Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot "sexist" water .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

It's a bit much to fire them over this alone but how many times does Richard Keyes have to do this before he's demoted? That's his third time by my count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    It's a bit much to fire them over this alone but how many times does Richard Keyes have to do this before he's demoted? That's his third time by my count.

They are probably worried about losing him to another station if hes demoted.

Way prefer to see Jeff Stelling do the live games to be honest, but that would probably mean the end of him on Soccer Saturday and we don't want that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Jayob10 wrote: »
    They are probably worried about losing him to another station if hes demoted.

Way prefer to see Jeff Stelling do the live games to be honest, but that would probably mean the end of him on Soccer Saturday and we don't want that

I don't know where he could possibly go. Linekar and Chiles aren't going to be pushed aside for that piece of shiit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

5starpool wrote: »
    Please moral outrage brigade, do a top class job this once, please.

We all dislike Keys and Gray like any other rational boy or girl, but if it was Dunphy and Biiiiiiillllllll...I would fancy there would be a lot less indignation.

Not that there should be, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

argosy2006 wrote: »
    She flagged for offside in match yesterday, and no one could understand why, the commentators said nothing lol, just silence,
    anyone remember that?
    But she got the key decisions correct !

I remember it. It was never disucussed at all. It was an interchange between maxi and torres, no-one offside. I thought it was very unusual indeed. It really shouldve been brought up they even replayed it and all but no comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

argosy2006 wrote: »
    She flagged for offside in match yesterday, and no one could understand why, the commentators said nothing lol, just silence,
    anyone remember that?
    But she got the key decisions correct !

Yeah remember it well, couldn't understand it at all myself,

The amount of praise she is getting for getting one decision right is a bit insulting to be honest, it wasn't even a tight call to be honest,

Anyways fair play to her for having the balls......well having the whatever to get out there and do it, delighted for her that she has reached the top stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The amount of praise she is getting for getting one decision right is a bit insulting to be honest, it wasn't even a tight call to be honest.

she's getting praise as a reaction to Keys and Gray's ridiculous punditry, where they're sexist towards her, in reaction to a decision she got spot on.

she wouldn't be getting this much praise otherwise.

and just to point out, at that speed, it was a very, very tight call. Meireles was level when the ball was played, and he was running forward at speed with Zubar trying to step up.

if assistant referees get dumped on for bad calls, it's only right they get credit for good ones.

SlickRic wrote: »
    she's getting praise as a reaction to Keys and Gray's ridiculous punditry, where they're sexist towards her, in reaction to a decision she got spot on.

and just to point out, at that speed, it was a very, very tight call. Meireles was level when the ball was played, and he was running forward at speed with Zubar trying to step up.

if assistant referees get dumped on for bad calls, it's only right they get credit for good ones.

When did this leaked audio clip take place? I was under the impression it was before the game, so didn't think they were talking about her in relation to that decision.

I didn't think it was that tight at the time, i'll admit I haven't looked back on it, but regardless of the decision a linesperson is going to make they have a 50/50 chance of getting it right anyways :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I didn't think it was that tight at the time, i'll admit I haven't looked back on it, but regardless of the decision a linesperson is going to make they have a 50/50 chance of getting it right anyways :pac:

NOOOO!!!!!!

Stop that!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    NOOOO!!!!!!

Stop that!

I don't want to be banned lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it wasn't even a tight call to be honest,

it was a very tight and difficult call, everyone moving out shouting with hands up as forward runs through and the forward closest to her and defender on far side. 7 or 8 times out of 10 linesmen play it safe and give them offside when they aren't...

copacetic wrote: »
    it was a very tight and difficult call, everyone moving out shouting with hands up as forward runs through and the forward closest to her and defender on far side. 7 or 8 times out of 10 linesmen play it safe and give them offside when they aren't...

Maybe she didnt give it offside because she doesnt know what offside is.

