Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have I done!! (painting)

• 23-01-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

In november I started painting my house. Every room was cream and I was bored of it. New house lived here almost 2 years. Anyway I am in fulltime college and my partner works on and off. We have 2 young children. I had hoped the house would be finished for xmas by doing a bit in the evenings. I managed to finish the kitchen and utility, sitting room almost and downstairs hallway. But then the kids were sick i was sick every one was sick and we just seemed to have too much on. So its January now!!! :eek:

Two of the rooms I painted and I didnt get to finish the edgings. I have did it there the last day and it hasnt got the same finish now. Looks tatty, obvious it was a last minute fill. Didnt realise this would happen.:mad:

If I start again and put a whole new coat on will that bring the finish up better. Cant believe it, cant afford to hire someone in, but I really hope I havent jsut wasted my time and money and will end up with a tatty finish! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

yes if you have cut in around the edges and you repaint the rest it will come up the same coulour and have a much better finish. sometimes if paint drys at differant speeds of paint is used at differant intervals it kinda goes off and can look differant. even if you buy the same paint in 2 differant tins there can be a slight colour variation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

yes if you have cut in around the edges and you repaint the rest it will come up the same coulour and have a much better finish. sometimes if paint drys at differant speeds of paint is used at differant intervals it kinda goes off and can look differant. even if you buy the same paint in 2 differant tins there can be a slight colour variation.

thanks soo much i neded that reasurance ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

If you repaint the room entirely you will be OK. If you need extra paint, try and box any old paint with the new stuff. Pour it from tin to tin and give it a few stirs. Do this a few times. This will ensure a uniform finish. If you cant get the whole room done in one go, do a wall at a time. Always cut in first and roll after.

The reason for the different colour in the finishes is the time between applications. If you have used flat or matte finish you should be Ok in a few days time. Any sheen, soft, eggshell semi etc it wont.

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Thanks for the help, looking forward to finishing it now I know it will be ok.

Advertisement