Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Gear, back on tonight

• 23-01-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

At 8pm on BBC 2!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

whhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttt!? woohoo! :D sure its not a repeat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I don't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nice one, put it on series link :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Mr.Boots >>>>>goes out to buy popcorn
    Hope they made a good effort with this series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Mr.Boots >>>>>goes out to buy popcorn
    Hope they made a good effort with this series.

even if they didn't it will still probably be ahead of whats usually on at that time.

finally something to watch on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Skoda on top gear yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D:D:D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Think I heard somewhere that the producers thought it was turning into a joke and its being made a bit more serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

nice one Captain Slow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

pajero12 wrote: »
    Think I heard somewhere that the producers thought it was turning into a joke and its being made a bit more serious?

I hope that is true and they drop the cringe inducing news section. There is no point to it other than a Clarkson rant that we've seen a million times before and some no doubt hilarious car related wacky product they found on the internet.

They have went way overboard with the comedy attempts to the extent that genuinely funny moments get lost amongst the rest of the unfunny nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I actually like the news, but getting sick of star in a reasonably priced car, they should do it in an M3 or something make it a bit more fun.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I actually like the news, but getting sick of star in a reasonably priced car, they should do it in an M3 or something make it a bit more fun.

always hated the SIRPC part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

always hated the SIRPC part.

Needs more totty... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Thanks OP!

It is on BBC HD also, sweet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Yay

the only thing left on d'telly still worth watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

Do you not think it's a bit formulaic now at this stage?

1. Blow something up
    2. Review a supercar with camera shots so fast we never actually see the car
    3. Three people race each other from a to b in some mode of transport with a nail biting climax and just a millisecond in it at the end.
    4. Star in reasonably priced car (run out of Europeans, now using horrendous American ego heads)

And that's it basically. That's been it for the past 8 years. And boy does it get repeated. Oh and let's not forget the importance of Hammond's hairstyle. He's an inspiration to us all.

The show was great for a while, but the formula needs a tweak every now and then wouldn't you say ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

When will Top Gear end? I eagerly await that day.

dnme wrote: »
    Do you not think it's a bit formulaic now at this stage?

1. Blow something up
    2. Review a supercar with camera shots so fast we never actually see the car
    3. Three people race each other from a to b in some mode of transport with a nail biting climax and just a millisecond in it at the end.
    4. Star in reasonably priced car (run out of Europeans, now using horrendous American ego heads)

And that's it basically. That's been it for the past 8 years. And boy does it get repeated. Oh and let's not forget the importance of Hammond's hairstyle. He's an inspiration to us all.

The show was great for a while, but the formula needs a tweak every now and then wouldn't you say ?

Yes I agree at any rate

but the formula though a bit tired (or a lot) is still more watchable than most of the crap on tv and is still one of the few good car/motors related shows on tv

barring

fifth gear
    twist the throttle (horrendous americanised voice overs abound and repeated ad nauseum)
    a car is born/bike is born (reeeeepeeeeat)
    and the new cafe racer series

I cant think of much else half decent motor related stuff on tv

put it this way I would take it in a heartbeat over another text in who you think is less sh1te and give us your money in the process talent show

+ and this is more suitable for tv forum probably but networks keep cancelling semi entertaining shows like flash forward and life in favour of tripe like v and putting on stuff that requires less and less intelligence or interest in suspense/mystery to follow imo

paranoid me thinks its only a matter of time until some executive prematurely pulls plug on

fringe
    trueblood
    the event (maybe thats already gone)

and replaces it with

strictly go fcuk youself celebrity special (actually I would pay to see that:D) or all ireland cringeworthy talentless show hosted by an cailin deas

ah tis all subjective I suppose but I rate top gear relative to the bull plop I feel its up against and it wins hands down imo

anyway...rant over

sorry

...sorry!

Confab wrote: »

meh to each his own

grrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

James is driving the new ariel atom and jeremy tests the skoda yeti tonight.

• Advertisement

I doubt he will like the Yeti :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I never liked the whole race across europe idea. Its so false & when you imagine the true stop start nature of it due to filming etc, its a bit of a joke. Its a waste of precious time on an otherwise excellent show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It's kak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I want them to build more "inventions" like that classic the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust. I'd also love for them to make a mini series where they'd drive from the Cape to Cairo and from London to Sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I think it's funny that my favourite episode and I know it to be many people's favourite as well is one with no cars in it.

The vietnam special :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,327 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I read somewhere recently that they reckon everyone goes out and makes a brew when the star in a reasonably priced car bit comes on when. There is a noticable surge in electricity usage at around that time.

There was an exception of course, when Cameron Diaz was in the Kia, everyone waited for Tom Cruise to drive it before putting the kettle on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

squod wrote: »
    It's kak.

Prefer Glee, do you? :p
    Anyways.
    99% of telly is being made for brain dead 13 year olds. The target IQ is about 65 max. I know of people who actually say stuff like "I really like Matt Cardle I bought his single and played it over and over and over again".
    Compared to that Top Gear is high art (and it isn't).
    Funny, isn't it that tv channels on Sky go from 000 to 999, plus radio channels, but has the amount of new content increased? Is there a new show every night?
    I think there was more new content every day in the 70's when there where only about 3 channels combined over Ireland and the UK.
    99.999999999999999999999999999999% of telly programs are kak, TG isn't.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

that hammond is a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

is there anyway to watch this online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

mickdw wrote: »
    I never liked the whole race across europe idea. Its so false & when you imagine the true stop start nature of it due to filming etc, its a bit of a joke. Its a waste of precious time on an otherwise excellent show.

I'll have to find the article but the race is in real time, they just go back to get shots of the cars, trains etc. The Bugatti race, most of the outside shots are of the Stig driving taken a week or so after. Remember, always question when your watching tv, what AM I watching? Its not always as it seems. The latest special was a let down in this regard, very staged.

However, tonight I'm having an open mind. See what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    that hammond is a twat.

He's dead on from what I've heard.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'll have to find the article but the race is in real time, they just go back to get shots of the cars, trains etc. The Bugatti race, most of the outside shots are of the Stig driving taken a week or so after. Remember, always question when your watching tv, what AM I watching? Its not always as it seems. The latest special was a let down in this regard, very staged.

However, tonight I'm having an open mind. See what happens.

I think thats what he was questioning dude....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Lazy prats haven't changed a damn thing.
    Same rather tired old format.

I think its time for Fifth Gear to become my number one now, Top Gear relegated to second place!! For shame!

Tiff and Jason are much more watchable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think its time for Fifth Gear to become my number one now, Top Gear relegated to second place!! For shame!

It's been a great episode tbh, if you don't like it then don't watch.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Is this repeated ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I doubt he will like the Yeti :p

Ja reckon?

Bah, seen this car drop one on mythbusters before.

Originally was a lexus advert - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLqVlHzn68

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

And Tiff was on this again tonight. Double jobbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

sharkman wrote: »
    Is this repeated ?

I think it's repeated later on in the week on BBC 3, otherwise try FinalGear.

EDIT: Seems it's repeated on Wednesday at 7pm on BBC HD if you have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Well that was an hour of my life I won't get back.

A dire show that just shows they really are on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I thought that was disappointing. They should just remove the cars entirely out of the show and it wouldn't seem any different.

TheBazman wrote: »
    And Tiff was on this again tonight. Double jobbing.

That 911 turbo convertible test was absolutely sh!te..

But thankfully Tiff & Fifth Gear recently made a much better job of it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It was that or watch The Kardashians and Kendra on E! and in that case Top Gear is still ahead for me.
    Yeah it's the same formula and Clarkson's car tests get ever more ridiculous, but I still like it, and who here can honestly say 5th Gear isn't formulaic?
    Anyways, as long as Wheeler Dealers is on there's still something worth watching.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I thought it was a pretty decent episode tonight. There wasn't quite as much of the dumbass scripted crap in the studio.
    Confab wrote: »

Does someone tie you to a chair and force you to watch it? Coz otherwise you could just, you know, turn it off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That 911 turbo convertible test was absolutely sh!te..

But thankfully Tiff & Fifth Gear recently made a much better job of it!
    That clip with Tiff driving & Plato looking on was fabulous. Plato looks genuinely terrified :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Watched on HD & the sound was slightly out of time with the pictures. I thought it was a reasonable show but the skoda stuff was sh1te as was the 911 piece.

hmmm wrote: »
    That clip with Tiff driving & Plato looking on was fabulous. Plato looks genuinely terrified :D

Yeah, they put an outtakes reel up on youtube with some extra footage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

mickdw wrote: »
    Watched on HD & the sound was slightly out of time with the pictures. I thought it was a reasonable show but the skoda stuff was sh1te as was the 911 piece.

I watched on HD and the sound was fine, were you watching on a Sky HD box? (which has loads of problems this last week?) I was watching on my Freesat tv.

It was a good enough episode and "the news" was great, Star in a reasnobly priced car was its usual bore and the jackass made a crude joke about the Irish famine which the lemmings in the crowd lapped up. Fecking dickwads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the Top Gear forum. Damn....missed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

It was utter kack. I'm sick and tired of these silly tests and competitions. They don't review cars anymore.

Fifth Gear all the way - Tiff Needell, Jason Plato, VB Henderson and now Ben Collins (the Stig) - ALL racing drivers and ALL with opinions that actually matter and with judgement you can trust if you are looking to buy a car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement