Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot "sexist" water .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can't help but feel that Joey Barton will somehow get banned for this. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

SlickRic wrote: »
    a laugh?

sorry, i'm all for a laugh, but when it's a sexist overtone at the expense of a woman who actually got the decision absolutely spot on, it's absolutely pathetic.

if she came on air and called Gray a bit of a simple Scotsman for analysing it incorrectly, what do you think he'd expect to happen to her?

they should get the can for this, but they won't.

I'd love her to come out with a comment along the lines of, I think Andy and richard should stick to their little studio toys and leave the real business of decision to the porfessionals. ( a little low level baiting ftw)
    Personally I wouldn't like to see them sacked but I would like to see them issue a grovelling apology on the TV and acknowledge that those women are even tougher and more capable cos they've had a much more difficult time getting to the same position in their respective careers as their male counterparts............

Girl in wanting boy in grovelling apology shocker. Nice. Oh here's a smiley for you, in case you think i'm being serious and get all offended. :rolleyes:;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

SantryRed wrote: »
    Did anyone even care to realise this story originated from the Daily Mail?

Yeah but you can listen to the tape so they are hardly making it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't see the big deal over something that was meant as a private conversation. They didn't break any laws or anything.

It's still a job and sexism in the work place is not acceptable. It's unprofessional and they should be called on it but I highly doubt they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

are you serious?

you must be playing devil's advocate for kicks or something?

are you looking to defend Gray on that as well?

because if you are, i'm glad we're not mates.
    It was the wording. He said 'stole' like his best mate owned her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'd love her to come out with a comment along the lines of, I think Andy and richard should stick to their little studio toys and leave the real business of decision to the porfessionals. ( a little low level baiting ftw)

Girl in wanting boy in grovelling apology shocker. Nice. Oh here's a smiley for you, in case you think i'm being serious and get all offended. :rolleyes:;);)

Don't worry bout offending me, takes more than a jibe at being a female in fairness..........well used to it from certain males :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Women are useless at everything in fairness. The lads had a point.
    :D;):rolleyes::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It was the wording. He said 'stole' like his best mate owned her.

i think you know you're being slightly pedantic here.

you know what he meant.

but if you want a pedantic war, if they were married, they own each other, so yes, Gray stole her.

all of this doesn't take away from the fact he's a man in the public eye, synonymous with Sky, and so should conduct himself properly. it's part of the job, because everything he says and does reflects on Sky.

Devil08 wrote: »
    Women are useless at everything in fairness. The lads had a point.
    :D;):rolleyes::p

Good man, your a quick learner...............:pac:
    Now, that wasn't so difficult was it????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't see the big deal over something that was meant as a private conversation. They didn't break any laws or anything.

The conversation took place when they were in a professional capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Devil08 wrote: »
    Can you imagine if all refs and linespeople were female??

Assisstant referees surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Any chance of moving these endless wanky posts about TV pundits to the Celebs and Showbiz forum?

Andy Gray was spotted out walking this morning...

2193163.jpg

after people's wives again apparently...

CiaranC wrote: »
    Any chance of moving these endless wanky posts about TV pundits to the Celebs and Showbiz forum?

Just a bit of banter about a subject which should actually be discussed seriously. There are all types of discrimination in the workplace and as such this falls under that category.....
    Why should it fall under showbiz??:confused:

IMO, it is a soccer issue

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Was it at gunpoint?

Or was it a case of them fancying each other?

I am just adding it to the mix so we can get a better idea of what he is like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

dougal wrote: »
    Yeah but you can listen to the tape so they are hardly making it up.

Link for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

AndyGray wrote:
    Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule.

Ironically enough there are few commentators with less of a grasp of the offside rule (and the various other rules of the game) than Andy Gray.
    He has his own ideas on what they should be, which usually corresponds to the rules as they stood around about 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

a laugh?

sorry, i'm all for a laugh, but when it's a sexist overtone at the expense of a woman who actually got the decision absolutely spot on, it's absolutely pathetic.

if she came on air and called Gray a bit of a simple Scotsman for analysing it incorrectly, what do you think he'd expect to happen to her?

they should get the can for this, but they won't.
    As much as I hate the feckers they shouldnt lose their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    As much as I hate the feckers they shouldnt lose their jobs.

