Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Auctionmcd wrote: »
    Yes but Roche might struggle with the Collapse in FF vote

As I said earlier there has been some people that I have talked to that are abandoning the main stream parties altogether like myself ,but Billy and Dick still have a lot of support here ,people feel they know them personally and some feel they have done a lot for the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Auctionmcd

As I said earlier there has been some people that I have talked to that are abandoning the main stream parties altogether like myself ,but Billy and Dick still have a lot of support here ,people feel they know them personally and some feel they have done a lot for the area

Well I know enough about both to avoid them like the plague, but wont stop them getting elected

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

So anyone any idea which way the seats will go? Am finding it very perplexing as the vote apart from Timmins and Harris seem to be going all over the place.

I'm hoping Donnelly will get in. I saw him at a public meeting in Bray and I was very impressed. He seems to have some very good ideas, and the qualifications to back them up. He's on Frontline tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

why are people urging people 2 vote for candidates who have already been in power and got us in2 this mess in the 1st place????? in my opinion they are all corrupt so why vote them back in?????

i myself am voting for a totally new crop of TD's, out with the old in with the new!!!!!!

party politics have run there course and run this country to the ground!!!!!

an even spread across the board would be ideal!!!! no 1 has total control then :)

why are people urging people 2 vote for candidates who have already been in power and got us in2 this mess in the 1st place????? in my opinion they are all corrupt so why vote them back in?????

i myself am voting for a totally new crop of TD's, out with the old in with the new!!!!!!

party politics have run there course and run this country to the ground!!!!!

an even spread across the board would be ideal!!!! no 1 has total control then :)

Who's urging people to vote them back in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I have to say from knocking on doors for Labour that people many have insisted they don't want another Billy, all he has done for West Wicklow is turn Glending into a dump, I think he may get squeezed out by Doyle and Harris, leaving 2 FG in Wicklow as before.

Roche was out in Blessington yesterday just before I was and people almost ran me off their property because they thought I was FF.

If this resentment is shown on the doors then I would be predicting:
    Doyle
    Ferris
    Harris
    Behan
    Fortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Steven Donnelly is on Front Line right now!

edanto wrote: »
    Steven Donnelly is on Front Line right now!
    He's a one-trick pony. He won't get elected thankfully.

For fg vote management Timmins has an election office in Arklow so is looking for the fg no 1's from there.

I wouldn't discount Donnelly by the way,he had a very busy town hall style meeting in arklow with mcwilliams the other day.

I'd also trend towards 3 fg in wicklow or 2 fg 2 labour with a dog fight for the last one in either case.
    3 fg seems more logical though with the swing in that direction and the fall off in labour.

Behan was on the front line recently talking lovingly of how ff is such a cultural rock in irish society and he voted for the government most of the time since he "lost" the whip.
    If elected he'll be back into ff in jig time.
    Behan saying he's an independent is a scam.He's fianna fail and I hope people remember that at the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Who's urging people to vote them back in?

well mayb not urging, but putting der points forward about d current TD's who have got us in2 this situation!!!!

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    He's a one-trick pony.

That's very lazy, clearly you haven't even read his website. He's very well qualified for the job.

That's very lazy, clearly you haven't even read his website. He's very well qualified for the job.
    For what job? Independents can make all sorts of statements on their websites because they know that the likelyhood of them having to come good on any of them is slim to none. He's stated he'd align himself to FG in government. Why not just run for FG then? A right-wing independent ready to play sucker to the blueshirts does not represent any change.

blueshirts is a very yesterday term voltwad.

This constituency will be fascinating.It could do anything to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

He's a one-trick pony. He won't get elected thankfully.

He's far from a one trick pony, the proof of that is out there, if you're bothered to find it.
    Hopefully for all of us he will get elected. :D

For what job? Independents can make all sorts of statements on their websites because they know that the likelyhood of them having to come good on any of them is slim to none. He's stated he'd align himself to FG in government.

Qualified for the job as TD! He's got a great CV, a masters in public administration, trained in how to negotiate with the IMF, experience of public sector reform aroiund the world working with McKinsey.

As for saying he'd align himself with FG, I didnt read that myself, but I'll take your word for it. i hope you're not attempting to use that as a slur though, sure hasn't your own party, and FF, both said they'd align with FG.

Stephen is a practical democrat and I guess he would align himself with a government if it meant Wicklow people having professional national representation. On the other hand, if he's in opposition, you can be sure the government won't be let away with anything and Wicklow people will have someone they can trust to professionally analyse events on their behalf.

On some issues he's left wing, on others he's right, you'd have to read through the website to know all his policies.

I like Stephen Donnelly but he comes across as an Independant with leaning towards the right. Unfortunately I think Independants whilst they have influence at local level do not have any real clout at National level so I wont be voting for him.
    I saw some people saying Billy Timmins might be in trouble, thats ridiculous, he is one of the safest bets to take the first or second seat, not because he is any good but rather that the voters have a sheep mentality and will follow the popular trends and reactive votes for FG will go to the recognised faces. (He is linked to many scandals, well at least 2 that I know of)
    Simon Harris will also get a seat but I am finding it very difficult to get anything tangible on him as he seems to have been concentrating on Local council expenses issues and nothing else and it seems impossible to determine if he actually lived up to his promises due to lack of transparency on Councillors expenses.
    Anne Ferris is another who will probably get a seat but she is also being scandalised over moal issues.
    Dick Roche may hold a seat despite the abyssmal record FF have had whilst in government.
    John Brady may do well but SF are a poor alternative at the moment and until they can remove the ghosts of the past and build up half decent policies I could not vote for him.
    Conal Kavanagh seems to be struggling so I think he may lose out anyway. Dont know much more about him. His father was decent guy.
    Fortune might be a dark horse but I think he may be employing a dirty poster campaign in West Wicklow but that may also apply to Timmins.
    Joe Behan is FF whether he says so in this campaign or not.
    Nicky Kelly is one of the most controversial candidate and it is apparent to me he is there just to disrupt the Labour vote. Again he has a scandalous past.
    Pat Fitzgerald has the FF tag to overcome and I cant see how he can get in unless the FF faithful come back in force.
    Andrew Doyle is probably fighting for a seat and depending on the flow to FG he may get in.

So where my vote will go is still undecided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Conal Kavanagh seems to be struggling so I think he may lose out anyway. Dont know much more about him.

Conal must be an incredible negotiator.

As a Co Councillor, he managed to sell a property belonging to him to the council for use as social housing.

It wasn't that long ago, and *somehow* managed to secure himself a price well in excess of the market value of neighbouring properties.

housing crash... what housing crash! :rolleyes:

(and that will lose him votes in Wicklow town)

In person though he is a very nice guy

Conal must be an incredible negotiator.

As a Co Councillor, he managed to sell a property belonging to him to the council for use as social housing.

It wasn't that long ago, and *somehow* managed to secure himself a price well in excess of the market value of neighbouring properties.

housing crash... what housing crash! :rolleyes:

(and that will lose him votes in Wicklow town)

In person though he is a very nice guy

Really? Can you supply proof of that as I would like to know as much as I can about all the candidates.

That is a fairly stunning claim, and I suppose in the intensity of the campaign it would be best to back it up with something like a link to a newspaper article or some council minutes.

• Advertisement

That is a fairly stunning claim, and I suppose in the intensity of the campaign it would be best to back it up with something like a link to a newspaper article or some council minutes.

Would be helpful really, some facts would help me decide but as it is I think Kavanagh will get something from me, not necessarily a number 1 but something.

Unfortunately I think Independants whilst they have influence at local level do not have any real clout at National level so I wont be voting for him.

I'd like to make the case that Independents can have an impact. It's the most simplist expression of our democracy that anyone can stand for election.

In this case, FG are convinced that the right thing to do with the bank bondholders is to return all of their money to them, via us taxpayers.

Stephen doesn't agree with that, and that would be one of the main planks of his campaign, that the bond holders should have to take some losses.

If people like you are to give him a no 1 vote and he gets elected, he has the opportunity to influence the government with your wishes, either as part of the government or as a vocal opposition. With the political reform that FG and Labour are proposing, the opposition would have a much larger role to play in the legislative process.

We also have to think of the next few elections. If someone like Donnelly gets elected this time, that could help get a few other Independents concerned with fairness into the next Dail. In time, they might come together as a party. That's how things worked in our early Dails - there have been independents since the very start.

A vote for Donnelly (for example) is the exact opposite of a wasted vote. It's a call for real change, an invitation for qualified people outside of our broken political system to come in and be part of the solution. I hope that you agree with this, and will consider giving him your number 1.

It could come down to a handful of votes, the last seat in Wicklow, and every no.1 counts. Vote for someone that really represents what you care about, and let them make all the difference that they can.

I'd like to make the case that Independents can have an impact. It's the most simplist expression of our democracy that anyone can stand for election.

In this case, FG are convinced that the right thing to do with the bank bondholders is to return all of their money to them, via us taxpayers.

Stephen doesn't agree with that, and that would be one of the main planks of his campaign, that the bond holders should have to take some losses.

If people like you are to give him a no 1 vote and he gets elected, he has the opportunity to influence the government with your wishes, either as part of the government or as a vocal opposition. With the political reform that FG and Labour are proposing, the opposition would have a much larger role to play in the legislative process.

We also have to think of the next few elections. If someone like Donnelly gets elected this time, that could help get a few other Independents concerned with fairness into the next Dail. In time, they might come together as a party. That's how things worked in our early Dails - there have been independents since the very start.

A vote for Donnelly (for example) is the exact opposite of a wasted vote. It's a call for real change, an invitation for qualified people outside of our broken political system to come in and be part of the solution. I hope that you agree with this, and will consider giving him your number 1.

It could come down to a handful of votes, the last seat in Wicklow, and every no.1 counts. Vote for someone that really represents what you care about, and let them make all the difference that they can.

If he was with a party with a platform I would gladly give him a vote but I cant get past the fact that I cant see him having enough influence on a National stage, I do admit he seems like a credible person.

No worries, sure it's great to read of people with the national level in mind when picking a candidate, I think it's been something missing from previous elections.

We'll just be amicably disagreeing on whether or not an independent can have an impact at a national level, and I hope Stephen gets the chance to show you what he's made of in Leinster house.

No worries, sure it's great to read of people with the national level in mind when picking a candidate, I think it's been something missing from previous elections.

We'll just be amicably disagreeing on whether or not an independent can have an impact at a national level, and I hope Stephen gets the chance to show you what he's made of in Leinster house.

Wish him the best and hope he has an influence if he does get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sylvesterallein

".....mac down the road could not afford a mortgage in the long term he went out and got one any way...."

But, GCgirl, once people who couldn't afford mortgages got council houses - somewhere along the way that seems to have stopped - leaving 'mac' vulnerable to cowboy landlords or other unsatisfactory solutions such as he/she and offspring squeezing into already crowded family homes...persuading 'mac' that he/she could afford a mortgage took him off the back of those who should have been responsible for his housing...of course there was 'affordable housing', another laugh as developers who were supposed to provide such schemes in return for planning permission dodged out of that one too....

• Advertisement

".....mac down the road could not afford a mortgage in the long term he went out and got one any way...."

But, GCgirl, once people who couldn't afford mortgages got council houses - somewhere along the way that seems to have stopped - leaving 'mac' vulnerable to cowboy landlords or other unsatisfactory solutions such as he/she and offspring squeezing into already crowded family homes...persuading 'mac' that he/she could afford a mortgage took him off the back of those who should have been responsible for his housing...of course there was 'affordable housing', another laugh as developers who were supposed to provide such schemes in return for planning permission dodged out of that one too....

I recently qualified (post boom) as an Auctioneer and I can tell you that the Developers and Politicians have always 'looked after' each other and affordable housing is a joke as they have always been given options to escape the necessity to provide these type of properties through monetary means or alternative means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No stunning/heat of the moment claim:

http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/premium/news/controversy-over-house-sale-is-cheap-gimmick-1718147.html
    Controversy over house sale is 'cheap gimmick'
    KAVANAGH SOLD FAMILY HOME TO TOWN COUNCIL FOR €375,000

Wednesday April 22 2009
    A COUNCILLOR has defended the sale of his house for €375,000 to Wicklow Town Council and has described the controversy as nothing more than a 'cheap electoral gimmick.

Obviously not in full but it did happen.

Mushy wrote: »
    No stunning/heat of the moment claim:

http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/premium/news/controversy-over-house-sale-is-cheap-gimmick-1718147.html

Obviously not in full but it did happen.

Where was the property, when was it sold, what were other properties in the area making at the time? Is there any more than accusations in the Wicklow People? (always regarded as a right wing paper by the way)
    As I said I just qualified as an Auctioneer and 375000 for any property in Wicklow does not make it overpriced?

Where was the property, when was it sold, what were other properties in the area making at the time? Is there any more than accusations in the Wicklow People? (always regarded as a right wing paper by the way)
    As I said I just qualified as an Auctioneer and 375000 for any property in Wicklow does not make it overpriced?

Would've been after the housing bubble, in the Wicklow Town area. Other properties were going for no more than 100k less than this. Why say accusations when its clearly not?

I would call it over-priced, especially after what has happened where I live (not too far from wicklow town).

Would've been after the housing bubble, in the Wicklow Town area. Other properties were going for no more than 100k less than this. Why say accusations when its clearly not?

I would call it over-priced, especially after what has happened where I live (not too far from wicklow town).

Well they are accusations arent they? If you could give me specifics on the property and the area I can call some auctioneers I know in the area and confirm what house prices and valuations were at the time.
    Property valuation is subjective unfortunately and it is determined by market forces. It is not an exact science and errors can be made but if you give me the exact address and the time it was sold I can check with IPAV and local auctioneers as to the value they had on the property or similar properties at the time.

• Advertisement

Well they are accusations arent they? If you could give me specifics on the property and the area I can call some auctioneers I know in the area and confirm what house prices and valuations were at the time.
    Property valuation is subjective unfortunately and it is determined by market forces. It is not an exact science and errors can be made but if you give me the exact address and the time it was sold I can check with IPAV and local auctioneers as to the value they had on the property or similar properties at the time.

Would places have valuations on houses that weren't on the market?

BTW I'm not attacking him, somebody just asked for a link so I provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I know quite a few married couples getting council houses like the rest of us they had to wait and privatly rent till we got one

Would places have valuations on houses that weren't on the market?

BTW I'm not attacking him, somebody just asked for a link so I provided.

Yes of course there would be valuations available for properties even if they were on the market, any property can be valued based on similar properties. No you are not attacking him? Put some links up about the other candidates to show your unbiased nature? Because I have googled this issue regarding Conal Kavanagh and I could not find the above link anywhere, it is obvious that it was known and used deliberately by whomever linked it originally as no matter what links I searched for I could not find it. I also cannot find any further details on the allegations so if you know the exact address of the property and the time it was sold it would be of great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It did happen, & it was a very generous price.

Thanks to the person who posted the link from the Wicklow People, that was where I seen it.

I know the house in question, near Kilmantin Hill, nice gaff, but nowhere near the value purchased for.

Its not the first time thats happened in Wicklow town though.

Anyways, I know this will cost him some votes

Yes but that was the then current Market price 3 beds were going for that in rathnew and I think it was poss sold 2006/07 period a mad price now but that was what it was like back pre fall

I still havent seen the exact house number and road that he sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I will be voting for John Brady as he is superb for dealing with local issues. I have tried time and time again to sort local problems with the council with no joy. One call to John Brady and the issue gets resolved.

As for Stephen Donnelly or any other Independent, will they as part of political reform vote to abolish the leaders payment. I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Id vote for Jim Tallon before Roche.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Id vote for Jim Tallon before Roche.

I seriously wonder about the sanity of people who would vote for Dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

In fact, Jim tallon should have been given a spot on the debate.

That would have been classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I seriously wonder about the sanity of people who would vote for Dick.

Maybe Dick has contacts with the council too. One call to Dick and the issue gets resolved. A fine reason to vote for someone, wouldn't you agree?

National issues for the td's, local issues for the local councillors that's the way it should be !

Maybe Dick has contacts with the council too. One call to Dick and the issue gets resolved. A fine reason to vote for someone, wouldn't you agree?

There is a slight issue with Dick. He is a member of the Fianna Failures :D

That depends if you want the same type of politics that got us into this mess, or a different type that has a chance of getting us out of it.

Yes of course there would be valuations available for properties even if they were on the market, any property can be valued based on similar properties. No you are not attacking him? Put some links up about the other candidates to show your unbiased nature? Because I have googled this issue regarding Conal Kavanagh and I could not find the above link anywhere, it is obvious that it was known and used deliberately by whomever linked it originally as no matter what links I searched for I could not find it. I also cannot find any further details on the allegations so if you know the exact address of the property and the time it was sold it would be of great help.

Look somebody requested a link and I provided. Just cos you used google does not make my link invalid. I used the search function on wicklow people website. There is no more there cos need to sign up to site for more info.

Dont have any links but I can tell you I am contemplating voting gor him so why would I attack him?

Not in my experience ,12 months on an issue and the county managers told him to eff off in the end ,in fairness he tried.But that's not what he should be paid to do ,he should be running the country with the rest of the ministers and there should be a localised person dealing with these issues on his behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

Not in my experience ,12 months on an issue and the county managers told him to eff off in the end ,in fairness he tried.But that's not what he should be paid to do ,he should be running the country with the rest of the ministers and there should be a localised person dealing with these issues on his behalf.

Missing my point there a bit. I was just letting Antrim_Man know how a voter with the same local issue based priorities as himself may actually vote for someone as unquestionably incompetent as Dick Roche, simply because they're a great man for getting medical cards.

Brady may be a perfectly reasonable choice on the ballot paper but just because he sorted out the council that time isn't a good enough reason. Wider policies have to come into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

One call to Dick and the issue gets resolved.
    How bad do you have to be for Bertie to demote ya? 'Little Dick' Roche is an embarrassment and he personifies all that is corrupt in our 'wink-and-a-nod' political system.

juuge wrote: »
    How bad do you have to be for Bertie to demote ya? 'Little Dick' Roche is an embarrassment and he personifies all that is corrupt in our 'wink-and-a-nod' political system.

I know what you're saying but you wouldn't believe how many people are going to vote for him where I live (North West Wicklow) ,because they think he's a "sound lad and a nice fella":confused: Jesus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I saw Billy Timmins handing out his leaflets a few times over the last few days in Blessington and I also have had FF ,Dick Roache's wife to be exact at my door yesterday looking for support.I haven't seen anyone else canvassing the area and calling to doors.
    Still havent got even one politician to our door...:confused:

I do think Timmins will get in with his keep a TD in west wicklow campaign, but I havent heard of anyone in WW saying they would vote for Roche.
    Unless they are too ashamed to admit it!:(

Advertisement