Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BJJ in UL

Options
  • 23-01-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Of all the clubs here in UL the one I would really like to do is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but there doesnt seem to be one...

Is there any interest in setting up a club or does anyone know of places to practice it nearby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Be careful with the abbreviation....loose a J and you'll have very different people looking to join.

Anyway to be somewhat helpful maybe get on to a similar club/soc and ask them where they practice.

Personally Id have no interest.

P.S: Could have been a very funny thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Hey,
    There's a Capoiera (apologies for the spelling) club alright, not the same I know but I'd def check it out, would love to try it out if I had time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

capoeira has as much to do with bjj as soccer.

feargal quinlan has a club on the dock road. he used to operate out of the out gym but not anymore unfortuntely.

the judo is still going on in the college twice a week but it's small and not bjj

have you done bjj before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

capoeira has as much to do with bjj as soccer.

feargal quinlan has a club on the dock road. he used to operate out of the out gym but not anymore unfortuntely.

the judo is still going on in the college twice a week but it's small and not bjj

have you done bjj before?

Sid I see you posted in a Bjj thread recently saying you wanted to enter some competitions, if you train in it would you be interested in setting up a club or a few training sessions during the semester?

yes i would if there were at least 10 people

• Advertisement

Are you guys really interested? If one of you can confirm that the PESS hall is free on tuesday at 19.30-9 (i'm flexible on tuesday for time but this is the slot i think was allocated to judo but they don't use it) and get the permission i'll start classes as soon as possible.

i don't have the time to go ringing/emailing people sorting the club out or getting 50 signatures but if you get that side done i'll do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

The club is actually moving location to a new gym this week hopefully. I'll post up exact details when I hear for sure.

I can't recommend Fergal enough, he has amazing jiu-jitsu and is a brilliant instructor. You can't go wrong training with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

there was a bjj and mma club bu ti believed it collapsed due to not having experienced enough instructors

if it was still around id definitely be a member and im interested to see were the new gym danlen is talking about is. if its reachable from castletroy with no more then one bus journey id be very tempted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

Could we not just try and start one up here in UL?
    I mean if Sid is willing to train/coach then why bother travelling across town?
    What belt are you Sid?

u can defo count me in anyway.

does anyone know what the process would be to getting this up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

If your seriously interested in setting this up in the University you have to go through the Clubs and Societies Development Officer, Paul Lee after which it will be brought to Clubs and Societies council for you to go on trial.

As far as it goes within the SU/C+S a club/society must have 25 members to be recognized, so this is the figure you will want to be aiming for when judging interest.

Have a chat with people around the college, posting it up here was a good idea too. There are plenty of supports in place for new clubs and societies anyway.

If you have questions throw them up here, or drop me an e-mail (I'll send it to ya in a PM if you want it or check out www.registercs.ul.ie and just find me through the contacts section: Keith Young) as I'm the current Clubs Officer, so I can give you a decent amount of help/advice in it.

Otherwise drop into the Students Union and have a chat with Paul Lee or Liz Gabbett (Clubs and Societies Liaison Officer) and they'll help you through stuff.

• Advertisement

it's not a new club it's just a rehash of an old one.

Blue belt -3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

So would you be looking to work with another group, or by rehash do you mean it once existed but now doesn't?

If you are planning to set up your own group, under the BJJ UL name then it will still go through all the same procedures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I would be interested in joining something like this if it was in UL aswell

As far as I know when the club was last in UL people were registered under the judo club in order to ensure there was enough members for the club to be recognised. Not sure what way this was organised.

Note: The new gym where Fergal will be training is on Windmill Lane, it used to be MK-fitness.

ok so if sid says he's willing to coach.
    is there anyone interested in going to see paul lee to try and get the ball rolling?
    id be up for going if anyone else would be up for coming along to see what the story is?

I'll talk to the judo lads and see if i can do the tuesday slot as a bjj session, it's essentially the same sport from an outsiders point of view anyway. i'll go to judo on thursday and see what the craic is.

brilliant!! let us know what they say and if u need any hand in organising give us a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Just to let you know, the Shotokan club had the PESS booked from 6:15 to 8:15 tuesday nights last semester, not sure if it'll be the same this semester. Said I'd mention it.

I'm interested on the basis we can be called the UL Tomohawks

Lets go Hawks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

Jesus thanks for all the replies didnt expect so much interest. I had heard about Fergals gym but it doesnt suit cuz i dont want to have to travel into town twice a week.

Id say if Sid is happy to do it through the judo club that would be the best job... I have never trained in BJJ but I have some basic knowledge in it and would be happy to help in doing any of the work required to set up a new club or attract members etc.

Can we maybe start doin something to set up this week

• Advertisement

the kratty guys put bit of a spanner in the works for this. i'll still talk to judo lads tomorrow and see what they suggest or see if they have an objections.

just to mention, if you're serious about getting good at bjj you'd want to be training 2/3 times a week and to do that you'd have to train with fergal who is (i'm told, not actually trained with him) a very good coach.

if we get a club going in UL, it will be legitimate, serious training but it will only be one day a week.

when they're moved into the new place i'll start heading down myself if i can.

In years to come i look forward when people ask me who i got my black belt off and i proudly tell them..''The Justice Brothers'' :)

the kratty guys put bit of a spanner in the works for this. i'll still talk to judo lads tomorrow and see what they suggest or see if they have an objections.

just to mention, if you're serious about getting good at bjj you'd want to be training 2/3 times a week and to do that you'd have to train with fergal who is (i'm told, not actually trained with him) a very good coach.

if we get a club going in UL, it will be legitimate, serious training but it will only be one day a week.

when they're moved into the new place i'll start heading down myself if i can.

For anyone interested:

UPDATE: Regarding new Combat Sports Centre gym.

The gym is now open as of tonight. There is BJJ on a Tuesday and Thursday night. If you havn't done much training before the guys are running a 10-week beginners program.

Here's the current timetale:

Below are the times & coached session being run at the centre

Mon @ 6.00pm MMA Fitness program
    Mon @ 7.00pm MMA( Beginners 10 week program)
    Mon @ 8.00pm MMA

Tue @ 6.00pm Boxing
    Tue @ 7.00pm Beginners NoGi BJJ (10 week program)
    Tue @ 8.00pm BJJ

Wed @ 6.0pm MMA Fitness Session
    Wed @ 7.00pm MMA Beginners (10 week program)
    Wed @ 8.00pm MMA

Thurs @ 5.00pm MMA Kids Session
    Thurs @ 6.00pm Boxing
    Thurs @ 7.00pm BJJ
    Thurs @ 8.30pm Beginners NoGi BJJ (10 week program)

Fri @ 6.00pm MMA Fitness Session
    Friday @ 7.00pm Wrestling

Sat.@ 12.00am - 1.00pm MMA Kids Session
    Sat.@ 1.00pm - 3pm Open Mat

Our 10 Week Beginners course for MMA and BJJ is enrolling.
    Just pop into the gym to enroll before or on Monday the 7th of Feb.

MMA = Mix Martial Arts
    BJJ = Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

danlen wrote: »
    For anyone interested:

UPDATE: Regarding new Combat Sports Centre gym.

The gym is now open as of tonight. There is BJJ on a Tuesday and Thursday night. If you havn't done much training before the guys are running a 10-week beginners program.

Here's the current timetale:

Below are the times & coached session being run at the centre

Mon @ 6.00pm MMA Fitness program
    Mon @ 7.00pm MMA( Beginners 10 week program)
    Mon @ 8.00pm MMA

Tue @ 6.00pm Boxing
    Tue @ 7.00pm Beginners NoGi BJJ (10 week program)
    Tue @ 8.00pm BJJ

Wed @ 6.0pm MMA Fitness Session
    Wed @ 7.00pm MMA Beginners (10 week program)
    Wed @ 8.00pm MMA

Thurs @ 5.00pm MMA Kids Session
    Thurs @ 6.00pm Boxing
    Thurs @ 7.00pm BJJ
    Thurs @ 8.30pm Beginners NoGi BJJ (10 week program)

Fri @ 6.00pm MMA Fitness Session
    Friday @ 7.00pm Wrestling

Sat.@ 12.00am - 1.00pm MMA Kids Session
    Sat.@ 1.00pm - 3pm Open Mat

Our 10 Week Beginners course for MMA and BJJ is enrolling.
    Just pop into the gym to enroll before or on Monday the 7th of Feb.

MMA = Mix Martial Arts
    BJJ = Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Nice plug but you seemed to have forgotten to include the price.

I think most of us are set on obtaining our black belts from the Justice brothers anyway.

TheProdigy wrote: »
    Nice plug but you seemed to have forgotten to include the price.

50 quid a month, unlimited classes.
    TheProdigy wrote: »
    I think most of us are set on obtaining our black belts from the Justice brothers anyway.

Fair enough

danlen wrote: »
    50 quid a month, unlimited classes.

Fair enough

I was only messing about the Justice brothers.

50 isn't bad for unlimited classes if you were serious about training, must check it out sometime.

danlen don't take everything so literally , the lads are only having a laugh. if there's bjj in town on tues and thurs i'll do my best to have the UL classses on the wednesday if possible.

danlen don't take everything so literally , the lads are only having a laugh. if there's bjj in town on tues and thurs i'll do my best to have the UL classses on the wednesday if possible.

sorry lads didn't mean for it to come across as you interpreted it. I of course know ye were joking. What I meant by "fair enough" was that if lads are just looking for BJJ in the college and my info was misplaced that was fair enough, as I didn't mean for it to be a plug for the club.

any BJJ that gets goin is great and I would be as happy as anyone to see a club in UL.

Peace!:D

Nobody at judo today :confused: will update tomorrow

• Advertisement

cheers sid. maybe that means they dont use the hall on the thursdays? thus, we could?

Advertisement