I agree. It'll be like those lads who sent around the emails of all those fit birds in work. Slap on the wrist, maybe a fine or a few weeks off.

It was stupid but not the end of the world. They all have lovely bottoms etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I see the bible bashing PC brigade are out in force today, must have gone to mass this morning eh.

If they made these comments down the local you'd probably laugh, do it on telly and they are all sorts of bad people. :rolleyes:

Storm in a tea cup IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Savman wrote: »
    I see the bible bashing PC brigade are out in force today, must have gone to mass this morning eh.

If they made these comments down the local you'd probably laugh, do it on telly and they are all sorts of bad people. :rolleyes:

Storm in a tea cup IMHO.

Also, people are letting their hate/dislike for Gray and Keys give them an excuse to say "burn them at the stake!"

I seriously doubt that if it was your respective team's captain sitting on a chat show saying "female assistant referees should be banned and are only fit to make the tea" you'd be calling for THEM to be sacked from their job too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i am letting my hate for Keys and Gray take over, so i don't really think they should be sacked.

but what they said was a disgrace, and they should be reprimanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ah loosing their jobs is a bit much .

I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them squirm on screen whilst giving an apology .

Just the peg or two Gray needs to be brought down .

I heard Jamie was in the corner oblivious to all this looking confused at a Biology book and repeating ..
    "lines man has willy"
    "lines man without willy "

"Na let me try that again ...
    "lines man has willy "

i am letting my hate for Keys and Gray take over, so i don't really think they should be sacked.

but what they said was a disgrace, and they should be reprimanded.

This. It shouldn't be ignored.

Storm in a tea cup IMHO.

Do you know the difference between saying something in your workplace and in the pub?

Fairly simple concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I'd imagine someting was said to the rest of them at Sky anyway. Kammy and Ben were creaming themselves over her on goals on Sunday. Made a real point of saying how she got the decision spot on etc

In fairness to her, it was a great call. And she had a good game. What Keyes and Gray said was out of order and with a bit of luck they'll made to apologise or fined. Be harsh if they were to get sacked. But fellas have gone for less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

She flagged for offside in match yesterday, and no one could understand why, the commentators said nothing lol, just silence,
    anyone remember that?
    But she got the key decisions correct !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Also, people are letting their hate/dislike for Gray and Keys give them an excuse to say "burn them at the stake!"

I seriously doubt that if it was your respective team's captain sitting on a chat show saying "female assistant referees should be banned and are only fit to make the tea" you'd be calling for THEM to be sacked from their job too?

This isnt the point, the fact that if it had been a racist remark they would have been sacked what people are saying is why is one thing acceptable while the other isnt?.

either way i couldnt give a rats arse what they said it just sums up to people what they already know that richard keys and andy gray are twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

lordgoat wrote: »
    Do you know the difference between saying something in your workplace and in the pub?

Fairly simple concept.
    I am aware, thanks, but these people are paid for their views on the game and their on screen personalities. Regardless of whether you hate them or not, Sky's presenters have been pushing the boundaries for some time now if you care to watch Soccer AM or Soccer Saturday, it's usually more about them ripping the p*ss than it is about the game.

Good craic tho, and we all lap it up.

I am aware, thanks, but these people are paid for their views on the game and their on screen personalities. Regardless of whether you hate them or not, Sky's presenters have been pushing the boundaries for some time now if you care to watch Soccer AM or Soccer Saturday, it's usually more about them ripping the p*ss than it is about the game.

sky have never pushed the boundaries.....

• Advertisement

Exactly they are paid for their views on the game, nothing else. If it was a giant chicken on one line and Elvis on the other it shouldn't be an issue.

These comments were made before she'd even made one call and she was judged to be inadequate by two people who command a massive audience for being a woman. I'm all for a bit of a laugh and soccer am, while not being funny in the slightest is set up to be a take the piss lads show, where tongue in cheek is the name of the game. You can't really compare the two imo. I'd actually be more ok with it if either of them had been semi-taking the piss.

Punishment wise i'm not sure, thing is if it was racist they would def get the boot, as it stands i expect an apology and maybe a fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One would assume that Sian Massey is one of the very best female referees working in the game for her to be assigned a Premiership match. As such, it shouldn't have been any surprise that she handled her job with a high degree of competence yesterday.

Keys and Gray being sexist is hardly the biggest surprise. Why merely be xenephobic? Much better to have a more rounded hate package going for you. :)

I don't really give a **** whether it's a man or female refereeing - seriously. It's not a physical position, so there is no need for it to be a man. If a female ref is more competent than Howard Webb (or whoever), the sport would benefit from her getting games ahead of him.

major bill wrote: »
    This isnt the point, the fact that if it had been a racist remark they would have been sacked what people are saying is why is one thing acceptable while the other isnt?.

either way i couldnt give a rats arse what they said it just sums up to people what they already know that richard keys and andy gray are twats.

Well both are discrimination, but don't pretend like there are not different levels of discrimination.

Now i'm not saying racism and sexism aren't on different levels, but i'm saying that if you compare what they said to what Ron Atkinson said, there's no comparison.

But both are discrimination.

My point stands. People are looking for them to be sacked, but if it was Stevie G on TV wearing a Liverpool tracksuit while YNWA played in the background and he said something sexist, Liverpool supporters wouldn't be looking for sacking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The circumstances were similar to Ron Atkinson when he got the boot from ITV.

However the content was much less serious - they deserve some sort of punishment though

sky have never pushed the boundaries.....

I'm sorry but that's a complete lie. Sky have definitely pushed boundries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

greendom wrote: »
    The circumstances were similar to Ron Atkinson when he got the boot from ITV.

However the content was much less serious - they deserve some sort of punishment though

This was the point I was making. Just because it was discrimination, does not mean they should autoatically get sacked because others did for making discriminatory remarks.

But they DO need to do something. Maybe a grovelling apology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Keys comes across terribly in that.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but that's a complete lie. Sky have definitely pushed boundries!

how have they pushed it?? apart from the odd joke and lets slag phil thompson which id hardly call pushing the boundarys what have they done??

how have they pushed it?? apart from the odd joke and lets slag phil thompson which id hardly call pushing the boundarys what have they done??
    Edit: Misread the original post, excuse me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

"The game's gone mad." Has to be an apology or something, that wasn't jokey back-slapping stuff.

Well both are discrimination, but don't pretend like there are not different levels of discrimination.

Now i'm not saying racism and sexism aren't on different levels, but i'm saying that if you compare what they said to what Ron Atkinson said, there's no comparison.

My point stands. People are looking for them to be sacked, but if it was Stevie G on TV wearing a Liverpool tracksuit while YNWA played in the background and he said something sexist, Liverpool supporters wouldn't be looking for sacking!

both are no differant imo its the media that have a gone and made one more serious....what ron atkinson said was no differant to what keys and gray said if anything keys and gray was worse as they judged her on her sex before she even had a chance to prove otherwise atkinson said something in the heat of the moment after seen an english team throw away a game something im sure he regretted. people dont see it on the same scale because the PC brigade decided that racism was the ultimate no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Well, if racism and sexism are the same and you don't think this is serious, your attitude is worrying.

Imagine it was a black linesman, and grey said "they don't understand the offside rule because he's black" And keys said "we had a black doing this before. The games gone mad"

greendom wrote: »
    Yes it's true they are always trying new things - such as when they had player cam - 15 minutes tracking a particular player.

Sky as an organisation is pretty innovative with technology etc too. Just seems that their presenters are neanderthals

Yeah, Sky are innovative but i didn't realise they were talking about the presenters.

It's pretty hard for a presenter to push boundries to be honest. They're just sat there talking and analysing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I always love when you get the feeling that somebody is an arsehole, just from being on TV, and stuff like this comes along to prove it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Everytime I read the thread title I read it as:

"Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot sexy water"

Everytime I click on it and there are no pics, I die a little inside :(

Everytime I read the thread title I read it as:

"Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot sexy water"

Everytime I click on it and there are no pics, I die a little inside :(

Thank god there are no pics of that nature.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Anything that sees these 2 removed from tv can never be described as too harsh a punishment.

Please moral outrage brigade, do a top class job this once, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Jaysus thats shocking, that Richard Keys is a nasty little bugger off air.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement