Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray & Richard Keys in hot "sexist" water .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

niallo27 wrote: »
    Really, had you a personal tie to the team

No, I just support womens football hugely. i set up the local ladies team which had a domino effwct and we ended up with 3 teams in the surrounding areas. i'd love to get badges and coach ladies football.

I don't mean i went to Trinidad and Tobago, i'm just saying where they were, in case that's what you are.thinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

SarahBM wrote: »
    didnt hear that, but I dont think men should be mocked over good fashion sense. I have crap fashion sense and could probably use his advice! :D

Fair enough if your not interesting in womens soccer, but Im just saying that there are plenty of women who watch soccer ( the man one).
    just because the majority of players are men doesnt mean women dont watch or have an opinion. Im sorry if Im sounding defensive, I dont mean to. But Im just sick and tired of this perception that women arent interest or know nothing about soccer.

I heard on the news Keyes apologised but did Gray?

But is it a surprise their commentators are sexist when this is their promo ad for HD

mars bar wrote: »
    No, I just support womens football hugely. i set up the local ladies team which had a domino effwct and we ended up with 3 teams in the surrounding areas. i'd love to get badges and coach ladies football.

I don't mean i went to Trinidad and Tobago, i'm just saying where they were, in case that's what you are.thinking!

Well fair play to you for the work in setting up the teams, were the games on eurosport or where did you watch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The question is would you sit down and watch 90 mins of womens football

I would if they wore hot pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

This is a storm in a teacup that will make the headlines because the world is sick of talking politics 24/7.
    They were only having a bit of banter and taking the p1ss. For people saying the tone was too serious, well I think they're just kind of playing the part of grumpy old men. Everyone does it from time to time. I'm 23 and some of my mates give out about people in schools today ect ect. It's just banter and shouldn't really be analyzed over.
    Do don't really like either of them to be honest though, especially Keyes. Would love to see him gone for it. But there's more chance of Andy Gray going now that he's popped up in another piece of footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well fair play to you for the work in setting up the teams, were the games on eurosport or where did you watch them

Thanks!
    Yeah eurosport and the fifa website streamed them as well. our girls played some neat football but the Japanese are bloody good! They keep the ball on the ground and pass it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Not what he's saying at all.

He's saying only the good looking ones are the ones hired for tv, which is true to be fair.

While I do take that point on board, I still stand by my point re Gaby Logan and Sarah Jane Mee in terms of having the ability to present such shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

James Richardson, job done :)

He's a smug pr*ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

OPENROAD wrote: »
    While I do take that point on board, I still stand by my point re Gaby Logan and Sarah Jane Mee in terms of having the ability to present such shows.
    Are they attractive?

Impossible answer.

Yes = Niallos still right.
    No = You appear to be insulting them.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Are they attractive?

Impossible answer.

Yes = Niallos still right.
    No = You appear to be insulting them.

:pac:

Yes they are attractive, I do take his point, my point is regarding the present situation and the fact that I thing both do a far better job then the current presenters both on bbc and sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Yes they are attractive, I do take his point, my point is regarding the present situation and the fact that I thing both do a far better job then the current presenters both on bbc and sky
    I disagree on Logan.

I have seen her presenting before on bbc and itv and it always seemed forced to me, she didn't seem very enthusiastic or natural on the box.

Sarah jane on the other hand I don't really recall very well, what is she from?

Yes but the question is do a large percentage of men want to sit down and watch motd or soccer saturday being presented and analysed by women, i would say no

I disagree on Logan.

I have seen her presenting before on bbc and itv and it always seemed forced to me, she didn't seem very enthusiastic or natural on the box.

Sarah does Football First, is also a newsreader on Sky News.

Always found Logan very good, certainly compared to Lineker and that Irish lad who does it on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This is going round and round....

I disagree on Logan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Yes but the question is do a large percentage of men want to sit down and watch motd or soccer saturday being presented and analysed by women, i would say no
    I would say yes for the most part, the demographic which decides whether or not they'll watch a TV show solely on the gender of the presenter is rather small i'd say. Sadly the media reaction is pitifully huge on this topic, But i think we have to accept that 2 middle age blokes are going to say non pc things. I don't agree with them, but i think they were just having a bit of banter, the kind of nonsense people will say to each other during a game, it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

@TheBig_Sam is in fine form tonight :D

Personally speaking, yes, have no problem, I watch motd each week, but I really cringe sometimes listening to the presenters, Gaby Logan covered for a couple of weeks and for the first time in years I really enjoyed motd

Following the controversial comments made by Andy Gray and Richard Keys on having a woman lines man, it's now being heard that the female lines 'woman' in question was very upset even before kick off...When she discovered that the referee and the other lines man were wearing the same outfit as her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Personally speaking, yes, have no problem, I watch motd each week, but I really cringe sometimes listening to the presenters, Gaby Logan covered for a couple of weeks and for the first time in years I really enjoyed motd

Same here. I think the male presenters/pundits talk a mountain of sh/te tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Time for this to go away now, forced apology has been accepted by all parties and i expect all things to return to normal next week, where it won't even be alluded to.

Annoying but so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

SarahBM wrote: »
    not if you cook for yourself. now, you see, you are promoting the perception that men cant look after themselves. which I know is not true.
    you may cook yourself dinner.

back to the topic. have sky sacked Keyes and Gray yet?
    I think Georgie Thompson should get Keyes job. she is way more interesting and perhaps might even be more knowledgeable, since she hasnt been listening to Gray's BS for the last 20 years.

Not too sure what Miss Thompson looks like, but if she is one if the wans from trailer posted I am sure most men will like her. I just like the eye candy of Jamie R.

Here's the second video I was talking about yesterday.

I really wonder how this is all going to end.

And here's the sky news bulletin that shows both incidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

And here's the sky news bulletin that shows both incidents

I smell a setup .

Looking at that vid it seems to me that the reporter taking the interview prior to kick off had an agenda .

Call me paranoid but it smells .
    Still doesn't take away from the fact .

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

That started as a bit of banter, Andy Burton saying to him she's a bit of a looker etc, Gray saying he wouldn't, but then gets his 2cents in about women not knowing the offside rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'd be shocked if Gray actually thought she would not understand the offside rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

i'd be shocked if Gray actually thought she would not understand the offside rule.

It sounds like he was being controversial, just for the sake of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

K-9 wrote: »

yeah - while chatting, in private (i think he would assume) to people he may have considered to be mates.

Probably just a bit of bravado - that has massively backfired on him.

The bigger problem is whether he thinks women have a place in the game at all, the offside rule comments are just a bit of bluster imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Breaking news:

* Sky reporter Andy Burton suspended from duties over Sian Massey comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mike65 wrote: »
    Breaking news:

* Sky reporter Andy Burton suspended from duties over Sian Massey comments

Now that's an over reaction. Take a look at the match thread and how posters commented "she's hot" or whatever.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

gray is at again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cS8OkAiXCI&feature=youtu.be
    i think he will be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Regardless of ones opinion on the seriousness with which the comments should be taken, it does definitely points to a poor, potentially generally sexist atmosphere around the place.

I'm sure everyone at work makes some comments, men and women alike, about colleagues of the opposite sex etc, but they do so quietly, and sure as **** not in front of a boss, colleagues of the opposite sex etc. People are careful.

In one day, Gray is caught twice, openly, in front of a lot of people (everyone in the studio, all the camera crew) and in a position where he could be very very easily recorded. It smacks of an atmosphere where it was accepted to make these kinds of comments.

I suspect both will keep their jobs, but that behind the scenes within the studio and SkySports as a whole, this is a very deliberate warning that things have to change and become more of a professional entity than a boys club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

MD1990 wrote: »
    gray is at again

What a pig. She didn't look impressed but worry not, Richard was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I must say, I think **** like this takes away from genuine cases of sexual harassement. He didn't say it to her directly, he joked about it with his friend, he didnt say it for public consumption. Unless its replicated around her, then I'm not really getting the trouble.

Frankly, the entire game of football is fundamentally sexist. Women are not allowed on the team. They are divided up. I'm sure, sure, that there are some women footballers who are as good as some of the male footballers. That Brazilian player looks incredibly good, and looks like she could do well in at least the championship. That's the real sexist problem in football, not the referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just saw this a few minutes ago.

The lineswoman in the eyes of Gray and Keys.

230593688.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1295967168&Signature=mg4EqMJASBcX8htNIjmtWtZ0l4E%3D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

PHB wrote: »
    I must say, I think **** like this takes away from genuine cases of sexual harassement. He didn't say it to her directly, he joked about it with his friend, he didnt say it for public consumption. Unless its replicated around her, then I'm not really getting the trouble.

Frankly, the entire game of football is fundamentally sexist. Women are not allowed on the team. They are divided up. I'm sure, sure, that there are some women footballers who are as good as some of the male footballers. That Brazilian player looks incredibly good, and looks like she could do well in at least the championship. That's the real sexist problem in football, not the referees.

Oh come off it, that's like saying every sport, bar mixed doubles, is sexist. And to be perfectly blunt, there aren't women footballers that are as good as male footballers, at least not at the higher level. If you were to open both gender's football leagues to both genders (if that's what you're suggesting) you would ruin women's football overnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

K-9 wrote: »

lol andy gray wouldnt do that :D

I honestly hope these two boys are given the shove - they bring nothing to sky except stopping Redknapp from speaking while they are talking.

Honestly has anyone ever met anyone that thinks Keys and Gray are good at what they do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

MD1990 wrote: »
    gray is at again

That was taken down pretty sharpish!

Wonder how many videos of this sort there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

lol andy gray wouldnt do that :D

I honestly hope these two boys are given the shove - they bring nothing to sky except stopping Redknapp from speaking while they are talking.

Honestly has anyone ever met anyone that thinks Keys and Gray are good at what they do?

I find that to be one of the funniest parts of this whole thing, Richard Keys wondering if the female lines person understands the offside rule, i would be surprised if Richard Keys knew the rule himself, he offers absolutley nothing Sky Sports, I'm not too surprised in Gray's comments either, he has been divorced a couple times so this might explain why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

MOG7 wrote: »
    I find that to be one of the funniest parts of this whole thing, Richard Keys wondering if the female lines person understands the offside rule, i would be surprised if Richard Keys knew the rule himself, he offers absolutley nothing Sky Sports, I'm not too surprised in Gray's comments either, he has been divorced a couple times so this might explain why.

True and in this HD age his hairy hands just don't work.

Latest caught on tape remarks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

What Gray and Keys said was much worse than Andy Burton saying she's a bit of a looker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

180527_172592186119541_100001062822368_404783_7518951_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Surely Andy Burton hasn't been suspended for just saying she's a bit of a looker? That is OTT to the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Has anyone mentioned Sepp Blatter and his women-should-play-in-hotpants comments? Surely that's more damaging to women's football than these two dinosaurs joking off air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

SantryRed wrote: »
    Surely Andy Burton hasn't been suspended for just saying she's a bit of a looker? That is OTT to the extreme.

did he not say that someone told him she was, that he didn't actually say it?

The whole thing is getting out of bloody hand now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Has anyone mentioned Sepp Blatter and his women-should-play-in-hotpants comments? Surely that's more damaging to women's football than these two dinosaurs joking off air.

Well lets be honest, if they were playing in hot pants might get the attendences up.

playing a world cup in front of your friends and familiy must be a bit demoralising.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement