Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BJJ in UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

If you are going to set up a club, there is a recruitment day on Monday for C&S, If you talk to Paul on Friday(Today) he might be able to get you a stand for it. Its on in EGO10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

any updates sid???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

No. As I made it perfectly clear i'm not doing any administration, if you want a club, you (not specifically you, anyone) can get it going.

i'll talk to the judo lads today, presuming they actually turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

I dont mind doing the admin work if a few more people will give me a hand... problem is i go on teaching practice in three weeks which limits how much i can help...

Does anyone have contact details for the head of the judo club and I could get in touch with him to see about the hall or about joining members through the judo club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

id help u out if u like, wud we call into paul lee or something this week and see what the craic is?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

sid did the judo lads ever turn up or was the hall empty again?

i actually didn't go last week but i'll go tonight to scope it out. did anyone email them?

Lads i emailed the judo club this morning and i also called into Paul Lee.

I told paul that at the moment we have about ten - fifteen people interested.

First step Paul Lee told me to email neasa o donnell from University Arena to see if the arena would be willing to give us access to one of the PE halls to train in.

Then he said to get onto Finn McDuffie at the Students Union to allow us to put in an article for An Focal student paper promoting the club and getting more members interested, and also to make a facebook page and post on the students union facebook page promoting the club.

We dont need 25 members to the start the club, but Paul said we would need to adequately expose ourselves so as to increase numbers over the course of the semester - hence facebook page, article in An Focal etc etc.

But the main thing was initally to get onto Neasa O Donnell, im emailing her now.
    When she contacts us back, then Paul said he would meet with a few of us and take it from there. Although Sid doesnt want to be involed in any administrative work, he might have to maybe come to this meeting, Paul wanted to be sure we had a trainer and he also wondered what would happen if the trainer leaves college/stops turning up etc the club would fall apart etc.

Even if neasa doesnt give us a PE hall, Paul said we could discuss using one of the village halls to train in.

I emailed the Judo club this is what i said
    Hey,

There was a few of us interested in setting up a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club?

Just wondering do you know any details about when the PES hall is open available etc?

Also, we're not entirely sure what demand would be like, we've got about 10 people interested so far. Apparently last time the BJJ club operated in UL it was linked in with the judo club in some way so that it could operate, as they werent able to get 25 people to form the club themselves.

Any advice or help u could give me would be very helpful, not sure how we would go about this.

Thanks

and this is the reply i got
    At this moment we currently have a judo club at thursday and monday.
    All thous people with you they are UL students or not?
    Who will prowide jiu jitsu trainings? Do you have a trainer?

Regards

So maybe it might be best if Sid goes and has a word with them tonight, it seems like it would be much easier and faster to set the club up in tandem with the Judo club.

I was at judo today, i didn't bring it up. I think i was talking to the guy that responded to the email, I'll tell him i want to be the coach. I am going for some extra training with him next week, it should be all good.

I'll talk about it more frankly with him and the cmte members the next time. Thanks for sending thoes emails, of course i'll go any critical meetings and all that stuff.

• Advertisement

wel lads, id be happy to be involved in any meetings or any of that administrative stuff... like i said il be gone on tp from week 6, for 6 weeks but if theres anything can be done before then il get involved and hopefully when i get back i'll be able to get stuck into training.

meeting the judo lads and the hall people on monday to see i we can get a slot

Hey sid,

any word from the judo guys?

no i shall make enquiries tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheManJack

Hey any word on the club being set up?
    I know a few guys who'd be interested (myself included) if you still needed to make up the numbers

still trying to organise a meeting with paulie, first meeting had to be postponed so just waiting on that.

Judo club captain is meeting Paul Lee clubs and socs guy tomorrow for a meeting hopefully be positive and get things going. i am hoping to attend but have an unmissable meeting at the same time but will pop along after

Hey guys thanks for your patience in getting the bjj/judo club started.

We had a very productive meeting with the CLubs and Socs officer and he was very clear and direct on what we need to establish a vibrant club.

Basically we need a vibrant active committee. In order to get another day allocated to us for training we need to prove we have the members and the organisation that deserves it. So it looks more and more doubtful we'll get training going this semester.

Next week or the the week after we'll have a meeting and we'll invite everyone who's interested in getting involved in BJJ (not just the committee but training itself) to come along so we can show we have the interest that warrants including bjj into the club.

Starting training on Thursday at 8pm in the PESS. The PESS is the PE building. Training will be downstairs, not obviously in the room with the karate people but in the other where there will probably be people playing handball.

I know this is a week off for most and not everyone will be around campus but if you are, please drop in. We'll probably train the following week too. I know this is probably the worst time to start the club but we'll see how you go. trying to gauge interest in this based on these training sessions

bring normal gym gear and water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chaoki

Hey i would be interested in joining. Won't be able to make it this week but will definitely be able to make it the week after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 the candy man

im another one that is interested in joining, just to give ye an idea of numbers. same time and day for this week ??

I'm told the PESS hall will be closed next week because of the Easter Holidays. I am also worried it's going to be used for examins next week and the hall be full of chairs and desks. I'll try and find out but it looks doubtful. Sorry

hey sid, i wasnt around because of teaching practice but im back now. just wondering if training is still on or if it's over for the semester?

the PESS building is used up by the exams won't be able to train until they're over unfortuntely. sorry

so will there be a judo/bjj club next year or a straight out bjj club.

i was also thinking about going to fergal quinlans gym in town next year. just wondering whether it would be better to do the mma lessons or just straight out bjj, im mostly interested in bjj but it would be useful to learn some striking, wrestling, etc. i guess it depends on how much bjj there is in the mma classes.

any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

any suggestions?

Best suggestion I can give you is to drop down any day of the week and have a nose or a chat or contact the f'book page. Jump in and try the lot and see what you like. The club is also doing boxing/fitness/judo/wrestling but the main focus is BJJ (tues/thurs) and mma (mon/wed) and have beginner and advanced classes for both.

Hand on heart the coaches and the lads training there are sound! :)

well lads, im the original poster of this thread.... with the new year about to begin i was just wondering whether there is still the interest in going ahead with the club this year, through the judo club or independantly whatever... if sid is still up for training us maybe we could arrange something for once or twice a week to train

I spoke to someone working in the university and he advised me of a few other guys around who might be able to help out with training, or even if they could come in for a seminar/training session a few times in the semester. One of the guys he mentioned has been out to america and brazil training with the Gracies.

I'm down in limerick at the moment if there is anyone else who would like to meet up or have a meeting with that paul guy in the su who is over the clubs and socs to get something set up. let me know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I'd be up for getting involved, but I'm trying to get a comedy society up and running atm, so it wouldn't be ideal for me to go in with you. If you need anyone for committee or anything, give me a shout. Definitely interested though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chaoki

I'm still interested in joining a bjj club in UL. I'm not down there at the moment so i wouldn't be able to go to a meeting though.

• Advertisement

hi guys is the demand for this still there?
    im interested myself still.

is sid still interested in getting involved?

Advertisement