Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot "sexist" water .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Keys is an awful, disingenuous man. He was caught out mocking one of Scotland's games before as well:

Hope the pair of them have to make a grovelling apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mister men wrote: »
    Your point being? You can dislike Sky Sports and love football you know. Also who's talking down?

You can yes, however alot of people on a Soccer forum would like Sky Sports for providing them with unprecedented football coverage, I found that amusing.

You were talking down when you said "What do people expect from their pundits" after implying that those who like Sky Sports like Tabloids Newspapers, which is not entirely true in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

If I made comments like this in work I would have the book thrown at me,these two should be no different

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Le King wrote: »
    I hate most of the punditry on Sky Sports. Stick most of the guys from the Guardian Pod on there and you have a good informative show.

They should give the presenting role to Sarah Jane Mee imo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    You can yes, however alot of people on a Soccer forum would like Sky Sports for providing them with unprecedented football coverage, I found that amusing.

You were talking down when you said "What do people expect from their pundits" after implying that those who like Sky Sports like Tabloids Newspapers, which is not entirely true in itself.

He's obviously talking about the punditry and he's right for the most part.

Haha Windass can barely speak.
    Haha Merse can't get names right.
    Haha Phil has a big nose.

Fluckin morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If this becomes a big issue then it will be funny seeing this reported on Sky Sports News by Georgie and co., unless the channel decides to steer well clear of it. Also interesting will be Keys and Gray reviewing the Wolves/Liverpool match on Monday Night Football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Punditry on Sky is really the last thing I'd take heed to. I'm take the RTÉ lads every day of the week. And as for the stats and so forth the Internet readily provides them so that's not a selling point. The only reason I pay my Sky subscription is because its the best medium to watch football. Their rugby coverage mirrors the football coverage in terms of poor commentators and tedium analysis. They have American Football also. So three of my four favourite sports are on Sky so I get Sky in, not for its analysis, commentary or anything else.

Now the matter at hand, Keys is a spiteful little man and Andy Gray has never only ever shown contempt for foreigners sure he might as well show utter contempt to females. While I don't think they should get sacked they should get severely reprimanded and be forced to make a very groveling apology.

However were they to get sacked I really don't think it would be the worst thing to happen in the world. Those two have been there far too long and have got lazy, peddling the same shíte to the viewer for almost 20 years. It might have worked then when fans weren't as informed but it ain't gonna work now.

In fairness Ron got the road for something similar, albeit racist and Robbie Earle got the boot over the summer for something that was fairly innocuous I thought. It would be nice of the Joe Duffy Moral Outrage went to town on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Helix wrote: »
    but female officials isnt new and novel any more, thats my point

To you it isn't, but by the look of the coverage from Sky and the comments from Keyes and Gray, it is to a hell of a lot of people.

Now just to clear something up, by remarkable I mean something that would be worthy of comment which from looking at the match thread, many did. Hell, MOTD2 is just after showing the Torres goal and the BBC commentator referred to her sex in relation to the tight call.

As for Sky, the coverage and technology used is good, the punditry isn't great.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sky sports is tabloid tv. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not the first time they've mocked women in football....

You can hear the beginnings of laughter followed by silence and then when they're on air at the end they just break themselves laughing at the end.

I didn't need this to convince me but it reinforces that they're just idiots.

Off-air or not, you're in work, keep your mouth shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

You can hear the beginnings of laughter followed by silence and then when they're on air at the end they just break themselves laughing at the end.

Oh come on, look at the quality of football in that.

I was laughing at it myself, not because it's women playing, but because it's shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It would be for the betterment of women's football if that video was to be completely obliterated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

K-9 wrote: »
    To you it isn't, but by the look of the coverage from Sky and the comments from Keyes and Gray, it is to a hell of a lot of people.

Now just to clear something up, by remarkable I mean something that would be worthy of comment which from looking at the match thread, many did. Hell, MOTD2 is just after showing the Torres goal and the BBC commentator referred to her sex in relation to the tight call.

As for Sky, the coverage and technology used is good, the punditry isn't great.

Was it on fire? ba dum ... i'll get me coat.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Was it on fire? ba dum ... i'll get me coat.

Awhhhhhhhh

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Oh come on, look at the quality of football in that.

I was laughing at it myself, not because it's women playing, but because it's shocking.

