Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What a loser.

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, hey hey, goodbye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Dick Roche ya bastard! Making me wait another day for the ultimate Portillo moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

a brill tweet here

Ben Ali, Mubarak ,Gaddafi now Roche... The people have spoken... accept it... move on for f*cks sake..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Alun wrote: »
    What's the procedure for requesting a recount? Can they be refused? What if they're still not satisfied after the recount .. are there checks in place to ensure the count doesn't go on forever?
    I think they can be refused if the RO deems the gap to be too large, but given it's only 3 votes, even though it's extremely unlikely Roche will be elected, he did (unfortunately) have every right to call for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

His arrogance knows no bounds. But hey, isn't karma a great thing, even if it was a little slow to arrive at his door. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wageworks

what is this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any candidate who loses by three votes should ask for a recount.

Nothing arrogant or being a sore loser about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is this really true about Roche?

Why would he do this? Understand if it was close and he had a chance of getting in but it's obvious he has none!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just looked at the figures here.

It looks like Roche is hoping that Fitzgerald, FF would get eliminated before him in the recount. That would jump him above Behan, IND ex FF who would get eliminated in the next round. If Roche got enough of Behans transfers, he could get elected.

Looking at it objectively, Behan would transfer much more votes to Roche, than Fitzgerald as they are in the same area. So, from a FF vote management point of view, this makes sense. It gives FF a better chance of getting a seat.

I still think Roche is a pr*ck though...

Any candidate who loses by three votes should ask for a recount.

Nothing arrogant or being a sore loser about it

So he goes out three points behind his FF colleague or three ahead. Not exactly life changing stuff. He's gone. He's out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,295 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The leading FFer in Wicklow will be in with a shout of one the last seats assuming there is very strong transfer to the other FFer. Roche is trying to be in that position at the expense of his running mate Fitzgerald as he feels he can get more transfers than Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm really hoping for the exact opposite.

Donnelly's a good guy.

So's John

arctictree wrote: »
    Just looked at the figures here.

It looks like Roche is hoping that Fitzgerald, FF would get eliminated before him in the recount. That would jump him above Behan, IND ex FF who would get eliminated in the next round. If Roche got enough of Behans transfers, he could get elected.

Looking at it objectively, Behan would transfer much more votes to Roche, than Fitzgerald as they are in the same area. So, from a FF vote management point of view, this makes sense. It gives FF a better chance of getting a seat.

I still think Roche is a pr*ck though...

I don't believe he'll get that many Behan transfers, but time will tell. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

*bangs head against wall*

Dick Roche - a parody of a politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,295 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

From RTE
    1920 Wicklow: Fianna Fáil candidate Dick Roche's election agent said Mr Roche still feels he is in with a shout for the last seat.

David Grant said the count is very close and Mr Roche is better positioned than his running mate to benefit from transfers further on in the count process.

He said any candidate would have done the same thing if in the same position as Mr Roche.

But Sinn Féin candidate John Brady said that while it was Mr Roche's democratic right to call for a recount, he did not believe Mr Roche was still in contention to retain his seat.

He described it as a face-saving exercise and a final kicking of the people from an outgoing minister before he leaves power.

Mr Brady added that because many of the count staff work for Wicklow County Council, the recount would bring the county to a standstill tomorrow.

Fine Gael candidate Simon Harris said Mr Roche's decision was disappointing.

He said any candidate is entitled to a full recount, but considering Mr Roche's position in the count it represents a significant waste of resources. He said power doesn't give up easily.

Fine Gael's Andrew Doyle said he didn't think the recount would materially change the outcome of the Wicklow election. He warned that a further recount may materialise when the last seat is being fought for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

From RTE
    Roche is gone.There is a GOD!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

but he isn't gone yet. fecker was getting the heave so he called for a COMPLETE recount of all the votes for all 24 candidates. took two days to get that far and he wants to go back thru it all again cos he can't accept we don't want him and piss off. he was THREE votes behind Fitzgerald and that must have rankled him something rotten. Parantly when he got kicked out (before he called the recount) there was a massive cheer round the count centre! :D can just imagine it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Neither Fitzgerald or behan transferred well to roche, but roche transferred very well to them. It's not that roche thinks he has a chance of getting elected, rather he wants to thwart Fitzgerald and behan's (albeit tiny) chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

hdowney wrote: »
    but he isn't gone yet. fecker was getting the heave so he called for a COMPLETE recount of all the votes for all 24 candidates. took two days to get that far and he wants to go back thru it all again cos he can't accept we don't want him and piss off. he was THREE votes behind Fitzgerald and that must have rankled him something rotten. Parantly when he got kicked out (before he called the recount) there was a massive cheer round the count centre! :D can just imagine it!
    This is proof of the arrogance of the man. He should be made foot the bill for the cost of the recount which will take place on a working day and all the disruption this will cause to the people/ commerce of Wicklow.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I cant believe its getting recounted! Must be some serious money in that counting business!

I just came on to find out who got in because ive been out all day!

My face just went :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I cant believe its getting recounted! Must be some serious money in that counting business!

I just came on to find out who got in because ive been out all day!

My face just went :eek:

It's ridiculous ,I can't believe he's willing to hold up county operations on his pathetic cling to power ,he's not going to get a seat anyway and the electorate will shun him in the future from this utterly stupid move.

I can see the method in the madness but he needs a fcuking reality check on this ,hopefully he'll sleep on it and give up tomorrow

Not likely ,he's a stubborn bollocks ,and a feckin' baby throwing his toys out of his pram!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Roche hanging on for dear life. The guy has no credibiliy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Live recount can be viewed here: http://tinyurl.com/wicklowrecount

Dont expect figures for awhile yet :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thanks for that link skearon.
    Some updates this morning from http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/wicklow.html:

wicklow.jpg

Oh crap flash backs of 2002 here was it 5 or 6 days ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

gcgirl wrote: »

:eek:

I don't remember that at all. Crikey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

gcgirl wrote: »

HAHA i couldnt believe it when they said it on the news last night.That it is a usual occurrence in Wicklow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

roche is just as vile in the flesh.

• Advertisement

Pat the plank reminded me Nicky Kelly v Mildred Fox fox came out on top

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow..... having screwed the country for 50 million worth of wasted tax payers money on the voting machine scandal.... he says it would be easy if we had electronic voting!! Oh the irony...

DeV.

While we are waiting for dick roche to be excluded here is another clip from the BBC where he says that the bailout can't be re negotiated

How did this gombeen ever get elected to begin with

Useless arrogant politician

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/hardtalk/9405522.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cant wait for his elimination. A lovely bright sunny day that will only get better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

My bad - I thought the first count was in, but I was a little hasty. Sorry 'bout that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hope Donnelly gets in on transfers - another economic independent would be a worthy addition to the Dail.

• Advertisement

Pat Fitz has criticised Dick for calling for a recount.

Good call, your running mate having a go at you now Dick.
    Maybe you should call him anti-democratic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Any idea when the recount results will be announced? It shouldn't take as long as Saturday since the votes are at least sorted- or is that wishful thinking??

After this they STILL have to go through the rest of the eliminations, and a likely recount for the 5th seat. This will probably take the rest of the week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Hope Donnelly gets in on transfers - another economic independent would be a worthy addition to the Dail.

+1 he should be a great addition to Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

RTE website is saying wicklow hasnt even decided one seat yet.

wtf??

Its been three days.

Plainly they're screwing up, that much is obvious, so isnt there anyone who can step in? Or does the country just have to sit back and watch this fiasco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Don't hold your breath folks, another re-count of the re-count of the original count....I think :

From Twitter :

RTEwicklow RTEwicklow
    Full Wicklolw recount now seems pretty certain. Multiple candidates apparently unhappy with morning's "recheck" proceedings #wk #hereforever
    18 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    RTE website is saying wicklow hasnt even decided one seat yet.

wtf??

Its been three days.

Plainly they're screwing up, that much is obvious, so isnt there anyone who can step in? Or does the country just have to sit back and watch this fiasco?

What the hell?

They aren't screwing up, what the hell kind of nonsense reductive logic is that?

No candidate has had enough votes to be deemed elected and a candidate has requested a recount.
    How bout you have a little read around, maybe find out whats going on before you start to bandy around accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

d'Oracle wrote: »
    How bout you have a little read around, maybe find out whats going on before you start to bandy around accusations.

The rest of the country has crossed the finish line, had dinner, watched telly, and gone to bed, while wicklow is still stumbling along trying to decide whether to stack ballots in piles of 50 or 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

the rest of the country isn't finished. there are 166 seats to be filled. only 154 of them are filled so far. wicklow have only 5 seats which would bring the number up to 159. so.......
    read properly and don't accuse us of being to only ones holding it up

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The rest of the country has crossed the finish line, had dinner, watched telly, and gone to bed, while wicklow is still stumbling along trying to decide whether to stack ballots in piles of 50 or 100.

24 Candidates.
    5 Seats.

No Candidates with Quotas after 13 counts.
    And a full recount. With the legal teams of SF and FF watching very carefully.

Not to mention our ballot looked like this.

Democracy is slow, but it is thorough.

Come on wicklow , get a move on !

Chop chop !

:)

I think everybody needs to stop talking this "Speed up" Nonsense.
    Recounts are part of the democratic process.

Wicklow will probably be recounting for ages, because after this crap is done and Roche is out on his hole, there is the matter of the 5th seat to be settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Its annoying that little progress has been made in Wicklow but its completely bloody understandable.

First off there were way too many candidates, then after the first count it transpired that the way the votes lay they would have to transfer all the pointless independents votes individually because there was no point at which you could say a candidate had more votes than the sum of the preceding. Don't forget the issues surrounding spoilt votes that delayed the announcing of the first count for several hours on Saturday.

And then the muppet asked for a recount, as of now recounts are also still ongoing in Galway West and Laois/Offaly.

Anybody who's blaming those working there can get over themselves.

I'm wondering who these candidates are who want a full recount, and what their reasoning is for it, anybody know?

Dick says this wouldn't have happened if we had electronic voting. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Dick says this wouldn't have happened if we had electronic voting. :D
    Of course it wouldn't, he would have had half a quota pre-loaded on the machines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

fenris wrote: »
    Of course it wouldn't, he would have had half a quota pre-loaded on the machines!

Is there an in out slot on them e-voting machines for brown envelopes sherlockzk0.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement