Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding your way around Dublin

Options
  • 23-01-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I'm doing some research into 'urban navigation' for a college project, using Dublin as an example. I've noticed quite a few threads on here where, for example, new arrivals ask questions about different areas to get their bearings, or people simply ask for the best way to get to a certain place using a certain method of transport. These questions always seem to be answered well, and quickly, and it's clear a lot of local knowledge is being shared.

What I'm wondering is this: are people using this site in conjunction with other resources, and how does the information given here compare with those other resources for usefulness and accuracy?

If anyone here has been helped recently, to settle in as a new arrival, to figure out the best time/route to go to a certain place, anything like that, it would be great if you could comment here about how boards users helped you, and what other tools you used to accomplish the task.

Thanks for reading,

Glen.

EDIT: I've added a short blog post about this here, as I'm trying to develop this project publicly to some extent. Any comments are welcome on the blog as well as here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 glenf

Maybe I should have been more straightforward. I'll try again:

When you're looking for directions somewhere, or trying to find recommendations for places to go, what do you do? (websites, books, asking people on the street, etc.)

I appreciate any replies, no matter how simple.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I am a Dubliner, but when trying to find a road I don't know I will use google maps to pinpoint and then head off. I haven't replaced my broken satnav, but might in the future. Asking people is a yes in the city, I have never been given or myself given wrong directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

If I don't know where somewhere is I will also use Google maps and sometimes a street atlas.
    I've never used Boards to ask directions (That I can remember anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Same as the previous posters I have a look at google maps if I am not sure just to pinpoint the location.
    I don't drive but tend to walk rather than taking the bus. If you walk you have more time to take in certain landmarks and it makes it easier to find my way. I am a blow in here but think by now I know the are as good as any local would at least around the centre.
    The city is a nightmare for people who don't know the city well. To many one-way streets, no - or insufficient signpost doesn't make the city very visitor friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Also if it's a long way off I use the AA routeplanner. If none of my methods work then as a last resort I will roll down the window and ask directions:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone. Google maps seems to be the popular choice..

Interesting point about giving/being given wrong directions. I knew a guy who always used to send tourists the long way round to anywhere they asked directions for. They'd be accurate directions, just take 3 times longer than necessary..

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Google maps definitely!!

How about if you're looking for a particular kind of place, a pharmacy or something for example. Still google maps, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I would look up the street address, and then google maps. I tend not to trust the "places" on google maps but would put in 25 camden St etc and have found that to be very handy. Also would check the street view level if I was looking for an specific business. I tend to use it alot for foreign travel as well, for instance how to get from some train station to your hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Google Street View. Has revolutionised travel information for me.

Say I know where I'm staying I'll take an afternoon and "virtually" walk the streets (cof) to get my bearings so when I'm actually there I won't have the big doe eyes on me. Staring at the locals waiting for eye contact before asking a question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

If I'm heading somewhere where I haven't been before, I always check Google Maps before I head out. If it's too far to walk Google Maps also shows which buses I can take to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I'm a Dubliner, but still have to check sometimes! Especially as you say, with one-way streets, car parking facilities etc.

My first port of call is the old faithful (Non-IT) street map.

If that doesn't work, then AA Routeplanner or Google street maps.

I love hearing recommendations about car parks/restaurants/places to go. This website would be one of them I'd use for that info. though there are a few other websites which give good info. on car parks.

I wouldn't normally use this website to ask for directions though!

I also can't understand why people ask here about buses, when dublin bus has a good website.

Advertisement