Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 worsel

redistributing Timmins surplus of 116
    9946-9839=107 !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

worsel wrote: »
    redistributing Timmins surplus of 116
    9946-9839=107 !!!

Yea, think we can take it Donnelly has it as there is no way that Brady has gotten over 108 votes from Timmons surplus as most will go to Harris.

So all just depends now on Brady asking for a recount, which I will assume will be tomorrow and not tonight.

Either way, recount is only from 13th count not 1st so won't take that long.

I'm Confused !!!
    Have a look at the two links under.
    In longford after the First Count they got rid of 5 candidates and re-distributed there votes ...
    While in Wicklow after the first Count they eliminated only one candidate ...while ( to me anyway) they could have eliminated the Bottom 12 ??

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/wicklow.html
    V
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/longford-westmeath.html

Does Anybody yknow of any Internet Site --that explains PR ??..

worsel wrote: »
    I'm Confused !!!
    Have a look at the two links under.
    In longford after the First Count they got rid of 5 candidates and re-distributed there votes ...
    While in Wicklow after the first Count they eliminated only one candidate ...while ( to me anyway) they could have eliminated the Bottom 12 ??

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/wicklow.html
    V
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/longford-westmeath.html

Does Anybody yknow of any Internet Site --that explains PR ??..

In Longford-Westmeath they eliminated the 5 candidates because the total of their votes together was 1,029 which was less than Mary O'Rourke's 3,046 votes in 6th place so the bottom 5 had no chance of surpassing her.

In Wicklow as there were so many candidates with small amounts of votes the gaps weren't big enough so they had to be eliminated one at a time.

Hope this helps.

Here's a Wiki to help explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

5 min and I'm gone.

Thanks Murfo999... Head is Gone .. Will haveto Look at that Link in the Morning ..... After the News at 1:00pm !!!!

d'Oracle wrote: »
    5 min and I'm gone.

I know what you mean......it was a different month when I started following this count!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ergo

d'Oracle wrote: »
    5 min and I'm gone.

me too

getting up in the morning not gonna be much fun :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

0254 Big huddle under way involving John Brady's Sinn Féin team and the returning officer. Will there be a request for a recount?

from twitter
    seems certain to be a recount with projected difference of 100

• Advertisement

here we go now

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Uuuuugh hurry up want to go to bed already :(

Result

Harris +53 11512
    Ferris+28 11070
    Donnelly+20 9966
    Brady+15 9854

Harris, Ferris, Donnelly Elected.

Recount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Confirmation: Stephen Donnelly has it. Wahey.

Some cheers to be heard on East Coast FM.

Delighted!!

Donnelly in? No recount!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Yeah buddy:D

Recount confirmed from Count 14 begins tomorrow at 3pm. Could be back here again tomorrow night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Counts 14 to 19 to be recounted tomorrow from 3pm.

Result won't change in my opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Counts 14 to 19 to be recounted tomorrow from 3pm.

Result won't change in my opinion.

Recount from Brady withdrawn. Donnelly in.

• Advertisement

It's over! Donnelly in...

Hang on.....Sinn Fein have withdrawn the recount.

They wanted full recount but returning officer was only obliged to do so from count 14 so SF have withdrawn recount,

COUNT IS OVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

Brilliant, no recount...and well done to Stephen Donnelly. Fantastic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

at long bloody last:D

Only issue now is that Dick Roche stays away now .....I assume he'll realise now there is nothing he can do and forget legal challenges etc!

Great result and good people elected from Wicklow.

Interested to see how Stephen Donnelly does in the Dail!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

at long bloody last:D

True. A long few days with way too many cigs smoked and coffee drank/drunk?!
    But all worth it. :D

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Only issue now is that Dick Roche stays away now .....I assume he'll realise now there is nothing he can do and forget legal challenges etc!

Great result and good people elected from Wicklow.

Interested to see how Stephen Donnelly does in the Dail!

I hope they use his experince and dont just leave him on the back benches

Well he's going to be independent opposition so definite back bench...if Enda & Co do consult him then Irish politics truly has changed!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well he's going to be independent opposition so definite back bench...if Enda & Co do consult him then Irish politics truly has changed!

well if enda and co have any sense they will at least bear in mind his economics background, but somehow ive the sinking feeling we have replaced one bunch of muppets with another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Amazing ending to the night when Brady revoked his much anticipated, but well within his rights, decision to recount the votes. Classy way to go in my opinion. New found respect for him, and I was up for Donnelly!
    Now we don't have to waste more of the taxpayers money on a recount.
    Are you reading this Dick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well done Stephen Donnelly, I too hope they use his experince & dont just leave him on the back benches . . .

Big respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

You remember George Lee he lasted less than a year he was a brilliant mind as well totally underused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

gcgirl wrote: »
    You remember George Lee he lasted less than a year he was a brilliant mind as well totally underused
    I think there was also an element of naivite on the part of Lee with regards to how politics work. There are a lot of people that Enda Kenny owes now, especially given the recent heave, and I don't think Donnelly can expect to be parachuted into a star position.

The internal workings of FG don't leave me that positive, their are a lot of egos and Stephen being an independent, he will get fick all speaking time and be stuck on the back benches though I hope I'm wrong they could do with using Stephen and Shane Ross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Tarobot wrote: »
    I think there was also an element of naivite on the part of Lee with regards to how politics work. There are a lot of people that Enda Kenny owes now, especially given the recent heave, and I don't think Donnelly can expect to be parachuted into a star position.
    The interesting thing about this election is that there are a few TD's who aren't in the least bit interested in being career politicians, they just want to get involved in sorting out the mess we are in. The likes of Peter Mathews is a perfect example and it wouldn't suprise me if Donnelly is part of that too. Given that, I don't think they particularly care about being in a 'star position' or how much speaking time they get. The best thing FG could do would be to add these to various finance committees and let them get stuck in in the background where their skills could be best utilised, then just let those in the 'star positions' sign off on their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Blowfish wrote: »
    The interesting thing about this election is that there are a few TD's who aren't in the least bit interested in being career politicians, they just want to get involved in sorting out the mess we are in. The likes of Peter Mathews is a perfect example and it wouldn't suprise me if Donnelly is part of that too. Given that, I don't think they particularly care about being in a 'star position' or how much speaking time they get. The best thing FG could do would be to add these to various finance committees and let them get stuck in in the background where their skills could be best utilised, then just let those in the 'star positions' sign off on their work.

Exactly - Stephen donnelly I am sure will realise all that. It is going to be interesting to watch the expense accounts of these newbies to the Dail, Shane Ross in particular. Remember Stephen the best way into work is the Dart and walk from Pearse street, please keep your integretity and don't get sucked into the gravy train. Well done though - you ran a good campaign got yourself a high profile and most important of all spared Wicklow the embarrassment of a Shinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a lot of time for Brady. He may be involved with a party with a questionable past but they aren't the only one. He is a very prominent and visible councillor. He's got things done in that capacity.

He'll also get a lot of respect for not forcing the recount. We only have to look back a day to see the self-centred hissy fit Roche threw when he had less of a chance of being elected. Brady can safely say he has more dignity and humility than that gombeen. I reckon he'll be elected in Wicklow soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Wexford1798

Nothing wrong with a Shinner, especially one who gets things done like Brady.

He'll also get a lot of respect for not forcing the recount. We only have to look back a day to see the self-centred hissy fit Roche threw when he had less of a chance of being elected. Brady can safely say he has more dignity and humility than that gombeen. I reckon he'll be elected in Wicklow soon enough.

+1. Brady earned a lot of respect last night from all quarters. He was his own man and went against the advice of his advisers. He accepted the decision of the people with dignity and humility. Other politicians could learn from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,295 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

westtip wrote: »
    and most important of all spared Wicklow the embarrassment of a Shinner.

That post is more of an embarrassment. Brady is a very good candidate and was gracious in being defeated by a very small margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have a lot of time for Brady. He may be involved with a party with a questionable past . . .

Well there you go, his party are tainted like no other^, Sinn Fein are/were the political wing of the Provisional IRA, and most of us (90%) do not want them to govern us! Brady may indeed be a nice fella, I don't know? but he is representing Sinn Fein and all the baggage they carry, and thats one bridge too far for most in this area.
    I reckon he'll be elected in Wicklow soon enough.

Well maybe if he goes independent, and if his policies are not too far left wing, then maybe . . .

PS really glad that Stephen Donnelly got in.

+1. Brady earned a lot of respect last night from all quarters. He was his own man and went against the advice of his advisers. He accepted the decision of the people with dignity and humility. Other politicians could learn from him.

+ a million

• Advertisement

Peter Mathews is an FG td not an independent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I was surprised there was no recount.
    Very noble of Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Tarobot wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thats naive in the extreme - Donnelly is an INDEPENDENT

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

That post is more of an embarrassment. Brady is a very good candidate and was gracious in being defeated by a very small margin.

Well I am not embarrassed by it. I have nothing against the man just the loony gerrynomics of and Marylounomics of SF; but that's for another day.

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thats naive in the extreme - Donnelly is an INDEPENDENT
    exactly
    Some people are naive enough to think that Stephen will be propelled to some special position, Mostly its about Party politics, Stephen Donnolly is far more qualified to do the job than about 80% of the tds in the dail now but he is an independent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

exactly
    Some people are naive enough to think that Stephen will be propelled to some special position, Mostly its about Party politics, Stephen Donnolly is far more qualified to do the job than about 80% of the tds in the dail now but he is an independent

The more I read the threads around here the more I realise how little people know about our elecion and our electoral system.
    You had to point out that Donnelly is an independent and Matthews is FG.

People go off on rants about things without having a fecking clue of the facts. :mad:

Speaking with Donnelly he had mentioned he had talked to Shane Ross and Paul Sommerville, but that was about it.
    So it will be Donnelly, Ross and the other colourful independents like Mick Wallace, Luke Flanagan, etc that will be sitting on the opposition benches.

The most we can hope is that these guys get some power through Dáil committees.

I just hope to God the people before profit and ULA get nowhere near Dáil Committees as we need people with cop on and not just individuals who want to soap box some debunked marxist rhethoric.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Peter Mathews is an FG td not an independent
    I'm aware of that, but I'm not quite sure how pointing it out is relevant as I never mentioned anything in relation to parties. Their reasons for standing for election remain the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

You beauty! Had 20 quid on Donnelly @ 7/1 to win a seat, thank you Wicklow electorate and thank you boards.ie poll for alerting me to his potential popularity.

I'm aware of that, but I'm not quite sure how pointing it out is relevant as I never mentioned anything in relation to parties. Their reasons for standing for election remain the same.

But if he was not pursued by FG would he have run, Stephen D did it in 5 weeks on his own back generally I'm not fond of independents but I'm a little in awe of Donnelly getting the seat? I have a lot of time for Peter Matthews and him along with a few others Brian lucey David McWilliams and constantine (dont ask me to spell his nsme)would contribute an awful lot to the process at the minuite

• Advertisement

You beauty! Had 20 quid on Donnelly @ 7/1 to win a seat, thank you Wicklow electorate and thank you boards.ie poll for alerting me to his potential popularity.

I'm raging I did not put money on 3 FG in Wicklow I said it back in December they'd get 3

Advertisement