Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat & Saorview

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

tdbaile wrote: »
    Looking to replace current Sky+ box with a combo box for Freesat & Saorview.

Do they exist? Will this one http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdrfoxt2.aspx do the job?

Would like to record both types of channels also.

humax freesat+ records uk freesat

Humax freeviewhd+ records saorview
    I recorded 'the big easy' last night on 3e so I can fast forward the ads on 3e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

Won't do the trick unfortunately unless you're living near the border and can pick up BBC/ITV through an aerial.

You need something like the Edision Combo.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-argus-vip2-combo-receiver.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tdbaile

thanks for the reply. I'm still a bit confused. Will the box i linked to display and record both i.e. will I be able to plug the satellite dish and aerial into this box and record from both?

tdbaile wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. I'm still a bit confused. Will the box i linked to display and record both i.e. will I be able to plug the satellite dish and aerial into this box and record from both?

No, but the one I linked to will.

The box you linked to is a standalone Freesat HD/ Saorview box and won't work with a satellite dish.

The box I posted has two inputs, one for aerial and one for satellite.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The box you linked to is a standalone Freesat HD/ Saorview box and won't work with a satellite dish.

He linked to a FreeVIEW HD box just to clarify

He linked to a FreeVIEW HD box just to clarify

Sorry a typo on my behalf I meant freeview HD / saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

As an alternative to the Humax HDR-FOX T2 to record the saorview services, how about an LG MS400H. however, an external hard drive is required, which will bring the total price up close to a Humax HDR-FOX T2 again.

It would be great if Humax would make a combo freesat PVR box but there's no market for a box like that in the UK or if Sony was to make a blu ray recorder/ HDD (500Gb) with DVB-T2 turners, I'll buy that on the spot!

PS I know Panasonic make a box with blu ray recorder/ HDD (500Gb) with DVB-T2 turners, but I have heard about firmware issues with Saorview in their TV's.

Just to clarify - the Humax box does not have Freesat, Saorview (Irish DTT) and recording capability.

The Edision Argus does.

I was also reading about an MVision box. Will this do the trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Does Argos do Freesat EPG and MHEG5 on Saorview and Freesat? I think not. It does FTA satellite and FTA DTT MPEG4. But not Freesat or 100% Irish Digital Compatible, No Red button Interactive ot MHEG5 Text on either?

I could be wrong. But that's my impression.

Freesat compatibility implies Freesat EPG and MHEG5.

• Advertisement

The TVTrade guys have a demo of it on Youtube somewhere it would probably answer that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

ftakeith wrote: »
    humax freesat+ records uk freesat

Humax freeviewhd+ records saorview
    I recorded 'the big easy' last night on 3e so I can fast forward the ads on 3e

@tdbaile
    Just to clarify - there was two very different Humax boxes mentioned here!

The Humax FOXSAT-HDR box is for the free channels from the "SKY" satellite, but NO Irish (RTE) channels are part of the Freesat platform, this box has a full EPG for the 7 days and it can record "series link" - much like sky+. As you have SKY+ all you need do is put the two satellite cables from SKY+ box in to the Humax HDR-FOXSAT+ box. The Freesat platform of channels is similar to SKY as it will add or remove channels automatically. However, it hasn't all the free-to-air channels - one you may miss is SKY News, you can add channels much like SKY's method in Other Channels in this case its's "Non-Freesat" mode. If you want to watch Irish channels (Saorview) you need an aerial and hopefully your TV is capable to receive the Saorview service! If not, then you'll need another set top box (STB) to receive Saorview!

The other Humax mentioned above is the Humax HDR-FOX T2 (which you linked to in your first post) this is for Freeview HD channels in the UK - NOT satellite channels, but this box "could" be used to view & record Saorview here. However, RTE is still to setup "series link" on the Saorview platform, so getting this box now could be a risk as the "series link" may not work with the future RTE code when it is up and running. This box should (ftakeith can confirm) have the full 7 day EPG for Saorview. If so, Keith can you setup a recording via the EPG or have you to setup start/stop times in the SCHEDULE menu?

The Edision Argus mentioned above or the MVision HD300 Combo can do both satellite and terrestrial (Saorview) in one box (aerial required). The channels can be stored any way you like - not like SKY. However, these boxes have some down sides, your SKY+ or the Humax FOXSAT-HDR have two satellite tuners - so you can record one channel and still watch any other channel you like from that box. The Edision and the Mvision only have one satellite tuner and the second tuner is for terrestrial. These combo boxes will have a full EPG for the terrestrial channels it receives from Saorview, but it will only have "now and next" on the satellite channels. If you want to record with these boxes, you need a external hard drive (HDD) and setup the recording schedule much like an old VCR with start times and stop times. When a combo box is recording a channel (say BBC1 from the satellite tuner) you are then left with ONLY the terrestrial tuners channels to watch or a pre-recorded programme from the HDD. You will also have to add the new channels yourself.

If you only want to watch some free TV channels and not record to much, then the combo box is the answer, but if you record lots of programmes already with SKY+ and like to FF thro' the ads - you should start looking at the Humax Foxsat-HDR and maybe a Humax HDR-FOX T2 or combo box too, to view and record the Saorview service... I currently have a Humax Foxsat-HDR and it's great for what I want, the TV has Saorview! I'm going to sit on the fence for a few more months before I start to consider a recorder for Saorview...

I hope this is a little clearer! (Bet your sorry you ask now!:rolleyes:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

GeneHunt wrote: »
    @tdbaile
    Just to clarify - there was two very different Humax boxes mentioned here!

The Humax FOXSAT-HDR box is for the free channels from the "SKY" satellite, but NO Irish (RTE) channels are part of the Freesat platform, this box has a full EPG for the 7 days and it can record "series link" - much like sky+. As you have SKY+ all you need do is put the two satellite cables from SKY+ box in to the Humax HDR-FOXSAT+ box. The Freesat platform of channels is similar to SKY as it will add or remove channels automatically. However, it hasn't all the free-to-air channels - one you may miss is SKY News, you can add channels much like SKY's method in Other Channels in this case its's "Non-Freesat" mode. If you want to watch Irish channels (Saorview) you need an aerial and hopefully your TV is capable to receive the Saorview service! If not, then you'll need another set top box (STB) to receive Saorview!

The other Humax mentioned above is the Humax HDR-FOX T2 (which you linked to in your first post) this is for Freeview HD channels in the UK - NOT satellite channels, but this box "could" be used to view & record Saorview here. However, RTE is still to setup "series link" on the Saorview platform, so getting this box now could be a risk as the "series link" may not work with the future RTE code when it is up and running. This box should (ftakeith can confirm) have the full 7 day EPG for Saorview. If so, Keith can you setup a recording via the EPG or have you to setup start/stop times in the SCHEDULE menu?

The Edision Argus mentioned above or the MVision HD300 Combo can do both satellite and terrestrial (Saorview) in one box (aerial required). The channels can be stored any way you like - not like SKY. However, these boxes have some down sides, your SKY+ or the Humax FOXSAT-HDR have two satellite tuners - so you can record one channel and still watch any other channel you like from that box. The Edision and the Mvision only have one satellite tuner and the second tuner is for terrestrial. These combo boxes will have a full EPG for the terrestrial channels it receives from Saorview, but it will only have "now and next" on the satellite channels. If you want to record with these boxes, you need a external hard drive (HDD) and setup the recording schedule much like an old VCR with start times and stop times. When a combo box is recording a channel (say BBC1 from the satellite tuner) you are then left with ONLY the terrestrial tuners channels to watch or a pre-recorded programme from the HDD. You will also have to add the new channels yourself.

If you only want to watch some free TV channels and not record to much, then the combo box is the answer, but if you record lots of programmes already with SKY+ and like to FF thro' the ads - you should start looking at the Humax Foxsat-HDR and maybe a Humax HDR-FOX T2 or combo box too, to view and record the Saorview service... I currently have a Humax Foxsat-HDR and it's great for what I want, the TV has Saorview! I'm going to sit on the fence for a few more months before I start to consider a recorder for Saorview...

I hope this is a little clearer! (Bet your sorry you ask now!:rolleyes:)

humax freeviewhd+ has a 6 days epg, I only record films and malcolm in the middle on saorview, I recorded all the saorview tv channels so far, the humax freesat+ remote also works on the humax freeview hd+

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tonymayo

I have a Foxsat HDR for the past two years and it is a wonderful receiver.
    I am considering buying a HDR Fox T2, but before that I would like to clarify a few of points if anyone can help.

1. Can anyone confirm that the box displays a full Saorview 7-day epg from which you can schedule recordings.

2. Will the HDR Fox T2 be able to connect to the RTE iPlayer whenever it is streamed to Saorview boxes

3. Is series link likely to work on this box once implemented by Saorview.

1) It will do same EPG as anything else at the Minute. RTENL hasn't launched either a Series Link or MHEG5 Guide. If they do series link and Guide via MHEG5 app, then it will work.

2) If the ethernet is accessible to MHEG5 and RTE launch an MHEG5 integration app for RTE Player, yes. They have some plan in this area, otherwise no. But that applies to ANYTHING.

3) If Series link uses MHEG5 or the UK method on DVB-T Freeview, then probably. But there is no series link at present.

If you want buy it now. If you are cautious wait till after RTE NL launch the additional services and the people already with HDR Fox T2 report. (there are a few on Boards here using HDR Fox T2 for Wales HD and Saorview)

Thanks for that Watty. Very helpful and informative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

So just to clarify this (sorry lads I'm a bit of a noobie to this lark)...if I bought this Edision Argus VIP2 Combo Receiver I can simply plug the TV ariel and coax from the Sky dish (I already have both) and have all the fta UK channels and the Irish channels on one box? The telly I have has a built in dtt tuner but it's not compatible with the saorview thing though I can see a channel line up for it when I click "digital tv" on the remote...I just get no signal. Also, what's the story with piping this to three rooms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

O'Prez wrote: »
    So just to clarify this (sorry lads I'm a bit of a noobie to this lark)...if I bought this Edision Argus VIP2 Combo Receiver I can simply plug the TV ariel and coax from the Sky dish (I already have both) and have all the fta UK channels and the Irish channels on one box?
    YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

THANKS John :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Just one caveat - with the combos the channel line-up is actually a lookup in the box somewhere and when the channels move (the BBC changed a lot recently for the launch of BBC1 HD, you have to reprogram it. This is relatively straightforward, but still a pain.

With Freesat, it's completely automatic - updates are pushed to the boxes over the air.

I have the Humax Freesat recorder and it's fantastic. Even on SD, the picture quality is very good.

Good luck with your choices!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Just one caveat - with the combos the channel line-up is actually a lookup in the box somewhere and when the channels move (the BBC changed a lot recently for the launch of BBC1 HD, you have to reprogram it. This is relatively straightforward, but still a pain.

With Freesat, it's completely automatic - updates are pushed to the boxes over the air.

I have the Humax Freesat recorder and it's fantastic. Even on SD, the picture quality is very good.

Good luck with your choices!

Freesat boxes do not do the Irish stations though!

HD Combo boxes do.

I wonder if Saorview updates will be automatically received by Humax HDR Fox T2.
    Does anyone know answer to this?
    I have gone ahead and ordered the box, but this issue has only occured to me since.
    Also am I right in saying that software updates for the Fox T2 receiver will have to be done via USB as no signal from Freeview in my part of Mayo.

tonymayo wrote: »
    I wonder if Saorview updates will be automatically received by Humax HDR Fox T2.
    Does anyone know answer to this?
    I have gone ahead and ordered the box, but this issue has only occured to me since.
    Also am I right in saying that software updates for the Fox T2 receiver will have to be done via USB as no signal from Freeview in my part of Mayo.

No they wont. Only certified Saorview products will be supported in over the air downloads.

Why you are using a UK spec HD box in Mayo is beyond me!

I should have taken Watty's advice!
    Could be worse.
    Maybe the box will be included as Soarview approved at some point in the future.

Dont get me wrong it willl work fine.

But..... (there is always one!) they are not for mainstream use in Ireland. No. 1 they are expensive. No.2 unless used in a border/overspill area, they are usless UK reception which is their appeal in the first place.

Two Combo boxes that combines Irish DTT and UK/Whatever Satelllite could have been bought for roughly the same money.

You may be able to apply updates manually via USB, but never OTA.

The Humax HDR Fox T2 isn't that expensive for what it does PVR wise. It will support MHEG5 which most of the cheap solutions won't. We have no idea if a Humax HDR Fox T2 will work with Irish series link. But more chance of it than a non-UK and non-Saorview box.

There will later in the year be two Multiplexes and probably MHEG5 EPG and series link which will make some of the cheap combo "PVR" boxes look less good.

We will have no idea how good a "Freesat HD" PVR will be either till later in the year. But it's unlikey we will see an economic true DTT /Sat PVR (2 xDTT + 2 x Sat and internal HDD) with MHEG5 and true Freesat EPG support.

The new Triax combo with Saorview on DTT and FTA HD on Satellite might have some kind of Internet based EPG for Satellite.

It's early months yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

STB wrote: »
    Freesat boxes do not do the Irish stations though!

HD Combo boxes do.

Yes, of course - I mean that you might consider two boxes which work 100% reliably (one for Saorview, one for Freesat) than a combo which needs updating, doesn't easily do series link, won't let you record satellite when watching terrestrial etc....

Is there any combo box apart from the soon to be released Triax that has MHEG5?
    Any Combo box less than price of Humax HDR Fox T2 that has four tuners?

Curious, as the situation is not static.

IMO even if we ignore Saorview certification you need MHEG5 to be Irish Digital TV compatible. Not having it is "partial" compatibility.

I've also grown to hate non-Sky or non-Freesat generic FTA Satellite receivers.

Sky box is dying... Clickying through all the streams of BBC Interactive on the PC based quad tuner PVR for the Wife... "Is that the match you want?" (Though in small hours she has been watching Eurosport Germany for the Tennis).

Advertisement