Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S^3 apps & games (N8, C7, C6, E7 etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Some I forgot to mention when they came out, for NFC enabled handsets (C7 etc.) some basic NFC java games:

■Nokia World Flags. This is a matching game with a twist -- instead of flipping cards, wave your phone over physical NFC cards to magically reveal hidden flags. Almost 200 flags to match and learn.
    ■Nokia Shakespeare Shuffle. Wave your phone over different NFC tags to hear parts of famous quotes from Shakespeare. Rearrange and tap them in the right order to complete the quotes before time runs out!
    ■Nokia Nursery Rhyme Shuffle. This is a kid’s version of Shakespeare Shuffle, using nursery rhymes from Mother Goose, together with beautiful artwork from the early 1900’s. It is also great as a cooperative game between kids or between kids and their parents.

On betalabs here.

I couldn't get them to install by downloading to PC and transferring across, but direct download onto phone worked ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The Beta Labs Maps Suite installer has been improved, for anyone (like me) who couldn't install it before.

One of the apps is "Pulse", a social networking service: I've had a look at this, and I'm impressed with what's there so far. It's pretty simple, and there's a horrible UI issue on the Symbian client (it's extraordinarily easy to delete things you don't want to), but it's a very promising service. It's amazing what you can do when your business model doesn't require selling identity information to advertisers.

If you haven't tried it, imagine a FourSquare+Facebook that isn't data-mining everything you do, that allows you to form groups (like Google+, but again, without the data mining) as and when you need them. Everything is private to members of the group - there's no "broadcast to everyone", and you can leave a group whenever you want.

There are WP7 and Symbian native clients, with a mobile and full-fat Web version online too. Details at pulse.nokia.com/about

... you don't even need a Nokia phone, but you do have to create a Nokia Account to log in.

The beta Nokia store app (huge improvement on Ovi store app) has been updated - Nokia store.

The beta replacement for Pc Ovi suite has also been updated Nokia Suite beta.

The Opera Mobile and Opera Mini browsers have been updated to 11.5 and 6.5 respectively you can update via phone at m.opera.com or download to desktop from Opera.

Information on the Opera mini 6.5 update here and include:

•Added Data Usage view
    •Added star bookmark in URL
    •Added crash logger*
    •Added support for system bookmarks
    •Added support for Symbian Status Bar, Notification Bar*
    •Added protocol setting in advanced options
    •Added share pages through email
    •Improved compression with WebP instead of JPEG images*
    •Improved localization for more languages
    •Fixed various stability and performance issues
    •*Not Supported on Symbian S60 2nd edition

Information on the Opera Mobile 11.5 update here and include:

•Added Data Usage view
    •Added star bookmark in URL
    •Added support for system bookmarks
    •Added support for Symbian Status Bar, Notification Bar
    •Added new Turbo setting (disabled on wifi but enabled on cellular network)
    •Added support for cache on mass storage/SD card on selected devices
    •Improved youtube/RealPlayer integration
    •Improved localization for more languages
    •Device-specific improvements and fixes
    •Fixed various stability and performance issues
    •Core update 2.9.201

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

e book readers: another choice

I've just installed albite reader hd on my N8, as I was getting annoyed by ereader.

It's a java app, installs fine, has full screen, night mode and a lot of the other stuff. It reads the epub format and, unlike ereader, just uses the existing directory structure on the SD card, as well as internal memory, allowing you to have the ebooks stored anyway you like.

I like it, and, based on an hours usage, would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

symbian belle is here ,for the X7/E6/500

http://t.co/GYnKHPXF

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Is there any word feud type apps around for symbian. There's a scrabble app but it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Excellent stuff - thanks
    jimmynokia wrote: »

Top 30 freeware for symbian

http://t.co/Rfr7MPz3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Latest version of cutetube has been released. Tried it on my C7 and it's way better than the stock YouTube client. It isn't just a downloader, you can use your Google account with it too.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/13903_cuteTube.php

If you have problems with it check out this comment.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/13903_cuteTube.php#comment-401126952

EDIT: Also found some handy widgets

Raminfo - http://store.ovi.com/content/98356 - handier than checking JBak.

Battery Info - http://store.ovi.com/content/218560 - I've stopped using Battery Monitor 2.2, the widget doesn't update itself properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The tweet that the replied to was about a Nokia 500 so wouldn't be surprised if they start with the newer phones first!

That said the final release is supposedly going under the same variant name as the last leak so you'd think it would be across all models!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

The official word was "from February" so that would be consistent.

I'm a bit worried by this - I've just got used to Anna, now it's all going to change.

Mind you - it's like getting a new phone for free!

Update - it looks like it will be February afterall - latest tweet from Nokia apologises for the "mistweet" .

Meh.

Nokia and consistent do not belong in the same sentance when it comes to updates!

http://t.co/cLqbmmw6

On the celebration of his 2nd anniversary, Rovio has released a new update for Symbian bringing the Birthday Party levels.

The Birthday Party update features 18 levels and a new amazing expandable orange bird! For more info, head to our Symbian^3 Applications and Games section.AngryBirds_2_1-500x160.jpg

symbian belle now rolling out http://t.co/aa1MXW6o

posted from phone sorry for just the link

Just installed Nokia Belle - OFFICIAL release.

OPERATOR DEVICE PRODUCT CODE STATUS
    O2 Ireland C6-01 059D992 Update available
    Nokia C6-01 059C373 Update available
    Nokia C6-01 059F5B0 Update available
    Nokia C6-01 059C015 Update available
    Nokia C6-01 059C013 Update available
    Nokia C6-01 059C375 Update available
    3 ROI C7-00 059F823 Software Under Creation
    eMobile C7-00 059J2M8 Update available
    Meteor C7-00 059J116 Update available
    O2 Ireland C7-00 059D7Z7 Update available
    Vodafone C7-00 059D7V1 Update available
    Vodafone C7-00 059F485 Update available
    Nokia C7-00 0592496 Update available
    Nokia C7-00 0593583 Update available
    Nokia C7-00 0595320 Update available
    Nokia C7-00 059G7J2 Update available
    Vodafone E6-00 059H025 Update available
    Nokia E6-00 0588108 Update available
    Nokia E6-00 0588127 Update available
    Nokia E6-00 059D135 Update available
    Vodafone E7-00 059F3V7 Update available
    Meteor N8-00 059D7X4 Software Under Creation
    O2 Ireland N8-00 059D360 Update available
    Vodafone N8-00 059D0J8 Update available
    Vodafone N8-00 059G3C2 Update available
    Nokia N8-00 0599001 Update available
    Nokia N8-00 059L000 Update available
    Nokia N8-00 0598980 Update available
    Nokia N8-00 0598997 Update available
    Nokia N8-00 0599006 Update available
    Nokia N8-00 059G165 Update available
    Nokia N8-00 0598986 Update available
    Nokia Nokia Oro 059G6L0 Update available
    Nokia Nokia Oro 059D9P4 Update available
    Nokia X7-00 059G5Q7 Update available
    Nokia X7-00 059G5Q1 Update available
    Nokia X7-00 059K4N0 Update available

Update available = Nokia Belle update has been published
    Waiting for approval = Nokia Belle has been submitted for operator and/or local review
    Software under creation = Nokia Belle is currently being created by Nokia
    Nokia Belle not available = Nokia Belle will not be launched for this product code and/or country

To add to my previous post.
    Have been playing around with Belle and first impressions are...awesome update. maybe where the N8 should ghave been at launch!!

Just a word of caution - when installing Belle, it wipes out the C drive/partition. Some stuff is backed up, but any applications installed to C, will be deleted. I lost Profimail, Skype and a couple of other apps. Any custom folders that you create, will also be deleted. I created a folder on one of the homescreens, to hold all my games ....gone.

There are a few other quirks that I haven't figured out - like how to set 'meeting' profile from he main homescreen. The pulldown menu gives me the option of silent of general but not meeting.

• Advertisement

tutorial videos for belle.

http://t.co/jNax42IG

Since I'm reading people are saying they are having issues with the Official Belle....think I'll just stay with Delight Belle....really just not impressed with this whole thing from Nokia, I've had Belle on my N8 for I think 4 months and have upgraded to newer versions of the leaks as they've come out and they're still running better and not loaded with apps on the Phone Memory, just don't see why they insist on doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

just popped it on to a c7 I have, look and works really well. where was this two years ago Nokia?

Anyhoo only problem I'm having is my wifi now keeps turning off! Driving me nuts now as as soon as i've gone from one menu to the next it's turned off on me.
    Cant see any setting to force it on all the time but I could have missed them.

any ideas anyone?

god's toy wrote: »
    just popped it on to a c7 I have, look and works really well. where was this two years ago Nokia?

Anyhoo only problem I'm having is my wifi now keeps turning off! Driving me nuts now as as soon as i've gone from one menu to the next it's turned off on me.
    Cant see any setting to force it on all the time but I could have missed them.

any ideas anyone?

Not an answer, but another question. The apps, messages and contacts were restored to my own C7 after the restore process but I can't see most of my apps. Most of my apps were installed on mass memory, the E: drive. Do I have to download them again? I'd rather not decrease the amount of times (10 now, afaik) I can redownload paid apps unnecessarily.

I'm also having the same wifi problem.

Not an answer, but another question. The apps, messages and contacts were restored to my own C7 after the restore process but I can't see most of my apps. Most of my apps were installed on mass memory, the E: drive. Do I have to download them again? I'd rather not decrease the amount of times (10 now, afaik) I can redownload paid apps unnecessarily.

Haven't seen anything anywhere about wifi issues yet, but the loss of apps from mass memory is commonly occurring during the update process and you'll have to redownload and reinstall them. (Which is a pain as in games all save data is lost).

From Nokia update faqs:

How do I backup my data? Is there any content that Nokia Suite does not back up when updating to Nokia Belle?
    Nokia Suite automatically backs up your contacts, messages, calendar, tasks, notes, bookmarks, web feeds, landmarks and the predictive text dictionary. The backup is then restored to your phone after the update. The contents of your phone’s mass memory and memory card, such as photos and videos, are safe and won’t be touched during the update. As Nokia Belle is a major update, it is nevertheless not possible to back up and restore all content stored in your phone memory C:. Updating to Nokia Belle removes any Comes With Music, Nokia Music (Unlimited), and other DRM music licenses from your phone as well as certain mobile apps that are not provided by Nokia directly. For more information on how to get your music relicensed and how to redownload your apps again, please check the corresponding questions. Note: Any documents you have in C: Phone memory are copied to a safe place either on your phone or on your computer. Nokia Suite will let you know where they are stored. After the update, these documents won’t be moved back to C: Phone memory. Note: A calendar that is synced with Mail for Exchange will not be backed up during the update to Nokia Belle. The respective calendar entries will be resynced back to phone from the server once you have recreated your Mail for Exchange account. You should therefore ensure that your calendar data on

FAQS

EDIT: You're not alone on the wifi issue - thread on nokia discussions here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did you scan and connect rather than add ana access point. If you dont do the later, it doesn't save it like previously.

So just go to:
    Menu > settings > connectivity > settings > network destinations > access point.

then it will scan for wifi available, enter the pass code and it will save.

Davy wrote: »
    Did you scan and connect rather than add ana access point. If you dont do the later, it doesn't save it like previously.

So just go to:
    Menu > settings > connectivity > settings > network destinations > access point.

then it will scan for wifi available, enter the pass code and it will save.

I did that. It was fine with keeping settings, just that the WiFi connection was suddenly dropping out. It got me thinking, this used to happen when I had wifi power saving turned on iirc. So I turned power saving off in the Wifi menu.

I'm using an O2-branded C7 with a Three prepay SIM, and the update mowed over my own settings, like wallpapers, unneeded O2 contacts in the phonebook etc. In particular it replaced my Three APN settings with O2 default ones, so I had to restore all of my other settings too.

EDIT: In the end, I wound up just resetting and starting over completely, it was easier than trying to fix the mess my phone got into. It also wouldn't install the updated Nokia Store after it prompted me to download and install the updated version, so I just grabbed the most recent QML store client from Nokia Beta Labs.

There's a WordFeud-style game on Symbian. According to their website, it supports S60V5, S^3 and the N9 too. It's Word Tiles Multiplayer and it's free for the moment. Review here.

It's marked as unavailable for my C7 though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Thanks for that. If you change your phone to5800 in nokia store you can install it to your n8. It works.

• Advertisement

dr ro wrote: »
    Thanks for that. If you change your phone to5800 in nokia store you can install it to your n8. It works.

For me it crashes after the splash screen. That's to be expected with a beta, still disappointing though.

Advertisement