Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot "sexist" water .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It will be on here in a few mins

SantryRed wrote: »
    Form? Are you for real?

The 2nd goal for both teams in that clip are absolutely hilarious and they have every right to be laughing. If it was a men's game they'd be laughing too. As much as I dislike Keys and Gray, It will be an absolute farce if they lose their job over that clip on the Daily Mail website.
    I agree with you, but people this is what people are saying.

It's on sky news now if anyone wants to see the other Andy Gray clip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I agree with you, but people this is what people are saying.

It's on sky news now if anyone wants to see the other Andy Gray clip!

I seen it. All he says is that she's not a looker. And he curses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

what nonsense...you should hear the horsesh*t that does be spoken on TV3 Midday every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    You don't think Atkinson should have been fired for calling Desailly a lazy Ni**er?

But you think these two clowns should be sacked for making a joke about a woman not knowing the offside rule?

LOL.

I suggest you read my post again - perhaps a little slower this time. Cyrille Regis's support for Ron is good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This isn't it but this is something from before, seems like they've got form about this kind of thing.

If anyone is near a TV turn on Sky News, it'll be coming on the tv again soon.
    It starts off with a Sky guy saying to Andy Gray there is a female linesman today and someone said she is a bit of a looker, then Andy goes on a bit of a rant.

In fairness, even I can say that some of the football in that clip is embarrassing and I couldn't help but laugh at it.

I'm just after listening to the clip now and it's pure ignorance on the behalf of Keys and Gray. I was always indifferent to their commentary so I wouldn't be looking for a reason for them to get the boot but that was totally uncalled for and my respect is now zero for both of them.

I seen it. All he says is that she's not a looker. And he curses.
    He says she won't be a looker.
    Then he says No, I can see her from here, she's not.
    He then says something like "Its f*cking stupid having a female linesman"

With this and the other clip I think it will be too much for Sky to keep him.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    what nonsense...you should hear the horsesh*t that does be spoken on TV3 Midday every morning.
    Apparently your one from Loose Women said it was nothing, and that if it was sexism then there own show was guilty of sexism every day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Have a link?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You know, I think the comments they made are pretty common for EPL fans, at least the ones I know. Should they have been made by professional broadcasters at work? No, probably not, assuming the work environment isn't 100% male, they will have made some of their co-workers uncomfortable. Should they be punished for their comments, yes, probably, even if it only a slap on the wrist.

I think what is more telling, is that neither of the two broadcasters have come out to publicly apologize to the assistant referee or the viewers for their comments. Reading into, one of them denied it until he found out there was a recording and then said he didn't need to comment if there was a recording.

Regarding the PC-nature etc, well, it's not just being PC, it's about inclusion. Do you believe women should be included in the game in any capacity or not? Sports presenters? officials? managers? players? Because when you allow nonsense like this, you exclude women, why would they want to do something that they'll never be accepted for? So what role do you want for women in the game? Scantily clad like the Soccer fans show in the UK? If so, yeah, it's not a case or PC/non-PC, its a case of being sexist.

The irony is, I'm willing to bet that some of the same guys who go on about women knowing nothing about soccer, are the same ones who comment that a girl who likes soccer is a good catch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

I'd love to see those two run the line at a match, and then have every decision analysed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

'Did you hear charming Karren Brady complaining about sexism? Do me a favour, love.'

That's an attack? Really? An attack?

None of the incident constitutes an attack, by any loose definition. I still maintain the entire episode is overkill, and that it patently suits some people to be "offended" by the least thing.

Understand I am not supporting what they said, but decrying the misplaced upset evidenced and the way something plainly not intended for public consumption has been presented as an affront.

So desperate were you to get "the last word" that you chose to latch on to one little word in my post, ignore the context that you know full well I meant it in, and blow it out of all proportion. A bit ironic considering you seem to have such a massive hang up about the concept of blowing things out of proportion. It gives me great satisfaction that you could not dispute anything in my post and that you had to resort to such desperate tactics!

