Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Locked in After Hours....

Options
  • 23-01-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I wrote a thread in After Hours about the Padraig Harrington incident in Abu Dhabi

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056156425

I clearly stated that I posted it there as I was looking for the view of the Irish nation, not just people interested in Golf. Padraig winning could have been one of the few good news stories for Ireland so far in 2011. Thats why I wanted peoples opinions on the fact that a person can influence a major world event for their own armchair. It wasnt a Golf debate. It was a thread allowing anyone to air their opinion on the incident whether they followed Golf or not.

But Sharpshooter locked my thread. Suggested I go to the Golf forum. This is what is annoying me. Why the double standards. What topics are allowed in AH's? Why are there so any threads there on politics? Why are none of these locked? Why is there a thread on Jim Corr on the Late Late? Should that not be in the TV forum or is it left there because Jim Corr is an easy target for the After Hours regulars?

Bit of consistency would be much appreciated.

Apologies, I meant to post this thread in the Helpdesk forum.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm not sure it would have made any difference but your opening post would not have made any sense to anyone not interested in golf. You were talking about a specific incident in a specific tournament but you didn't give any kind of background as to what you were talking about. If you had made a more general thread on snitching and used this as an example, while explaining exactly what it was you were on about, the thread probably would not have been locked or moved. As it stands, what you opened was a very specific golf thread and belonged in the golf forum.

If you look through feedback you'll see there's a thread like this one at least every couple of days. If you don't understand why a thread doesn't belong in AH, imagine starting a conversation on the same theme with a stranger you meet at a bar counter. Unless you give him some sort of context and unless he's obviously interested in the subject (e.g. golf) the chances are he's not going to want to talk to you. He might, out of politeness, but he'll be thinking "who is this guy and why is he talking to me about golf?"

Whatever happened (and I haven't bothered looking it up, even with a passing interest in the sport myself) was by no means a major world event and I don't understand how you could expect someone who didn't follow golf to have an opinion to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

The Harrington incident was well publicised in the media the last few days so most people would have known what I was talking about. Just look through the comments in the thread. It was getting plenty of feedback and most people knew what I was referring to and airing their own opinions on it. They probably wouldnt have done this in the Golf forum if they felt their knowledge of the sport was limited so it was giving people another outlet to get involved in the debate.

You say this kind of thread appears every few days. Well maybe thats because of the lack of consistency in After Hours. As I pointed out some threads that may not necessarily belong in AHs are left there while others arent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Closing this as the OP has a thread open in Help Desk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement