Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof truss insulation

• 23-01-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Hi all I have an old house 100 years + insulation fine everywhere but I,m trying to improve insulation. What is the best method of insulating under roof trusses in attic,standard pitch roof.

Thanks for any help

Pavb2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

pavb2 wrote: »
    Hi all I have an old house 100 years + insulation fine everywhere but I,m trying to improve insulation. What is the best method of insulating under roof trusses in attic,standard pitch roof.

Thanks for any help

Pavb2

If it is a cold attic there is no point . Beef up existing ceiling attic insulation to 300mm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gsxr1 wrote: »
    If it is a cold attic there is no point . Beef up existing ceiling attic insulation to 300mm

+1 to what he said.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks for response it's just that attic is completely boarded out so I thought insulation panels between roof trusses would be easier but if it makes no difference then maybe I've just got to lift them (and move all the cr*p out) and increase existing to 300mm.

Thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

pavb2 wrote: »
    Thanks for response it's just that attic is completely boarded out so I thought insulation panels between roof trusses would be easier but if it makes no difference then maybe I've just got to lift them (and move all the cr*p out) and increase existing to 300mm.

Thanks again

Kingspan 100mm thick insulated loft/walk boards.

Problem solved.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

paddy147 wrote: »
    Kingspan 100mm thick insulated loft/walk boards.

Problem solved.:)

They are a good job but make sure there is sufficient insulation between the joists otherwise you'll get thermal looping which greatly reduces their effectiveness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭pavb2

Have put 150mm insulation under loft boards, original 150 insulation had deteriorated, doesn't seem much warmer.

Measured lowest room temp before was about 11 degrees new minimum temp is around 12- 13 I thought it would be a bit warmer.

Highest before was about 17 degrees now about 20

What room temps should I hope to get?

So is this adequate or should I go with loft boards as well or lay another 150mm insulation on top of boards

Advertisement