards Keyes. haha

Who cares? You're talking rubbish!

No Sky Sports ads make it ok for Andy Gray to ask Charlotte Jackson to touch his dick, don't you get it? Is this not clear to you?

I never said it did, you make it sound like he was waving his dick in her face, it was wrong of course but doesnt deserve this much press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Agreeing to do an ad dressed in leather and having one of your colleagues make inappropriate and unprofessional sexual comments is not the same thing - you do realise that?

I'm not sure why you seem to equate attractive female presenters with Sky being okay with their presenters being offensive and disrespectful to their colleagues - nor why your lad chat at work means Sky would or should give creepy old guys carte blanche to be lewd while in a working environment that sound engineers, camera operators, editors, producers, etc all have to listen to... :confused:

I never said it did, you make it sound like he was waving his dick in her face, it was wrong of course but doesnt deserve this much press

I dont have to make it sound like anything, everyone has seen the video.

You are suggesting it is ok for Andy Gray to sexually harrass a women at work, because some of her collegues did an impression of Charlies Angels.

Would ya cop on and come into the 21st Century!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I'm glad the microphones were off when I was **** in the bog this morning.

I got it tucked back in eventually.

I dont have to make it sound like anything, everyone has seen the video.

You are suggesting it is ok for Andy Gray to sexually harrass a women at work, because some of her collegues did an impression of Charlies Angels.

Would ya cop on and come into the 21st Century!

Can you read man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Keys is a far bigger douchebag than Andy Gray and I'm really really hoping he goes too*.

Apart from the videos seen this week, he's also slagged off Walcott while thinking he wasn't being recorded. He and Redknapp also laughed (on air) at Nasri on his debut against West Brom when he was clearly praying before the second half kicked off. I'm as far as you can get from being religious but that was just incredibly ignorant.

* As long as that doesn't mean Redknapp suddenly presenting every match. But then again, he's there anyway so one less prat would probably be welcome.

• Advertisement

Can you read man

So now you finally agree that it was wrong. hurrah!!

And about the press, X-Factor, Jade Goody, Posh Spice, Big Brother........... none of these deserve press. But this is how the press works.

if you don't wanna be humiliated in the press, don't be humiliating your female collegues at work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement