Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC Limit

Options
  • 23-01-2011 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey all, just got a credit card there. Only thing is the limit is low 650. Does anyone know if UB increases the limit every so often or not? The last card i had they just up'd it every few months or so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

credit card companys aren't allowed to increase your limit without telling you any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you need it to make a large purchase you can lodge the money on to the card so say you add €1350 to it you can now purchase goods to a limit of €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ask for a limit increase, offer to Fax them a copy of the last statement from your old CC to show the limit you previously had. If you have a good credit history they'll be more than happy to increase the limit, mine is over 9,000 though I doubt if I've ever gone above 3,000 in any month.

Historically they just kept giving good customers unsolicited increases in the hope that they'd spend up to the limit and the CC company would get some income from interest, they can't do this any more as an earlier poster said so you have to now ask for an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

If you need it to make a large purchase you can lodge the money on to the card so say you add €1350 to it you can now purchase goods to a limit of €2000.

That doesn't work.
    A friend of mine put a grand in his credit card and went to buy something for 2 grand (limit was 1,600) and he was denied, phoned up and was told they don't work like that.

Every 6 months you can apply for an increase, at least that's how it works with my card.

coylemj wrote: »
    If you have a good credit history they'll be more than happy to increase the limit, mine is over 9,000 though I doubt if I've ever gone above 3,000 in any month.
    Over nine thousand?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

/\/ollog wrote: »
    That doesn't work.
    A friend of mine put a grand in his credit card and went to buy something for 2 grand (limit was 1,600) and he was denied, phoned up and was told they don't work like that.

Every 6 months you can apply for an increase, at least that's how it works with my card.

Over nine thousand?!

Depends on the card issuer to be honest. I can load mine up if i want. Used to have a 4k limit and could increase or decrease it at will, provided there was 6 months between adjustments.

A problem i encountered, is that they were getting no interest out of me, they tried everything, (credit card cheques through the post etc) so they took the limit off me and reduced it to 1k. I still dont spend on it and if i do i pay it off online that night. Been sitting there gathering dust, dont really need it, visa debit is good enough for 99% of uses a credit card is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Over nine thousand?!

Yes, I pay the full balance every month and the a/c is over 20 years old, started off as an Access card, now it's Mastercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Treat your credit card as an emergency device.

When you're looking to purchase something for more than you have, just save until you DO have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

I have 2 cards,one with a limit of 11k and the other 15k.Obviously they used to give out cards with much bigger limits!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Not allowed, but varies from bank to bank. Its a credit card not a current account.

That doesn't work.

See....
    Paolo1982 wrote: »
    Hey all, just got a credit card there. Only thing is the limit is low 650. Does anyone know if UB increases the limit every so often or not? The last card i had they just up'd it every few months or so.

Its the standard limit for new accounts. As said use another CC Statement and she can they match.

Advertisement