Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden flooring - offers anywhere ?

Options
  • 23-01-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I changing the floor at the moment - hope this one will last a looong time

I have three kids so need a decent hardwearing floor - am thinking of a solid/semi solid wooden floor that can be sanded in the future if need be

Any good offers anywhere ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 torres123

well i have 13 years experience in wood flooring. in my opinion what you need is a good quality laminate floor. semi solid, engineered, or solid will all mark especially with kids. now laminates range from 4.99 to 30.00 plus.. the old saying you get what you pay for couldnt be more true when its comes to laminates..the cheap stuff is rubbish.. the best brand of laminate in my opinion is quickstep..it has high scratch resistance properties and is very realistic looking. it also has a locking system so youll never have gaps appearing in your floor. its colourfast as well which means it wont fade from natural light.hope this is of some help to you.. if there is anything more i can help you with, just ask..
    p.s i do not work for quick step
    i can offer you advice on all the different types of floors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Well even with kids a solid hardwood floor in say oak maple or ash is hard wearing. Avoid the likes of birch, cherry or walnut as these mark easier. The beauty of a real floor or a decent (5mm veneer) engineered board is that they can be sanded after a few years when the kids are older and finish brand new.
    Spending decent money on a laminate to me is a bit daft as you will probably end up replacing the floor after a few years, not because the quality as the expensive laminates are very good floors but because at the end of the day it is an imitation floor.
    Fine for bedrooms or playrooms but in my eyes stick with solid or engineered for your main rooms and halls.
    Solid oak would be €25m2, engineered oak similar price. Birch , maple etc would be a bit dearer in both but not as popular.
    PM me if you need any advice, I sell all types of flooring but may be able to recommend some dealers etc in your area if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rulo

Hi check out www.architecturalflooring.ie for any information or help you need in choosing timber flooring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 torres123

buck65 wrote: »
    Well even with kids a solid hardwood floor in say oak maple or ash is hard wearing. Avoid the likes of birch, cherry or walnut as these mark easier. The beauty of a real floor or a decent (5mm veneer) engineered board is that they can be sanded after a few years when the kids are older and finish brand new.
    Spending decent money on a laminate to me is a bit daft as you will probably end up replacing the floor after a few years, not because the quality as the expensive laminates are very good floors but because at the end of the day it is an imitation floor.
    Fine for bedrooms or playrooms but in my eyes stick with solid or engineered for your main rooms and halls.
    Solid oak would be €25m2, engineered oak similar price. Birch , maple etc would be a bit dearer in both but not as popular.
    PM me if you need any advice, I sell all types of flooring but may be able to recommend some dealers etc in your area if I can.

it all depends on the customers needs, i personally wouldnt advise solid or engineered with 3 kids, the other problem i would like to point out is solid oak or engineered unless its a click locking system you will have gaps appearing in the floor once the floor expands. if your going for solid i would highly reccomend you go for Canadain solid wood. best finished solid wood in every way, quality and precision of the tounge and groove meaning perfect fit. although it is more expensive but a floor is an investment and if you choose the right one it will last a lifetime..
    pm me if you need any further information

Advertisement