Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 23-01-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

I got a tattoo on my back on Thursday and I've been following the after care instructions but today it's really started to sting, is that normal? It's scabbing over very lightly and there's no sign of infection. Advice welcome :) I'm using bepanthen cream.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

You didn't use any shower cream or body scrub or nothing like that? May have gotten onto the tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

No. The aftercare instructions said to use a good quality liquid soa for the cleaning and I've been using Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

how often are you cleaning it and applying cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

One of my tattoos stung for a few days after I got it too, especially after applying the bepanthen. It doesn't last though and just massage in the bep well but gently. I initially found applying the bep worse than getting the tattoo! It depends on the amount of work you had on the one area, shading, colour etc. The skin has been broken with a needle hundreds of times, its going to be tender! The sting should subside after a while once you've applied the bepanthen. If your really worried or think its more serious than that - go back to your tattooist. I also found paracetamol helped the first day or two.

For soap I used Johnson's baby soap as I found it to contain the least amount of chemicals.

Some of the other people here will have more experience than me and may have other better suggestions, but that was my personal experience.

Again following the instructions so 2 to 3 times a day. Cheers for all the advice , I'm just a little nervous as its my first tattoo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

eh i think its the simple stuff!that stuff is actually bad for your skin (even as a moisturiser for daily use) worse than ones with alcohol... i recommend dove or olay products (not just for tattoos but in general, prevent your skin aging so quickly)

It's no longer stinging but I have moved into the itching stage, it's taking all of my self control not to scratch! I don't normally use simple on my skin but it is the only thing that doesn't set off my eczema on my hands, even E45 doesn't help there and actually makes it worse. I bought Johnsons baby bath and that seems to be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

slap it if it gets itchy, it stops it...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Do not scratch it whatever you do..you are having all the usual reactions after having a tatoo done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RRaff

The best thing to use is Perparation H (yes that stuff for your backside). It is designed to stop itching, infections and is fantastic at speeding up healing time. I've used it on all of my tattoos and i have never once had a problem! Just make sure you get the cream and not the suppository form!!! :)

• Advertisement

I'm not scratching:p I do find doing something helps take my mind off it:) I may get my next tattoo elsewhere though as it is hard to take care of it when I can't see it!

Is it normal for the skin to peel after a tattoo? Whenever I use the moisturiser I find flakes of skin with ink on them on my hand. Also, the skin on my back has gone very red, not the tattoo itself but the rest of my back is quite red and itchy, is this okay or should I change the moisturiser? I'm using E45 which does upset the eczema on my hands but as I don't get eczema anywhere else I thought it would be okay to use on the tattoo. Would Johnsons Baby Lotion be okay to use instead?

Also, sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure everything is as normal and appreciate all the help you guys can give me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

Peeling is normal but its not normal for other skin to become red as a result of a tattoo. Maybe check that out. Is it an eczema flare up? If you think its the lotion use a different one, johnsons would be fine. Take an anti histamine to reduce redness/itch. I used bepanthen for a couple of weeks after getting a tattoo as it keeps the tattoo moistened for longer than lotion. If you didn't have any reactions to that you could continue to use it.

Oh, I thought I had to use a different moisturiser after Bepanthen, I'll go back to that then :-) I haven't ever gotten eczema on any other part of my body other than my hands so I don't know:confused: I'll use the bepanthan and see how I get on, if it doesn't clear up I'll get it checked. Hopefully it's just the E45.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've always used Bepanthen on mine till they're fully healed. Shouldn't be a problem with that.

I'm back to Bepanthen which seems to be doing a better job than the E45:) I still have hives on my back but I'm taking an antihistamine so they should clear up, hopefully!

Advertisement