Gray and Keys were wrong, they should not have said what they did as it is discriminatory against all women, they brought up the previous female lineswoman out of nothing, and Keys started speaking about Karen Brady in a derisory manner for no reason, with no provokation from her. A completely random attack (I use that word again for those of us who have a concept of context) on her just because she complained about sexism- and in light of Richard Keys' comments it would seem that she was 100% correct to complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

jordainius wrote: »
    So desperate were you to get "the last word" that you chose to latch on to one little word in my post, ignore the context that you know full well I meant it in, and blow it out of all proportion. A bit ironic considering you seem to have such a massive hang up about the concept of blowing things out of proportion. It gives me great satisfaction that you could not dispute anything in my post and that you had to resort to such desperate tactics!

Gray and Keys were wrong, they should not have said what they did as it is discriminatory against all women, they brought up the previous female lineswoman out of nothing, and Keys started speaking about Karen Brady in a derisory manner for no reason, with no provokation from her. A completely random attack (I use that word again for those of us who have a concept of context) on her just because she complained about sexism- and in light of Richard Keys' comments it would seem that she was 100% correct to complain about it.

I completely agree. Many people on very ordinary wages are expected to maintain higher professional standards than this. These two are in very influential positions, they are part of the football "establishment" and they have to go. If this had been an anti-Irish rant, many of the people here who are talking about "the pc brigade" would take an entirely different view. The fact that we do not hear "anti-Irish" rants on British tv any more is partly a testament to the activism of Irish people living in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

GuanYin wrote: »
    You know, I think the comments they made are pretty common for EPL fans, at least the ones I know. Should they have been made by professional broadcasters at work? No, probably not, assuming the work environment isn't 100% male, they will have made some of their co-workers uncomfortable. Should they be punished for their comments, yes, probably, even if it only a slap on the wrist.

I think what is more telling, is that neither of the two broadcasters have come out to publicly apologize to the assistant referee or the viewers for their comments. Reading into, one of them denied it until he found out there was a recording and then said he didn't need to comment if there was a recording.

Regarding the PC-nature etc, well, it's not just being PC, it's about inclusion. Do you believe women should be included in the game in any capacity or not? Sports presenters? officials? managers? players? Because when you allow nonsense like this, you exclude women, why would they want to do something that they'll never be accepted for? So what role do you want for women in the game? Scantily clad like the Soccer fans show in the UK? If so, yeah, it's not a case or PC/non-PC, its a case of being sexist.

The irony is, I'm willing to bet that some of the same guys who go on about women knowing nothing about soccer, are the same ones who comment that a girl who likes soccer is a good catch.

I fail too see the ironing tbh. I'd have thought it pretty common for people to be more attracted/interested in dating someone when both share a common hoobie/interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I fail too see the ironing tbh. I'd have thought it pretty common for people to be more attracted/interested in dating someone when both share a common hoobie/interest.

I agree, it is a common attraction, but you can't on one hand have an idealism of a woman interested in your hobby and on the other hand dismiss offhand that she or any other woman could ever participate in the game at a high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

So will Keys and Gray keep their jobs after the suspension? Or are they going to be sacked?

Talking about it now on Sky News, was the headline on Jeff Randall live.

Gray and Keys are clowns for saying what they did, on-air or off-air, people are responsible for their actions and what they say whilst being paid. The fact that it was caught unknowingly is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Anyone seen , heard or got a link to the second piece of audio that "supposedly " puts Gray in further ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Did they make the comments before or after the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I suggest you read my post again - perhaps a little slower this time. Cyrille Regis's support for Ron is good enough for me.
    It appears I did read your post wrongly, my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

This hasnt surprised me. Most of those English guys are anti everything that isnt white anglo prodestant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    This hasnt surprised me. Most of those English guys are anti everything that isnt white anglo prodestant.
    Funny I always thought Andy Gray was a scot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Yeah and I always thought Keys originated from a jungle.

I'm already enjoying the broadcast more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

GuanYin wrote: »
    I agree, it is a common attraction, but you can't on one hand have an idealism of a woman interested in your hobby and on the other hand dismiss offhand that she or any other woman could ever participate in the game at a high level.

I don't think many men feel women can't participate in the game at a high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dave Jones is a very good presenter. Give me him over Hairy Hands and Gray who have gone very, very stale now.

Long may this continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

jordainius wrote: »

Derive you satisfaction where you can! I don't feel any of the rest of your post said anything worthy of dispute, so it was not that I "could not" rather that I did not. As you will note, I have concurred the two chaps were wrong, but I also note the righteous indignation of some who are like hounds with the scent of blood in their noses.

As I said, mountain out of molehill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Your bigotry is as embarrassing as that of well known Scot Andy Gray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

A pair of tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd find another link if I were you, don't think anybody believes anything than comes from that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

What an awful man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

So is Gray and Keys gone for good or were they just not allowed to take the game tonight??
    If Gray goes Id like to see him on MOTD, him and Hanson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

So is Gray and Keys gone for good or were they just not allowed to take the game tonight??
    If Gray goes Id like to see him on MOTD, him and Hanson.

If Sky wouldn't have him for being un PC, BBC sure as hell wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

JPA wrote: »
    If Sky wouldn't have him for being un PC, BBC sure as hell wouldn't.

Fergie might give him a job in his backroom team , sure isnt he always sooooooooooo biased towards them all the time:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Paully D wrote: »
    Dave Jones is a very good presenter. Give me him over Hairy Hands and Gray who have gone very, very stale now.

Long may this continue.

They should have put a woman on to present really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

greendom wrote: »
    They should have put a woman on to present really.

Charlotte Jackson:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

BERBA wrote: »
    Charlotte Jackson:D

Perfect - or perhaps Sian Massey with a panel including Wendy Toms and Karen Brady :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

To be honest her decisions for the 1st and 3rd goals were spot on and far better than most male linesmen I've seen down through the years.

She also got it right in real time with 20,000 home fans screaming down her neck, most male linesman would have put up their flag in that situation. So it was some of the best officiating I have seen in a long time.

As for Gray and Keys, both had the benefit of an elevated viewpoint and replays from every angle and yet both still got it wrong.

Maybe it's Gray and Keys who need the offside rule explained to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Having heard the story break this morning I was outraged.
    I would like to just make a few comments, and I apologize if I repeat comments made already. I have read the entire thread (which was interesting to say the least) so I will try not to repeat things people have said.

1. Sian Massey is a perfectly capable referees assistant, if she wasnt she would not have been asked to be an official for a premier league game
    2. for Keyes and Gray to insinuate that she does not understand the off side rule because she is a woman, before they have even seen her in action is ridiculous, sexist and totally uncalled for.
    3. Im glad people are praising her for getting a few big decisions right, but I think heaping on the praise just because she is a woman is just as condescending. She did her job, and a good job. end of. I know I wouldnt want to get loads of praise for doing my job, just because Im a woman.
    4. Keyes and Gray should be sacked. If they passed comments like that in any other work place they would be shown the door. Equality in the work place applies to every work place. Sky should not be an exception.
    5. Finally I would love to know what the other sky sports presenters (both men and women) think/ feel about the comments their colleagues made. If I was for example Georgie Thompson or Alex Hammond, I would be hurt, especially as Keyes comments sounded so nasty.

sorry, rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

SarahBM wrote: »
    Having heard the story break this morning I was outraged.
    I would like to just make a few comments, and I apologize if I repeat comments made already. I have read the entire thread (which was interesting to say the least) so I will try not to repeat things people have said.

1. Sian Massey is a perfectly capable referees assistant, if she wasnt she would not have been asked to be an official for a premier league game
    2. for Keyes and Gray to insinuate that she does not understand the off side rule because she is a woman, before they have even seen her in action is ridiculous, sexist and totally uncalled for.
    3. Im glad people are praising her for getting a few big decisions right, but I think heaping on the praise just because she is a woman is just as condescending. She did her job, and a good job. end of. I know I wouldnt want to get loads of praise for doing my job, just because Im a woman.
    4. Keyes and Gray should be sacked. If they passed comments like that in any other work place they would be shown the door. Equality in the work place applies to every work place. Sky should not be an exception.
    5. Finally I would love to know what the other sky sports presenters (both men and women) think/ feel about the comments their colleagues made. If I was for example Georgie Thompson or Alex Hammond, I would be hurt, especially as Keyes comments sounded so nasty.

sorry, rant over.

Grand.

Dinner ready yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Did Steve Coogan get a bit of inspiration for the Alan Partridge character from Richard Keys?

Thought I read that somewhere before.

• Advertisement

Grand.

Dinner ready yet?

you know where the oven and fridge are. ;)

Are they near the kneepads and mouthwash?

:-)

I am going hungry tonight aren't I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I bet he does ( Hello, Dominos!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

In fairness now nobody can say that football matches will be the same without andy gray commentating. I hate all of this Last Word and MNF bullsh*t but his commentating partnership with Martin Tyler is brilliant. Won't be sacked obviously but people who want him sacked are only thinking of his punditry. His commentry is world class. It's either him or Sam Allardyce:D

Are they near the kneepads and mouthwash?

:-)

I am going hungry tonight aren't I?

not if you cook for yourself. now, you see, you are promoting the perception that men cant look after themselves. which I know is not true.
    you may cook yourself dinner.

back to the topic. have sky sacked Keyes and Gray yet?
    I think Georgie Thompson should get Keyes job. she is way more interesting and perhaps might even be more knowledgeable, since she hasnt been listening to Gray's BS for the last 20 years.

DH2K9 wrote: »
    In fairness now nobody can say that football matches will be the same without andy gray commentating. I hate all of this Last Word and MNF bullsh*t but his commentating partnership with Martin Tyler is brilliant. Won't be sacked obviously but people who want him sacked are only thinking of his punditry. His commentry is world class. It's either him or Sam Allardyce:D

Gimme allardyce any day *insert serious face here*

not if you cook for yourself. now, you see, you are promoting the perception that men cant look after themselves. which I know is not true.
    you may cook yourself dinner.

back to the topic. have sky sacked Keyes and Gray yet?
    I think Georgie Thompson should get Keyes job. she is way more interesting and perhaps might even be more knowledgeable, since she hasnt been listening to Gray's BS for the last 20 years.

I do not know if they have been sacked, i have no inside info. I cannot cook, my boyfriend does all the cooking.

And the forced apology has been made by Keys (from Football 365)
    KEYS PHONES MASSEY TO APOLOGISE

Sky Sports presenter Richard Keys has telephoned assistant referee Sian Massey to apologise for his off-air remarks about her at the weekend, a Professional Game Match Officials spokesman has confirmed.

Microphones picked up comments made by Keys and co-presenter Andy Gray in what they thought was an off-air conversation before the Wolves v Liverpool match on Saturday.

The pair were not involved in Sky Sports' coverage of Monday night's Bolton v Chelsea match as a result.

The PGMO confirmed that Keys had telephoned Massey on Monday.

She accepted the apology and is now keen to move on from the matter, and will be an assistant at the npower League Two match between Crewe and Bradford on Tuesday night.

The PGMO insist that Massey holds her position on merit and is keen to act as a positive role model for women's refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Gimme allardyce any day *insert serious face here*

That is just a lie..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

That's fair enough that he apologised although probably forced.

However, if a Premier League Manager made those remarks, he'd have been fined and given at minimum a 3 match touchline ban.

I think they should both be suspended for a couple of weeks.

Anyways, I am sure the lineswoman is ready to move on with it.

And I also would like to see more women officiating and presenting the footie, not least because they are easier on the eye than Andy Gray.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement