Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet rafters ?!

• 23-01-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I have just discovered that all of my rafters on the North facing slope of my roof are wet !?

The slates are not out of place and so I cannot figure out why they are so wet. They have obliviously been dripping also as the insulation beneath is damp. This is only the North side.

Condensation/circulation ?? What can be causing this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

I have just discovered that all of my rafters on the North facing slope of my roof are wet !?

The slates are not out of place and so I cannot figure out why they are so wet. They have obliviously been dripping also as the insulation beneath is damp. This is only the North side.

Condensation/circulation ?? What can be causing this ?

Condensation most likely.
    You need to check that the attic is adequately ventilated and that ventilation channels have not been blocked by, for instance, insulation at the eves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Same thing happened to me, was condensation. You can buy a dehumidifier box in lidl at the moment for €6, works well in the short term, but long term you will need to ensure all your vents are unobstructed so outside air can circulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

Similiar DIY thread here
    Condensation in attic - possible causes
    Went into my attic this evening. Saw some damp patches on the insulated flooring section. The felt overhead was damp, and there was evidence of water staining on the roof trusses. Thought I might have a leak, but then it dawned on me that the damp was ONLY ON THE NORTH FACING section of the roof. So I assume its condensation from warm air entering the attic space (the North face will be colder, particularly in this weather).

I checked the pipe from the en-suite shower fan, there was a small hole, though I doubt it is big enough to be the source of the problem (though I maybe wrong).

Anyone experience a similar problem?.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Hmmmm thought as much. I'll check the eaves.

Thanks a million

Advertisement