Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S^3 apps & games (N8, C7, C6, E7 etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Actually, the "^3" part has been dropped, which is just as well, because nobody knew how to pronounce it properly ("hat-three?" "to-the-power-of-three"? "ASCII-circumflex-three"?)

In terms of the old naming,
    Symbian Anna = Symbian^3, release 2
    Symbian Belle = Symbian^4, but only from a user's perspective; from a developer's perspective, Symbian^4 was a very different thing to Belle.

The release after Belle is rumoured to be called "Christina", incidentally. No news about what's in it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I would love0o know where you got that logic from Anna is actually PR 2.1

2.0, 2.1, 2.3, 2.whatever - it's still the second major release.

new faster facebook app even supported by nokia
    http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/08/30/facebook-on-your-phone-fmobi-deep-dive/

In an online universe where the world is at our fingertips, our social circle is no exception. With the likes of Facebook, we love to see what our friends and family is doing at all times as well as update them on our goings on as well. This is why Facebook on mobile phones is such a beautiful thing.
    However, without a good Facebook client tucked on your phone, accessing the service can be rough. fMobi is a new and notable Facebook client that warrants a deep dive. fMobi is written in Qt which means it runs incredibly fast and nimble on my Nokia N8 and it has a stunning user interface as well.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/13227_SPB_Shell_3D_is_the_ultimate_h.php

might be an overkill but looks the part and its pricey

The SPB Mobile Shell for Symbian – predecessor of the newly released SPB Shell 3D – achieved the number one best selling position world-wide and has been recognized by the number of prestigious awards such as Nokia Calling All innovators.

SPB Shell 3D for Symbian is an innovative solution that brings user interface to a new level and transforms the whole Home Screen into a 3D space. Initially released for Android it became the revenue-generating hit on the Android Market with 750 000 USD earned within 3 weeks. Now it is Symbian users' turn to experience how SPB Shell 3D can improve the look and feel of their smartphones with astonishing 3D visual effects and highly responsive and natural UI.

With the new SPB Shell 3D Symbian users will get into the rich and engaging 3D environment with impressive 3D animation. Slick, intuitive and fast UI will make the navigation simple to allow Symbian users fully enjoy their familiar devices with the brand new features. Smart folders will help to organize the Home Screen in the most convenient way and get access to the most important apps in one click. Fast switching between screens will make the device manipulation much more effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Whats the best theme for your N8? Anyone got some suggestions. Not really taking to the new colours/theme that the Anna update brought to my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

"Colors" by Mmmooo -

http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/1935948/

also available if you search the ovi store, i saw it on my wife's 6700s and decided i'd grab it for my E51 and X6, and it's the only theme i've found so far that i can say im truly happy with! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Nokia Rugby:

Nokia Rugby gives you MINUTE-BY-MINUTE INFORMATION OF NEW ZEALAND RUGBY WORLD CUP 2011 and the most important leagues and international rugby matches. Alarm and vibrate alerts tell you at the start and end of your favorite matches and more …: tournament standings, Multilanguage setting, selection of favorite teams and time intervals for automatic updates, match times are shown according to the user's country.

Nice app, similar to the Nokia goals app.. gives Rugby scores/updates for The RWC, Rabo 12 etc.

Nokia Rugby

Swype for Symbian^3 has been updated to 2.0 beta

Portrait and split-screen support for devices with Symbian Anna
    Cutting-edge predictive tap auto-correction engine
    30 downloadable language dictionaries
    Many incremental UX changes based on Nokia and Android Beta Labs feedback
    Hundreds of bug fixes. Too many to list!

People who have Swype previously installed and have had trouble installing it/getting it to work have suggested disabling
    Swype in settings (under applications), rebooting phone then uninstalling swype, rebooting phone and then installing the
    new beta and all seems well!

Available as a beta here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

is there any way i can get viber on my c7? Using fring at the moment, not as good as viber at all. Also, anyone know how to get words with friends app?

MJ23 wrote: »
    is there any way i can get viber on my c7? Using fring at the moment, not as good as viber at all. Also, anyone know how to get words with friends app?

Viber for Symbian is still under development see here
    No release date as yet - it's been like this for a while now.

Have you tried whatsapp? It's cross platform and more than a match for Viber in my opinion, see here

Never heard of 'words with friends' so can't help there I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

Symbian Anna is now Available for Meteor branded N8's with product code 059D7X4.

Just open Nokia Software Updater, or OVI Suite and you'll be promped to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

Got that a few days ago, very dangerous app!

opera mini now for symbian Anna and belle
    http://t.co/dJMcMvZZ

new familiar style home but pricey
    bubble birds
    http://store.ovi.com/content/137616?clickSource=aas

Alternatively, Bubble Birds (free) - has in-game ads.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-3d-world-gaze

updated today

fixes

The device’s real web browser app is now used for opening web links. NOTE: If your device is low on memory, World Gaze may be closed while the browser is open (both apps need a lot of memory).
    Added new unlocked “orbit” mode: you can freely travel around the world by turning the globe.
    Added a fifth content button: “My location”. A glowing user position marker shows your physical location. The current viewing location is also shown (see screenshot).
    Full support for Nokia E6: adjusted UI, text sizes and sensor input.
    The main menu is now opened with a swipe gesture (swipe from right edge). A new help message about the swipe menus will appear when first starting the app.
    Improved performance of (A)GPS positioning.
    Settings: Added an option to show the help messages again.
    When locking the view direction, the view is automatically straightened so that it does not stay in an awkward angle.
    Screensaver/dimming is disabled while the app is running.
    All thumbnail images cached in memory are deleted when the app goes to the background, leaving more memory for other applications. Consequently, images will be re-downloaded from the server when the app returns to foreground.
    Search markers are not visible on the backside of the planet when viewing from space.
    Fixed a crash that occurred when GPS position was found too quickly.
    Fixed screen refresh issue on Symbian Belle.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-3d-world-gaze

updated today

fixes

The device’s real web browser app is now used for opening web links. NOTE: If your device is low on memory, World Gaze may be closed while the browser is open (both apps need a lot of memory).
    Added new unlocked “orbit” mode: you can freely travel around the world by turning the globe.
    Added a fifth content button: “My location”. A glowing user position marker shows your physical location. The current viewing location is also shown (see screenshot).
    Full support for Nokia E6: adjusted UI, text sizes and sensor input.
    The main menu is now opened with a swipe gesture (swipe from right edge). A new help message about the swipe menus will appear when first starting the app.
    Improved performance of (A)GPS positioning.
    Settings: Added an option to show the help messages again.
    When locking the view direction, the view is automatically straightened so that it does not stay in an awkward angle.
    Screensaver/dimming is disabled while the app is running.
    All thumbnail images cached in memory are deleted when the app goes to the background, leaving more memory for other applications. Consequently, images will be re-downloaded from the server when the app returns to foreground.
    Search markers are not visible on the backside of the planet when viewing from space.
    Fixed a crash that occurred when GPS position was found too quickly.
    Fixed screen refresh issue on Symbian Belle.

Or in my case 'Does not install' :(
    Deleted the previous version to install the update and for some reason it won't install..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

zinzan wrote: »
    Or in my case 'Does not install' :(
    Deleted the previous version to install the update and for some reason it won't install..

Try run the install the second time.

Davy wrote: »
    Try run the install the second time.

Already tried that! Also tried installing in and from different locations... No dice.

Edit - Decided to give it one last try so redownloaded it today (third time!) and this time it installed without a hitch.
    :)

Use facial recognition to unlock your phone...

Free on Nokia store here.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

This morning I was presented with a firmware update to v25.007.
    I installed it, but haven't seen any difference except that my Internet Radio app no longer works. There do not seem to be any release notes either.

Anyone have any idea what this update does?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

Italia wrote: »
    This morning I was presented with a firmware update to v25.007.
    I installed it, but haven't seen any difference except that my Internet Radio app no longer works. There do not seem to be any release notes either.

Anyone have any idea what this update does?
    what model?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Since you posted that in the N8 thread I don't see what the need to post it here was too!

You know a simple Google search would have got you answers
    Search results...

New apps on nokia betalabs:

Nokia Map Suite - available here

Nokia Maps Suite brings you the future of location-based services. Places helps you discover where to go and Public Transport shows the best way to get there with buses, trams and trains with worldwide coverage. Nokia Live View, the augmented-reality browser, turns your phone.s camera viewfinder into a new way to spot nearby attractions, shops, restaurants and places of interest. With Pulse, you can check in with the people you care about most—your family and close friends.

Wherever you are, you have access to everything you need to explore your surroundings, share special moments, and plan your next adventure.

Includes:

New version of Live View:

A new way to easily find information and services on the go

Have you ever wished you could spot the closest restaurant or ATM? Nokia Live View is a fun and easy way to discover what is around you. Simply launch the app on your phone and Live View will display the points of interests in the Camera viewfinder view / List view / Maps view. Nokia Live View connects you to what you’re looking for – and more – exactly when and where you want it. With Live View you can:

Select your interests in many different categories – Live View will filter the points of interests and present your choices
    Know your options – get details, read reviews of restaurants and hotels
    Enjoy the place – with one tap you can make a reservation, or navigate to the location via turn by turn navigation

Places:

Nokia Places helps you discover where to go faster. Simply open the app and instantly see what's around. With just a tap or two you can turn places on the map on or off. Tap on the markers to see what the places are and how they are rated. Go to the details to read reviews, make reservations, and find your way there.

Public Transport (Useless in Ireland..)

Nokia Public Transport helps you navigate cities by public transportation. You can:

Choose from multiple routes and follow the list of directions for buses, trams, underground or trains.
    Smart navigation for walking helps you reach your destination door-to-door.
    Check the next departure times for any stop in your city and easily save your regular commutes to favourites.
    You can enjoy of all these features with time-based information in these areas:

Berlin & Brandenburg, London, New York City, Toronto, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Bay Area, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Turin, Flanders, Denmark, Auckland

We also offer worldwide Simple routing information. Simple routing uses the map data to calculate a heuristic route, based on the likely frequency of lines.
    Check out the list of cities where coverage is available.

What's different from the last version?

We have increased our time-based coverage (before we only supported Berlin & Brandenburg) and added Simple routing for many cities all over the world. There's also a new Stations nearby page (formally known as Departures) with all the stations and departure times around a selected spot. And the Journey details page visuals has been improved.

Pulse

Nokia Pulse brings your everyday conversations to life by automatically tagging photos and updates with your location.

Every conversation, from pickups and drop-offs to meet-ups, is as instant, private, and simple as sending a text, but far more useful and engaging. Nokia Pulse is integrated with Maps, so finding people nearby, discovering new places, and getting directions is a snap.

Group Conversations:
    Keep it Private. Keep it Personal. Keep it Real.

Private check in – All your conversations stay private and safe
    Photo check in – Automatically tag your location to all your photo updates
    Private by Default – No complicated privacy settings needed
    Live Places:
    One tap and they know where you are. Two taps to get you there.

Bring your favorite places to life – Post a favorite place to a conversation
    Discover what’s nearby – Make and view recommendations of nearby places of interest
    Getting there is a snap – Get directions directly from the recommended place
    Your People:
    Your Family. Your People. You Decide.

Instant: Receive instant on-device notifications of all new updates
    Open: Everyone with an email address can participate
    Easy: Sending and receiving messages with Nokia Pulse is as easy as SMS