Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

well it is going to be a LONG SLOW count if the returning officer is insisting on only eliminating the candidate with the lowest votes each round. whilst there are so many candidates still in - and obv a fair few without a hope in hells chance of succeeding now - she should be eliminating more than one to speed up the process. when we get closer to the top, with the main players THEN she should start eliminating one by one. if she keeps going the way she is however we MAY have the final results by the middle of the week! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

There be a specific method for eliminating people and the way its gone it can only be one by one:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Boring boring wonders if it will go in to tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ergo

gcgirl wrote: »
    I'm right as always Wicklow is such a hole

very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

It's looking like Ferris will take the 4th seat from transfers and Brady and Donnelly will be battling for the 5th ,there's 500 votes between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why is this taking so long? I mean, how much time do they need to resistribute a few hundred votes from each of the no-hoper independent candidates and get into the real meat of the count? Can they not establish some kind of cutoff, and eliminate a whole bunch of them in one go or something?

ergo wrote: »
    very helpful

As always :) but seriously the situation on not knowing what bundles of 50/100 were was rather laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Alun wrote: »
    Why is this taking so long? I mean, how much time do they need to resistribute a few hundred votes from each of the no-hoper independent candidates and get into the real meat of the count? Can they not establish some kind of cutoff, and eliminate a whole bunch of them in one go or something?

Because, in line with a long-standing tradition in Wicklow, the ballot papers are... counted... very... very... very... very... slowly...

The result of the 6th count is now in, and apparently Charlie Keddy has been eliminated. It's just one shock after another with this election. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

RayM wrote: »
    Because, in line with a long-standing tradition in Wicklow, the ballot papers are... counted... very... very... very... very... slowly...

The result of the 6th count is now in, and apparently Charlie Keddy has been eliminated. It's just one shock after another with this election. :)

Charlie Keddy is gone? :eek: dear god!! Who next? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are the Wicklow staff holding out for overtime? :D

Agree to their demands and pay them what they want, hurry up!

Are the Wicklow staff holding out for overtime? :D

Agree to their demands and pay them what they want, hurry up!

It's like watching paint dry ,c'mon get the finger out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there much point eliminating 1 at a time when it won't give enough seats to make anyone elected?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 colsmiff

A damning indictment of Fianna Fail's failed education policies ;)

i swear we are being seen as a joke by the rest of the country. they can't confirm who is gonna b in government next (like is it gonna b a coalition or **** like that) until everyone is elected. and we, paddy last as usual, are holding the whole show up. it is completely nuts.

most of these indos haven't a hope of getting elected and yet we must eliminated them one by one, and count their votes. their votes do not seem to overly be helping anyone get elected. and why on earth does it take something like an hour to redistribute a couple hundred at most votes!!! seriously it smacks of a lack of education in our county!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Looks like Donnelly is doing well out of the transfers, as is Brady. I believe it is important to get these redistributions done when it's going to be so tight for that last seat(s).

• Advertisement

Senior infants in St Kevins grey stones would be slightly faster at counting anybody down there

Wicklow, Count 8. KAVANAGH Pat (IND) excluded ,source twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It's been done the right way, by the book. With things so close, the returning officer is making sure that everything is accurate. Couldn't ask for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ergo

gcgirl wrote: »
    As always :) but seriously the situation on not knowing what bundles of 50/100 were was rather laughable

it was laughable but that's not what your comment said!

but I've just realised you're a native so I can't get too defensive over your generalised comments on Wicklow...;)

re the slowness, didn't they draft someone in from Carlow to oversee the count because it's been so slow in WW historically..? surely we can blame somebody else for this...:rolleyes:

If you go back to 87,92 and even 97 it was far faster usually had a few in by evening time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

What are they doing in wicklow lol :confused: Hurry up :mad:

caseyann wrote: »
    What are they doing in wicklow lol :confused: Hurry up :mad:

Tea break for counting the like 200 votes or so I'm sure:rolleyes:

No candidate reaches quota. Inds Nicky Kelly & Donal Kiernan eliminated. Their 585 & 472 votes redistributed

Some body forgot to buy the Jaffa cakes devastation in the Wicklow count centre :-/

Mushy wrote: »
    Tea break for counting the like 200 votes or so I'm sure:rolleyes:
    Go over and kick them in ass :mad::D

caseyann wrote: »
    Go over and kick them in ass :mad::D

I would, but this is my second day not getting dressed so I'm not moving.

I would, but this is my second day not getting dressed so I'm not moving.

HAHAHA what is it a lazy weekend with cookies and tea :p Enjoy :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If only we had automated e-voting.

Oh. Right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alun wrote: »
    you need a quarter of a quota to get election expenses, the bottom 10 or so candidates combined are below this and so couldn't resonably be expected to make it to a quarter quota.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If only we had automated e-voting.

Oh. Right.
    2 votes between the guys over in Galway, so no hidden counting mechanisms thank you especially when the decision on which votes to transfer is pseudorandom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

2 votes between the guys over in Galway, so no hidden counting mechanisms thank you especially when the decision on which votes to transfer is pseudorandom

Can't complain, they are indeed doing it by the book, just a very slow process is all!

Still hoping Donnelly will gain the lingering fifth seat, although it's looking like the two other Labour candidates will be eliminated at some point, which means we can't count out Ferris just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Can't complain, they are indeed doing it by the book, just a very slow process is all!

Still hoping Donnelly will gain the lingering fifth seat, although it's looking like the two other Labour candidates will be eliminated at some point, which means we can't count out Ferris just yet.
    Indeed, he'd need to overtake Brady to have any chance. He seems to be picking up a lot of transfers from the other IND and SF are historically transfer toxic, so there is still a posibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

One of the stupider aspects of the e-voting system was that it preserved the random selection of which votes to transfer.

There was no need to do this, since in a computerised system it would have been trivially easy to distribute fractional votes to achieve complete proportionality, in the same way as is done in Senate elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

Can't believe RTE are going off air just when Wicklow is about to get really interesting!! :mad:

Dannygirl wrote: »
    Can't believe RTE are going off air just when Wicklow is about to get really interesting!! :mad:

Raging myself.

Anyone any idea where I can keep up to date on what's going on at the Wicklow count?

But...but the important areas of Dublin are finished.

Operation trans****ination rte1 or come dine with me on tv3 is it even on line ?

Wicklow 11th count result: No candidates reached quota. Green Niall Byrne & Ind Peter Dempsey eliminated.

Raging myself.

Anyone any idea where I can keep up to date on what's going on at the Wicklow count?

Twitter #wk or #wicklow or #ge11
    or rte http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/wicklow.html
    :)

• Advertisement

But...but the important areas of Dublin are finished.

:P

Twitter #wk or #wicklow or #ge11
    or rte http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/wicklow.html
    :)

Yep just posting for the folks that don't use it;)

Yep just posting for the folks that don't use it;)

Good on ya. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

gizmo555 wrote: »
    One of the stupider aspects of the e-voting system was that it preserved the random selection of which votes to transfer.

There was no need to do this, since in a computerised system it would have been trivially easy to distribute fractional votes to achieve complete proportionality, in the same way as is done in Senate elections.
    Jesus, and here I've thought for years that the votes were transferred proportionally. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Raging myself.

As well as the other links, this spreadsheet is updated as it happens. 'tis useful as it shows how the transfers are going nicely.

Wow Wicklow is having fun.Some new thing if last one to elect you get a party?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

NewsTalk still providing election coverage btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Wicklow 11th count result: No candidates reached quota. Green Niall Byrne & Ind Peter Dempsey eliminated.

Huge kudos to skearon (www.kearon.ie) who is keeping this spreadsheet up to date

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=0Ar7pcGP88I2RdDNzVnN5X3Qydl96Q1FnR2hwb0tlekE&hl=en&authkey=CMX9hIkF

After the 11th count, there are about 2800 votes from Byrne and Dempsey to be distributed. I'd expect that Donnelly will pick up double the amount that Brady will from this set (said as a biased Donnelly supporter!)

Having said that, this SF candidate is not as transfer toxic, at all at all, as other SF candidates around the country. He has a strong reputation around Wicklow, I hear.

My take on the Labour candidate would be that Ferris is certain to get a seat even though she is still in 6th place - she will surely get the transfers from her two running mates that don't make it.

edanto wrote: »
    Huge kudos to skearon (www.kearon.ie) who is keeping this spreadsheet up to date

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=0Ar7pcGP88I2RdDNzVnN5X3Qydl96Q1FnR2hwb0tlekE&hl=en&authkey=CMX9hIkF

After the 11th count, there are about 2800 votes from Byrne and Dempsey to be distributed. I'd expect that Donnelly will pick up double the amount that Brady will from this set (said as a biased Donnelly supporter!)

Having said that, this SF candidate is not as transfer toxic, at all at all, as other SF candidates around the country. He has a strong reputation around Wicklow, I hear.

My take on the Labour candidate would be that Ferris is certain to get a seat even though she is still in 6th place - she will surely get the transfers from her two running mates that don't make it.

John Brady is very popular round Wicklow alright. Quite popular in Arklow too I think.
    I think you're right about Ferris. Going to get a hell of a lot of transfers off the next 2 eliminations. Fortune and Kavanagh.

yes Ferris will make up huge ground once Fortune and Kavanagh are eliminated as she will receive the majority of transfers from them whilst both Brady and Donnelly will remain, near enough, on what they were on from the previous round. Should be an interesting one though in the next couple of counts.

And I hear that both Enda Kenny and Gerry Adams are gonna b headin to d wicklow count centre soon!!! oh dear and RTE went off air. mind you i'd say they still have cameras there - will goodbody is still there after all. so if something exciting happens i am sure it'l b on the six1

If by interesting you mean there are at least 5 counts to go before anyone could possibly be elected ;)

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/wicklow.html11,764

Doyle has gone from 10041 to 10270 on 11 counts
    can't possibly reach the quota of 11,764 for another 5 counts ( and that would require 75% of the votes going to him)

• Advertisement
Advertisement