Yep, but it is clear why they are laughing at it and it isn't just the the standard of football, there is more to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep, but it is clear why they are laughing at it and it isn't just the the standard of football, there is more to it.

Yep, you're right. I mean the amount of calamity laugh out loud moments that happen in the English leagues that they never laugh at (I'm thinking Bramble getting smashed in the face with the ball, or Chris Brass nearly breaking his nose trying to clear the ball and it smashing off his face into the goal for an own goal). They just acknowledge it and move on, whereas here its clear that its a bit of a "haha look at the women and how brutal they are" and then fits of giggles.

Oh and what is that great psychologist sir?

It's not the shocking quality of football and hilarious volley that was scored, showing the terrible goalkeeping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm literally the only person in football who doesn't hate Sky Punditry : /

I'll take them any day over the ****e that RTE spews out : (

I dont watch football for the punditry, but I'd be absolutely lieing through my teeth if through the ages of like 12-18 growing up, I didn't learn an absolute shedload from post game analysis on sky.

And I also enjoy the build up and post game stuff aswell, just for me makes watching a game that bit more enjoyable.

Also think the champions league show they do and the punditry is enjoyable.

But sometimes I really do feel on the periphary, cause I just don't comprahend any other way to watch football other then sky...or online HQ streams with some bloke from The United Arabs roaring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well i was breaking my heart laughing at the end at the presentation bit,

Men or Women that was hilarious for me, the bottom falling off and then the lid of the cup falling off :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

TheDoc wrote: »

I dont watch football for the punditry, but I'd be absolutely lieing through my teeth if through the ages of like 12-18 growing up, I didn't learn an absolute shedload from post game analysis on sky.

And I also enjoy the build up and post game stuff aswell, just for me makes watching a game that bit more enjoyable.

But sometimes I really do feel on the periphary, cause I just don't comprahend any other way to watch football other then sky...or online HQ streams with some bloke from The United Arabs roaring

Jamie?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I see Jamie is rubbing off on you anyway :)

Edit : Boo xavi :(
    I'm literally going to explode here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Does Keys ever come out with anything insightful or memorable.The Sky punditry is watered down compared to RTE.
    Imagine Dunphy and Giles on Super Sunday.Even Souness said he preferred it on RTE because you have to rein in your views on Sky for fear of offending someone.Just listen to the drivel Jamie Redknapp comes out with,they all want to be mates with the players and managers and are afraid to speak their minds.
    I watch Sky for the football but let the punditry drift over me-even Ian Holloway was restrained yesterday.
    Anyhow at least the 'assistant referee' was the winner by getting the offside decision spot on.

No sympathy for either of them. Never liked Keys, always comes across as a bit smarmy or creepy. Gray talks serious BS so can't listen to him.

Tbh, I haven't watched the punditry on Sky in years. Then again ,the only ones I watch is the RTE lads for entertainment.

They deserve some form of punishment but calls for them to be sacked are over the top imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Rodney Marsh was sacked by sky for badly judged commenets concerning the tsunami.

These comments were in equally poor taste but dont appear to have resulted in anything more serious than a slap on the wrist. A certain double standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Can't fúcking stand the pair of them. Keys is such a smarmy slimey cúnt and while Gray is less hateable I've tired of his bullshít. Would love to see them both off the air, Keys moreso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

fair play...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/870203/kenny-dalglish-denies-ryan-babel-will-be-leaving-liverpool?cc=5739

"Dalglish began his morning press conference in jovial mood, asking the Sky Sports reporter if he was comfortable having a female in the room following revelations of sexist comments made by Andy Gray and Richard Keys"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

much ado about nothing, i couldnt g*ve a feck what they said about lady lineswoman or not...

big deal being made over it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Don't mind either of them, don't particularly like them either although theres could be better on it, gray does gets on my tits big time with the replays. If only Jaime was caught at it too. BBC should hammer them though, anytim someone on the beeb does something, sky gets on their high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

There's a horrible trend that I've obseved recently and that's Twitter witch hunts - this is no different. My Twitter feed (mostly football writers and fan blogs) is stacked with self-righteous, nauseating tripe about Keys and Gray. I completely disagree with what they said but they're not going to get sacked by Sky and they've officially apologised - the story doesn't progress anywhere from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

At the Liverpool press conference this morning, Dalglish asked the Sky Sports reporter if he was ok with there being female journos in the room with him.

Kess73 wrote: »
    At the Liverpool press conference this morning, Dalglish asked the Sky Sports reporter if he was ok with there being female journos in the room with him.

And what was the point of that?

Tarring all Sky Sports reporters because Gray and Keys are idiots?

Smells of ignorance tbh.

much ado about nothing, i couldnt g*ve a feck what they said about lady lineswoman or not...

big deal being made over it to be honest.

That's probably the opinion Gray and Keys have too.

Smells of ignorance tbh.

Will somebody please think of the children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Personally I'd love for Gray to get the boot. Would like to see Don Goodman commentate on some of the Premier League games. Good commentator imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Smells of ignorance tbh.

The only ignorance on show was from the Sky reporter asking Kenny about the offside decision, and what Kenny thought of it being made by a female linesperson. It was typical lowest common denominator stuff from Sky Sports as they tried to cater for their audience.

Kenny's answer was a humourous way of trying to shut that reporter up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭jaykay74

How do these glasses work Andy ?
    Not a breeze son.

WHV358.3dtv.gray-420-90.jpg

e1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Smells of ignorance tbh.
    Your bias knows no bounds tbh. Your not a fan of humour then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

In that case I'd say you know absolutely nothing about football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There's a horrible trend that I've obseved recently and that's Twitter witch hunts - this is no different. My Twitter feed (mostly football writers and fan blogs) is stacked with self-righteous, nauseating tripe about Keys and Gray. I completely disagree with what they said but they're not going to get sacked by Sky and they've officially apologised - the story doesn't progress anywhere from here

It is a bit of a storm in a tea cup but an obvious double standard nonetheless when you consider what other pundits have been sacked for

• Advertisement

Smells of ignorance tbh.

The only reason you have a problem with it is because a Liverpool manager said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Good to see all-round top pundit Andy Townsend weighing in and putting Gray and Keys in their place:
    Disappointed in Richard Keys & Andy Gray. In this day and age women in football should be given more respect, especially the attractive ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

They seem to have been suspended ..
    RT @sidlowe: Keys and Gray suspended. How ironic that they should be suspended for spouting inane, cliched, ill-informed nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Delighted to see Sky have suspended them for tonights game, I just heard the recording and it would have been ridiculous if they had of gotten away with this unpunsihed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is there a pc forum on here. Just hate to see this thread constantly at the top of the forum.

I wonder how many guys on here complaining about this go to games? Do you join in on the non-pc chants?

Workplace my bollocks, who gives a continental about something so harmless?

We are not robots, people make mistakes. Big deal. This is Hollywood crapola not football stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭dahat

MOG7 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Sky have suspended them for tonights game, I just heard the recording and it would have been ridiculous if they had of gotten away with this unpunsihed.

A mere token gesture to satisfy the masses..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Savman wrote: »
    I see the bible bashing PC brigade are out in force today, must have gone to mass this morning eh.

If they made these comments down the local you'd probably laugh, do it on telly and they are all sorts of bad people. :rolleyes:

Storm in a tea cup IMHO.

No they're not bad people for saying it. Just stupid.
    Saying it in a pub is funny. Saying it on TV is moronic.
    The issue is just as much why they said it. Not what they actually said. It was baseless. She wouldn't be officiating if she wasn't qualified to do it. We spend most of the season giving out about official's decisions and they're made by men. They had a pop at her for being a woman and nothing else. And that is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Is there a pc forum on here. Just hate to see this thread constantly at the top of the forum.

I wonder how many guys on here complaining about this go to games? Do you join in on the non-pc chants?

We are not robots, people make mistakes. Big deal. This is Hollywood crapola not football stuff.

So you think it's alright to go around and say derogatory things about women in the workplace.

They are employed by Sky and are treated as "professionals". If I were to slag women where I work, I'd be given the boot and I'm glad they're getting the boot for tonight's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

eagle eye wrote: »

When I first read it I was kinda was on your vibe .
    I then listened to the audio and it totally changed my mind .

It's not a bit of banter between 2 lads as Keys takes it too far and sounds real nasty towards any form of women participation in the Sport .

It's not really a PC Brigade call , it's important to see the true face of someone(s) that's on TV every week and takes a massive pay check for same.

M
    (ps) trust me ..nothing gets up my back more than the pc brigade .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement