Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Quote

Options
  • 23-01-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi

Any thoughts/opinions greatly apreciated.

I have recently received a quote of €1500 incl VAT for the following for 4 bed house:

13 downstairs windows, 6 upstairs.
    Front Door, back door, 1 set of French Doors.

HKC Securewave system
    Includes GSM Dialler (€150 incl VAT)
    Panic Button in bedroom.
    1 x Smoke Detector linked to alarm on landing.

Monitoring €15 per month with Phonewatch (not sure how long contract is for?)
    Service Contract €120 incl VAT per year or €40 per service call out.

Questions
    1. Does this seem reasonable?
    2. Been doing some research on Boards and it seems that a well protected phoneline is better than a GSM Dialler? Will the GSM Diallers become a thing of the past soon enough?
    3. Are the smoke dectectors worth it? Been told by installer that it contacts fire brigade - don't want to have to pay for unnecessary call outs by fire brigade.
    4. Is it worth getting a panic button in bedroom?

Thanks in advance for all opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

pumpit2010 wrote: »
    Questions
    The prices are around average. €300 per annum for monitoring & maintenance is not bad providing it covers all callouts. Beware, some companies try to limit you to 2 callouts (Some even 1) and charge you well after that.
    2. Been doing some research on Boards and it seems that a well protected phoneline is better than a GSM Dialler? Will the GSM Diallers become a thing of the past soon enough?
    A secured landline is the preferred option. I would not recommend monitoring via a GSM. In fact we only accept them with the customer putting in writing they are aware of the risks. I am amazed Eircom PW are not covering themselves on this.
    I believe GSM will not be recognised by insurance companies as a reliable form of monitoring in the near future.
    3. Are the smoke dectectors worth it? Been told by installer that it contacts fire brigade - don't want to have to pay for unnecessary call outs by fire brigade.
    The fire brigade is only called if no contact can be made with keyholders or no keyholders can attend. You can agree in writing with your monitoring station how you wish such calls to be actioned.
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Questions
    Yes it seems a reasonable price. I would insist of getting the HKC GSM installed if you decide to use the GSM, it will also give you remote access to the alarm plus if you did decide not to have it monitored you could put your own numbers into the GSM for it to text you up to 19 other people.

A protected phone line is the best option but these can be cut also. I dont think they will. Most people who want to be able to have remote access to the alarm use GSM.

It contacts the monitoring station. The smoke alarm should not be installed where you are going to get false alarms.

Yes it is or else get a second keypad installed if the cable is there. There is a panic button built into it.

Advertisement