Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot "sexist" water .

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Originally Posted by eagle eye
    Darky isn't racist in my book.

You must be reading the wrong books then.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/darky
    Noun 1. darky - (ethnic slur) offensive term for Black people
    darkey, darkie
    derogation, disparagement, depreciation - a communication that belittles somebody or something
    ethnic slur - a slur on someone's race or language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Haven't had time to read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said.

Never really liked Andy Gray personally.

The person I feel sorry for the most is Sian Massey. Because of Gray and his buddies she's now had to put her professional refereeing career on hold. Not fair in my books, I hope for her sake it all comes to a close soon so she can get back on with her job.

I say welldone to her, not easy taking a step into such a male dominated world, especially when you have idiots such as Gray and Keys just waiting to pass comments and have a laugh about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

K-9 wrote: »

Cracking article. Well investigated, reported and written. Also it speaks volumes they were able to speak to 3 people so quickly about this. i.e all three were more than happy to give their say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

lordgoat wrote: »
    Cracking article. Well investigated, reported and written. Also it speaks volumes they were able to speak to 3 people so quickly about this. i.e all three were more than happy to give their say.

Hints that it just isn't sexism behind all of it either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

TRIAL BY INTERNETZ

First off I dont like Andy Gray, I think he's pompous, arrogant and yes probably sexist. But getting sacked for this whole episode is beyond stupid. I just watched the clip with Charlotte Jackson, he laughed she laughed and no complaint was made. Now if she didnt find it offensive and it was completely directed at her, what right could there be to react to it. Professional capacity my a**e.

I make sexist jokes in work but the people in there know me, the know my sense of humour and they are not offended, instead I get punched in the arm back or head. But if it was uploaded on the internetz I would probably get the sack - the world is gone made PC brigade to your stations!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sagat06 wrote: »
    TRIAL BY INTERNETZ

First off I dont like Andy Gray, I think he's pompous, arrogant and yes probably sexist. But getting sacked for this whole episode is beyond stupid. I just watched the clip with Charlotte Jackson, he laughed she laughed and no complaint was made. Now if she didnt find it offensive and it was completely directed at her, what right could there be to react to it. Professional capacity my a**e.

I make sexist jokes in work but the people in there know me, the know my sense of humour and they are not offended, instead I get punched in the arm back or head. But if it was uploaded on the internetz I would probably get the sack - the world is gone made PC brigade to your stations!!

Sky news reported that she wasn't happy with the incident although they didn't mention if she made a complaint. I think they were dead right to sack him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

PC brigade my fùcking hole.

That article from the Guardian makes it easy to understand what's going on. Gray is a sexist bully and has been pissing people off at Sky for years. Somebody did the sensible thing and got together a body of evidence to make sure that he was sacked. Good ridance.

@ Eagle Eye: call a person with dark skin darkie and they will get offended 99 times out of 100. That makes it an offensive term. Why on earth do you need to refer to people by their skin colour anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The pc brigade sometimes go mad but it's an easy label to throw out like Keyes "the world's gone mad" claim. No it hasn't, it has just moved on from 1992:

Sky right to red-card Gray « Ian James Parsley

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

I think its correct that he was fired.

You could see that the Woman preester in the studio that he asked to help him with his trouser issue was not impressed and in my opinion looked like she had been subjected to it before.

From reading various articles it seems that the two of them are not liked by basically anyone on the crew.

Cant see keys staying either.

Excellent article in the Guardian today with contributions from various Sky Sports female presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm closing this for a number of reasons.

Firstly while it's related to Soccer in that the people in question are involved in the media side of the game, the reality is that this is a bigger issue/discussion than can be contained in the Soccer forum.

Secondly, and leading on from the above, we have strayed far away from content relating to Soccer and into the rights and wrongs of emploment law, banter in the workplace, private v public conversations, definitions of offensive terms and the equality of race, gender and double standards. There have even been clips of loose women for the love of god!

Thirdly, and people should remember this, we have only seen what Sky want us to see. The perspective and context that they want to release to the public. We don't know the thinking behind any of the players, we don't know the history, we don't know whether this was something that was reciprocated or encouraged. In short, we don't have enough information to make any kind of a reasonable judgement call as to the rights and wrongs.

A subject that is this broad is better suited to Humanities for high brow conversation, and After Hours for sexist jokes and funny videos. It has gone past the remit of the soccer forum at this point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement