Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

China (solo)

• 23-01-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all
    i want to go to China on my own for about 3 weeks in summer time so i have 2 questions:

1. As i am non irish national will i have any problems getting visa here in dublin. I know visa is only for 3 months. So is it good to book flights now before prices go up, and apply for visa later?

2. Has ony any experience from China when traveling alone. I am going to travel a lot alot and i am just concerned about safety beeing on my own.

Thanks!

Comments

mrooqie wrote: »
    Hi all
    i want to go to China on my own for about 3 weeks in summer time so i have 2 questions:

1. As i am non irish national will i have any problems getting visa here in dublin. I know visa is only for 3 months. So is it good to book flights now before prices go up, and apply for visa later?

Get your visa first. Anything can happen during the visa process and you don't want to be caught out.
    2. Has ony any experience from China when traveling alone. I am going to travel a lot alot and i am just concerned about safety beeing on my own. Thanks!

Safety isn't so much an issue. As long as you keep out of dark alleyways and be a touch careful with overly friendly travelers you should be fine. TBH you'll face more trouble with other foreign travelers than the Chinese themselves. It really depends where in China you're heading to. Chinese authorities have a zero tolerance policy towards serious crimes against foreigners/tourists, so the Chinese tend to target each other instead of us, although there is always the risk of minor crime like pickpockets and such. A bit of common sense and you'll be fine. (make sure you have small change/notes rather than carrying bundles of 100's everywhere - I used to keep 400rmb in my boots as a emergency reserve)

I'd recommend reading up on the common scams since you're likely to encounter them all at one stage or another. Definitely, learn some Chinese in addition to Pinyin. There will be many times where you'll be surrounded by people whose only English is Hello or Sorry.

I've lived in China (Xi'an)previously, and I'm moving back there in February. You'll have a blast. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

Thanks klaz for yr reply!
    I'll follow your recommendation and and get visa first and hope flights will cost me the same in April like now. i want to spend 3-5 days in Beijing and Xian each .I Also would like to go the city of Dandong by train but here basic chinese would be recommended as it is not the common tourist destination

Having Chinese helps regardless of where you are. Flights might end up being slightly cheaper in April than now, since we're starting Chinese new year so travel shoots up in price. Plenty of Chinese coming home from abroad to take up plane seats.

I've mostly used ebookers for my flights to China (and Xi'an), and they usually cost me about €950 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

I checked BA website 2 weeks ago and prices were 550 return, i checked it yesterday and they bumped up to 750. i have to wait till April and then make a booking

Advertisement