Maybe Gray & Keys are right!

copacetic wrote: »

Yeah ok, I have said above i never looked back on it - i saw it maybe twice and didn't think it was that difficult - maybe it was,

Regardless of that, I still believe she is getting a bit too much praise for it, especially given the offside she did give that wasn't, and in relation to my initial post I am still under the impression the comments took place before that decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

True. On the other side, there is some condescending "isn't she great" type stuff though, which is just as bad as Keys and Gray.

The fact that she's a linesman in the Premier League is remarkable as its a first, but that really is all there is to it, she should be judged the same as everybody else doing it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We had a female ref (second time this season) in our UCFL game yesterday.

She wasn't bad.

Are Gray and Keyes referring to a specific decision? Cos obv the Torres one was correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is the last word on today by the way?

Heheh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Cheers Slick .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Yeah ok, I have said above i never looked back on it - i saw it maybe twice and didn't think it was that difficult - maybe it was,

Regardless of that, I still believe she is getting a bit too much praise for it, especially given the offside she did give that wasn't, and in relation to my initial post I am still under the impression the comments took place before that decision.

This thread is not about one offside decision .

The reason I mentioned that one decision was to put Gray & Keys ridiculous comments into context .

mixednuts wrote: »
    This thread is not about one offside decision .

The reason I mentioned that one decision was to put Gray & Keys ridiculous comments into context .

I am well aware of that.

I am entitled to my comments, which were in relation to the praise she was getting for that one decision, which in my opinion is a bit condescending towards the girl, I make this based on my understanding that Gray's and Key's comments were not made after that incident or specifically about that incident.

I would like to know the timing of the comments, as the original article says

both:

"...during a Premier League football match."

and

"were recorded making disparaging remarks about Sian Massey, 25, before Liverpool’s Premiership clash with Wolves yesterday"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Wouldnt it be great it she was wearing a bikini while officiating..;):p:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

K-9 wrote: »
    The fact that she's a linesman in the Premier League is remarkable as its a first

its not

shes not even the first one

Helix wrote: »
    its not

shes not even the first one

She's not the first one, but you can not say that female officials in the Premier League is still remarkable.

Take your PC hat off for a minute and come back to reality! They are very VERY rare. Don't try to pretend that when you saw her or you see a female official you didnt think "Oh, look at that, a female official"

Hasnt been mentioned here yet but I heard reports of supporters chanting 'get yer t!ts out for the lads'. Dont know if it was home or away fans but its pretty low and I would have been mortified if I was at that game.

She's not the first one, but you can not say that female officials in the Premier League is still remarkable.

Take your PC hat off for a minute and come back to reality! They are very VERy rare. Don't try to pretend that when you saw her or you see a female official you didnt think "Oh, look at that, a female official"

theyre only rare coz, for the most part, women dont seem particularly arsed in getting into it. to be a linesman in the premier league you have to be a full ref at championship level, perhaps youd think that more remarkable?

honestly i dont think the fact that shes a woman i really worthy of remark. its a person doing a job men normally do yeah, but she's not the first and she wont be the last

who actually cares like? nothing pc about it, i absolutely hate the pc brigade if im being honest

Devil08 wrote: »
    Hasnt been mentioned here yet but I heard reports of supporters chanting 'get yer t!ts out for the lads'. Dont know if it was home or away fans but its pretty low and I would have been mortified if I was at that game.

yeah i doubt shes ever heard that before in her years officiating in lower leagues like

• Advertisement

theyre only rare coz, for the most part, women dont seem particularly arsed in getting into it. to be a linesman in the premier league you have to be a full ref at championship level, perhaps youd think that more remarkable?

honestly i dont think the fact that shes a woman i really worthy of remark. its a person doing a job men normally do yeah, but she's not the first and she wont be the last

who actually cares like? nothing pc about it, i absolutely hate the pc brigade if im being honest

The fact that it's rare is what makes it remarkable!

yeah i doubt shes ever heard that before in her years officiating in lower leagues like

Im sure she has yes. Doubt that makes it any easier for her though.

Im sure she has yes. Doubt that makes it any easier for her though.

im sure she doesnt care

do you think she's a delicate little flower who'll wilt at the first bit of mickey taking she encounters? thats how shes managed to make it so far i assume?

The fact that it's rare is what makes it remarkable!

i think the most remarkable part of it is that people find it remarkable

i think the most remarkable part of it is that people find it remarkable

So answer me this, when you saw the female linesman yesterday, you didn't think any differently as if it had been a man?

You didn't think "Hmm... a female linesman, that's different"?

Of course you did! This is what remarkable is!

• Advertisement

So answer me this, when you saw the female linesman yesterday, you didn't think any differently as if it had been a man?

You didn't think "Hmm... a female linesman, that's different"?

Of course you did! This is what remarkable is!

no i didnt

coz its nothing new

it wasnt even this girls first game in the premiership ffs

its SO remarkable that people didnt even pass comment on her previous games, and its SO remarkable that some didnt even realise she wasnt the first female linesman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

that audio was taking during andy and richards daily anal sex with each other sessions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭samboshy

Is there any actual recording of them saying it? It could be just a rumour. Someone has probably answered this already but I'm not bothered reading all the posts.

no i didnt

I don't believe you.
    its SO remarkable that people didnt even pass comment on her previous games, and its SO remarkable that some didnt even realise she wasnt the first female linesman

I'm glad we agree.

I remember there was a lady commentator on Match of the Day not too long ago. Sounded strange TBH. Just not used to it I suppose.

I remember there was a lady commentator on Match of the Day not too long ago. Sounded strange TBH. Just not used to it I suppose.
    she had a horrible voice that one

Yeah, I just couldn't listen to her. A terrible voice and her enthusiasm always seemed artificial!

I don't believe you.

yeah, coming onto forums and lying about my opinions is something i do all the time

if its so remarkable how come people are only noticing her now? and how come people didnt remember wendy toms?

yeah, coming onto forums and lying about my opinions is something i do all the time

if its so remarkable how come people are only noticing her now? and how come people didnt remember wendy toms?

We're remarking on it now. We're in a 10 page thread talking about her and talking about remarks made about her in the media.

It's remarkable dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

no i didnt

coz its nothing new

it wasnt even this girls first game in the premiership ffs

True, I'd forgotten a match a couple of years back were MOTD focussed on it.

Still, Sky made a big deal about it. I can't see how it isn't remarkable though. Women on building sites was remarkable as first, when it was new and novel, now nobody bats an eyelid.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    True, I'd forgotten a match a couple of years back were MOTD focussed on it.

Still, Sky made a big deal about it. I can't see how it isn't remarkable though. Women on building sites was remarkable as first, when it was new and novel, now nobody bats an eyelid.

but female officials isnt new and novel any more, thats my point

but female officials isnt new and novel any more, thats my point

It obviously is!

It's hardly the norm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Probably the reason why their arent more women involved in sports jobs.
    Those two idiot commentators just show the immaturity that too many people have, god knows what would be said down on the ground..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Sky Sports appeals to the kind of people who buy tabloid newspapers. What do people expect from the likes of their pundits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Mister men wrote: »
    Sky Sports appeals to the kind of people who buy tabloid newspapers. What do people expect from the likes of their pundits?
    Well here was me thinking Sky Sports appealed to those who liked sports.

You do realise there is more than Andy Gray and Richard Keys on Sky Sports don't you?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

no it doesn't. Sky sports appeals to the 'kind of people' who want to watch the sports it carries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hopefully the two of them get done for this. I hate Gray but I ****ing dispise Keys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Hahahaha, are you talking down at people who like Sky Sports... In a Soccer forum???

That is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Hahahaha, are you talking down at people who like Sky Sports... In a Soccer forum???

That is hilarious.

Your point being? You can dislike Sky Sports and love football you know. Also who's talking down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I hate most of the punditry on Sky Sports. Stick most of the guys from the Guardian Pod on there and you have a good informative show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement